Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Joy of Soy???
Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: August 16, 2007 08:22PM

I have been reading so much more about the harmful effects of soy, and was wondering what people here think about it? I have always used unsweetened soy milk, or occasionally soy cheese, and I also like to use Amy's brand veggie burgers (some of which contain soy). I am not 100% raw, so I do use other vegan products, most of which are usually soy based. I have tried Almond milk and Hazelnut milk, and to be honest, I am not crazy about the taste. How do you all feel about rice milk? what do you know about it? How bad IS soy?? I don't know what to think anymore...it seems like everything is "bad"..... sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Joy of Soy???
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: August 16, 2007 08:32PM

soy is a major part of diet in okinawa. okinawa has more centarians than anywhere else in the world. i am sure this is for reasons other than diet. but, soy can not be that bad if these people are living to be over 100 years old.

however, i found lots of other research that says soy is really bad.

so, i too do not know what to believe.

Based on my own research and educational background, i have a bachelors in both nutrition and community health, i still can not come to a conclusion! lol!

i think it greatly depends on the source of the soy.

for example, raw soy beans/pods, or miso or tempeh i think are very good sources.

however, the soy that is found in things like veggie burgers and soy milk are not good.

Date: August 16, 2007 08:55PM

SO when it comes to soy, the best approach to take is the "whole food" one...ie, soy pods vs processed soy (milk, etc)? Like eating whole fruit or whole grain instead of the bastardized, refined versions of them? It makes sense. What do you think of rice milk?

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: August 16, 2007 09:01PM

hhmm. rice milk. i really have no experience or education on this. except that i know it is better for you than any sort of animal's milk.

and yes, "whole food" approach is always the way to go!

winking smiley)

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: August 16, 2007 09:10PM

Try making your own nut or seed milks, then they will be raw too. I have hemp seed milk daily. Try making coconut, sesame or almond milk.

Just put the (soaked and drained) nut or seed in a blender with water and blend, then strain (through a nut milk bag, cheesecloth, muslin bag, teatowel, etc)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 16, 2007 11:36PM

yeah...these words should NOT go together in the same sentence ever. Soy only works as a transitional food for vegans and veg heads, yet it is seen as a perfectly acceptible 'food' to most because they have never freed themselves of their addictions to these foods (burgers, milk) etc...and of course all the inaccurate propaganda about the lack of protein in such diets an of the healthful benefits of soy and legumes period. of course people carry these addictions to raw foods, but these do not have the harmful effects of soy, and while they will have significantly more fat....if one removes all the processed stuff from their diet completely (without cheating) they should experience greater health.

Always best to choose grains over soy and any processed stuff, to use starchy tubers and cooked starchy greens/crucivors in lieu of grains, and raw foods in proper combinations instead of cooked vegetables.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 11:37PM by anaken.

Posted by: knownalien ()
Date: August 17, 2007 01:18AM

as some have said, I believe that anything can be made to test poorly in labs. I am quite certain that processed soy is not as good for you as you once suspected. The evidence against soy has to do with what appears to be a toxin which can hamper brain development. I am sure there are chemicals even in many raw foods which, isolated, can do the same. Consider garlic. It can pass through the blood brain barrier and some consider it lethal to brain cells. Ever wonder why you wreak of it right away as opposed to eating a piece of celery or a carrot? But that doesn't matter to me, i still eat garlic. I love it. But soy is overrated and it is hard to get that after taste out of your mouth. If it's the protein in it you wish to get, I believe there are better RAW alternatives.

Posted by: Shubby ()
Date: August 17, 2007 04:44PM

I am still in the "transition" mode and soy products were a life saver. If nothng else they got me off that nasty meat!!

One night I was lying in bed and not feeling very good. I went over what I ate that day. I had some soy protein isolate in my smoothie. A veggie (soy protein) burger for lunch, and veggie and tofu mix for dinner and then some soya milk at night!!

I thought hmmm this is not good. I did a little research and found studies for and against soy. the biggest argument is that in Asia as was mentioned here already they are eating small amounts of tempeh and miso, not tofu dogs , burgers, fake meat, peperoni etc etc.

As I incorporate more raw foods into my diet I have eliminated soya milk (now I make my own almond milk..it is better, heartier and cheaper), I have switched my smoothie powder to raw hempseeds, I have stopped buying all those fake burgers etc. I still ocassionally eat a little organic tofu or tempeh (for now).

Anyway that is my 2 cents.

Date: August 20, 2007 12:06AM

Thank you all for your input....I appreciate it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables