Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New possibility!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2007 12:07AM

I'm curious as to a few things.
I understand the whole no cooked foods thing, but theres a few things I want to verify.

Does that mean I'm not allowed:
Sushi (raw fish even though the rice is cooked)??
Bread?
Butter?
Cheese?
Rice in general?
Raw fish? (Its the only meat I can't give up for some reason and I LOVE it raw...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New possibility!
Date: June 15, 2007 12:12AM

And what about pickled foods or preserves?

Date: June 15, 2007 12:38AM

WOW that helps thanks a bunch! I feel a bit better about making the change if I can still do those things and I'm glad you took the time to tell me.

<3s for you!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 15, 2007 02:12AM

tea.mochi,

This is a vegan board and it is not appropriate to discuss animal products. As such, I deleted learningtoflys response as it discussed these things.

Everything that is not a raw fruit or vegetable is less than ideal on the raw diet. If you need these foods to transition (or you just need them), then eat these foods and perhaps you will find in the future that you do not need them.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: June 15, 2007 04:18AM

tea.mochi, in case you saved my response, I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean to endorse or recommend the raw animal foods. I meant to offer them for consideration as transitional foods by letting you know that there are raw versions of some of the less-than-ideal foods you mentioned.

Date: June 15, 2007 05:14AM

Thankyou, I understand what both of you mean and I didn't mean to cause any ruckus about the fish. I'm still considering going to this diet alltogether so I wanted to make sure about some of the things that I could or could not eat (also because of where I work what I can and cannot eat). I appreciate the help and I'm sorry if I offended any vegans here.

Date: June 15, 2007 05:17AM

Can I microwave oatmeal as long as it doesn't go over the 100-something degree mark?
If I'm annoying by asking this just let me know.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 15, 2007 05:57AM

The raw food life-style is a natural, healthy alternative to the usual cooked foods. That means fresh raw fruits, vegetables, their fresh juices, raw nuts, seeds, and naturally dried fruits and vegetables.

You wouldn't want to eat any of the foods you mention as your transitional foods if you are a purest. What you use to wean yourself off of cooked foods is your choice.

If you do some research on microwaving, you'll find you wouldn't want to use it to heat water let alone warm or cook food in one and then eat or drink it.

Love,
Prism

Date: June 15, 2007 05:58AM

You can use a normal stove to heat some oatmeal up to 100 (even up to 105-115), but not the microwave. A microwave will heat parts of the food to a very high temperature, even though the average temperature might be 100 degrees. Many oatmeals are not raw though as they have been steamed. You will have to look around for a really raw oatmeal.

Date: June 15, 2007 06:47AM

Well I'm not much of a purest since I'm an omnivore that lives off of ramen, eggs and microwaved burritos, but I kinda get what you mean Prism.

I'm comforted that I can still have some oatmeal (I mean come on, what isn't awesome about oatmeal?)

I think I'll leave you guys alone now though, I'm not feeling welcome here at all and I think you guys are just putting up with me until I leave anyway.
I'd rather have happy people give me info and help me make my decision, not people to act stiff about whether I can still technically eat fish, or if its improper to talk about animal products on the message board (EEGADS someone told me if I could still eat sushi or not!), or if microwaving my oatmeal is going to cause problems or whatever.

Sorry I wasted your time.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: June 15, 2007 10:04AM

Hey Tea Mochi i am sorry that you are feeling unwelcome here ....i understand where bryan is coming from since when you sign up it is a vegan forum...don't worry i am sure PRism wasn't trying to be mean or rude....if you check out the diary section there are lots of people still struggling with transistion and the changes of going raw..including some who responded here about being pure...so don't stress..i think it was meant in an ideal world..but yes this is a vegan forum so you just gotta be carefuL!!! if you want to start up a journal in the diary section we are more then happy to have you and support you on your journe...good luck in our journey and take care!!
love earthangel
xxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 15, 2007 10:26AM

tea mochi, you ASKED for advice. and you got it. nobody was telling you what you can or can not do. i also do not understand why you think the advice you asked for was given from unhappy people.

i am sorry you dont feel welcome here. i can assure you that you are in fact welcome here!

in fact, WELCOME! and i wish you luck and success.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2007 10:28AM by pihourova.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: June 15, 2007 02:54PM

tea.mochi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm curious as to a few things.
> I understand the whole no cooked foods thing, but
> theres a few things I want to verify.
>
> Does that mean I'm not allowed:
> Sushi (raw fish even though the rice is cooked)??
> Butter?
> Cheese?
> Raw fish? (Its the only meat I can't give up for
> some reason and I LOVE it raw...)

Please remember that this is a Vegan board so we don't discuss animal products. This would certainly not be the best place to get advice about these things because of that.
Good luck with everything!

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: June 15, 2007 03:07PM

nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2007 03:09PM by learningtofly.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:25AM

I disturbs me to read "we do not dicscuss animal products" as it sounds almost as if no one is allowed to asks why a vegan does not eat these items. As a vegan I will discuss and argue for veganism and against non vegan items. If someone wants/needs advice, this board should be a place where that person should feel confortable coming for advice.

Is this board not such a place?

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: June 16, 2007 01:02PM

aww come bax tea mochi! its all right we luv ya! its really hard 2 transition from a standard american diet, which is what most ppl eat, u kno junkfood, meat, processed foods, dairy, all thatstuff,, 2 a raw vegan diet,, vegan means you do not eat any animals, or foods that come from animals, so meat, dairy, eggs, ya u get it,,, neways i was where u were and i just couldnt jump frum SAD 2 raw vegan so first i became a veggitarian, ate things like brown rice, sumtimes eggs if i had 2, oatmeal ;],, sum cheese,, but before i ate those things i would eat as many fruits or veggies as i could, and then if i wwas still hungry i would eat that stuff^,, then after about a month i let go of the eggs and dairy, and ate things like brown rice, vegan chips, tons of salad with vegan dressing, fruits,,, finally i moved on from that, bc i wanted 2 detox my body more (get rid of all the stored toxins i had accumulated from my foods, and environment) so i jumped right into 100% raw, which really isnt that hard, besides cravings,,,when i first went 100% i would eat tons of dates and dried fruits and nuts and avocadoes 2 keep me from eating cooked food,, really u dont wunna eat 2 much fat,, but it helps in transition,, and now im 100% raw (no cooked foods at all) and luvin it!! grinning smiley

tea its really worth it so i hope u dont give up on rawfoods just bc of some ppl on here,, some ppl just get reeally offended when you talk about nonvegan foods, even if ur not promoting them, and even if u are only talking about using them in transition,, but dont worry some of us dont mind:] so feel the love man! hey if u need someone 2 talk 2 about this stuff and u dont feel comfortable u can just send me or whoever a private message and talk about all the nonvegan stuff u want lol which im sure u wont do :p

heres a list of vegan rawfoods and transitional foods:

all fruits-
apples, mangoes, watermelon, dates, raisins, figs, pairs, kiwi, persimmon, strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, melon, grapefruit, orange, bananas,lemon, plum, cherries, pineapple, grapes, etc

most veggies (some you really cant eat without a juicer so here are the ones thatdont hav 2 b juiced)
romaine lettuce, all herbs, spinache, kale, mustard greens, celery, sweet peas, snow pease, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, zuccini, cucumber, carrots, sprouts, asparagus,cabbage, bell peppers, hot peppers, garlic, onion,raw nori (used in sushi)hmm i cant think of nemore but u get the point

raw nuts/seeds/beans-
raw tahini (sesame seed paste) raw walnuts, raw almonds, raw pistachios, raw sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, rawpecans, raw hazelnuts, raw sprouts (its a little blend they hav in the healthfood store already sprouted 2 eat,, most beans are not edible spouted but the ones that are r adzuki, green pea, and lentil) i think lol u should ask someone about that,, raw oatmeal, raw olives,raw unfiltered olive oil or any nut oil ( for dressings if u dont like using just avocado)coconuts, avocadoes, and raw chocolate

spices!- hehe
any and all spices u can find, most wont be raw, but you can leave them out depending on the % of raw u want 2 b
turmeric, curry,pepper, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, cumin, (any hebs)
and any other spice u might want that dosent have normal salt ( ur looking for seasalt) and any sort of artificial ingredients,or words you cant pronounce,, oh and raw apple cider vinegar, and namashoyu if u like, its like raw soya sauce

transitional VEGAN foods-
beans, brown rice, any rice as long as its not white, lentils, tofu, cooked starches, like potatoe, non raw vegan salad dressings, if u cant handle just olive oil and vinegar yet,, maybe sprouted bread, if u need bread,, vegan chips, salsas, oatmeal ( dont cook it in the microwave tho,, or nething for that matter, microwave radiates your food, and even you if u stand 2 close, its verrry unhealthy and unnatural im sure if u ask someone can give u some info on the scary facts about microwaves),, and watever food u feel u need 2 transition ;]

i hope this helps, and i hope u come back :[ i would b sad if u really did leave,,, good luck !!

Date: June 16, 2007 05:50PM

VeganLife,

This is a place for people to ask advice on the raw vegan diet. Asking advice on how to further move towards a raw vegan diet away from cooked or animal foods is appropriate. However, asking advice on how to eat or prepare cooked or animal foods is inappropriate, as is asking advice on how to fix your car or who to vote for in the next election.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 16, 2007 08:36PM

That was a very good way to put it Bryan!

It looks like several people have expressed a welcome for tea.mochi to come on back and hang out with us.

So, how about it tea.mochi? Would you like to give it a try and see what happens?

Date: June 16, 2007 09:50PM

Tea.mochi asks:
Does that mean I'm not allowed:
Sushi (raw fish even though the rice is cooked)??
Bread?
Butter?
Cheese?
Rice in general?
Raw fish? (Its the only meat I can't give up for some reason and I LOVE it raw...)
Rice: I think if you use wild rice (which is really a rice, but a grass) and soak if for a very long time you can eat it.

Hope this helps you out, and if you want to discuss how to fix your car, or politics you can go to the other forum "Other Topics" at [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Love,
Prism

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: June 17, 2007 03:07AM

"However, asking advice on how to eat or prepare cooked or animal foods is inappropriate,"

I totally agree, but I do not see that question in the first post. Am I missing something?

Date: June 17, 2007 05:09AM

And you'll notice that post is still here. The post I deleted had the kind of advice I said was inappropriate for the forum, so I deleted it.

WHOA!
Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: June 18, 2007 06:34PM

You really need to read Natalia Rose's DETOX DIET. It has transition stages that help you well...Transition...ok.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 20, 2007 11:26AM

stop giving tea mochi advice
if he feels unwelcome
LET him

he has that freedom
don't take it away from him

we all have the freedom to indulge in self pity
like everyone can eat oatmeal if they wanna

sheeeesh! just cuz someone feels unwelcome is NOT an invitation to try and FIX how they feel

that was their CHOICE

get it?

people were talking in a plain and matter of fact manner and giving the dude advice

a thank you is in order
anything less than that is not acceptable

if i was a bipedal earth organism
and wanted to ask marine organisms what i could do to become a marine organism

and i kept saying

1) can i wear sneakers?
2) what about boots?

c'mon EVERYONE likes BOOTS! they look good and make me feel like someone!

don't you think the marine organisms would shake their head and tell me

" This is a MARINE environment. If you want to know about how to become a MARINE organism, please ask us about stuff relating to the MARINE environment.. not earth environment."

tea mochi

the answer to your question " can i eat sushi"?

is you can do whatever the heck you WANT to do
and i'm not being facetious

just like i can wear boots underwater if i darn well feel like it

and i probably will ( if i have that unique yearning to do so)

i like my boots to be knee high though
and i like my boots to be black
and i like my boots to have heels

and if i want ALL three of those things
then i will
when i go scuba diving

but i'm not gonna ask marine organisms what their opinion is
because i already know that they aren't in the boot scene

and i sure won't feel rejected if they told me to stop talking about boots

it would make me feel that they were SERIOUS about being marine organisms

that's all

maybe i've just been around a lot of serious people who were serious about what they do

i dunno

i just see things differently

i guess

i usually don't feel rejected by people
maybe that makes me a freak

who knows?

someone could outright say " i reject you"

and i still wouldn't feel rejected

its a strange thing

my point?

have your sushi if you want to

but don't ask raw vegans for pointers

you could ask the marine organisms for pointers though

they would know a thing or two ( heh hehsmiling smiley

Date: June 20, 2007 11:46AM

VeganLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I disturbs me to read "we do not dicscuss animal
> products" as it sounds almost as if no one is
> allowed to asks why a vegan does not eat these
> items. As a vegan I will discuss and argue for
> veganism and against non vegan items. If someone
> wants/needs advice, this board should be a place
> where that person should feel confortable coming
> for advice.
>
> Is this board not such a place?

I actually mean't to type that as "We don't tend to discuss animal products" but missed out the word tend, which I guess makes it sound quite close minded.

All this because I missed a word out, I guess I will have to make sure I triple check my posts in future.

I wasn't trying to make anyone unwelcome just pointing out that most of us here are vegan's or at least aspiring vegans so this probably isn't the best place to get advice on exactly what he is looking for.
I am sure if he is interested in Raw diets he will look up the wealth of info in the internet and find the one that works best for him.
Brian certainly made a better job of that reply than I did, no suprise there though smiling smiley

Phil.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 12:00PM by jadedshade.

Date: June 20, 2007 02:58PM

well said la-v!!!

Date: June 20, 2007 03:02PM

See what happens when a bunch of us have our own opinions on something that peaks our intererst...we runneth amouk, amuck, amuc..amuk? I could have looked up how to spell amuck but what the heck, hek, hec?..I took a chancesmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Date: June 20, 2007 03:44PM

Stupid Vegans, not wanting to discuss non-Vegan subjects on a Vegan board, what a silly concept indeed.

Phil.

Date: June 20, 2007 03:48PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 20, 2007 05:01PM

LaV ...love the analogies smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 21, 2007 04:38AM

jgunn

i'm going to patent underwater fashionable waterproof vegan boots
i think my best customers will be the octopus
cuz they will buy FOUR pairs IMMEDIATELY

will up my profit substantially
wish me luck

just gotta find a way to make them for different sized octopus
its been rough, really
but Confucius sayeth " With great diligence and perseverance, it is indeed possible to forge boots for the aqueous creatures"

i take great comfort in the sayings of my chinese buddy
he is very uplifting

oh yeah, delete me
octopus ain't vegan

( but they will be wearing VEGAN bootssmiling smiley, if I have any say ....

la da da dee dum ho hum

La Veronique Fashionista de Octopi

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables