Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What can I replace crackers with?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2007 02:55PM

I am looking to stop eating crackers, but I need something I can eat with the copious amounts of steamed vegies I eat...they arent too great by themselves. Anyone know what I can replace them with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What can I replace crackers with?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 14, 2007 03:42PM

Ok so crackers are made of refined ingredients and often contain sugar and chemical preservatives, plus they're baked and baking carbs at higher temperatures causes the formation of toxic acrylamide... so you want something that solves those problems.

You want complex, unrefined carbohydrates with no added sugars... how about cooking some ancient grains to complement your steamed veggies? Spelt, quinoa, amaranth, etc.... sprouting them of course is the most ideal; however, even cooked grains are a big improvement over crackers. If you just really want that light crunchiness of crackers, you could try some raw crackers (which are dehydrated, not baked).

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 14, 2007 04:06PM

You can make your own delicious raw crackers easily and cheaply out of flax seeds, veggies, garlic, spices, and other flavorings. You do need a dehydrator. Funnily enough, I usually make my crackers when I'm fasting. For some reason I feel like doing it then.

The simplest cracker is from plain soaked flax seeds with a little salt. Soak some flax seeds for a few hours until they absorb most/all of the water, put them in the cuisinart with salt and any flavorings you want, blend it all up, and spread it out on the dehydrator sheets to dry at 110 degrees until the top is dry enough to flip. Then flip and continue in the dehydrator until crisp.

The flax seeds stay whole in the cuisinart but you need to process them to circulate the spices and salt. Soaking makes flax slimy and that sliminess binds the cracker together. You can also grind the flax before you add water for a different texture. Adding veggies, garlic, onion, etc. provides wonderful variety.

You can spread the crackers with avocado or raw seed cheese, or just eat them plain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 04:07PM by greenie.

Date: September 14, 2007 06:57PM

Thanks so much, your very quick. I have no clue about dehydrators, will have to check them out... though I'm low on moneysad smiley

Any tips on what to look for in a dehydrator, or a good type to get?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 14, 2007 11:49PM

not sure why you would choose the name cookedham on a vegan site.. im a bit confused lol*boggle*

nonetheless .. get a dehydrator if ;you can with a timer so yer not a slave to unplugging it plugging it all the time... and as many shelves as you can afford or search the internet for home made jobs that you can plug into a wall timer winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 15, 2007 04:54PM

i'm with sunshine...I would go one notch forward and start doing whole non-gluten grains you prepare yourself...a very conscious step forward...trying to eventually nix the crackers/breads entirely without backtracking.

DavidZaneMason had a good post recently on making your own dehydrator system without equipment...personally I think a good route is to get very comfortable with leaving everything out except the steam veggies/non-gluten grains...then remvoing the grains and hanging with the denser cooked tubers for awhile before doing 100% fresh stuff...

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 17, 2007 12:59AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not sure why you would choose the name cookedham
> on a vegan site.

cooked = over, done, done in, kaput, finished, washed up

ham = always trying to get an audience for some dramatic presentation

Here are some probabilities:

His family gave him the nickname 'Ham' when he was little because he loved to perform for them. They maybe embellished it by adding 'cooked', just to emphasize how hammy he was.

Maybe he knows his cooked food days are 'cooked' or that his carnivorous days are over, therefore, 'cooked'.

Maybe his initials are H.A.M.....Henry Andrew Molson,,...Herbert Allan Matthew.... Hayden Anthony Martin.....or maybe something less waspy.....

Maybe he is a reflexive rebel - can't go with the flow, has to buck the system, stand out, non-conform, go right when the crowd goes left, clap at the wrong time, ...

Hmmmm..... quite a conspicuous handle.....

Date: September 17, 2007 01:37AM

pppfffttt!! *laughing*

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 17, 2007 01:48AM

i like aquadecoco's thesis

BRILLIANT!

Date: September 17, 2007 01:58AM

me too smiling smiley bravo !!

Date: September 19, 2007 04:19PM

Your all wrong, it's a clever acronym:

C.O.O.K.E.D.H.A.M.
Cooking Often Outright Kills Each Dearest Haemoglobin Astonishingly...Moo

Date: September 19, 2007 04:37PM

very nice lol smiling smiley good one smiling smiley

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: September 19, 2007 05:45PM

CookedHam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking to stop eating crackers, but I need
> something I can eat with the copious amounts of
> steamed vegies I eat...they arent too great by
> themselves. Anyone know what I can replace them
> with?

I wonder if the crackers taste so wonderful with your steamed veggies because the veggies are missing that lovely raw "crunch" and the crackers make up for it.....

Just something to think about,

Sapphire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables