Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How the hell do you ripen bannanas?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 27, 2007 11:58PM

For the past 2 weeks I can't find any at the stores even yellow, they're all green. Even the non organic ones are dark yellow with ugly brown rotting spots. I've had some for the past 4 days now and they still don't even have spots on them.

I tried putting them in the microwave in a paper bag overnight and with an apple like i kept reading online and still nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How the hell do you ripen bannanas?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 28, 2007 12:15AM

I bought 3/4 (30lbs) of a box of bananas yesterday, and they were all green. I set them out next to my heater, and the next day, many of them changed from green to yellow. Keeping them warm seems to quicken the ripening process. In the summer time, I have the opposite problem. When I have this many bananas, they ripen so quickly and I end up having to freeze a bunch of them.

Date: January 28, 2007 12:19AM

Cool so it's any heat that does it. I thought for that to work I'd need sunlight. I have a window the sun really hits but it's also freezing. I have an electric heater in my bedroom and it's like 90 in there. I'll try that tonight. Thanks =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2007 12:19AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 28, 2007 09:28AM

I eat the whole banana when it's ripe, with peel and all. Yum!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 28, 2007 10:27AM

"I eat the whole banana when it's ripe, with peel and all. Yum!"

WHAT THE...?!?!?! I hope for your sake that they are organic as bananas are a HEAVILY sprayed crop!

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: January 28, 2007 12:27PM

I think there's a way. Put the bunch of bananas in an air-tight plastic bag. It ripes faster that way. I think that's because bananas release natural gases that make them ripe after plucked from trees.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 29, 2007 02:27AM

I have also had a lot of trouble finding yellow bananas. They are all green and very firm. I put them in a brown paper bag to ripen them. The very firm green ones take a little more time to ripen than the yellowish/green ones take. The yellow ones usually ripen in about a day. Plain brown paper bag - no heat - does the trick for me.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 29, 2007 03:56AM

I try to keep a staggered system going so if i buy green bananas, i already have some that are ready to eat, others that are in different stages of ripening, and some that are still green. It is a system that is hard to perfect, because my consumption goes up and down, and the ripeness in the store changes too. I often either have a ton ripe at once, or a few days of no ripe bananas! But it's a fun game to play.

Bryan, thanks for the heat ripening tip. Seems to be helping.

Love,
Uma

Date: January 29, 2007 07:50AM

I've had one small bunch that was at least yellow in my bedroom with the electric heater all day and that didn't change much at all.

Question - Is it considered ripe and good when there's NO or very little specs but a lot of dark brown rotted looking lines/spots?

I like using them when they're covered in specs but haven't seen that in a while. I have to come up with a "system" of buying some every few days so I'd always have some ripe. This is going to be a pita.

In the summer it was a game to see how dark and rotten they'd get because they ripened so fast. I'd put them on the fridge and not use them fast enough or forget about them until they were black and shrivelled and covered in fruit flies. lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 07:51AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: January 29, 2007 05:43PM

Uma,

Your posts are so uplifting! I really admire and appreciate the way you speak about meeting challenges by perceiving them as opportunities for play. Since I don't have a lot of money to spend on more expensive fruits right now, sometimes I get frustrated when I run out of ripe bananas and the case that I bought to replace it is still partially green. Thanks for helping me remember that finding enough fruit to eat -- whether it's up in the trees, or hiding out among several different shops in the city -- doesn't have to be a painful or aggravating experience at all. It can simply be a playful game to treat yourself to!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 29, 2007 09:08PM

Yes I do that too, eat them when hard.. lol..

I know about expensive fruits. I buy 8 dollar cherimoyas all the time and the cashier is like WWWOOOEY this is expensive..8 dollar watermelons too, and organic cherries at 9 a lb..

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: January 29, 2007 09:43PM

Keep some yellow ones to put with the green ones, it fasten the ripening since the yellow ones are releases more ripening gas than the green ones.
Suvine, I just got $60 worth of cherimoyas at the farmers market this weekend, at $3/lb. Got to know your farmer ;-)

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Splurging on fruits
Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 30, 2007 03:55AM

Yeah sometimes I've been driven to by $10 dragonfruits... You know, I don't buy expensive packaged foods, I almost never go out to restaurants let a lone a fancy restaurant, splurging on produce for me is like getting a nice meal out

What I love is sometimes when I buy a bunch of food at the store like several big watermelons and the cashier assumes I must be having some big party with them, but no, they're just for me for the next couple days! LOL.

Once we mail-ordered fresh durian from that place in San Diego... that was expensive! But worth it.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 30, 2007 03:57AM

I go to this out door fruit store.It has big apples with spots on them but they are so crunchy and good and crisp.39 cents a pound for braeburn apples.I get banana's for 25 cents a pound.I got 20 pounds of juice carrots for 3.99$.i just put my banana's on the kitchen table and they ripen.taylor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables