Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coffee Addiction Need Advice
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:06AM

I have been 100% raw for 3 days!!! I love it!!!! I've been a long-time vegan with out of control eating that is now clearing up because my body is so happy!!!

However, I was drinking 9 cups of coffee a day, and now I am down to 3. I have noticed on a raw diet that it feels so acidic, like it's burning me up. I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with coffee addiction, such as how soon after going raw did you give it up? It seems silly to even ask because my body is shouting " Get that horrible, acidic, sludge outta here, NOW!!!!"

Love,
Danae

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coffee Addiction Need Advice
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 06, 2007 01:33AM

My only advice is to feel fully the effects of the coffee on your body. Pay attention to how it feels when you drink it, and afterwards when you are suffering the consequences of the caffeine. Quitting my coffee addiction was what brought me to raw foods, and the consequence of my consumption were felt for a year and a half at the beginning of my raw journey. The main consequence was that I had a lot of sleep debt to payback, and when payback time came, it sure cost me. But after my final coffee detox/sleep debt payback I felt great.

Date: July 06, 2007 02:14AM

Thank you Bryan for your insight. I had no idea the effects could be felt for a year and a half. I am totally addicted to the ritual, even the English tea, where I could drink a whole pot of black tea and still consume so much coffee. Can you, or anyone offer any replacements?? Thank you so much. My body is really hating coffee today.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 06, 2007 02:57AM

Hi Danae,
I found that water fasting for 2-3 days took away my taste for coffee entirely. Juice fasting for a few days would likely do the same.

You could also try transitioning from coffee to green tea (Yogi green tea chai is yummy) for awhile and then to no caffeine.

Good luck! I was a coffee addict and I did it, so I'm rootin' for you to do it too. ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 06, 2007 03:23AM

Blessings to you Patanjhali!!! I will try fasting since I am so ready for this transformation, and I thank you for your cheers. Yeah, for being HEALTHY!!!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 06, 2007 07:46AM

Hi Danae!

I'm an ex-coca-cola and black coffee addict ;-) Used to drink gallons of the stuff each day.

I weaned myself off of them gradually (think 2 cans of coke and 1 coffee a day instead of 4 cans and 2 cups!), but would occasionally slip up and get tempted. If you haven't done so already, it may be worth removing the stuff from your house, as when you get cravings and/or feel low energy wise, it's all too easy to reach for it!

I've been staying sane by using raw cacao in stuff (I haven't had as much this week as last week, that's a good sign- I don't need 'replacements' as much!). It keeps me off of the cola, coffee and sugar and you don't get any 'pang' for anything else. If you mix a spoon of maca in with raw cacoa in mylk shakes or smoothies, it has kind of a malted taste, which helps, I think.

Good luck with trying to stay caffeine free! If you need an extra incentive, have a look online at how coffee stains your teeth!

Also, as a short term fix, you could try eating/drinking something beforehand that would make drinking coffee afterwards taste awful. Maybe chewing on some mint, or parsley (this is good for cola addicts- try brushing your teeth with a (safe & vegan!) minty toothpaste and taking a sip of coke afterwards. Euwwwwww!).

Congrats on being raw smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 07:47AM by rawnoggin.

Posted by: mjhednrik ()
Date: July 06, 2007 02:50PM

There is a good coffee substitute which i have found to give me a calm energy - unlike the jitters with coffee. Yerba Mate.

The taste is comfortable and the best way to enjoy it is with a bombilla.

Get organic YM if you can find it.

Cheers

MH

Date: July 06, 2007 09:03PM

Rawnoggin: Great Advice!!! So many things to choose. I did give my coffee away only to make a fool of myself and ask for it back. I have just ordered raw cacao nibs and maca powder. I will try the shake/smoothie. You are so right about brushing your teeth and then drinking coffee--YUCK!

Hi: MH
I have seen and heard about YM, but didn't know what it tastes like. I just googled bombilla. I've never heard of stainless steel straws. I'll have to read how they effect the taste.

I love this learning process. Thank you all so much for sharing!!!!

Posted by: nakdash ()
Date: July 06, 2007 09:09PM

Start diluting your coffee. Half coffee, half water.
The first few days when I was raw, I was getting headaches (and I NEVER get headaches!!) I only assumed that it was from coffee withdrawls.

So, I listened to my body and had some caffefine. The headaches went away, but I think the best way to quit an addiction like that is to slowly ease off of it.

Everyone is different, so whatever works best for you!!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: July 07, 2007 01:22AM

I am 16 days raw now and started with a coffee habit and smoking. I usually start the day with that cup of coffee for that pick me up. That is the reason I drank the coffee and aquired a taste for it. Than I added milk to it to make it not so bitter and smooth it down. Hey I live in washington and there is an exxpresso stand at every corner. I realized that the shot of wheat grass had a more sustainable pick me up and eating raw foods supplied my physical needs. I Quit cold turkey and for three days I had a headache and craved a cup of the brew. My partener drinks it and would brew a pot in the morning and I smelled it but resisted. I feel much better now since I stoped drinking coffee. I am now tackleing smoking and thats another story.

Posted by: nakdash ()
Date: July 07, 2007 03:35AM

I may have to try this wheatgrass thing. Are u making it or getting it from the store?

Quitting smoking is so damn difficult. I quit for 5 months and as soon as I became raw, I been picking up the habit again! I wonder if its from the stress of not eating cooked food? I don't know!!

Posted by: venusian ()
Date: July 08, 2007 02:20AM

I was a huge coffee addict and am pretty ok with it unless I get stressed, then I stil crave a big mug so I can calm down : ) crazy! I know!
the thing that finally got me to quit was that I was noticing that I'd drink my coffee, eat somewhat and then have massive hunger later as a result of the caffiene....the swings were becoming very obvious and without the coffee things were much more even and steady....and I feel more in touch with what my body really needs to be eating on a particular day.
I also transitioned with yerba matte with almond milk for a while...that didn't last long though....now I usually just want lemon water.strange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 02:21AM by venusian.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:21PM

you will give coffee up eventually, some things needs time, but you will lose the taste you used to get and the high will turn into depression, and sadness

Posted by: Stacie ()
Date: July 09, 2007 03:15AM

I went on a juice fast and had a headache for three days but by the forth day, it was gone and so was the coffee addiction. Haven't had a cup in 2 weeks.

Date: July 10, 2007 03:32AM

...i find that a pedicure usually does the trick. i mean...really...if you can't pamper yourself what's the point in living!!!!

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 13, 2007 10:36PM

There's a product called teeccino that's made from fruits, nuts, seeds herbs, etc. You might want to try that for when you have a major craving for coffee. You can find it at most health food stores or order by the case from Amazon.

You'll find that once you're off the coffee - you actually have LOTS more energy - and it's steady, even energy that just keeps on keepin' on. Good luck with that!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 13, 2007 11:28PM

i had a major coffee habit. i used to drink 1 pot per day by myself. one day i just quit. cold turkey and there was no turning back for a long time. every then and again i`d try to enjoy a cup but it tasted gross.i had an on off cup every now and then but nothing even remotely like my previous addiction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables