Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

disturbing
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: July 02, 2007 05:13AM

i saw the peta video, and i almost threw up,, if any of u hav ever seen the movie saw, which i wish i didnt see,, that is what it was like.... except real,,, its just so disturbing how most people dont kno about this, and even if they knew about the video they dont hav the guts 2 watch it,, its disguisting 2 even think about it,,, and the people who go on eating meat even after theyve seen things like that,,,, pisses me off, pisses me the hell off

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: disturbing
Date: July 02, 2007 06:08AM

me and my friend, who just decided 2 go vegan by watching the video, want 2 kno wat more we can do 2 save the animals, i even want 2 kno the "extreme ideas", we dont just want 2 be vegan, we want 2 do more

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 02, 2007 01:52PM

YOu could become members of PETA or contact them to how you can do more.

Or start with your local animal shelters, finding homes for dogs and other animals that would otherwise end up being put down.

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2007 01:53PM by Prism.

Date: July 02, 2007 02:47PM

thankyou for your great ideas prism,, i am really considering doing this as soon as i leave my house at 18,, i will try and contact peta and ask them what more i can do,, luckily here in florida im pretty sure that they outlawed "putting asleep" in wanted animals,, so thats really good,, but im not absolutely positive about this,,, ill just do wat i can right now

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: July 02, 2007 04:02PM

perhaps you could volunteer to work at your local vet clinic. hey, maybe you could even get a start as a vet or a vet tech this way. is that something you are interested in? volunteer work is a great way to get your foot in the door and its also very rewarding in other ways as well.

Date: July 02, 2007 04:03PM

i showed my sister, whos 15, the video last night,, well halfway through it, noteven halfway, she walked out and goes 'watever i want 2 go 2 bed"

so this morning i asked her if that video wanted 2 make her go veggitarian, she said no

i stared at her for a while and asked her if she was joking, and why?

she said i already knew animals were treated like that tortured or watever, but idk i still want 2 eat meat bc it tastes good, shes asked me didnt u kno that..
and i said no i had no idea

i was bewildered and disguisted,, i couldnt believe it....

well i made a big mistake and got really pissed off

i got in a fight with her about something else,, but it got really nasty

this has lowered my opinion of her

idk wat 2 do

how do i block this out of my head, about her,, bc this is important 2 me, and i dont understand how anyone who has a soul or a heartcan go on eating meat after witnessing this

can someone please give me advice

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 02, 2007 06:11PM

-Can't change people. Only provide a joyous and successful example. For sure. I know it's hard to believe.......you'll see. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 02, 2007 06:22PM

fuzzysox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can someone please give me advice

I agree with David, you can't change other people, you can only change yourself. I've helped several people go raw, not by preaching to them or telling them what they should do, but by feeding them tasty raw food and being a positive example - I have lots of energy, good health, etc, and they want that for themselves.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 02, 2007 06:33PM

Even if a person is without compassion, how can they think eating the results of such misery can produce health? Even from a purely selfish point of view, vegetarianism makes sense.

It's no wonder that eating meat creates such disease.

Date: July 02, 2007 06:36PM

thankyou davidzanemason and funky rob you guys are right.. im working on that right now,, thankyou forthat advice :]

pihourova i wanted 2 be a vet when i was little,, actually now i want 2 be a nature preservationist,,lol if thats even a word,, idk know how 2 explain it....umm sortof like the ppl who are protecting the rain forest from being destroyed and animals from being distinct,, i cant describe it,, i dont even kno how go about doing it, and its not just bc i saw this video, lol,, i wanted 2 do this way before

Date: July 02, 2007 06:44PM

greenie i totally agree,,before wen i heard about this video, i didnt see it,, this was a year ago,, i still kept eating meat,, and the only reason was because i was paranoid/ocd about my diet and other things,,, imean completely paranoid and ocd,, i was on meds for it,,,i hadnt seen the video and i thought then that if i gave up meat and dairy then everything would just fall apart,, literally..though it already was,,, turns out i had mercury poisoning from the massive amounts of fish i was eating,, it serves me right,, plus if that had never happened i wouldnt be here now :]
but my point is that the only time i felt this way was wen i was acutely ill with ocd and paranoia because of mercury poisoning,,,, whats other ppls excuse

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 02, 2007 07:32PM

Well I have to admit, I was vegetarian in high school and despite knowing how animals are treated, I went back to eating meat. I wasn't being properly nourished on a cooked vegetarian diet and so I just started craving meat like crazy and finally gave in, I don't do well on carbs. It wasn't until over 10 years later that I went raw vegan - still, I didn't do it for the animals. Weird, because I'm an animal lover. But I really believed that meat was our intended diet. NOW, I truly believe we were never meant to eat meat, because it was only on raw vegan that the light bulb went on. When I see meat chunks, especially beef, my mind now sees the fur and the face, too. It just happened one day on raw, I never tried, but I really see the connections now.

Everyone has their own path, your sister has hers, and you have to accept who she is regardless.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 02, 2007 08:21PM

I guess I can see why that would be irritating. quite a commitment tho don't you think? most people would never watch such a thing or if they did, they would make up some kind of web of decpetion so they could continue on doing what they are doing. At least she has a 'reason'. "i'm 15 and it tastes good" When I was 15, I had much 'bigger' things on my mind and could have had the same response given the situation.

people can only do what they can do. Its not like people who smoke DON'T KNOW it destroys their lungs or that being obese is bad for you. It isn't INFORMATION which changes people. For most, the OPTIONS just arn't there. and then even if they do appear, they arn't exactly easy. This board being an example, look how difficult it is just to turn thing around, to eat 'reasonably'. its not like its something you can just pick up, like a chicken wing. It takes commitment, opening up to new concepts, slowly reversing the state of your health etc...it should be clear by now that most people have ZERO interest in taking those steps.

these things come in degrees also. for some, eating apples and oranges together is a sin. lol try explaing that one to the maitre d' at dallas BBQ

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 02, 2007 08:36PM

I am sorry about your sister. It is something you will have to face with many relationships for the rest of your life. We only get to be in charge of ourselves even when we know better. You have two choices-accept them for the way they are and focus on the benefits of the relationship or decide it is too much to accept and distance yourself from them. If I were to run off everyone who ate animals I would only have you guys and my kids unless they decide someday to eat it. It is a choice you can only make for yourself. I think when you are older and look for a mate it is a good idea to try and be very clear with yourself about what you can and cannot be happy with. You want to totally respect someone you marry.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 03, 2007 04:19AM

I agree with Pakd4fun and David and anaken. I have meat-eating friends and family, and what can you do? Most of them realize meat isn't good for them but they still eat it. This is a decision that each person must make for themselves, you can't push it on someone else.

But still, it's incomprehensible to me how they can do it, it's so abhorrent in every way.

What is truly amazing is that many of my meat-eating friends consider themselves to be spiritual yet they eat chicken, fish, even red meat.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 03, 2007 05:31AM

I don't get it either, but one thing I've noticed is that a lot of people with really bad diets are still really good people in other ways. It's hard to understand.

I guess sunshine79's light bulb just hasn't gone on for them yet!

Fuzzy, you might like to check with your local humane society and see whether they euthanize or not. If they don't, then they probably need lots of volunteers to help walk their dogs and take care of their other animals. If they do, then there may be an animal sanctuary in your area, and they'll need volunteers too.

Just a thought if you're interested. smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 05:40AM by suncloud.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 03, 2007 04:04PM

I think that on a cooked food diet, people with a certain metabolism can't do it without meat. Some people can be vegan or vegetarian on cooked and have no problems; I personally couldn't do it despite the care I put into making sure I had adequate protein. I think it might be a yin/yang thing, I'm not exactly sure what to call it but I just hate it when people are obtuse about other peoples' metabolisms and think that just because they're able to eat a certain way, then everybody else should be able to, as well. Like it's pure CHOICE. It's not. Everyone can be vegan on raw but we actually have to be raw first, in order to be vegan. As long as people are eating cooked food, people will eat meat.

(sorry for the rant, I'm just annoyed at being stuck indoors on a summer day)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 04:12PM by sunshine79.

Date: July 03, 2007 04:14PM

At lunch time everyday, there is this guy who says to me "What are you eating now?" As if he really doesn't want to know! When I tell him the raw foods that I have on my plate, he tells me the same thing every day "Can't live without my meat and taters" This goes on every lunch day! I ignore his sarcasim, and love it when he asks what I'm eating for lunch! I haven't seen him for over a week and I just found out he had a heart attack, but he's fine now. I don't think he'll ever recognize that the way he eats has nothing to do with why he had a heart attack. Coming from him, he'll say stress.

But another video I wished I never saw, but glad I did is "Meet the Meat" (google it).

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 03, 2007 05:18PM

Hi Sunshine,

Very interesting observation that a person has to be raw before they can give up meat. It's possible it was true for me too, though I never really thought about it before.

I'm sure it's not true for everybody though. My husband has been strict 100% vegan for 21 years, and he's not raw. Like you said, it might have something to do with the metabolism. He has a very quick metabolism, an iron stomach, and is very active.

For me, I just could never eat all the cooked grain, potatoes, and tofu that he can eat.

Hope you get to go outside soon! smiling smiley

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: July 03, 2007 08:20PM

I hope by "extreme ideas" you don't mean violence towards non-vegans.

Date: July 03, 2007 08:25PM

Wow Thomas. That hadn't occured to me.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 03, 2007 09:33PM

fuzzysox .. when i was in nepal i was chatting with a monk one day .. and i was lamenting the state of the world , my relationships , my family etc etc..

he told me wow it must be amazing to be perfect as you .. i was puzzled and said what do you mean ..

he said well you must be perfect if you are so concerned with everyone elses lives

call it a tibetan slap in the face lol

basically i had no right to judge others while leading my life that was in no way in any sort of harmony at that time

if you want to join peta and local humane societies thats certainly a great step in the right direction .. but if you want people close to you to change then lead by example ..not by anger

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 03, 2007 09:38PM

also ..id be wary of any *extreme* ideas that might get you jail time

a mink farmer here locally had some people come in and let all the mink go .. granted the mink werent living the greatest existance ..

out of 1000 mink only 55 were recovered, nearly 600 were counted flattened on the highway, and the rest went on to be poisioned, killed, eaten by local farmers, dogs and coyotes, mink are not native to this particular area and farmed mink have little or no instinct to survive

this kind of guerrilla tactics i dont beleive in

i was on the clean up crew on this and it was heartbrreaking to see this happen .. just as heartbreaking knowing they were going to be made into fur coats

fur coats should be illegal

Date: July 03, 2007 10:44PM

lol,, i was wondering wat everyone was talking about when they kept writing extreme ideas, i forgot i wrote that lol

no wat i meant by 'extreme ideas" was something like hands on work that has more of a public impact than working at the animal shelter,,not that that is a bad idea!! its a really great idea,, idk a real spread the word sortof thing... not any terroristic threats towards non vegans lol,, or releasing all the minks,,, tho i sincerely wish i could...poor minks :[

sunshine79 yor story is alot like mine,, except i now realize that i do not need meet 2 survive,,my family was eating bacon on their salads 2day (way 2 ruin a salad),, and all i could think about wen i saw the bacon was those poor pigs getting beaten 2 death and their legs broken because they were 2 week 2 go on..i deffinately see the face on all meat now..it makes me very sad....
i can see wat u mean not being able 2 exist on a standard vegan diet,, i couldnt do i either...i suppose slow metabolism is 2 blame 4 that...im sorry u were pent up in the house 2day,, i hate being at my house all day 2..feels like im killing brain cells lol if thats possible

anaken ya well i dont see how her reason is viable,, but watever..thats the reason she gives and i just hav 2 live with it.... u r right tho.. it took me getting really sick 2 be where i am now... i suppose its going 2 take something dramatic in her life also 2 make her see things differently..if she chooses 2

pakd4fun,respect is an issue i hav with my family.. i find i lose it more and more for them everyday..not bc of veganism..but just bc of things that hav happened 2 me... im trying 2 learn how 2 respect them...i still love them tho..and i dont want 2 dissassociate myself from them...there are so many layers 2 the meat thing... 2 me it just shows wat kind of person they are... i mean my sister is still young.. maybe she will grow out of it..maybe wen she is more mature she will realise the selfishness involved with it...but my parents are another story....they are much older and supposed 2 be much more mature....but they arent...i havent even shown my dad the movie bc i am afraid wat their reactions will be...i guess im just going 2 hav 2 block it out of my brain

greenie my dad is just like yor friends...he thinks hes so spiritual and knos everything there is 2 kno...and yet most of the time everything he does is far from spiritual..i hope i dont become like that

deegarry that guy must b really annoying..i work with ppl just like that...i just ignore it and be like watever ...actually my family is like that 2....i pretty much didnt care until i knew wat they were eating was tortured and mutalated animals...now wenever they do that i just want 2 snap back at them...but i dont...i just want 2 be like hey i dont tell u how disguisting yor food is, so why dont u just leave me alone about mine, thankyou very much!

well im talking with my sister again,, and im just trying 2 pu it aside...you are all right about me being an example, instead of trying 2 control ppl...i already knew that... its just the dissappointment i need 2 get over

Date: July 03, 2007 11:18PM

One thing that might help is finding at least one thing that you admire in someone and try to focus on that. Try to put the negative feeling to the side when you are together.

Date: July 04, 2007 02:05AM

ok lol wasnt sure how *extreme* your extreme level was just htought id post an anology

those poor mink were not better off let loose then in the cage.. it was a no win situation

public awareness and boycotting does work ..in the long term

fuzzy look at yourself as a the candle ..and the moths will be drawn to the light

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables