Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dates
Posted by: daisyduke ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:27PM

I just love dates. I buy fresh organic dates at whole foods. They are not dried. They are very moist and chewy. Why are dates not considered a perfect food on 811? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dates
Posted by: badawie ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:52PM

Dates are in the 8/1/1. Just not eaten as a meal on their own.

Date: October 25, 2007 04:10PM

Why not a meal on their own?

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: October 25, 2007 07:42PM

I think because they are very very high in sugar/calories, and they are not a significant source of any major vitamin mineral group..

[www.nutritiondata.com]

I do know that dr d has recipies that include dates, and they are in a couple of meals in the 8/1/1 book that I have, but in a maximum of 4oz per meal.

You can ask this question at

www.vegsource.com/talk/raw

I would eat a handful of dates before exercising or maybe to make up calories if I didn't eat enough that day. From my understanding, and I am new to the diet, they are not considered an optimal food.

If you compare the nutritional value of a papaya, pineapple, kiwi, strawberry to dates, I think you may find that a pound of dates vs the others is not such a great nutritional choice.

I could be wrong..that's what my research and the book I have tell me. Maybe someone here who's been on the diet longer could elaborate..

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: October 26, 2007 01:56AM

Unfortunately, the dates in the whole foods bulk section are likely to be moist and shiny not because they are non-dried, but because they have been steamed. The veganic, truly raw, fresh dates from the date people, however, are just coming into season, and are cheaper than whole foods: [www.datepeople.net] .

As a food, good quality dates are fine on their own, or wrapped in greens (stuffing them with a little spearmint leaf is the best), especially during the winter when they are in season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 02:00AM by dream earth.

Date: October 29, 2007 06:03PM

I confirmed that these organic dates are not steamed. They are picked fresh and sent to Whole Foods.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: October 29, 2007 07:14PM

dates are not considered optimal because they are dried....not fresh....sugar is quite concentrated and absorbed slower by body.... thereby making them easy to overeat....

Posted by: Devric ()
Date: October 30, 2007 12:49AM

Anyone know of a good place to buy bulk organic medjools online? Thanks.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: October 30, 2007 04:16AM

Check out this website [www.dateland.com] their dates are not advertised as organic, but there is an interesting pictorial on how dates are grown in the U.S.
Here's another medjool grower [oasisdategardens.com]
The Date People [www.datepeople.net] link is for a PDF file. No online ordering, but on the last page you will find their phone number. Medjools have just become available along with many other wonderful varieties of dates that you may never see in markets.

Meinleben, not all dates are dried, we are referring to fresh dates shipped from grower to consumer. Sometimes they are so wet they pack them in little baskets to prevent crushing, but as they dry out some they can ship them in bulk 15 pound boxes, which is likely what daisyduke found at Whole Foods. The Date People sell some early season harvested dates still on the stem so that you can enjoy the final ripening. I hang mine up in the kitchen so I can enjoy them when they turn from yellow to a translucent dark golden orgasmic burst in your mouth.

The sugar in most date varieties is in inverted form of glucose and fructose which is quickly absorbed without the digestive process other sugars need. That's why I like to eat lettuce or cucumber with my dates; I want the absorption to slow down so I don't get the sugar too quickly. Of course, if you want to raise the blood sugar level quickly eat them alone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables