Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Menstruation on raw food
Posted by: love ()
Date: November 10, 2007 04:13PM

Hey All!

I know that on raw food not menstruating (to some) is a sign of a healthy body and to others it is a sign that something is not working right. Well, to end the confusion. HAS ANYONE GOTTEN PREGNANT WHILE NOT MENSTRUATING ON RAW FOOD? Did you start menstrauting again when you fell in love and had all your hormones going? Please share your experiences!

Thank you for your kindness!

love

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Menstruation on raw food
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 10, 2007 10:49PM

It's not that your hormones malfunction when you're clean and raw, so you still have a fertile cycle, and you can still get pregnant.

A highly-efficient body doesn't use blood in the scant menstrual discharge, it performs its functions without the mess, fuss, or drama that most of us have known during our cycle.

Its a common misconception that no blood = infertility, but the truth is, we can get pregnant even when we are bleeding...

So don't count on being infertile if you don't see blood. Use temperature or other methds of checking your hormone levels and ovulation. (there are some threads or posts on this forum somewhere......)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 10, 2007 11:26PM

i'm in the "not menstruating is not good" camp myself. it's certainly worth researching fully.

Date: November 11, 2007 06:34PM

Thank you all!

I know that it is said (a lot of people say it, write it, etc.) that you don't need to bleed to get pregnant. And that even though you are not bleeding, you are still fertile. What the REAL question I am asking is; HAS ANYBODY GOTTEN PREGNANT WHILE EATING RAW FOOD AND NOT BLEEDING? That is the basic question.

Thank you for your kindness!

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: November 12, 2007 01:53PM

I too would love to know if anyone has.

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: November 13, 2007 12:07AM

"Its a common misconception that no blood = infertility, but the truth is, we can get pregnant even when we are bleeding..."

I thought the reason you can get pregnant while you have your period would be that menstruation = likely fertility, therefore semen (which can live up to 7 days) can stay around long enough if you ovulate right after menstruation.

NHS website:
" If you don't use contraception when you have sex, you can get pregnant at any time during your menstrual cycle, even while you have your period. Ovulation (when eggs are released from your ovaries) usually occurs between 10-16 days before the start of your next period, and this is when you're most likely to get pregnant. You're therefore much less likely to get pregnant if you have sex just after your period has finished, but it's important to remember that sperm can survive in the body for a up to seven days after ejaculation."

Meanwhile,the number one red flag of anaovulatory cycles is lack of menses. I know people say that the body is 'cleaner/more efficient' and that explains the lack of menses, but I would really love to see an actual controlled study, or failing that, some personal experience. It's not just a hobby of mine, or that I'm trying to debunk anything..I'd like to know how raw living might affect fertility (for better or worse!).

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: November 13, 2007 12:28AM

How could a raw diet negatively affect fertility? As long one is getting enough calories/proper nutrition from raw food, wouldn't eating raw actually IMPROVE fertility?

Date: November 13, 2007 02:11AM

this has been discussed just too many times to retype everything here. please search the archives, there is a TON of info in posts about this already. it's just been talked to death already. it's an issue of major concern and controversy. scroll through the old pages and you'll find some other threads on this.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: November 16, 2007 03:54PM

Its not that I haven't scrolled through the old posts on this subject (which i have done)....I want to hear the ideas/opinions of others who are new to this board.

Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: November 16, 2007 05:43PM

I hope you get an answer to your question, love. I'm really curious to know.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: November 17, 2007 05:18AM

I can say this, my 16 y/o daughter was experiencing hormonal and female problems. That's what brought me to a raw life. I was in search of a natural way to help her when I stumbled upon raw.

We're both 4 months @ 75%/80% raw and her cycle has improved dramatically. Not only are her cycles on schedule, but they went from 6 to 7 days to now only 3 days long. That is a big improvement for her and it's all the encouragement she needed to stay "high" raw for life.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: November 17, 2007 05:30AM

Wow I envy all of you. I see no change in my cycles on partial raw. I am on 100% raw right now and I've been through one of the most "horrible" menstruation I ever had about 10 days ago. I guess it's a form of detoxing even though the term is a bit overused these days but still...it was awful.

But to answer the initial question...or not really...well I have 2 children and no they were not conceived when I did not have a period due to my raw food lifestyle.
I had many months of not having a period due to breastfeeding though.

Date: November 17, 2007 03:10PM

le sigh, me too. i had 1.5 years of no period after i had little but only 30 days after this baby. not that i dislike my period, i love it. it's just that i've really got my hands full right now! well, i suppose it causes me to slow down and take it easy so that's a good thing right now.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: November 17, 2007 06:05PM

My wife and I have been raw for almost four years. But when she was eating low fat, she lost her menstruations, and thought it was cool not to have to deal with it anymore. At that time, we tried to have a baby, but it never worked.
Over the last year, she started eating more fat, and her menstruations got back, still 100% raw. And now, she is pregnant.
I can't tell if without menstruations she was still ovulating, since we never check her hormones levels, but for sure, with menstruations it works.
Just our experience

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: corizza ()
Date: November 18, 2007 07:05AM

I wonder about eating a high fat raw diet as opposed to a low fat raw diet. I've read a lot about it. Does your wife feel better eating high fat raw?

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: November 18, 2007 08:57AM

Actually, she does feel better eating more fat. I don't think there is a definition of "high" fat, but she feels better on a higher fat diet. I think it ;has o do with hormones. If I remember right, woman hormones are synthesized from fat.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 18, 2007 09:02AM

for me it is low fat = no or light menstration and feel great and more energy

high fat = menstration and feel slow and sluggish.

Date: November 18, 2007 09:04AM

How long has it been like this for you ILoveJen?

Do you track your daily temperature ?

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: November 18, 2007 06:46PM

Don't know if someone said this already--but ovulation is the sign that you are healthy and can get pregnant--not necessarily menstruation.

Personally, I would freak out if I didn't get my period. I consider it to be a natural cleansing process. Since changing my diet though, I have noticed that my periods only last 2-3 days and are pretty light (as opposed to 6 or 7 days of pretty heavy bleeding). I no longer have cramps or discomfort and best of all my period is SO regular that I know the exact date in which it will start.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 18, 2007 07:23PM

I also believe that most hormonal problem have to do with overconsumption of fat. For women this has to do with the ovaries and uterus, for men its the prostate.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 18, 2007 08:34PM

I don't think it's so much dietary fat as it is body fat--too much leads to irregularities.

But they often (usually?) go hand in hand.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 18, 2007 08:48PM

what about these birth control pills that give you only 4 periods a year? Yukky

can you imagine?

Date: November 18, 2007 10:12PM

Thank you everybody!

sgc, thank you! That is exactly what I was asking for! Personal experiences! Thank you! May I ask, how much fat does your wife eat? Do you know her typical daily food intake? THANK YOU!

Create a day of love and light!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 19, 2007 05:26AM

aquadecoco:

it has been like this i suppose since i started menstrating in the first place. Even before raw I would notie that if i ate a lot of fatty junk food I would have much more uncomfortable cycles.

I don't monitor my body temperature though. should I be?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 19, 2007 05:50AM

Monitoring body temperature is a way to see where you are in your fertility cycle. There is a sharp increase in basal body temperature on the day of ovulation. You can used the fertility tracking website called fertilityfriend to track your body temperature and your cervical mucus to see the exact the day you ovulate. For a woman with no bleeding, she can see if she is ovulating this way.

Date: November 19, 2007 06:53AM

Ilovejen -it's because you said "no or light menstruation" that made me wonder. If there are times you don't release any blood, it could be that you're ovulating nonetheless. If you tracked your body temp., you'd know for sure.

I'm really curious to hear personal experiences about this, so if you ever decide to record it, let us know, okay??

Cheers!

Date: November 19, 2007 02:49PM

mucus and temperature tracking are very inexact. they are both greatly affected by mood, activity, environment and general health. a fertility tracking device like the ovu-trac which infalably measures the body's bio-salts (rise and fall in progesterone indicating ovulation onset) is the only clear way to track ovulation. it would be valuable to see the results of several woman eating a raw food diet, low and high fat, but the study of only one is indicitive of very little. there have been studies done on women eating a low fat SAD diet and following a high activity lifestyle. they cease to menstruate and ovulate.
this isn't a study of women following a raw diet but it's the closest that has happened so far.

Date: November 19, 2007 06:22PM

Ya I knew I shouldn't have written "know for sure", cuz it's not that conclusive - though I know a couple of long-term trackers who find it completely dependable.

Date: November 19, 2007 07:42PM

for sure, once you know your body really well you barely have to track at all, you have a sense of it. but it takes a while and lots of experience to get to that point. for first timers the saliva tracking works really well. when i first got my ovutrac i was amazed at how accurate it was.
i haven't tracked in a while, not since long before this baby. perhaps i will again in future if i have a need for conception control. it's nice to reaffirm how things are working in there. way better than any pill, that's for sure!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 19, 2007 07:53PM

My cycles have been getting more and more regular on raw. I'm almost a year raw, now, but they still aren't 100% "normal" as I still spot for a week, or two, before some cycles (but not all cycles). Next year I'm going to cut back on the fat and see if that makes a difference. Of course, I won't know if the changes are from being raw longer or from the reduced fat. ;-)

Love,

Gypsy

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables