Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blood test results after 7 mos raw.
Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: October 16, 2007 05:17AM

I honestly don't care about blood tests, but I did happen to take one a couple of months ago for insurance purposes, and thought some of you guys might be interested to see the results. I've been doing high fruit/low fat raw (a la 80/10/10) and this test was taken at the 7 month point.

I will post the item analyzed, then my results and whether or not they were in the normal or abnormal category, followed by the usual clinical range. If you need more information about each item tested, just google it.

Glucose - 61, normal. (60 - 125)
(Hmm, you'd think that a person eating sooooo much sweet fruit would have abnormally high blood glucose!) smiling smiley

Fructosamine - 1.8, normal. (.5 - 2.0)

Blood Urea Nitrogen - 6, abnormal. (7 - 22)

Creatinine - 0.9, normal. (0.6 - 1.3)

**Alkaline Phosphatase - 60, normal. (30 - 125)

Bilirubin Total - 0.4, normal. (0.2 - 1.2)

**AST (SGOT) - 20, normal. (0 - 33)

**ALT (SGPT) - 17, normal. (0 - 45)

**GGT (GGTP) - 11, normal. (0 - 45)

Total Protein - 7.3, normal. (6.1 - 8.2)
(Gasp...a raw foodist with normal protein levels? Where AM I getting all that protein from?) smiling smiley

Albumin - 4.1, normal. (3.6 - 5.5)

Cholesterol - 138 L, abnormal. (140 - 199)
(Oh no!!! I have low cholesterol! Must. Eat. More. Steak.) Hehehe

Triglycerides - 124, normal. (0 - 150)

**Starred items are protein enzymes - high levels indicate a number of diseases.
---------------------------

I also did a Urinalysis that day.
I tested negative for glucose, leukocytes and hemoglobins. My protein levels were 7, normal range is 0-30. All results were within normal limits (and good news, I'm not a drug abuser.)

Also, my BMI was 19.7, blood pressure was 100/60 and resting pulse rate was 52.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blood test results after 7 mos raw.
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 16, 2007 05:50AM

Nice of you to post those sparkler - such a great confirmation to your health and to your diet.

yes, the protein one was especially interesting!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 16, 2007 06:08AM

thanks for posting that it is interesting about your protien. You sound healthy.

Posted by: shane ()
Date: October 16, 2007 12:42PM

Did you happen to get vitamin d and b-12 tested?

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: October 16, 2007 06:53PM

Hemoglobin couldn't be negative--hemoglobin carries oxygen in the blood and makes it red. Anemic would be under 9 or 10 and above 11.8 is considered good. You would die long before it got to zero. Do you happen to know what it was?

Congratulations, though! I was surprised about your cholesterol being considered "abnormal". Mine is even lower; it shows how low their standards are for good health!

Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: October 16, 2007 07:18PM

Total protein is a different test than Hemoglobin which is also usually tested with hematocrit. Total blood protein or serum protein has a nationally accepted ratio of 6.4-8.3g/dl for the adult person. Serum hemoglobin and hematocrit are not even mentioned in her post but their acceptable range would be: hgb = 12-16g/dl for females and 14-18g/dl for males and hct = 37-47% for females and 42-52% for males. She stated that she has a negative urinalysis.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 16, 2007 07:30PM

Hmmm, doesn't look right at all. *raises an eyebrow*

I won't be reading this thread again.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 16, 2007 08:31PM

Interesting!

Date: October 16, 2007 09:37PM

No I didn't get tested for Vit B12 and D. This wasn't a complete test, like I said it was whatever the insurance co. wanted to test for. I'm not interested in blood tests, usually.

I have no idea how to analyze the urinalyis, I'm just typing out what I see on the paper. It says Hemoglobin screen and leukocyte screen - both are negative and they do not offer a normal range. These two are under a heading called, "Diuretic agents". They also tested for nicotine and cocaine in the urine test and they were all negative. Perhaps they were testing for a drug in the diuretic section and I am just not understanding it correctly?

Also, I have no earthly idea what Rawrrr is upset about...what doesn't look right...can someone explain?

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 16, 2007 11:29PM

I'm truly sorry, Sarah! I wasn't upset, just it wasn't the entire test results, so I wondered about what was missing. You were a good girl tho, and fasted, glucose 61 smiling smiley. Your blood sugar, during a non fasting day, would not be that low, if you were eating high fruit, unless you hadn't eaten in a while and had hypoglycemia, like I have. Having a BS test, an hour after eating high fruit, would be intresting to know.

Thanks for encouraging us. I love to see these kinds of posts. At the same time, anyone could write anything. There is just a lot missing, so maybe they did not do indepth testing. I had not considered that additonal testing costs your company money, so maybe that's why.

Date: October 16, 2007 11:48PM

Okay this test was taken in August. August 9th to be exact. So I honestly cannot remember if I ate before I tested or not. However, I do regularly eat breakfast, and was not trying to control the results of this test. I knew I was generally in good health and would pass whatever the insurance company was testing for, because I have never had any serious disease before.

As I remember, the test was in the mid morning because we went home and had lunch afterwards. So I'm thinking I would normally have eaten something a few hrs beforehand. And I only ever eat fruit in the morning. But who knows, I might have skipped breakfast that morning - if I did though, it wasn't because I was trying to skew the results of this test.

And yes, I knew this wasn't a comprehensive test. We were signing up for life insurance and this is just what that company decided to test for. It is not something I signed up and paid for because I needed the results for whatever reason. As far as what I disclosed, I typed out every single thing they tested for, except on the urinalysis part, I did not originally state that they tested for certain drugs, because it did not seem relevant here, I'm drug free. Oh also, they did test for HIV and I'm not positive for that. The test is titled, "Flex Blood Chemistry Results" if anybody here knows what that means - like maybe it's a specific group of tests...?

I guess it's difficult to tell over the internet if someone is telling the truth or not. I guess I don't really care smiling smiley I was posting this because I remember being concerned about whether raw was a sustainable lifestyle, when I first discovered it. Take what you want from it and leave the rest...I have nothing to prove to anyone. I was just trying to be helpful.

Thanks for explaining why you were offended! I was truly confused.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2007 11:59PM by Sparkler.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 17, 2007 01:01AM

can you clear out your private message inbox, sarah, so i can send to you?

Date: October 17, 2007 01:17AM

Inboxed cleared, Fresh. Thanks smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 17, 2007 01:42AM

i've been following this thread with genuine interest sarah. interesting, but not surprising results.

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 17, 2007 01:59AM

Thanks to posting your results. I think I save it just to show it to people with doubts about protein and such on raw diet.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:36PM

I just threw out my results that I had the other day, maybe I ask my doc's office to reprint them so I can compare smiling smiley I also did not fast before my last test, I still have a low bloodsugar problem so I refuse not to eat.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:46PM

Thanks for sharing, Sparkler!

My latest blood test was only of my A1c number and it was the best I have ever had, after 3 months raw, but still not normal. It was 7.2, but they want it less than 7. Maybe next time it will be...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables