Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Too much fruit ?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2006 03:09PM

Does anyone think that 8 oranges (juiced) with 2 bananas and a slice of pinapple with 1/3 cup of bee pollen ans 1/3 of hemp seeds. is too much fruit? i drink this from 8:30 to about 10:30.AM
Please let me know what you think
Brenda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too much fruit ?
Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 03:46PM

8 oranges. Why so many oranges. I think that's alot.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 13, 2006 04:38PM

It really depends on the quality of the oranges and if they are properly ripe. When I lived in Spain I had orange trees in the garden and I used to eat 10 or more a day, but they were fresh and ripe (and organic). Having them as juice might not be good for your teeth, I also think it's more difficult to tell if they are properly ripe when juiced.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: December 13, 2006 06:48PM

Hi There,

There is no such thing as too much fruit. Fruit is our natural food. Eat all the fruit you want! :-)

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Date: December 13, 2006 07:38PM

If that's the amount you want and if you feel satisfied afterwards then go for it...listen to your own body!!!

Not strangers....there's too many differences of opinion based on different peoples needs to get an unbiased answer, some people will be pro fruits and tell you that fruits are great and some people wil be anti fruit and tell you fruits are bad, so be mindfull of thequestions you ask on rawfood forums.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 13, 2006 08:54PM

>>There is no such thing as too much fruit<<

I think there is such thing as too much fruit, especially sweet fruit. Today's commercial fruit is way sweeter and less nutrient dense than it was in our past. A frugivore living on all non-organic sweet fruit must be exausting their body's ability to handle sugar. Our evolutionary ancestors would have been eating, in addition to fruits, things like leaves, flowers, bugs, bark, and small animals.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 13, 2006 10:37PM

Too much? No way! I've eaten this much without any mental hesitations. If it tastes good, I eat it. And, I eat until I've had enough. I found eating sweet oranges in season one of the most satisfying culinary experiences.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 14, 2006 01:01AM

If you were on an walk in nature...and hadn't eaten in some time....and were very hungry.....and you found a fruit tree (like ripe Red Navel Oranges)........how many would be too many to eat? To Juice? You might sit under that tree...in the afternoon sun...with a good book.....and maybe eat 1/2 dozen....or 8...or 12! You might casually whittle away your day eating oranges....breathing deep of the wind....and getting juice and seeds everywhere! Just imagine it! smiling smiley

Ha! ha! For my part, I often will eat or juice 4 or 5 lbs of oranges in the morning during citrus season. It's great. Very cleansing way to start the day!

-Just my thoughts / opinions / experiences.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: December 14, 2006 04:38AM

If the fruit is sweet and taste good go for it that means you were hungry.

I would easily eat 2 kilos of ripe navels with ease when hungry.

I like Dave's idea about being on a nature walk that sounds like a great way to look at it.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: December 15, 2006 04:37PM

If you are healthy too much fruit is too much fruit. Fruit changes your intestinal flora dramatically due to its very high sugar levels. I would urge you to limit your fruit drinks to one every other morning if you are healthy. If you are unwell, you must limit them more. While berries, apples, pineapple, mango and papaya supply many very necessary nutrients, they also provide a very high sugar ingestion, which ultimately plays havoc with your blood sugar levels, your pancreas and other endocrine glands.

Sugar is sugar, no matter what the source. It has its ups and downs, as you know.

Best,

Anne Kaspar
BodyByBliss.com
bodybybliss@gmail.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 15, 2006 08:08PM

brenda67

If the fruit you mentioned feels like it is too much for your body, then it probably is too much. If it feels good for you, then there isn't a problem. For myself, I can easily eat your entire days worth of fruit in a single meal, although I would make it all the same fruit for easier food combining.

I disagree with the notion mentioned by bodybyblis that fruit consumption needs to be limited to every other morning for healthy people. A healthy person can easily eat 80% of their calories from fruit. I can easily eat all my days calories from fruit, though I do like greens and eat them often. An unhealthy person on the other hand, will have nasty symptoms if they try to eat 80% of their calories from fruit, perhaps have a full candida bloom or go into anaphylactic shock.

While sugar is indeed sugar, it is refined sugars that cause the blood sugars to rise very rapidly and cause a sugar crash afterwards. Fresh raw fruits contain soluble fibers that help regulate the movement of sugars into the blood stream, and keep the blood sugar levels constant without a crash afterwards.

I suspect that bodybybliss' advice matches her current experience with fruit and the effect it has on her blood sugar, which is more a reflection of the state of her health rather than how much fruit a healthy person can ingest. There are many people who eat cooked foods who have this exact state of health, as well as many raw foodists whose predominant calorie source is fat. When fat is the predominant calorie source, the blood steam always have fats in the bloods, which hamper the body's ability to move sugars out of the bloodstream. Insulins will work on fat before they will work on sugars, because in the ancient past, fats were considered a precious resource, as they rarely appeared in humans' diet (pre-agriculture humans).

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: December 16, 2006 12:17AM

I agree with Bryan. If you are healthy and your body has adjusted to higher fruit levels, having an all fruit morning is ideal. Just be sure you balance it out with greens and a few fats later in the day as these provide nutrients that cannot be obtained in fruit alone. (at least as is commercially available).

Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: December 18, 2006 11:23PM

I think you should review at least some research on fruit and its consumption before you make assumptions about me, my opinion and my health. AFTERALL, I HAVE BEEN AT THIS FOR TEN YEARS AND HAVE EXPERIENCED AS WELL AS SEEN MOST PROBABLY alot more than you have when it comes to fruit consumption and health.

I would advise ANYONE to be careful with an ingestion of 80% of any one food type. Excess never works for anyone. But thank you for your obvious educated and well-thought out contribution to the board.

Anne Kaspar
BodyByBliss.com

Date: December 19, 2006 02:57AM

I reviewed some of the research on fruit and found out that science points out to our frugivorous ancestry and even recommends modifying our diet to include a high amount of fresh fruit, as in our original human diet.

And, of course, there are raw foodists who have been eating lost and lots of fruit for well in excess of 10 years (double and triple that), and are doing just fine. There are also those who have experienced dramatic improvement after transition from "standard" to fruit-based raw food diet.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 19, 2006 05:42AM

jono Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think there is such thing as too much fruit,
> especially sweet fruit. Today's commercial fruit
> is way sweeter and less nutrient dense than it was
> in our past.

Are all fruits sweeter than they were in the past? If not, which ones are sweeter and by how much. Thanks!

A frugivore living on all
> non-organic sweet fruit must be exausting their
> body's ability to handle sugar. Our evolutionary
> ancestors would have been eating, in addition to
> fruits, things like leaves, flowers, bugs, bark,
> and small animals.

Who lives on all sweet fruit all the time?

Date: December 19, 2006 03:13PM

Thank you all for your replys.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 19, 2006 07:23PM

>>Are all fruits sweeter than they were in the past? If not, which ones are sweeter and by how much. Thanks!<<

Hi tropical. Doing a quick search I didn't see any published research on the matter. The author of this article: [www.living-foods.com] says "Modern fruit has 30 times the sugar level of its wild ancestors".

I know that wild blueberries are much less sweet and much higher in antioxidant pigments than the plumper domesticated blueberries.

Domesticated strawberries are also much less pigment-rich and are much bigger than the wilder types.

Organic bananas, Ive found are much less sugary than non-organic ones.

I read an article a while back, which I can't find now, which gave the histories of various fruits like apples and bananas. Basically, their wild ancestors were much less palatable than todays fruit.

>>Who lives on all sweet fruit all the time?<<

I don't know, but a few people here seem to get the vast majority of their calories from sweet fruit.

more on wild vs modern fruit: [www.beyondveg.com]

Date: December 19, 2006 09:16PM

I think that you are right about fruit being altered from the wild, but is that really a reason to avoid the fruit category? Maybe we need to find the few fruits which have been really altered. Too bad the article didn't list the fruits that were the basis of the "domestic fruit is 30 times more sweet than wild fruit" claim.

So I looked in the USDA Nutrient Data Laboritory and they listed data for three wild fruits, I then found the domestic equivilent and compared the sugar data below.
[www.nal.usda.gov]
100 gram samples

Blackberries, wild, raw (Alaska Native) total sugars 3.65g, Sucrose 0.01g, glucose 1.69g, fructose 1.95g
Blackberries, raw total sugars 4.88g, sucrose 0.07g, glucose 2.31g, fructose, 2.40g
Domestic fruit is 133% sweeter than wild

Blueberries, wild, raw (Alaska Native) total sugars 6.46, sucrose 0.01, glucose 3.10, fructose 3.35
Blueberries, raw total sugars 9.96g, sucrose 0.11g, glucose 4.88g, fructose 4.97g
Domestic fruit is 154% sweeter than wild

Cranberries, wild, bush, raw (Alaska Native) No sugar data

So we definitely see an increase in the sugar content between wild and domestic fruit, but it really isn't significant in this case because the domestic fruit isn't even twice as sweet as the wild.

I'd love to see more nutrient data on wild fruit, anyone know where to find it - please! Thanks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2006 09:24PM by tropical.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 19, 2006 09:45PM

>I think that you are right about fruit being altered from the wild, but is that really a reason to avoid the fruit category?

No.

>Maybe we need to find the few fruits which have been really altered.

Or just balance them with greens, nonsweet fruits, and a handful of nuts/seeds/fatty fruit.

I think people tend to forget: foods can be good not only for what they have, but also for what they lack.

Raw fruit is often an excellent choice because it omits a lot of the bad stuff.

But raw fruit isn't the only food I eat.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: December 19, 2006 10:03PM

tropical Wrote:
> Blackberries, wild, raw (Alaska Native) total
> sugars 3.65g, Sucrose 0.01g, glucose 1.69g,
> fructose 1.95g
> Blackberries, raw total sugars 4.88g, sucrose
> 0.07g, glucose 2.31g, fructose, 2.40g
> Domestic fruit is 133% sweeter than wild
>
> Blueberries, wild, raw (Alaska Native) total
> sugars 6.46, sucrose 0.01, glucose 3.10, fructose
> 3.35
> Blueberries, raw total sugars 9.96g, sucrose
> 0.11g, glucose 4.88g, fructose 4.97g
> Domestic fruit is 154% sweeter than wild
>

Sorry, but I think you are making an error pushing toward the "fruits are too sweet" side with your number.
If domestic blackberries were 133% sweeter than the wild ones, it would mean that they have 8.5g total sugar. And that's not the case. Why? Because they are 33% sweeter, not 133%.
Same thing for blueberries, 54% sweeter, not 154%.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 19, 2006 10:45PM

sgc Wrote:

> Sorry, but I think you are making an error pushing
> toward the "fruits are too sweet" side with your
> number.
> If domestic blackberries were 133% sweeter than
> the wild ones, it would mean that they have 8.5g
> total sugar. And that's not the case. Why? Because
> they are 33% sweeter, not 133%.
> Same thing for blueberries, 54% sweeter, not 154%.

Mmmmm, that seems a far cry from the 3000% (30x) more sugar that other people are claiming.

I love wild strawberries, I find them sooo much sweeter than commercial strawberries. Pitty they are a so small and hard to find.

Ian.

Date: December 19, 2006 11:56PM

Interestingly, I find wild berries sweeter and more tasty than the commercial ones too.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: December 20, 2006 03:54AM

sgc Wrote:
> Sorry, but I think you are making an error pushing
> toward the "fruits are too sweet" side with your
> number.
> If domestic blackberries were 133% sweeter than
> the wild ones, it would mean that they have 8.5g
> total sugar. And that's not the case. Why? Because
> they are 33% sweeter, not 133%.
> Same thing for blueberries, 54% sweeter, not 154%.

Thanks for clarifying my math!

Date: December 20, 2006 07:12AM

Bryan Wrote:
> brenda67
>
> If the fruit you mentioned feels like it is too
> much for your body, then it probably is too much.
> If it feels good for you, then there isn't a
> problem. For myself, I can easily eat your entire
> days worth of fruit in a single meal, although I
> would make it all the same fruit for easier food
> combining.
>
> I disagree with the notion mentioned by bodybyblis
> that fruit consumption needs to be limited to
> every other morning for healthy people. A healthy
> person can easily eat 80% of their calories from
> fruit. I can easily eat all my days calories from
> fruit, though I do like greens and eat them often.
> An unhealthy person on the other hand, will have
> nasty symptoms if they try to eat 80% of their
> calories from fruit, perhaps have a full candida
> bloom or go into anaphylactic shock.
>
> While sugar is indeed sugar, it is refined sugars
> that cause the blood sugars to rise very rapidly
> and cause a sugar crash afterwards. Fresh raw
> fruits contain soluble fibers that help regulate
> the movement of sugars into the blood stream, and
> keep the blood sugar levels constant without a
> crash afterwards.
>
> I suspect that bodybybliss' advice matches her
> current experience with fruit and the effect it
> has on her blood sugar, which is more a reflection
> of the state of her health rather than how much
> fruit a healthy person can ingest. There are many
> people who eat cooked foods who have this exact
> state of health, as well as many raw foodists
> whose predominant calorie source is fat. When fat
> is the predominant calorie source, the blood steam
> always have fats in the bloods, which hamper the
> body's ability to move sugars out of the
> bloodstream. Insulins will work on fat before they
> will work on sugars, because in the ancient past,
> fats were considered a precious resource, as they
> rarely appeared in humans' diet (pre-agriculture
> humans).

Bryan i always wondered why you beleive you are so healthy yet some of your hair is grey. grey hair indicates too much acidity i was reading or even if thats not true i doubt grey hair = healthiness. something is wrong if hair is grey so maybe you should take a step back? just some friendly advice grinning smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 20, 2006 07:24AM

I am grateful that I have hair. There are men who are 20 years younger than me who don't have any. But thank you for your love and concern. I am grateful for that too.

Date: December 20, 2006 09:28AM

Bryan, truly, I mean not to offend you. its always been a curiousity of mine, seeing your lovely pics but you sometimes have gray hair in the pics. truly im not pointing it out to offend you it bothers me because since you've been high fruit for so long yet you have grey hair that means something. its just what i do when im yearning to seek the truth. i look at longterm fruitarians and try and find things that are "unhealthy" about them to base my own lifestyle choices on that and seeing as you claim you are very healthy and experiencing wonderful health it just doesn't fit together right. truly Bryan please read my post and understand. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2006 09:29AM by cherrymelon.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 20, 2006 05:32PM

Cherrymelon, are you telling us the people are not supposed to turn grey, and if they do they are doing so because they are unhealthy, regardless of age?

This seems very unnatural to me.

Ian.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: December 20, 2006 05:38PM

"If that's the amount you want and if you feel satisfied afterwards then go for it...listen to your own body!!!

Not strangers....there's too many differences of opinion based on different peoples needs to get an unbiased answer, some people will be pro fruits and tell you that fruits are great and some people wil be anti fruit and tell you fruits are bad, so be mindfull of thequestions you ask on rawfood forums."

And some people will tell you to listen to your own body tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 20, 2006 05:41PM

Since when does "grey hair = unhealthy"?????

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: December 20, 2006 09:22PM

That depends on your interpretation of health, right?

I believe that when the species human is in a completely harmonic state (e.g. Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie and all other great spiritual leaders) and eating the optimal diet (they might be spiritually ready for breatarianism) and living in the optimal environment (totally clean preferably in the jungle were there is a lot of oxygen and natural excercise climbing the branches) they shouldn't age at all on the surface.

Even in a modern world we have some people in their sixties still looking like twenty-five because of raw foods and excerise. You've seen pictures of them.

I don't know, I'm just playing with imagination.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables