Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

digesting bananas
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: January 19, 2007 03:18AM

Oh my dear Bananas,
You are cheap and yummy, and you have low pesticide residues.
You are nutritious, and appear to be the perfect food for me... the nearly fruitarian who is rather poor... to make a staple of.
WHY DO YOU NOT DIGEST WELL?!!!

Bananas make me feel heavy, bloated, and backed up until they are out of my system- this can take 48 hours!!!

I let them ripen until they are freckley- why don't I handle them well??!!!

Should I keep trying?
PLEASE... any advice is appreciated.

love mallow

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: digesting bananas
Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 19, 2007 05:03AM

I notice that if they are at all starchy they don't go down so well.... I prefer them not just freckly, but actually getting kinda black, as spotted and freckly as they can get without being overripe (if they are wet & mushy on the inside that's too far gone for me). So, once they start freckling, they can usually go at least a few more days in my experience. This is great because oftentimes stores will sell bananas at a big discount that they call "overripe" but are actually just perfect!

Also, are you mono-eating them or combining them with something?

Love,
Uma

Date: January 19, 2007 05:19AM

mono!

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 19, 2007 06:11AM

Mono eating the bananas is good, but take a look at what you have eaten in the previous 24 hours. Any meals of fat or protein? How long have you been eating Raw? Are you 100% raw?
Uti

Date: January 19, 2007 05:48PM

nearly two years 99 percent raw- (once in a while some nutritional yeast, and I drink tea made from boiling water, fresh ginger, and stevia powder occationally)

Almost never eat fatty foods... I haven't had any overt fats in about two months.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2007 10:35PM

Bananas are hybrid (seedless), the sugar content is no longer natural, it is similar to refined sugar. Look for fruit with seeds.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: January 19, 2007 11:57PM

What time of day do you eat them?

"Ole school" teaching is that sweet fruits are best eaten in the morning.

Try eating bananas for breakfast only for awhile; see if that makes a diff.

khale

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 20, 2007 07:59AM

I eat bananas just about everyday, all the time, for ever.
I never noticed anything..

I get organic ones..I also have eaten wild ones..I think they are for humans. They are not juicy, maybe if one is dehydtarted alot they'll get stuck.. I will pay attention and report back. I love them

Date: January 20, 2007 09:04AM

Thanks, coconutcream

Posted by: khale ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:15PM

morning Mallow,

I've noticed that you've posted several times here with a problem with bloating, heaviness and etc. If I'm not mistaken you've also had problems with Candida. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

On one occasion when you posted a problem with bloating and stated that you had a Kombucha tea with your meal, I suggested the culprit may be the Kombucha, especially taken with meals.

My guess is that you've also had a history with acid reflux and indigestion and probably have struggled with your weight. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong)

Now, back to bananas. All sweet foods slow digestion. If you take sweet foods such as bananas at the end of the day on top of whatever you've eaten during the day, you slow down your digestive system. This is the time of day (late afternoon to early/late evening) when your body will enter into "rest mode". If you take bananas or other sweet fruits at the start of the day (before 1:00 in the afternoon say) your metabolic rate is higher and so is your activity level and so your digestion of the banana will be better.

Also, if you indeed have had a history with Candida it is possible that your body has trouble metabolizing sugar. (This would also explain why Kombucha caused bloating taken with a meal, as the sugars or the fermentation would slow the digestion of the other foods eaten) Or you may have trouble metabolizing acids. Bananas are one of the most alkaline of the fruits but are still categorized as an acid food, albeit a "weak acid", a third category in which vinegar (see Kombucha) and whey also belong. To people with no difficulty metabolizing acids, "weak acid" foods have an alkalizing effect on the body. However if you do have trouble metabolizing acids, even "weak acids" will give you problems.

This is why I suggested that you try eating bananas in the morning hours only for awhile. Also, combining bananas with alkaline foods, such as greens, would also help, especially if you have trouble metabolizing acids.

It has been said that no food has intrinsic value. The value of a food is determined by the affect it has on YOU.

I love bananas too. Do I get thanked for that?

...and btw, one of the reasons I've noticed your posts especially is because there are similarities among our histories with food and, by inference, our body type. I personally do not eat sweet fruits after 1:00 in the afternoon at which time I switch over to vegetables and unsweet fruits. This works best for me as I tend to bloat, suffer from indigestion and have a history of acid reflux disease.

At any rate, I'm not pulling this stuff out of the air. Take it or leave it.

khale

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:31PM

khale, that was an interesting post. I'd like to say that I'll try this too but really doubt it, considering various things in my life right now.

I've often wondered if I have candida. How would you know? I've seen the symptoms that people say that you might have if you have candida, but many of them are similar to symptoms of other conditions and diseases. There must be some sort of medical test a person could do.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 22, 2007 06:43PM

Hi, it's called bright field microscopy and Dr Young Does that. [www.phmiracleliving.com] <--this link has description of technology.
I am sure there are other ways, but i haven't found any better.

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 23, 2007 01:49PM

Witarianin, I read a little on this link. Perty expensive. It does look interesting though.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables