Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it possible for me to be vegetarian/vegan/raw foodist?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 13, 2007 02:12AM

Hi,

I'm new to the concept of raw foodism, but have faced issues with being vegetarian and vegan in the past.

I am very allergic to nuts and legumes. This includes soy, which is a staple amongst my vegetarian friends.

I've always assumed that I cannot be vegetarian/vegan due to the lack of an extra protein source, but was wondering if anybody had any input. To help with my impact, I do eat organic foods right now, and the meat and dairy products I buy are organic, hormone-free, and the meat comes from free-range animals and my eggs from cage-free chickens.

Thanks for any feedback!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible for me to be vegetarian/vegan/raw foodist?
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 13, 2007 02:59AM

Can you eat seeds (pumpkin, sesame, etc.)?

Date: November 13, 2007 03:10AM

yes, I can eat seeds.

Posted by: karriebean ()
Date: November 13, 2007 03:11AM

spirulina i believe is a great source of protein.

~karriebean

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 13, 2007 03:29AM

Seeds - such as hemp seeds...can be a great source of protein. Of course...I have YET to see a non-disordered American have protein deficiency! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: November 13, 2007 03:39AM

The only complete protein that I've been told about is quinoa...would I be able to have a fairly active (and culinary versatile winking smiley ) lifestyle with seeds, quinoa, and spirulina? sorry for so many questions...but thanks so much for your feedback!

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: November 13, 2007 03:43AM

Hi ifoundkristina,

Welcome to the board! =)

I have a question. Why do you think that a vegan/vegetarian who doesn't consume nuts, legumes and soy won't get sufficient protein from his diet? As far as I know, a cooked and non-organic vegan diet without nuts, legumes and soy can still provide more than enough protein because whole-grains alone will do the trick.

Just my 2 cent.

All the Best,
Wong

Date: November 13, 2007 03:46AM

hi Wong!

I've been told that the only whole grain that provides all 9 essential amino acids is quinoa. Is this false?

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: November 13, 2007 03:53AM

ifoundkristina,

No, I don't think so. Virtually all plant foods contain all 8/9/10 essential amino acids (depending on your sources), just varies in the amount. In simple, as long as you consume enough calories, you will definitely meet your protein needs.

Have you read the book titled "Diet for A New America" by John Robbins? I think it's a great book as it covers all the informations you need to go vegans (included protein tongue sticking out smiley ).

All the Best,
Wong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2007 04:02AM by blue_sky.

Date: November 13, 2007 04:26AM

there is no need to eat a complete protein. the body has an amino acid pool that it draws from, so long as you are eating a range of foods you should be fine.

amino acid foods include grains, avocado, wheatgrass, sprouts, seeds, etc etc etc.

article on avo
[www.living-foods.com]
protein article
[www.living-foods.com]
wheatgrass article
[www.living-foods.com]

these are all on this forum in the "articles" section.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: November 13, 2007 04:41AM

I think most raw foodists don't touch soy anyway. How many vegetarians or vegans do you know who eat a lot of soy and have sluggish thyroids? (there's a connection)

Even if you decided to continue eating meat/eggs/whatever because of protein.. Seriously, what does that have to do with eating RAW fruits and vegetables? A lot of raw foodists aren't even 100% raw.

If you want to go vegan and still don't feel veggies or seeds are enough for protein..you can always supplement with something like this -
[www.sunfood.com]
(can find it in stores, don't have to get it online)

Sprouts are good for protein too.
[www.sproutpeople.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2007 04:47AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: November 14, 2007 03:38AM

kristina,

Welcome. It looks like you're geting a lot of great input here.

Just one more thing though. Most all of the major studies on nutritional breakdown needs in terms of carbohydrate, fat and protein say that we only need to consume about 10 percent of our calories from protein. Proteins are the building block of living cells and thus, all plant based foods provide some measure of protein .... even a lettuce leaf.

The protein issue has long been ignorantly used to dissuade people from becoming vegan.

If you stick around this forum for a while you'll probably get the message that a far greater concern to many raw foodists is finding a balance between fats and carbohydrates.

Wishig you a successful transition and vibrant health!

Posted by: uti ()
Date: November 14, 2007 03:39AM

kristina,

Welcome. It looks like you're geting a lot of great input here.

Just one more thing though. Most all of the major studies on nutritional breakdown needs in terms of carbohydrate, fat and protein say that we only need to consume about 10 percent of our calories from protein. Proteins are the building block of living cells and thus, all plant based foods provide some measure of protein .... even a lettuce leaf.

The protein issue has long been ignorantly used to dissuade people from becoming vegan.

If you stick around this forum for a while you'll probably get the message that a far greater concern to many raw foodists is finding a balance between fats and carbohydrates.

Wishing you a successful transition and vibrant health!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 14, 2007 06:29AM

just eat a lot of green smoothies. you'll look and feel great.

don't forget to exercise. you'll thrive. so simple and tasty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables