Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nuts and high fat diet healthy?
Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: March 11, 2014 11:29AM

I've been doing some body building lately and my coach and trainer say that a diet high in fat is not good for the heart.

Is that for ALL fat or bad fat like animal flesh etc?

Its very hard to find lean proteins on a vegan diet. Most of the raw protein sources are high fat. I guess beans then?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nuts and high fat diet healthy?
Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: March 11, 2014 11:49AM

It is called the Conductivity Diet.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: March 11, 2014 01:28PM

<<<Its very hard to find lean proteins on a vegan diet.>>>

Leafy Greens are EXTREMELY HIGH IN PROTEIN!!!

If you cannot eat enough of them, juice the rest of them!

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 11, 2014 01:52PM

Wild Atlantic Nori has a lot of protein and real B12, too. It doesn't have a lot of iodine in it so you won't have to worry about eating too much of it.

If you have a VitaMix blender you can just crush it up and mix it with you're green drinks, salad dressings, and cold soups. Just add an extra cup of water per 10 grams of nori if you add the nori in dry like I do.

I like to round out the flavor when I add seaweeds with a T. or two of birch xylitol. If you're ok with using sugar you can use orange juice instead of the extra water and xylitol.

[pubs.acs.org]

I get mine here...

[www.theseaweedman.com]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 11, 2014 06:32PM

it's not hard at all....

[api.ning.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 11, 2014 07:14PM

fats not good for the heart?

there are different kinds of fats

Date: March 11, 2014 07:38PM

clank72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been doing some body building lately and my
> coach and trainer say that a diet high in fat is
> not good for the heart.
>
> Is that for ALL fat

According to new research it looks like your coach may be somewhat correct, but not entirely. New research indicates that high consumption of monounsaturated fats has the same negative effects on the heart that animals fats do IF had in excess. This doesn't mean you need to avoid most of the nuts and seeds, but it means you need to choose your nuts and seeds wisely and not overdo the high monounsaturated fats. For eg, eating more of the polyunsaturated fats in walnuts, chia seeds and flax is a good start (omega 3 foods), and do the other nuts and seeds in moderation.

But whatever happens, NO OIL added. Here is the highly regareded Dr Caldwell Esselstyn talking about the high oil diets and how it is contributing to heart disease like animal fats do when had in excess.

[www.youtube.com]

John Rose Wrote:
> <<>>
>
> Leafy Greens are EXTREMELY HIGH IN PROTEIN!!!
>
> If you cannot eat enough of them, juice the rest
> of them!

Yes John, they are excellent, especially the sprouted greens. Can't go wrong with those. HHI say that 16 oz of green sprout juice provides 25 grams of predigested protein. The green juices are great for body building. And when you combine the green sprout juices with seaweeds, some high polyunsaturated fat seeds like chia/flax/walnut and algaes you are on a winner. But also, sprouted legumes with fermented sprouted grains are a winner too.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: March 11, 2014 07:44PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> Yes John, they are excellent, especially the
> sprouted greens. Can't go wrong with those. HHI
> say that 16 oz of green sprout juice provides 25
> grams of predigested protein. The green juices are
> great for body building.

I wonder if that is correct, if so that is a comparable amount of protein to other traditional bodybuilding sources. Some of the nutritional analysis on the likes of wheatgrass juice i have to wonder if it is credible, especially the high amounts of zinc. I wonder what the balance of amino acids is like also, some plants can be abit imbalanced and incomplete not that it is that important, as its the overall intake in the day which matters most.

The algaes such as chlorella and spirulina are also good sources of easily digestible amino acids.

I haven't juiced sprouts in a while, must add a bunch to my next green juice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 07:49PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:12PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Wild Atlantic Nori has a lot of protein and real
> B12, too. It doesn't have a lot of iodine in it so
> you won't have to worry about eating too much of
> it.
>
> If you have a VitaMix blender you can just
> crush it up and mix it with you're green drinks,
> salad dressings, and cold soups. Just add an extra
> cup of water per 10 grams of nori if you add the
> nori in dry like I do.
>
> I like to round out the flavor when I add
> seaweeds with a T. or two of birch xylitol. If
> you're ok with using sugar you can use orange
> juice instead of the extra water and xylitol.
>
> [pubs.acs.org]
>
>
> I get mine here...
>
> [www.theseaweedman.com]

Also, I almost forgot to mention...

Raw Fats and Oils Will Kill You
[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 11, 2014 08:46PM

powerlifter Wrote:

>
> I wonder if that is correct, if so that is a
> comparable amount of protein to other traditional
> bodybuilding sources.

Raw food body builder Mark Handy reports great results from lots of green sprouts juices, seaweeds and chia seeds.

> Some of the nutritional
> analysis on the likes of wheatgrass juice i have
> to wonder if it is credible, especially the high
> amounts of zinc.

I am in the process of tracking these studies down. I have the references, but they are very hard studies to locate and will take a while.

> I wonder what the balance of
> amino acids is like also, some plants can be abit
> imbalanced and incomplete not that it is that
> important, as its the overall intake in the day
> which matters most.

With sprouting and fermenting you will find that the low amino acids typical in plant based diets are increased to make a much more balanced protein. I do have various studies somewhere which do show this. Things like lysine and methionone are greatly improved. Also, apparently, on the 7th day of growing wheatgrass lysine starts appearing. The proteion balance which occurs through fermentation and sprouting is almost like magic.

The funny thing is that according to Cornel Uni, the tannins in plants also target these limiting amino acids and lower protein balance.

HHI claim the most balanced protein source discovered according to a certain university (forget which one, but it is in my notes somewhere) are the sunflower greens. This is the key bodybuilding food (apparently) because of high vitamin E, balanced protein etc. When juiced in good amounts it is dynamite. You drink a big green sprout drink (or protein meal) immediately after weight lifting according to the sun warrior protein founder - the 30 minute "window of opportunity".

I used to set up my juicer early, do weights and then immediately follow up with grass, sunflower, alfalfa, fenugreek (about 1 liter of green sprout juice) and two tablespoons of E3 live.

>
> The algaes such as chlorella and spirulina are
> also good sources of easily digestible amino
> acids.

Yes, and they can be combined with other foods to get a better protein balance also.

>
> I haven't juiced sprouts in a while, must add a
> bunch to my next green juice.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 08:54PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 11, 2014 09:32PM

powerlifter Wrote:

>
> I wonder if that is correct, if so that is a
> comparable amount of protein to other traditional
> bodybuilding sources. Some of the nutritional
> analysis on the likes of wheatgrass juice i have
> to wonder if it is credible, especially the high
> amounts of zinc.

Talking about zinc.....

Sprouted alfalfa is said with referenced agricultural studies in a book that zinc increases 400% over the original seeds in a dehydrated analysis, and calcium increases 200% (l will check it out to be sure). But according to other analysis, zinc doies not appear to be very high in dried wheatgrass juice (Pines International...need about 250 grams of grass powder to get RDA for zinc LOL), but 100 grams of wheat sprouts give 15% of the RDA (seems accurate).

Note: there is one wheatgrass analysis done by a GM company from New Zealand which shows wheatgrass juice to be virtually useless. I smell a rat. That company is connected with big pharma.

A really high source of zinc is canola sprouts (non GM of course), and the mathmatics seems to work out too. Eg, alfalfa sprouts are twice as high in zinc as mung beans, and canola is 10 times as high as alfalfa in zinc. You can get 80% of the RDA for zinc with 200 grams of canola sprouts, and the copper ratios are much lower for canola and alfalfa (this is also shown for old analysis done, but the cronometer often shows the ratios all messed up with zinc and copper that is inconsistent with other various analysis).

Effect of Cultivar and Growing Location on the Mineral Composition
of Canola Sprouts

Harbans L. Bhardwaj, Anwar A. Hamama

[hortsci.ashspublications.org]

Sprouted poppy is an even better source of zinc (highest land source known), but chlorella is excellent. The blue-green algaes are low in zinc.

And people say sprouts are low in nutrition. Hahaha, o.k. smiling smiley And now we find that sprouts have highly useful levels of phyto-hormones that are used in health...these hormones are at high levels in sprouts because they are used for telling the plant how to grow (so to speak). And when the plants mature these hormones are not needed in the high quantities anymore (I think that is right, need to do more research on that).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 09:41PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 11, 2014 11:20PM

I agree that it's not fat in general that is unhealthy but the TYPE of fat you are consuming. Lumping all fats into one category is illogical. Many in the raw community bash high-fat diet's (likely just parroting 80/10/10 logic) but there is no scientific evidence that raw, high-fat plant-based diets are linked to health issues. Also, each individual is different. So not only would it depend on the individual, but then the type of fat they are consuming. The more I look into the raw community, I seem to find more and more people who are doing well on high-fat diets.

Speaking of sunflower green juice, juiced an entire tray this morning and got a nice 12-13 oz smiling smiley

Sprouted poppy seeds take quite a bit of time to sprout, right? I think around two weeks, much longer than most seeds.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 11, 2014 11:45PM

This is just my opinion - but you might consider looking at foods as a whole unit instead of isolated a couple of macros - all plant-based foods have a mix of carbohdyrates, protein, and fat, and some are higher than others with micronutrients. I agree with greens being a great source of protein, fat, and minimal carbs, with vitamins and minerals through the roof. smiling smiley. As far as "high fat" being unhealthy - what do you consider "high fat"? I think 15-25% of calories from fat is a good number and sustainable. Raw nuts (sprouted, soaked, etc.) and seeds are healthy as well, IMO.

Date: March 12, 2014 12:06AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> I agree that it's not fat in general that is
> unhealthy but the TYPE of fat you are consuming.
> Lumping all fats into one category is illogical.

Raw food 101 talk. ;

> Many in the raw community bash high-fat diet's
> (likely just parroting 80/10/10 logic)

Parroting is the key word here. Raw food 101 talk. winking smiley Don't think, just do as l say because l am a raw food guru and l know about MANY things. winking smiley

> Also, each individual is different. So not only
> would it depend on the individual, but then the
> type of fat they are consuming.

Yes.
>
>
> Speaking of sunflower green juice, juiced an
> entire tray this morning and got a nice 12-13 oz
> smiling smiley

That is truely wonderful. I am smiling.

>
> Sprouted poppy seeds take quite a bit of time to
> sprout, right?

Should only take a a day or two.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 12, 2014 12:07AM

>>>>This is just my opinion - but you might consider looking at foods as a whole unit instead of isolated a couple of macros - all plant-based foods have a mix of carbohdyrates, protein, and fat, and some are higher than others with micronutrients

they are not interested.

gives them an illusory feeling of control , playing god/doctor/nutritionist.

Posted by: Naza ()
Date: March 12, 2014 12:42AM

clank72 Wrote:
> I've been doing some body building lately and my
> coach and trainer say that a diet high in fat is
> not good for the heart.
>
> Is that for ALL fat or bad fat like animal flesh
> etc?
>
> Its very hard to find lean proteins on a vegan
> diet. Most of the raw protein sources are high
> fat. I guess beans then?

You have to be knowledgeable on what kind of FAT you are taking in your diet. There are healthy fats and unhealthy fat to be considered.

it's not hard to find PROTEIN rich foods in a vegan diet, the green leafy ones as what John Rose mentioned above are very rich in protein such as broccoli, kale, spinach, romaine etc. etc. Too many options, no need to worry on that. You can still become vegan and a bodybuilder as well like me.

smiling smiley

Get Fit from Within
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

[www.nazafit.com.au]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables