Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Anybody on 80-10-10 or want to start?
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: July 09, 2007 01:07PM

Hey guys!!
Raw bodies and alcohol do not go well together. Had too much wine and now I want to die...
Oh well, live and LEARN (I hope I learn this time...)

Well, today for breakfast I had 3 small-medium frozen bananas mixed with raw cacao in a smoothie (didn't have any spinach at home sadly), and now for my first lunch, I am having a peach and a nectarine... I never understood this- what is the difference between these fruits besides the fuzz on the outside?

I am probably gonna take a walk to the shops and buy some veggies and have another banana. My fridge is very empty at the moment. smiling smiley

Planning on having some oranges, a pineapple maybe, and then a large cabbage salad with tomatoes, cukes, pickles and tahini. It takes me almost an hour of chewing to get all this salad down, hehe

As I am a bit hungover, I don't really feel like eating anything except for bananas. They never fail to take my nausea away. grinning smiley

xxpeisi

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 09, 2007 06:43PM

I've been playing with fitday.com and I can see why Doug eats lots of bananas, which really fit in with keeping the ratio to his 80/10/10 easier.

Here's what I can eat today, to keep it close to that %.

2 C watermelon
1/2 small cantaloupe

9 raw cashews (or you could have small amt. of avo, or other high fat food)

6 bananas (only 1 will go into a smoothie, the rest I'll eat)
6 large strawberries
1 C raspberries
1 mango
1 C passion fruit juice (for my smoothie)

Large salad with
lettuces
carrots
cucumbers
red cabbage
1 ear of raw corn grated into salad and 2 T salsa to top it.

So it seems like you either don't eat the high fat food like nuts, seeds, nut butters, avo, or you just choose one and only eat 1 serving of it per day.

Cal=1506
Fat 14%
Carbs 79%
Protein 7%

I'm going to try cutting out the high fat foods once I get my temptations under control. So far I've not given in, except to raw cashews and avo. But those I'll be giving up to see how I feel with much less fat. Who can eat 4 raw cashews, or 1/4 of small avo?!

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 06:46PM by Prism.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 09, 2007 08:18PM

Prism,
I've with you on the avocado...I find it so satisfying and fulfilling. Today I didn't have one, but I had made some marinara to eat with spaghetti squash and it has olive oil...so that was my fat. I'm also having a problem getting enough protein. I"ll check out fitday.com.

You're doing great!!! Keep up the good work!

Date: July 09, 2007 08:23PM

It if were 70% carbs/20% fat/10% protein then it would be much easier! I wonder how he came up with the % amounts. I guess the book might answer that question.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 09, 2007 08:55PM

Yeah...I'm going to go onto Dr. Graham's website and see if I can get the book. I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks with Amazon. Any suggestions for getting more protein? I looked at fit day and it seems that most of the foods I'm eating only have 1-2 proteins each...which is why I'm having trouble getting enough. I'm still shooting for 80-10-10, but 70-20-10 sure seems a lot easier. But who said this was going to be easy! I'm happy with the results I'm getting though!

Posted by: emilym ()
Date: July 09, 2007 11:30PM

Hey everybody,

I'd like to join you. I, too have a difficult time getting my fat down to 10%, but seeing how great you all are doing, inspires me! Plus all the delish produce available now makes 80/10/10 more appealing. I love the way eating so much fruit makes my skin so smooth.

I'll post a bikini photo, too, so Peisi isn't alone. Bear in mind though, I've had three kids.

I excercise on a Pilates reformer for about 45 minutes 3-4 times a week, plus I ride a bike around the neighborhood with my kids most days.

I'll start posting my food intake tomorrow.

Peace,
Robin

Date: July 10, 2007 12:53PM

Hi Everybody... and thanks for joining the bandwagon. I'm so glad we started this thread. It has been a great encouragement to me. welcome Robin! I'm sure you will find this way of eating helpful to you and successful. I am thrilled with my results to date and each day gets easier! Having a routine is easiest for me as far as planning and staying commited. If I get bored with it, I can certainly mix it up...but knowing what to eat really helps me. I am staying full and satisfied. My energy level is stable and I'm sleeping well at night (Previous to raw, I had taken melatonin to sleep for the past 5 years!)

Day 5 Journal
Breakfast: Green Smoothie (1c kale, 1 c spinach, 2 nectarines, 2 bananas)
Lunch: Zucchini squash "spaghetti" & marinara
Snack: 1large apple
Dinner: HUGE fruit salad (2 oranges, 1 pineapple, 6 apricots )

carbs: 69
fat: 21 (olive oil in the marinara)
prot: 10
exercise: 5 mile brisk walk
calories: 1258 consumed

Weight Loss: 4.6 in 5 days

NOTE: I am trying to take 1 TB Apple cider vinegar in a cup of water 3x a day to ease aches and pains. I only got one dose in on Sunday and I really felt it yesterday. But yesterday I got in my 3 doses so I'm hoping for a better day today. I don't know if its arthritis, my age or what. The ACV also works as a natural appetite suppressant.

Date: July 10, 2007 09:50PM

Today was not good for me, I didn't even really try to stay raw today. I'll retry again tomorrow, and I'll eat more fruits for the rest of today..a nice big smoothie!

Stress definately plays a part when I fail to stay any % of raw. I've been very stressed today.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 10, 2007 11:02PM

Sorry you had a bad day Prism. I have been an emotional eater for years, but for some reason, I seem to be doing much better since going raw. For me, planning is the key..and having stuff available when a craving hits. And no matter what you're facing, it won't last forever...eventually, this too will pass. Keep your chin up. I'm proud of you for setting a new resolve for tomorrow. You're not in this alone!

Date: July 11, 2007 12:05AM

Yes Prism!! It will get easier! Maybe try transitioning slower?

I think I am going to try making almond milk for my tea... The thing is, I like drinking something warm in the afternoons... I wonder if I can boil water, wait until it is warm enough I can put my finger in it, then seep the tea and add almond milk...

That or buy a waterbottle...
My favourite part of drinking tea is the warm feeling on my hands smiling smiley

OOoooooOOO I think I just solved my own problem!
This board is great... grinning smiley

My personal challenges so far are as follows:
-I want to become a total vegan... No "sometimes" cheese and milk or bread because I don't want to offend people who made me food
-I want to cut out honey (I have already cut out sugar, which ISN'T vegetarian by the way!!)
-I want to cut out tea because I feel it is unnecesary if all I really want is the heat

Other than that, I am basically 100% raw. I think that maybe now is the time, and I am ready to make the switch from 95% raw to 100%... The only problem is that I am going to Canada, home to my mom for a month... Not sure if I am ready to deal with my family asking a bunch of strange questions about my "eccentric behaviour". My mom is morbidly obese though, and I am planning on helping her get started on a higher raw diet for better health. But I know that in the beginning, she will be extremely skeptical. This will also be my vacation and I don't want to get mentally exhausted by devoting so much of myself to other people at the same time as I am dealing with my own issues... Does that make any sense?

I hope I get some time to enjoy my fruit, lay in the sun and enjoy my youth. grinning smiley

Anyway, food today was:
breakfast: 2 frozen bananas, 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tablespoons raw cacao, 1 tablespoon mesquite meal
snack: orange and a pint of strawberries
lunch: cabbage salad with tomatoes, cucumber, a sliced pickle and homemade unhulled raw tahini with lemon juice
snack 2: a cup of dried apricots and one fresh apricot
snack 3: a raw vanoffe bar from funkyraw.com

then it gets kinda shady. I went to my neighbour and had a cup of tea with milk and honey, a cup of coffee, and then 2 more cups of tea... :s
When I got home, I cut up a pineapple and ate it, and made my husband the smoothie I had this morning. I didn't drink two, but I am pleased to saw that my husband, who isn't raw, really enjoyed it!!

Well, anyhow, I hope everyone else is doing really good!! I am going to come post here a lot about if I am reaching my goals or not. I am glad I have this forum for support!!

take care all,
xxpeisi

Date: July 11, 2007 12:08AM

edit: HOT waterbottle I meant, to warm my hands...
sorry, tired and not making much sense :p

Date: July 11, 2007 01:50AM

Hi all,

Prism, I am definately an emotional eater, too! I ate a handful of corn chips this afternoon when I was feeling a bit weak and overwhelmed. We'll do better tomorrow.

No bikini picture today. I wanted someone to take my picture this morning before my a.m. watermelon (belly bloat), but my husband left for the office before I could do it. I half thought I should wear my bikini all day for inspiration, plus it is soooo hot. The weather, that is, not me in a bikini.

I did take my measurments, though. Here they are:
Height: 5'5"
weight: 136.4#
neck: 12.5"
chest: 35.5"
waist: 29.25"
abdomen, near bellybutton: 35.25"
buttocks/hips: 36.5"
thigh: 21.5"
calf: 13.6"
bicep: 10.5"

Today I ate: Watermelon, big bowl: 600 gms
red grapes: 400 gms
blueberries: 480 gms
chips: 46 gms (I actually measured them!)
salad: cucumbers: 776 gms, tomatoes: 300 gms, tahihn: 2 Tbs, lemon juice: 4 Tbs, plus some redmond salt.
CALORIES: 1363, CARBS: 74%, FAT: 19%, PROTEIN: 7%
No formal excercise, but riding biles a bit with my kids.

I really want to cut out the salt, and the chips, of course, but sometimes I go for the salt in order to cut the fat, know what I mean?

Peisi, good luck on your trip! Where in Canada are you going? I wondered how your english was so so good, but every person I've ever met from Scandanavia has spoken perfect english!

Islandgirl, congrats on the weight loss! What's in your marinara sauce?

Peace,
Robin

Date: July 11, 2007 02:11AM

I am going to a town called Portage la Prairie. My family is actually swiss french, but I have dual citizenship of Canada and Sweden. grinning smiley

I think my english is getting worse and worse. I need to practice it more often.

xxpeisi

Date: July 11, 2007 02:12AM

Here is one recipe I like for marinara from Alisha Cohen...but it makes a LOT! This recipe made one 12" pizza and 3 servings of "spaghetti"

2 1/2 c tomatoes (I used roma)
12 sundried tomatoes, soaked
1/4 c olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
3 dates, pitted & soaked
2 TB parsley
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tsp sea salt

It is SO good!

Posted by: GotVeggie ()
Date: July 11, 2007 03:02AM

wow this is new info.. I'm doing research on this. very interesting.

Date: July 11, 2007 01:01PM

Day 6 Journal

No weight loss this morning...actually it was up .2 Although that is not significant, I believe it was due to eating too many bananas yesterday (6) which I seemed to have been craving. I feel good today and still happy with my weight loss total for the week. Tomorrow will be the one week mark...YEAH! I remember on day 2 thinking I don't know if I can do this...but now, I'm really getting used to it, although I honestly haven't conquered the 10% fat thing yet...and last night I had a little slip up with egg drop soup ( 3 cups). My protein had been low all week (around 6%), so that fixed that! Here are my totals for yesterday:

Carb 70%
Prot 12%
Fat 18 %
calories 1447 - 236 from exercise = 1211 total

Date: July 11, 2007 01:27PM

Such a bummer when it is raining outside and I want to go for a walk...
My exercise today is going to be minimal.
Guess I will have to blast the techno and dance around my flat instead!! grinning smiley

xxpeisi

Date: July 11, 2007 10:26PM

Day 7 note:
well, I have had a terrible day of feeling poorly and craving foods. I will tertainly not be having egg drop soup again! It is so NOT worth it! Feeling Tired...achy joints...depressed and lethargic. I'll be glad when this passes and hopefully tomorrow will be better.

On the brighter side of things, I had two positive comments this week. A lady I know told me I looked really good without makeup. That was a first. I remember about 10 years ago, going to the office without makeup and everyone thought I had the flu! It got to be funny...everyone asking me if I was okay with this worried look on their faces. Then my hubby told me at dinner last night that my eyes looked incredibly blue...more so than he had ever noticed before...and I wasn't wearing any makeup or contacts. So...I guess that can be chalked up to raw foods.

I'm back to 100% today! I really want to stay 100%...partly because I'm a bit obsessive and perfectionistic about doing things, so if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right! And no food is worth feeling bad like this! I really appreciate this forum and the support it offers. It really helps!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Date: July 11, 2007 10:38PM

day 7 Food Journal

Well, I made it one week. YEAH. I'll post my weekly weight loss in the morning. Other than feeling crappy today, I ate really well and my totals have been the best so far (83 c/10f/7p) and my first day to get my fat intake down to 10%. another yeah for me!

Breakfast: I had my usual breakfast smoothie (ic kale, 1 1/2 c spinach, 2 banans, 6 strawerries, 1 tb carob and I had to add a little agave [2TB] because the banans were NOT sweet!)

Snacks: 1 pear,40 grapes, 2 plums

Dinner: large romaine salad with raisins and tahini / orange dressing
Total Calories: 1275 - 212 from exercise= 1063

Date: July 12, 2007 02:42AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the recipe, islandgirl. I have that Alissa Cohen book, but I haven't opened it in ages. Time to look it over again.

Peisi, are you going to Quebec? I live in western NY and I've always wanted to go there. I've been to Ontario lots, as it is just accross Lake Ontario, but I've never been to any other provinces. I did a report on Prince Edward Island when I was a girl, and it's always held a romantic sway over me, too.

Well, I was doing ok today, just blueberries ubtil 2:30pm, but I sort of ran out of fruit, and got a little panicy, and ate some chips, Then threw the rest of them away! Had a big salad around 4:30 smiling smiley, then ate some chocolate around 6 pm
sad smiley. Also feeling a bit nauseous after the chocolate.

So my percentages were: 65 carbs/29 fat/6 protein. Before the chocolate: 68 c/26 f/6 p. Calories: 1582.

I did my pilates, and a bit of bike riding, which nutridiary calculates as burning 286 calories.

I hope you are feeling better, island girl. My husband has also told me I'm looking good lately. I haven't been wearing make-up either. I told him I've been trying to stick to 80/10/10 lately. I think it is wonderful for the skin.

Peace,
Robin

Date: July 12, 2007 09:36AM

Yesterday I was 100% and I am feeling AWESOME!

Food was: (I woke up in the middle of the night to chill with my husband and ate a pineapple at about 2 am)

11:30- 2bananas, 1 cup spinach, mesquite meal and raw cacao in a smoothie
13:30- an orange, a banana, one brazil nut and a fresh apricot
14:30- 1 cup of dried apricots and some blueberries
16:30- 20 red seeded grapes, cabbage salad with homemade organic unhulled sesame tahini, tomatoes, cucumbers, a pickle and LOADS of parsley. Did you guys know that there is more calcium in parsley than sesame seeds if you compare calories and it has 1/8th of the oxalate or whatever in spinach, so the calcium is much mroe absorbed!! I had to share that, I think it is GREAT!
18:30- another of my banana breakfast smoothies and I stole an orange slice from the dinner I made for my husband smiling smiley

Feeling GREAT today and I plan to eat:
breakfast- the usual
snack- 2 clementines
lunch- strawberries
snack 2- cabbage salad with nutritional yeast instead of tahini today
supper- a pineapple, blueberries, grapes and any other fruit I might want.

If I am still hungry, I will make my favourite banana smoothie again. Man, I never get sick of the taste of bananas and cacao!!

I also had to decide between the 80-10-10 book and storm and jinjees ebooks this month because I can't afford both, and I chose the ebooks based on what I saw in the rawcumentary. I get skeptical around people who seem to have no doubts about their diet, and this dr. graham seems to not be as openminded to questioning his diet as Storm and Jinjee are.
I think I made a really good choice! I am loving what I am reading so far, especially on raw pregnancy! I send Jinjee an email thanking her for this information. grinning smiley

xxpeisi

Date: July 12, 2007 01:05PM

I can't believe HOW MUCH BETTER I FEEL!!! The best part is no joint pain and no depressive heaviness! My eating was really good yesterday (day 7) and had the best %s since starting. It really does make a difference. Thank you Prism for your kind regards. Peisinoe, it sounds like you had an awesome day too. GREAT FOR YOU!

In one week I was able to lose the 4 lbs I put on during the month of June, my first month going raw and going crazy on nut butter and avocadoes...plus an additional 2 lbs for a total of 6 lbs!!!! I'm thrilled with those results. My initial concern when I started this was that I would gain weight (since I DID!!!), but finding out about 811 has been a God-send!

Peisinoe, I haven't heard anything about Jinjee and Storm (I'm still a newbie). Can you give a brief overview and maybe a link to find out more.

Today I plan to add flax seeds into my smoothies. I read last night that besides being full of the omegas ( can't remember 3 0r 6) they have anti-inflammatory properties, so I'm hoping they will take care of my joint pain and I can ease up on the apple cider vinegar I am having to choke down. I just can't get used to it straight...I'd much rather put it in a salad dressing!

Hope everyone has a great day. The weekend is ALMOST here!

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: July 12, 2007 05:00PM

Hello all ... Ive been a raw foodist for about 7 mouths and 811 about 6 of them. For me it was easy going cold turkey on my excess fat intake ... and I find that my sucess on this life style came with many more calories. I got down to a frightining weight, and Now im up 10 pounds of muscle and climbing! Also remember not to starve yourself ... you'll be surprized at how much you can eat and not gain weight ... Trust mesmiling smiley
Breakfeast:
-2 cantaloupe
Lunch:
-10 Oz (16)Dates, medjool
-1.5 Cucumber
Dinner:
-5C Grapes
-1 strip Celery
-Salad-
Spinach
Oranges
Hemp Nuts
Oranges

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Date: July 12, 2007 07:10PM

I am going to Quebec but not staying long. We are going to south central, near winnipeg, and then up far north to my forests. smiling smiley

xxpeisi

Date: July 13, 2007 02:28AM

Well, I had a terrible eating day today, and I felt like quitting ths group, as I normally would do, but that's not what this is for, right?

My husband kind of pissed me off this afternoon, and I ate some bread and olive oil. By some I mean a lot. Now I look 7 months pregnant. Ok. Now it's over. Got lots of fruit for tomorrow.

BTW, my husband apologized for being snarky with me and he said it was because he had low blood sugar!

Thanks for sharing your experience, mocha. I love to hear and see success stories.

Your trip sounds delightful, Peisi. The forests must be beautiful. I have some of Jinjee and Storm's e-books. She is so beautiful. I wish I had known of her before I had my kids. Her latest delivery sounded blissful.

Islandgirl, you are going great! I'm inspired by your success, too!

I'm going to go to bed, so I can get started on tomorrow!

Peace,
Robin

Date: July 13, 2007 03:07AM

Emilym,
By the time you read this, it will be a new day. Don't beat yourself up over yesterday...you certainly could have done a lot worse than bread & olive oil.

I'm glad you're not going to quit.One little slip up isn't a failure so hang in there. Every positive step you take toward raw foods is an overall improvement in your health.

I look forward to reading everyone's posts. I don't personally know anyone who eats raw foods, other than myself, so I gain a lot of inspiration from this board. My family are still SAD eaters. They make fun of me a little, but are generally supportive.

Hope you had a good night's rest Robin and have a great Friday!
Tammie

Date: July 13, 2007 03:53AM

I know how you feel about those 'cheats' Emilyn! Just make it a new day tomorrow and you'll be back on track.

I did better today, but still not the 80/10/10..but that's ok, I did have lots of fruits, no real big cheats, and I feel pretty good. I hope my book arrives sooner than latersmiling smiley

I always get inspired by a new raw food book.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 13, 2007 06:55AM

Measurements:
My height is 174 cms (5'8''), I weigh 61 kilos (134 pounds, no change) and my measurements otherwise are as follows:
neck 30.5 cm - 12 inches
bust 86 cm - 34 inches
waist 64 cm - 25 inches
abdomen 83 cm - 32.5 inches
hips 88 cm - 35 inches
upper thigh 51.0 cm - 20 inches!! (lost a cm, only 2 more inches to go!! hehe)
calv (at the biggest part) 34 cm - 13.5 inches
upper arm 25 cm - little less than 10 inches

I made a menu plan for my mom while I am in Canada. Her and an Aunt of mine are going to try it for a while and see if they can lose weight on this diet...

Today will be:

breakfast: banana-spinach-cacao-mesquite smoothie
snack: 2 oranges
lunch: pint of strawberries, parsley and swiss chard salad with tomatoes, cukes, a pickle and lemon/olive oil dressing
snack: another smoothie (same as breakfast)
supper: grapes, pineapple, blueberries

Total Cals: 1220 (my walking burns at least the 220, so that is a 1000 cal day)

And now I am off!!

xxpeisi

Date: July 13, 2007 02:50PM

Peisinoe...sounds like you're doing great, even while away from home. Mocha...thanks for the alert to make sure we're eating enough calories. It really helps me to monitor mine on fitday.com. I know how many calories I need to eat in order to lose the weight I want...then I will consume for calories to maintain. Yesterday, Week 2, day 1: 1225 calores - 212 from exercise = 1013, Weight down .8 totals for the day 81c / 7 p / 11 fat

Have a great day everybody!

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: July 13, 2007 05:30PM

Today was another good day ...
-2hr Jujitsu, alot of walking and Packing(moving to a new Appartment)
Breakfest:
-8nanas,1head redleaf,1/4C Cocowtr smoothie

Lunch:
-Kiwi Soup: 3 Kiwis & 1/2Cucumber peeled
-4 Mangos & another Cucumber w/Peel

Dinner:
-BlackBry Necterine Salad: 5 Necterines,1c blackberries, 2Tbsp Hemp Nuts, 1 Head romaine;Dressing-1C Blackberries and 1CBlueberries blended
Carb/Pro/Fat
83/08/09 - 2415 Cal
Yum! smiling smiley

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 05:33PM by Mocha.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables