Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega 3
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: September 13, 2007 01:24PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading about the importance of Omega 3 fatty acids and DHA/EPA. I'm trying to get pregnant so I want to make sure I'm getting enough of what I need. Is there an established daily recommended intake of Omega 3's? Also, what do people eat for DHA/EPA? I'm new to this subject so any help would be appreciated.

Lotusblossom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omega 3
Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: September 13, 2007 03:28PM

Although you'll encounter many people who have made a hobby out of knowing which foods contain which nutrients, it is not important to have this information nor to make sure you "get enough" of any particular nutrient. All that is necessary is to stop eating the foods that create disease (i.e., the conventional western diet) and replace them with foods that come directly from nature and which appeal to your senses.

Happy transitioning,
Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:36PM

Thank you Nora for your advice.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:46PM

Walnuts & Flaxseeds both have an excellent Omega-3 balance. Either can be conveniently added to most things you eat.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: September 13, 2007 10:12PM

u can get veggitarian dha from udos oils

Posted by: m ()
Date: September 13, 2007 10:12PM

i guess i'm one of those people that have made a hobby out of knowing what foods have nutrients....since i'm a registered dietitian. smiling smiley

yes, i agree with Nora about abandoning the modern cooked/junk food laden human diet. in my humble opinion, the longer that you've been on a "cleaner" diet (high raw fruits, vegetables, minimal raw fats/proteins), the better you will be able to assimilate the nutrients your body needs. sometimes it takes awhile to clean out it's cells before it can absorb the nutrients it needs.

if you have not been raw for that long...you might want to focus on certain foods just to make sure your child's brain developes properly (EPA/DHA) and that your baby doesn't suffer from neural tube defects (which has been noted to be caused by folic acid deficiency).

Here are some foods that comes to my mind:

Omega-3's are the precursors to DHA/EPA. You can only get DHA/EPA in animal foods. But you can eat plant foods that convert to DHA/EPA in the body:

1) Purslane (a YUMMY green and my favorite way to get Omega-3!)...easy to grow!
2) Walnuts
3) Flaxseeds
4) Brazil Nuts

Folic Acid is found in:

1)Asparagus
2)Leafy Greens
3)Sunflower Seeds
4)Oranges
5)Strawberries
6)Canteloupes/Melons

i hope this helps!

much love,
*m*

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 14, 2007 02:32AM

Omega-3 is only important when it becomes out of balance with omega-6. For most folk, they would rather supplement with omega-3 to get the correct balance, but a healthier approach would be to reduce omega-6 in your diet until the two essential fatty acids come into balance.

On a raw vegan diet of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits without overt fats, the essential fatty acids are in balance and no supplementation is necessary.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: September 14, 2007 09:04PM

Oh cool, I can talk about my company's plant! Seabuckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) contains Omegas 3, 6, 7 and 9, with 3 and 6 in the coveted 1:1 ratio. Most people in the western world consume 3 and 6 in a 1:50 ratio, which, per Bryan, is not ideal. However, seabuckthorn is a superfruit, not considered ideal by raw food purists. Seabuckthorn is in the top 5 plant-based sources of Omega 3 by volume, and is the only one with the 1:1 ratio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables