Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Anybody on 80-10-10 or want to start?
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 20, 2007 03:34PM

Hi Peisi... I was just wondering about you the other day. Glad you checked in and glad things are going well for you in Canada.

Mocha...hope your blood work goes well today!

I have had a rocky week of wanting to eat everything in sight, but weakly attempting some restraint. I looked at my average for the week and my caloric intake was on average about 1500 calories which accounts for why I haven't lost any weight this week, but I haven't gained any either. My fat % averaged 16%, which was actually better than I thought. I had some 10% days, but some 17-20% days too. I hope to do better next week.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. My hubby and I will be checking out some farmer's markets tomorrow. I can't wait to see what lovelies we will bring home!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 21, 2007 11:04AM

To islandgirl, prism, and mislu,

I was also surprised to read here that watermelon contained 12% fat. I checked that out on nutritiondata.com, and their site says watermelon contains 4% fat (89/4/7).

Hope you don't mind me throwing that in. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2007 11:04AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: July 21, 2007 11:45AM

Suncloud
Maybe a watermelon w/seeds would be 12% fat, but anyway Im glad you information has been satisfactory. By the way Ive been eating alot of watermelon the past day(1 for breakfast each day) for my iron, my family laughs, but alot of people dont realize how complete watermelons or just melons in general are nutrionaly smiling smiley, anyways got my blood done, fill you in with results when I get them

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Date: July 21, 2007 12:33PM

Mocha, that's a very good point that maybe a watermelon with seeds might be 12% fat. Nutritiondata.com doesn't specify whether their info is with or without seeds.

Islandgirl, where did the 12% figure come from, and do they specify if that includes the seeds?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2007 12:35PM by suncloud.

Posted by: emilym ()
Date: July 21, 2007 02:23PM

Hi everybody,

Still here! Just been busy with summer camps, and stuff. I haven't been inputting my food values anywhere, but I think I've been pretty good, Melon in the morning, berries and bananas in the afternoon, and a big, big salad with tahini dressing in the evening. Not very good on the excercise this week though, only one reformer session, and some walking around museums, which makes me feel wiped out!

Peisi, fantastic news about your mom, I hope she does great.

Island girl, I hope your weight loss picks up again soon. It's hard eating out, isn't it? I always order a salad, then it is soooo small compared to what I would normally eat, and so expensive! I usually chop up my cucumbers and tomatoes really small so they give off a lot of juice, then there is no need for a lot of dressing, I usually add 2 T, of tahini and the juice of a lemon. Then in a restaurant, I get the dressing on the side, since "no dressing" seems to confuse them, and the salad is a bit dry!

Good luck to you, Mocha! My husband was just at a weekend camp with my 9-year-old, and one of the fellow 9-year-old campers was a bit of a "behaviour problem", my husband said. He told me the boy had hot chocolate with a few packets of sugar everymorning, and a couple of cans of Coke everyday (then said his mother says he doesn't have to brush his teeth on the weekends). This poor boy is quite over-fat, too. Here is a family who needs some intervention! Talk about an eating dis-order! It is sad that young health seekers get put under the state's microscope, while the rest of the country grows up fat!

Peace,
Robin

Date: July 21, 2007 03:42PM

Suncloud...I got the 12% fat from fitday.com. I just put in the amount of watermelon I had eaten for the day (and that was all I had) and it said 12%. Maybe that was 12% of my daily intake...not 12% fat in the watermelon. Who knows...it was early...and I am blonde!

Date: July 21, 2007 04:02PM

Yeap...Suncloud is right. I re-input the info into fitday. The watermelon itself is 5% fat and it comprised 12% of my daily fat intake. My mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

Date: July 21, 2007 10:12PM

Hi islandgirl,

Blonde? LOL!

Thanks for clearing up that mystery. smiling smiley

Date: July 23, 2007 07:38PM

Well, I made it through the weekend and hit Monday head on with new resolve to be 100%. My love affair with cooked food is over. What I ate over the weekend just has lost its appeal! However I'm not sure I can do 80/10/10, although I am attempting to keep my fat low. I'm tired of stressing about it. Maybe I'll start a new thread...70 / 20 / 10?????????? LOL!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2007 05:37PM

hello.. and happy to introduce myself. I am Mariposa from Long Island and this is Day 11 for me on 80/20 raw foods! Yea! I have been a vegetarian my entire adult life having just recently celebrated my 48 earthday and still managed to wind up overweight! too much birthday cake probably winking smiley I am recently inspired to pursue life as a raw foodist.

This thread in particular, has been pretty interesting for me to read.. and has helped me to figure out that I am completely and totally overeating on my fats. so I have a question, perhaps obvious to some, but this is it: if I am eating nuts, do they count as fat or protein or both?

Once I make it through this transition period, I look forward to joining you all on this 80-10-10 challenge. Thankfully, the headaches and nausea have subsided.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: July 24, 2007 06:56PM

Mocha,

It will be interesting to see what they say when your bloodwork comes back.
In this article, some may have seen this, about raw vegans bone density, at the end they say they're not sure if it's the best thing to do long term but turn around and say that if people want to improve their health they eat a wide variety of nutrient dense foods such as vegetables fruits whole grains and fish. Seems they're contradicting themselves somewhat.

[mednews.wustl.edu]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2007 07:01PM by Dulset.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 24, 2007 08:33PM

that was an interesting article. i have osteopenia and am curious what my bone density tests will show in the future. vegetarians bones are lighter and not as dense and bulky but are very strong. at the end of the article i think they meant that a person would definately benefit themselves eating less processed sugary foods and more fresh produce along with fish. i`m interested to see mocha`s results as well smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: emilym ()
Date: July 24, 2007 10:45PM

Hi Mariposa,

Nuts, according to Dr. Graham should be considered a high fat food.

Have you tried nutridiary.com, or fitday.com. One can enter one's food and get a nutrional breakdown re: fats, carbs, proteins.

Peace,
Robin

Date: July 26, 2007 03:10AM

Robin ~ Thank yo so much ~ I've just come from checking out nutridiary.com. I played around with it a bit, still trying to get the hang of it, I think it will be quite helpful. Next stop, fitday.com.. thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

I lost pounds the first six days and when the scale didnt budge the next six days, I knew something was up. I'm trying to be more conscious of the high fat foods that I seem to LUV.

Date: July 26, 2007 01:06PM

Mariposa...another big difference I've noticed. If I'm eating 100% raw, I can fudge a little on the fats and still lose weight. But the minute I introduce cooked foods into my diet...even "good" ones, the pounds seem to stick, even with a really low fat %. For about 2 weeks I was "cheating" at dinner only, but keeping my % low 10-15% and the scale didn't move. For the last 4 days I've been 100% raw and my fat % has been between 15-30% and I've lost 3 lbs. Granted, I know the optimal percentage according to Dr. Graham is 10% because too much fat, regardless of what kind of fat, isn't good. I just thought it was interesting to note the difference. I'm still striving for the 10% but when I'm craving an avocado, I'm enjoying it!

Date: July 26, 2007 04:43PM

thanks islandgirl.. i think you might be right about the cooked food. Its day 13 and im still clinging to the notion that I wont get enough protein if I don't eat some cooked soy.. its probably a combination of my overeating nuts/seeds and still eating the cooked proteins. tho, it is frustrating.. to be eating so healthy and not to have lost one pound in 8 days! including my two mile power walk around the track in the eve for exercise.

i have a rare day off today, so i spent my morning going to the local farms in search of fresh organic produce. I did pretty well.

Date: July 27, 2007 12:15AM

Are you using fitday ( or something similar) to monitor your nutritional intake? According to much of what I've read, we really need much less protein than what we've been told or what we've become used to. Using fitday has really helped me because I can not only monitor my nutritional intake but I can make parallels between my weight gain/loss in relation to what I'm eating.

Date: July 27, 2007 02:26AM

Tonight I visited the FitDay website and found it verry user friendly. What an eye opener! Forget 80-10-10, I think I am more like 43-33-23 !! No wonder I havent been losing lbs., I'm really getting an education.. wow. Thanks again mentioning the site. Very cool. I even set up a personal journal and made my first entry.

Date: July 27, 2007 01:01PM

Glad that's working for you. Yeah...it really surprised me to find out the info on what I was eating. It really helps me to be accountable and to make informed decisions based on the outcomes I want.

Posted by: Stacie ()
Date: July 27, 2007 03:58PM

I love fitday.com.....it keeps me honest.

Date: July 27, 2007 04:11PM

I finally did get the book and wow was I amazed at how much fat I was eating. And I can't believe I have to eat that much fruit but I am trying. I ate a whole cantaloupe the other night for dinner and my husband looked at me like, "you're going to eat that whole thing" I just gave him a dirty look and said eat your dead food and shut up. Even after I fill up on fruit, I feel like I am missing or craving something. Anybody else have this feeling? Does it go away?

Date: July 27, 2007 04:15PM

If you buy the book (new or used) on Amazon through a seller (marketplace) you can get the book in less than a week.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 27, 2007 05:26PM

I understand about the missing something part, but I make a raw type 'cookie dough' that is really good and you can basically add what you want in it, make it different everytime too.

You could dehydrate it in the oven or a dehydrator..I've not done this yet.

My basic recipe is raw oats, raw sunflower seeds, Medjool dates, shredded coconut, and you can mix in a bit of pure water if needed, a raw sweetner if you like (honey or agave)to suit your taste. I don't add salt, and I don't usually add sweetner anymore. Anyway..you can put in or leave out anything you like.

The other thing is something crunchy besides celery, and I've been wanting to find raw flaxseed crackers but I can't find them at Henrys, Boneys, or Jimbos. I don't want to order online and pay ship and handling. I want to find a local source. I'm in Oceanside, Ca.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 28, 2007 12:02AM

Good Mood Cafe in Huntington Beach sells home made flax seed crackers. They are a little pricey, but very tastey and cruncy. I don't know how far Oceanside is from there, but she also sells via the internet.

Posted by: Kristen's Raw ()
Date: August 02, 2007 08:05AM

I've had a lot of fun reading this post. Keep up the posting please smiling smiley
I know momentum can really help in the beginning of a diet, especially just after you read a book. How are doing with 80/10/10 and sticking with it? How do you handle it socially?

Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne
--
www.KristensRaw.com
www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2007 08:08AM by Kristen's Raw.

Date: August 02, 2007 01:01PM

Hi Kristen...
I haven't posted in a while because I thought there was a loss of interest AND because I haven't done very well with the 80/10/10 thing. The pendulum seems to swing back and forth. If I keep my fat low, I seem to "cheat" more. If I allow myself a little more fat...like 15-20%, I can stay 100% raw longer. Since July 5, the longest I've been 100% raw is 6 days. So I'm vascillating right now as to what to do and decide for me what is more important...100% raw or low fat. I guess since I wasn't being consistent with 80/10/10, I didn't want to post, however I am really inspired by Mocha and others who do it so well and hope that others will continue to post. I'm only 2 months raw so I'm still trying to figure this all out for myself and find out what works for me. Thanks for the encouragement.

Date: August 12, 2007 04:15PM

Mocha, where are you? we've been wondering if you're okay. Just letting you know you are missed!!!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 13, 2007 03:07PM

I think it takes some time to get comfortable with that 10% fat ratio. I also will cheat more if I don't have a higher % of fat for now. But I am striving towards that 10% or close to it.

I've joined the 7 week challange with the thought that I'm going to follow the 8/1/1 program as much as I can.

I get so afraid that I won't be able to sleep at night and wake up so tired and have to do childcare..that I will eat at night which helps me to feel sleepy.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 13, 2007 03:56PM

Prior to going raw I had to take melatonin to sleep for the last 5 years. Since going raw, I haven't taken anything to sleep except Chamomile tea one time. My problem lately ( as you know) has been getting enough energy. But I'm going to try and cut back on the fat again and see if that helps.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables