Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What do people think of Shazzie?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 21, 2007 03:40PM

i guess her 3 hours of sleep caught up to her

quoted from her site on her january 2007 log

A personal thank you
My soul sister Jatinder came to look after me for the best part of January. I didn't realise how exhausted I was til she was here and I slept in til about 11am most mornings while she hung out with Evie. I guess most people would be exhausted after 2.5 years of no sleep, even if they are a superbeing! So thank you, beautiful lady. Love to you always.

Love to all of you

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 21, 2007 03:46PM

I forgot to say that she says not to "bitch" at people and send them "love" but that`s what she does most of the time anyway-bitch about those that may not do everything she preaches. I read somewhere on her poem where she says about other people ( those that are destroying the world or something) "Stop that boring job. Stop bitching about other people, stop shouting at each other and stop doing what your makes your heart heavy. Start loving, now"
and somewhere else " you are nothing"
An us versus them attitude does absolutely nothing good for the world.
And if only life were as easy as doing what Shazzie proclaims and eating raw chocolate. It`s an insult to mankind to put down the immense sufferings that most people go through in life. Most people do the very best they can in life. It doesn`t help to put them down.
I don`t think this is the right attitude to adopt in life. And she uses quotes from Eastern traditions, eg those of Buddha. I don`t think you`ll see the Dalai Lama going " look at me, look how I am" her complete obsession with herself. I suppose that`s the difference between authentic spirituality and fake "feel good" spirituality.

It`s too bad though, I did like her a lot before. Thankfully this forum and the raw food community is filled to the brim with wonderful, humble, spiritually evolved people that truly help this world.

p.s is it " natural" to sleep 3 hours a day? Don`t animals sleep a lot? I use this logic because it`s one shazzie uses all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2007 03:49PM by vegangoddess.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 21, 2007 03:49PM

I can clearly "hear" David Wolfe in everything she says. She even quotes him in the youtube videos on Superfoods as "a wise man".

Yeah, being a "superhuman" is probably exhausting, I would think. I have a hard enough time maintaining simply human.

But I like and admire them both, David Wolfe and Shazzie, and I understand them. Clearly most humans aren't living up to their potential, and who knows just how high and far that potential reaches. They are both dreamers, and I greatly admire dreamers.

khale

Date: July 21, 2007 04:02PM

i admire them (wolfe, shazzie, elissa etc*) to a point as well

i just cant help but wonder what theyre gonna be saying though when theyre adrenal glands blow up winking smiley

lol

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 22, 2007 11:00AM

In Shazzie's defense, her stuff does seem expensive, but hey, in the UK everything is expensive!! A galia melon costs $4 sometimes from a supermarket, let alone any superfoods. Tesco were selling a packet of goji berries for the equivelent of $16!!

Also, a large bar of quality non-raw dark chocolate will cost just under $4 at least, nevermind a raw chocolate bar that has all that extra work put into it.

I've never heard her say anything anti-vegan. Unhealthy non-raw vegans do exist (and I was one of them!). Can anyone quote the line where she exactly states that normal veganism is unhealthy, because I thought she said that non-raw veganism was unhealthy, but for her personally, not in general.

Besides, truly putting down veganism is by promoting meat-eating and dairy, which she doesn't do, AFAIK.

If Shazzie was all about expensive superfoods, I don't think she'd be telling you about sprouts and dandelions and free superfoods in her videos.

Just my 2 pennies smiling smiley

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 22, 2007 12:25PM

rawnoggin,

You make a good point, that her stuff isn't really so overpriced, it's the exchange rate that makes it seem so.

Date: July 22, 2007 01:23PM

on another note ive been watching to see whats going on with her HEART center which i think is an admirable feat if she pulls it off smiling smiley [www.theheartcentre.org.uk]

Date: July 22, 2007 03:23PM

I didn`t find her stuff more expensive than others but then I haven`t really looked around. I can hardly buy from the U.K because everything seems so expensive!

Posted by: SPARKLE ()
Date: July 23, 2007 10:22PM

I do think that Shazzie is inspirational - she has inspired me to some extent. I was only able to be inspired by her, however, once I learnt much more about the raw diet and formed my own ideas of what's good/bad i.e. was able to filter her good bits out, and leave the bad advice behind. Before that, I found her extremely off-putting - she is the reason that I doubted raw for a long time.

This is because she constantly belittles those who are non-raw - for example being really nasty about other people's appearance. I find this extremely venomous- and very unhelpful.

I also think her nutritional stance is flawed e.g. over-consumption of powders and cacao, while denying the value of indigenous foods.

She also makes strange comments based on an almost child-like understanding of the world - things like "why can't we just stop fighting, and love each other". Such comments lead me to question her intellect - and this is an important point - because if someone cannot be trusted to sift through all information and make sound and logical judgements on issues, then how can they be trusted to advise the rest of us on what we should be doing?

Likewise, her baby-babble is very annoying.

Also, as others have mentioned, the extreme conceit and egotism of the woman is unbelievable!

Anyway, I feel terrible for saying these things, because I know that many people worship the woman, and those who have met her say she is wonderful. Still, it's good to vent sometimes...I'm probably just being a bitch, may God forgive me...

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 23, 2007 10:57PM

Hey Sparkle,
We all have to vent once in awhile! ;-p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: July 24, 2007 06:44PM

I think when people take drugs like caca (sic) their personalities change.

Posted by: arora ()
Date: July 25, 2007 01:24PM

shazzie? oh boy where do I start! I live in the uk and I can tell you that her products are DISGUSTINLY EXPENSIVE!!! Also i find watching her a 'cringe' experience. She doesnt quite have the proffesinal charisma of wolfe, infact she doesnt seem to have any self restraint. I also find the fact that she thinks shes an author both amusing and embaressing. I really do like and admire angela stokes who has a much more naturalness about about her and she is also unpretentious - the opposite of shazzie. I noted on shazzies myspace page that she only responds to people who leave 'suck up' messages (oh shazzie your so fab i love you) other wise she ignores. Shes just a self obssessed yuppified psuedo - hippy.

Give me angie any day instead

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2007 10:31PM

What about that duriasm video she made? Her other videos I found to be valuable and do like her sprightly books, but this is overtly sexual and unnecessary even if it is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek (or should that be tongue-in-durian?). She comes across as rather ego-based these days.

Shame!

Date: July 29, 2007 01:12AM

haha - I know, that is trully awful! I really dont get the women. I think maybe all that maca n stuff has made her loopy!

I dont understand why she did that video and it really is overtly sexual.

Im baffled. I can just see david wolfe making a video like that - hahahaha!

get a grip shazzie n keep your clothes on PLEASE!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 29, 2007 01:19AM

She sure is a messy eater ;-)

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 29, 2007 01:25AM

I'll just betcha.

Date: July 29, 2007 03:36AM

the video made me laugh so much. She`s trying so hard, to be what exactly?

Date: July 29, 2007 12:42PM

vegangoddess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the video made me laugh so much. She`s trying so
> hard, to be what exactly?

beats me. some sort of raw sex symbol??? hmmmmm.....? I think she's just really getting (as someone said earlier) the screaming 'LOOK AT ME'S!!!!'

i think that people who are well known in the raw world have a responsibilty to not get an ego the size of (whatever) just because they are well known.

Also her advice is way off beam sometimes. The first time I bought some macca I wasnt sure how much to take, so I had a look on her web site and she's saying 'take 8 spoonfulls of macca a day!'. So I mad a smoothie and put 2 spoonfulls in and I felt really weird infact I felt 'drugged' and I ended up having a panic attack. A couple of months later my freind told me david wolfe warns against taking too much macca because it has hallucinijenic properties!!!!

So I think her advice is more than a bit irresponsible.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: July 30, 2007 02:10PM

This is just my opinion and others may feel differently but.....

It just comes back to not listening to what everyone else thinks all the time, 8 spoonfulls of macca might make some people feel great. It's about finding what is best for you and not just being sheep and following everyone else to the letter.

So what if Shazzie has a case of the "look at me's"? It doesn't offend me.

Also, too much of anything is a bad thing, if I sat here and eat 10 pineapples right now it certainly wouldn't be very good for me.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:10PM

Is Shazzie is pushing expensive, concentrated "superfoods" that may not be much healthier overall than the stimulating foods ubiquitous in Standard Western diets? Some of us may wonder if this isn't misled, since they might not be good for most people. This deviates from the ideal of finding the best raw food locally.

BUT.....I have been trying some of the superfoods and found they completely take away my cooked food cravings, so I'm happy to know about them and use them, though I still want to end up eating simple, local, unconcentrated foods.

For some reason I can't use Youtube for the past two weeks so I can't see the cheeky durian video, but I don't care if she enjoys doing silly things - people with diverse personalities and strong intellects are often criticized by those with simpler personalities or those who have repressed their own self-expression, which may or may not be the case here.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 30, 2007 04:57PM

aquadecoco Wrote:
> Is Shazzie is pushing expensive, concentrated
> "superfoods" that may not be much healthier
> overall than the stimulating foods ubiquitous in
> Standard Western diets? Some of us may wonder if
> this isn't misled, since they might not be good
> for most people. This deviates from the ideal of
> finding the best raw food locally.
>
> BUT.....I have been trying some of the superfoods
> and found they completely take away my cooked food
> cravings, so I'm happy to know about them and use
> them, though I still want to end up eating simple,
> local, unconcentrated foods.
>

that's because they ARE not any different from cooked foods, in some of the key effects they have on the body, and therefore in the properties that they have.

in other words, Raw does not imply Good.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: July 30, 2007 06:14PM

You're right, Fresh, but they don't affect me nearly as badly as cooked.

Thanks for your input, it always helps to hear the truth.

Date: July 30, 2007 06:23PM

jadedshade Wrote:
> This is just my opinion and others may feel
> differently but.....
>
> It just comes back to not listening to what
> everyone else thinks all the time, 8 spoonfulls of
> macca might make some people feel great. It's
> about finding what is best for you and not just
> being sheep and following everyone else to the
> letter.
>
> So what if Shazzie has a case of the "look at
> me's"? It doesn't offend me.
>
> Also, too much of anything is a bad thing, if I
> sat here and eat 10 pineapples right now it
> certainly wouldn't be very good for me.

no ones offended. Just seems a bit of a shame really - and innapropriate. I mean shes a rawfood guru - not madonna.

one of the other things that I kind of though was a bit crappy is that she is now selling stuff by someone in the uk who is totally mainstream 'gillian mckeith'.
And its like her saying 'Im selling this stuff because it makes me money'.
gillian mckeith for those who are not familiar, is an annoying little rich woman who goes on tv and tells overweight people how overweight they are and well....sure you get the drift......

Date: July 30, 2007 09:57PM

she said when interviewed some time ago- forget carrots, they`re boring, I eat raw chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner" That did it for me, really...

She also said that nutritionists claim that watercress, pumpkin seeds and blueberries are superfoods but not according to her. It`s all about the maca, chocolate etc..

And I know she encourages people to use greens from their garden-if they really do not have money to buy her expensive superfoods. Why not just use fruits, vegetables and free superfoods? And she says doesn`t believe in Science but in the next sentence she says something about superfoods changing your completely and she says "this is scientific now"

I am happy that she is doing so well-business wise but I don`t think she makes much sense to me anymore.

Posted by: nowheyjose ()
Date: July 31, 2007 05:12AM

Well I agree with the notion that shes doing more good than bad. I think shes interesting to watch. She has a great confidence in what she talks about and theres nothing wrong with that. I think shes only talking about what has worked for her and what shes knows, again, there's nothing wrong with that. If I was a 38 year old female and still looked like that I'd be full of myself too... lol.
As far as her prices go, we all have the option not to buy them, and if you cant afford them, then that just might not be your road to raw. I don't think I can afford them at least not right now. So I'll keep my eye open for the free ones or cheaper ones.

"we live in a cycle of pain and addiction, andlose the motivation to change the condition"

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: July 31, 2007 10:04AM

arora Wrote:

> no ones offended. Just seems a bit of a shame
> really - and innapropriate. I mean shes a rawfood
> guru - not madonna.
>
> one of the other things that I kind of though was
> a bit crappy is that she is now selling stuff by
> someone in the uk who is totally mainstream
> 'gillian mckeith'.
> And its like her saying 'Im selling this stuff
> because it makes me money'.
> gillian mckeith for those who are not familiar, is
> an annoying little rich woman who goes on tv and
> tells overweight people how overweight they are
> and well....sure you get the drift......

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I am sure that her primary objective is to make money, even if she doesn't believe it herself. I am just saying that theses "Guru's" helpfully as they can be don't necessarilly have all the answers and people should think for themselves, guidance is one thing but I think idolisation is bad.

Yes the superfoods on Shazzie's site are expensive but look at other sites, I haven't really seen them much cheaper. Looking around at the prices and then looking at these superfood recipes you would need upwards of £100 just to make a couple of cakes or whatever. I like my Raw Berry Pie it costs me about £7 to make.

I actually think Gillian Mckeith is quite funny and her show also brings good awareness to people about dangerous ingredients in foods, and makes people assess the quality of their food etc, thats a good thing.

Also, a lot of her products are raw as she is a big supporter of raw and living foods so why wouldn't Shazzie sell them?

-

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Date: July 31, 2007 11:03AM

gillian mckieth is in my opinion totally mainstream and commercial and out to make money - thats whay she shouldnt sell them!!

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 31, 2007 11:23AM

I don't understand what your objection is arora. Surely it is a good thing if mainstream people support and sell raw products. Wouldn't it be a good thing if raw became mainstream?

Francis

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: July 31, 2007 12:29PM

jadedshade Wrote:
> I actually think Gillian Mckeith is quite funny
> and her show also brings good awareness to people
> about dangerous ingredients in foods, and makes
> people assess the quality of their food etc, thats
> a good thing.

Totally agree. A lot of people say some pretty mean things about Gillian McKeith, and although I don't 100% agree with what she tells people (being a vegan and all that!), I do agree with her encouraging people to eat more healthily. She's introduced UK audiences to sprouting, to hemp seeds and other goodies! I'd much rather watch an hour of her talking about health foods than watch an hour of some horrible TV chef rattling on about the benefits of greens whilst cooking them with large amounts of cream, butter and meat.

Shazzie and Gillian McKeith might not be perfect, but they are helping the raw food movement. I seldom ever see bad words said about David Wolfe, who is like the moneytrain of raw food- paying £25 for a stash of cocoa butter off of Shazzie seems a lot fairer compared to paying $29 per month for some online videos off of David Wolfe.

As time goes on, we'll get a larger range of raw 'celebs' to represent us better. In the meanwhile, we should be sort of grateful for the ones we do have. smiling smiley

Date: July 31, 2007 12:59PM

Frannie Wrote:
> I don't understand what your objection is arora.
> Surely it is a good thing if mainstream people
> support and sell raw products. Wouldn't it be a
> good thing if raw became mainstream?
>
> Francis

please...raw will NEVER be mainsteam

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables