Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw protein
Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: December 25, 2006 02:38AM

For those of you trying to make sure you get in enough protein, do you have any experience with raw protein powders? Juvo? Thor's? Any others? What are your opinions on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw protein
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 25, 2006 02:52AM

They're not really raw. There are hemp and rice protein powders made with low-temp processing but enzymes are used to separate the protein fraction and the result is denatured proteins, which defeats the purpose of raw (you want your food to be unmolested).

I use them, though, a little, because my diet is so high in fiber, there is less usability of what little protein I take in. They also help to keep the total fat intake at a reasonable level. (Well, what I consider reasonable).

The cheapest place for hemp ($10/lb or so) and rice proteins (about $5/lb) is theproteinfactory.com

Also iherb.com sells the 3 lb nutribiotic rice protein at about $7/lb. NOW foods and Jarrow also sell inexpensive rice protein powders.

You don't really need them. But they have a place, I suppose.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 25, 2006 04:03AM

Use whole hemp seeds instead, make them into hemp milk.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: December 26, 2006 12:28AM

Just use whole hemp seeds, forget making it into anything, IMHO. They are delicious plain. Or put them into your green smoothie. Or on your salad.

One ounce (about 2 tbls) is 15 grams of protein. (!)

I get them from Galaxy, in a 5 pound pail. I keep them in the freezer, taking out about 2 weeks worth at a time and keeping that smaller portion in the refrig until I use them up.

I used to use American Whey, but even though I think its a good product, the hemp is more in line with what I'm trying to accompolish, health-wise.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables