Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Depressed
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: November 19, 2007 06:59PM

I love to dissipate my thought based self and come back to the essential me when I get caught up in the thinking-thinking-thinking treadmill. This really helps alter perception and see everything much more clearly.

I find Jon Kabat Zinn and Adyashanti guided meditation CDs to be very helpful.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 07:13PM by flex4life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 19, 2007 09:55PM

Hey flex4life!--
I love Adyashanti too! His audio lectures are pretty amazing, aren't they? I'll have to check out Jon Kabat Zinn too. Thanks!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 20, 2007 12:12AM

hi Kwan,

I agree, also his videos are quite amazing, something powerful about his Presence that brings out the same in me whenever I watch or listen to him.

Peace!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 20, 2007 07:40AM

Kwan,
I agree, I wish I could just think positive-and everything would be fine. I was all pumped for the interview, and yet I really wasn't prepared at all. But it always seems that way, one never knows what questions will come up in the interview. This was also a panel of three, which I wasn't prepared for. I found that at first I could hardly breathe, let alone speak. I didn't know how much anxiety this caused. Its pretty strange that I had no idea how to gage it or manage it. In fact I had no idea until that moment that it was happening. Actually after it had happend I noticed that.

Oh, boy...I didn't think it went very well at all.

Date: November 20, 2007 03:42PM

Mislu--
Oh, I hear you! So sorry it wasn't a good experience. I've been there. I remember some years ago I went to a temp agency when I was kind of stressed out, and I had to take a computer test after the interview, and when I was alone in the room with the computer I just freaked out mid-test and decided I couldn't go through with it, and I walked out of there real quick. Everyone's had days like that. Don't beat yourself up!

IT GETS BETTER. That's all you have to know. Next time you have an interview, I bet you won't be nearly as anxious.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: November 20, 2007 05:06PM

you could try a teaspoon of st. john's wort tea in your smoothies for a while...i haven't tried this so not sure on the taste, but could be good!

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: November 20, 2007 06:53PM

hey mislu, kwan is right. dont beat yourself up. there is no way to prepare for some things. my first 'real' job interview when i graduated from university was a disaster. i was so nervous that i puked!!!! in the middle of the interview! LOL!!!!! i can laugh about it now. the office called me back to try again. and they were all laughing about it, the 2nd time. and i ended up getting the job anyway.

the ironic thing is, after that interview, i went straight to another one and i so nailed it!!! i ended up with 2 job offers.

even if it was a disaster, the universe has a way of balancing everything, i believe. you will nail the next one you have! i just know you will. you will be so good.

Date: November 20, 2007 08:34PM

Another thing, Mislu--
Sometimes we can't see our own strengths. but your friends on this forum 'hear' you when you speak to us through your written words, and we know you're bright, articulate, sensitive (the good kind of sensitive ;-p) and intuitive. I bet you'll nail the next interview. It takes awhile in the world of employment-seeking to get to the point where we don't feel like we have to censor ourselves; eventually you'll feel comfortable and natural with the whole process.

You know, my 2 supervisors took me out to lunch a couple years in a row at the end of my job season, and I still felt just a little tongue-tied and 'on my best behavior,' which was pretty silly, given that they are my friends and totally supportive of me. It's a whole authority/peon complex that we all have, to some degree.

One thing that's helped me sometimes was to imagine (visualize) 'from the end' that I've had a sensational job interview, and I'm walking out of the office after the interview with a big smile on my face, feeling thrilled that I totally aced the interview. You don't even have to visualize the details, just the happy ending. Try it next time you have an interview.

:-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 21, 2007 05:16AM

Pihourova,
Wow, funny story. I think its great that you and they were able to go beyond the superficial. And you are right its good to keep a positive balanced view of everything. I have had it where I had gotten called back in after an interview that initially went bad, but their chosen candidate took another job, so I got an offering.

It was confirmed by phone that they had selected someone else, but that I was first runner up!

Date: November 21, 2007 05:38AM

Kwan,
I think you are right about a number of points. I think I am quite intuitive, sensitive, etc... The last time I was looking for work I did have some interesting experiences. One was where I had the habit of leaving home at the same time, to make myself get out and follow up on applications, and look for new leads. Then I found myself mysteriously not wanting to leave, and then looking for something, I didn't know what... and then just sitting on the edge of the bed next to the phone for some unknown reason. After about 10 minutes of this the phone suddenly rang! It was an agency looking to fill an assignment. I hadn't heard from them in a long time, and I had no idea they would call then.

My loving partner is very supportive for me in all this. He points out that these are so nothing jobs. The two interviews I had so far were actually not quite the best fit for me in a number of ways. So maybe its ok that they chose someone else. It leaves me open to find something more fitting. The question and suspense is what is it? I will have to keep looking to find the most fitting, and prepare for it.

I suddenly remembered something else when it comes to intuitiveness. I created a cartoon character with some particular traits, habits and attitudes. It was rather interesting that about a month later I met a person who fit exactly. Even the name was within a letter of the named cartoon. Some people had suggested that I draw their future, or something about them. I did this and they all came true. (for 5 people)The strangest one was of someone I didn't know very well, and I never showed him the drawing, in fact he never knew that I did that. The creepy part was that it wasn't a good prediction, I feel incredibly guilty, as I predicted his death, and the exact means. It almost feels like I cast a spell or something.

I have heard of visualizing what you personally would like in your life. I think that might be a good thing. Its been awhile since I did any sort of visualization. I think its easier when one has no expectations,and you are less learned. When I did those visualizations, I had less judgements about what was possible for the mind to do, or find out. I think is possible to regain that. I would rather like to create things.

Date: December 01, 2007 05:46AM

Hello everyone,
Just an update. I feel depressed still, and I am still looking for work. Its difficult most of the time to feel upbeat. Today I went to an art show, it had friendly people, but the art didn't do much for me. I did make a contact for a possible place to display and sell my art. I had the impression that I would get some money within the next month. I get these impressions, and don't always know how they could come true. And sometimes its just my mind thinking things. So, its a possibility, although I find it difficult the thought of parting with art pieces. I don't feel ready, but due to recent events, I think the universe is trying to tell me something...

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: December 01, 2007 12:21PM

perhaps the universe is trying to tell you something. i get that feeling sometimes as well. the hard part for me though, is tuning out all the noise so that i can hear what it is actually trying to say.

i am sorry you are still feeling down. i have started an intense exercise regime and i think that it is actually helping.

i know its very hard to be upbeat when you are job hunting. its so stressful and can be very discouraging. but we all go through it, mislu, at some point in life. you are not alone. just know that eventually the scales will tip in the other direction and i am in your corner, cheering you on!!

i am sending you big huge buckets of positivity and love this morning!!!!!!

camille

Date: December 02, 2007 03:26AM

Pihourova,
Thank you so much! What I am feeling has a strong seasonal aspect to it. I don't think that will go away, unless I go somewhere else. Its cold, damp and dark. It snowed today, and its supposed to snow really heavy tonight, but then change to rain! Its going to be rather slushy tommarrow! I had something planned for tommorrow and will have to cancel. Its the first snow, and there are usually a lot of cars off the road.

I have turned to my creativity to take my mind off of things, that helps alot. I created some cartoon characters, something I always thought would be fun. I watched an old movie today, and did some light housework. I think a nice mineral bath would help. A trip to the tropics sounds good too! Actually the tropics are supposed to come to me by way of storm, shouldn't that work?! yeah...not quite the same thing!

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: December 02, 2007 04:39AM

My daughter has fought depression for years. A few months back it had become really bad.... she was "ear witness" to a murder, and it really pushed her into deep depression, to the point where she was becoming suicidal. She talked to a friend who told her about Emotional Freedom Techniques. (EFT) Here's a basic description of how it works: Your body is wired electronically. When they do brain scans or tests on your heart, that's what they are checking... the electricity. EKG is an electric kardiogram.... ANYWAY.... this electricity travels through your body in channels and there are meridian points. Different things can happen that jam these meridian points so the electric signals don't pass freely as they should. Then the organs and parts of your body do not receive the electrical impulses they need for good health.... physical or emotional. Result: illness, depression, phobias, pain, etc.

EFT is a system of restoring the functioning of the electrical meridians. It consists of doing some things in a set pattern. This pattern is simple to learn and do, you need no tools, and you can do it about anywhere. My daughter found that by doing these things... which mostly consist on tapping the meridian points in a specific order (with her fingers) her mood would go from distressed, angry, frustrated, or overwhelmed, to peaceful and happy. She bought a huge set of CDs from the man who designed the EFT course.... he said that we could copy 100 copies to give away.

I have used the EFT teachniques myself on several occasions. I have seen it relieve pain, bring down blood pressure, give peace, help overcome fears, and a host of other things. No, it will not heal broken bones. If something is broken, it's broken and this is no "cure-all." But anything that is affected by the electricity of the body can be healed with EFT. It is amazing.

If someone is interested in a copy of the technique, let me know and I will arrange for them to receive one.

KathyT

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 03, 2007 04:56AM

I'm getting depressed also since I moved from sunny SoCal to cold wintery state and living like I'm in a cement box with nothing to do. You wake up in the cold and dark, then work (I'd be working if I could get any childcare in),eat, and go to sleep in the cold and dark..DEPRESSING!!!

I'm looking at Hawaii again, as a living place. I just need to be around nature, sunshine, sand and ocean. I can't live here..how does one placate the instinct to run and get out of a place like this?

I don't know why I do this stuff to myselfsmiling smiley You'd think after 30 years of being an adult, I'd know by now..where and how I can live!

Love,
Prism

Date: December 03, 2007 05:44AM

Prism,

I feel you, I'm facing a harsh winter here as well and I'm extremely sensitive. It's always good to look at your situation from a positive perspective. This is what I am doing, I'm treating the winter as a hibernation project where I get to catch up on movies, books, drawing, programming, exercise smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 03, 2007 06:25PM

Yes, but you are young and I'm old..ok not that old, but losing a whole span of time like the whole winter is a lot of time for me to be unhappy and depressed.

I could blame things like going off my thyroid meds, taking a break from the Iodine (I'm adding the Iodine back in slowly), a cold I caught, the winter blues, having no money to do much of anything, the stress of having so little childcare come in I may lose my phone service, and not have even the computer to keep my sanity..which is on an accelerated pace of eroding!

But the truth is really (and always has been for my whole life) that I can't adapt very well to living in cold climates and I don't know why that is, but it's not because I'm not acclimated..I lived here for my first 19 years of life, and had the same depression especially the winter months. Also, I'm losing the motivation to want to do anything..I really just want to stay in bed, and sleep.

I will learn again from this, and push thru the pains of it, but I have to once again figure out what and where I want to go. The people here that have seen me go thru this more than once, are saying.."Oh no..here we go again?!"

Ok, but it was the lure of the house, the stability of it that got to me..I traded in my sanity for stability, and wound up with depression. Oh, and btw I'm drinking hot cocoa! <shhhhh..>it's our secretsmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Date: December 03, 2007 08:38PM

Prism,
I think there is truth to that. I had depressive feelings as a child and young adult.(which everyone dismissed) But it does get much worse, at least for me I don't recall feeling quite this bad.

Iodine, is that known to help depression? It could, as it must influence all hormone levels. I have been taking vitamin d, and b12 (methyl form) and added vitamin c. I still feel pretty crappy. Last winter I took st.Johns wort, and i think that helped. Actually, that sounds good to add it again. It did help somewhat, although critics say it doesn't work.

I am thinking I should buy a full spectrum lightbulb to help me wake up in the morning and read by it. I wonder if it would stimulate you too much if you turn it on late at night. (it looks like a regular bulb you can screw into a lamp or overhead light) Some say you can even produce vitamin d by these full spectrum lights.

Date: December 04, 2007 02:57AM

Well..I did add back in some drops of Iodine today, and it did help with my energy levels, and I am less depressed. I actually got out of the house and went to the library and the store.

I have to have something to aid my thyroid so it functions, I'm hypothyroid and probably have been most if not all my life. At the very least from when I got strep throat perhaps which was age 11 and then puberty around the same time..stressed out my thyroid. Of course my mother could have been somewhat deficient in Iodine as well while pregnant and while I was not so very affected as some are with serious consequences, it could have been a reason why I'm hypothyroid.

Figuring out how much Iodine is what I've been working on now, because I don't just want to stay at high doses for no reason, so I'm building back up slowly, see what is a good dose or 2 doses during the day for me. I'm at 4 drops total right now, that's 6.5 mgs. per drop.

I have bought the full spectrum light bulbs, and they do help. I had a curved lamp that I put over my bed and when I woke in the morning I would gaze at it for awhile..about 20 minutes I guess. Don't buy anything that says florescent and full spectrum. I think you can buy the G.E. Reveal light bulbs and they are full spectrum.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 05, 2007 04:59AM

Prism,
Thank you for the info. Its good to know what works for you. Have you ever come across this information? The link below lists a number of additional nutrients needed for thyroid function.
[www.krispin.com]
It does mention that excess iodine could have a negative influence on thyroid just as it being too low.

This page suggests some other nutrients, and an indian herb guggul. Selenium, tyrosine, iodine, irish moss are also mentioned.
[www.bodybuilding.com]

other info
[www.ithyroid.com]

Have you ever taken any other nutrients? Selenium seems to be of importance. I have one experimented feeding 'centrum' tablets to lettuce plants and then eating them. I did a similar thing with miners lettuce, using some Klamath lake algae that went bad.(after a power outage) I felt so great after eating them. Its difficult to say what exactly I was getting from eating these, as several minerals would be made available from these plants. Along with hundreds of phytochemicals which the plant themselves made. In any case, iodine and selenium was present in the plants.

Some interesting ideas about mercury and cadnium.
[www.ithyroid.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2007 05:03AM by Mislu.

Date: December 05, 2007 05:16AM

Prism,
As you can see, trying to correct nutrient deficiencies or excesses can be quite complex, it seems to me that it would require extensive blood work and supervision from a health care provider of some type.
[www.ithyroid.com]

It might take longer, but whole foods and a balanced diet would probably be a safer way to health. I would include foods that are known to be generally high in iodine, selenium, vitamin c &e. Some foods like gogi berries, brazil nuts, sea vegetables for example would be great.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:33AM

I've got to put a plug in for the full-spectrum light therapy. I have a history of chronic depression that is severely aggrivated by the fall and winter seasons. the first winter I used the light therapy, it was a HUGE difference. Was it a cure-all? No, it has to be used in conjunction with other things...but it did make a significant difference. They're starting to sell them cheaper now, and sometimes your insurance will even cover it.

Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:50AM

OMG...I just read your original post..I have been going through the same ordeal...looking for a J-O-B...depressed...feeling anti-social and yet wanting more from your life...I am convinced that my depression is due in large part to the foods I eat and when I do not exercise it just gets worse...I am hoping you get better, but its comforting to know that we're not alone either. Keep trying...life has to get better.

Dafodil

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables