Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kiwifruit repairs DNA
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 14, 2014 03:15PM

[nutritionfacts.org]

"In 2003 a landmark study was published in the journal Carcinogenesis. Now we've known "plant –based diets rich in fruit and vegetables can preveent development of several chronic age-related diseases, including cancer, but why? "”consumption of fruits and vegetables is associated with decreased risk of cancer, but why? The “mechanism behind this protective effect is not clear. We know “These foods are rich in antioxidants, which are capable of decreasing oxidative damage to DNA and thus might prevent mutation and cancer,” but what about the second line of defense against oxidative DNA damage, DNA repair. We’re going to get some DNA damage in our world no matter how healthy our diets, so its critical to find ways to upregulate our DNA repair enzymes to better assist with stitching our DNA back together.

So, how about we give people some kiwifruits on and off for a few weeks and see what happens. Why kiwifruits? Because it was funded by the “”International Kiwifruit Organization. You got to get funding from somewhere.
First, what happened to the level of DNA damage. Each symbol represents the DNA damage measured in one person. So day zero, no kiwifruit, the "WO" means without kiwifruitm and you can see they start out all over the map. Maybe some were smokers, or sat in traffic, who knows. But then here they go on 1 kiwi a day, then they go back to zero, then 2 a day, then zero, then 3 a day. It wasn’t completely consistent on every day for every person, but you can kind of get a sense that the weeks without the kiwifruits DNA damage tended to go up. And indeed that’s what the statistical analysis showed. Significantly less DNA damage on the days they were eating kiwifruits.

Note that it didn’t seem to matter how many kiwis they were eating, though. They seemed to get the same benefit whether they were eating 1 or 3.

Kiwifruits have antioxidants, so no wonder there was less DNA damage, but once you already have DNA damage can kiwifruit help with the restoration? So this was our first line of defense, the antioxidants in plant foods. Now on to our second defense line of defense, DNA repair. This is measuring DNA repair rates. Level of DNA repair off kiwis, on kiwis, off kiwis, on kiwis, off kiwis, on kiwis,.

Now although it appears the 3 kiwis did better, than 1 or 2 statistically all 3 kiwi doses appeared pretty much the same, suggesting there’s some sort of plateau effect. Maybe there’s just some phytonutrient in kiwis that boosts this DNA repair enzyme system and it’s really just a matter of whether we have it in your bloodstream or not, rather than how much of it is there.

What would be interesting is if you added a different fruit or vegetable on top of the kiwi, with a whole different portfolio of phytonutrients; would they complement one another or would it just be a plateau across the board. We didn’t find out until recently….)"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kiwifruit repairs DNA
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:43PM

Panchito, do you live in the USA? I have found recent kiwis to be problematic from Italy. I wonder if they were irradiated. They had the tell-tale ring around the center of the fruit. sad smiley I just had two this morning and they were not sweet and didn't taste very good. I don't know why we're not getting them from New Zealand all the time anymore...

Date: March 14, 2014 04:59PM

Yes I am in the US. I think I've seen kiwis from Italy at Costco. There are some from Cali. Some of the ones from NZ had virus.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 14, 2014 05:06PM

I bought mine from Trader Joe's. Not saying all have been bad but I am getting tired of them being mushy inside. I know they were irradiating papayas and turning them into mush but recently that has gotten better.

Date: March 15, 2014 06:15PM

I just bout 2 lbs at the local supermarket. The country of origin listed is the USA.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: March 15, 2014 06:35PM

I am not sure if it is as simple as that, this fruit repairs DNA, that fruit cures cancer...

It is a well balanced healthy body that cures itself.

We need to stop hurting our body and then we need a cleanse.

After these two, every healthy food we eat will repair DNA, cures cancer.

So it is not going to work even if you bought 10 pounds of Kiwi if nothing else is done.

But I am sure you are doing all of these things already

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 06:38PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables