Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Touching Trash
Posted by: nik ()
Date: November 16, 2007 03:45AM

This is a weird question. What can happen from touching rotting trash? I was away from my house for a long time and barely had much at all in the trash, so it wasn't taken out in a couple weeks. I don't know what was in there, whatever it was thugh it was composting really bad. I took it out when I saw it cause it smelled so bad and there were tons and tons of fruit flies in it and having life-cycles in it. I took it to the street and then left the top of the can open so the flies could escape. I reached down though to open the edge of the bag more though so it was more open for them to get out. Big mistake. My finger - nail part ended up touching something wet on the bag. I pulled away immediately in disgust, went back upstairs and washed my hands with soap and water. Yet immediately and ever since then (hours ago) my finger that touched it has felt weird. Like there is something there or something seeped in. Like a presence or light pressure on the nail. I can't stop touching it and pressing on the nail, and I can't stop freaking out about why it would feel that way and what is it. My husband is of no help or comfort because he knows I'm a hypochondriac and he doesn't care about something so mild and crazy sounding. Being a hypochondriac though, yet knowing what I feel and sense is real, I can't relax until I know what it is or might be. I have my hand soaking in ACV right now.

Is it possible to get an infection or nail fungus from such a brief exposure to decaying liquid, and would you feel it right away?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Touching Trash
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 16, 2007 02:41PM

*hugs*

I strongly believe that our thoughts create the world around us. It sounds like you washed your hands very well and the ACV probably acted as an astringent. You are going to be fine if you allow your mind to believe there is nothing wrong. ;-)

Hugs and lots of love,

Gypsy

Date: November 17, 2007 03:01AM

Thanks Gypsy. I believe that too. It felt weird all the way up until I went to bed last night, but it was pretty much gone by the next day. I think I just have super sensitive skin, especially on my hands. So I'm always paranoid about things on my hands. I especially hate shaking people's hands. I usually always end up with a burning sensation on my hands afterwards, depending on the person. Even after washing my hands it takes a long time for the burning sensation to go away. I hate being sensitive and OCD. I literely dread going to events and parties and meeting people because of the stupid handshaking and skin to skin contact.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 17, 2007 03:13PM

Ahahaha that is funny, burning sensations after shaking hands?
not normal. My opinion smiling smiley

I know what it is, people who eat alot of Buckwheat sprouts, get this feeling, ultra sensitivity in their hands. Look it up google "buckwheat sprouts toxic"

Buckwhhat spouts has a toxin in it.

was this it?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 17, 2007 03:16PM

The basic problem with buckwheat greens is that they contain fagopyrin, a naturally occurring substance in the buckwheat plant. When ingested in sufficient quantity, fagopyrin is known to cause the skin of animals and people to become phototoxic, which is to say hypersensitive to sunlight. This condition, specifically known as fagopyrism, occurs when the ingested fagopyrin accumulates under the skin and is subsequently activated by sunlight, resulting in a toxic reaction within the skin. Typically, exposed areas of skin turn pink or red within minutes and a strong burning sensation accompanies the reaction. Within a few hours, the exposed areas usually appear to return to normal, however, continue to remain ultra-sensitive to cold water, hot water, and to friction. This sensitivity can last for days.

In addition to the burning sensation, people suffering from fagopyrism often complain of feeling a numb, fuzzy, and buzzing impression when they scratch or inadvertently hit their hands on something. Sufferers also report that their hands feel painfully cold when placed in cold water or when in contact with a cold object, even if only for a few seconds. Some have had numbing, itching, and tickling on the face, nose, and ears after sun exposure thus causing a desire to scratch the skin, thereby worsening the condition. The eyes may also become hypersensitive to light. If a large enough portion of the skin is exposed, one may experience dizziness. If a person is forced to remain in the sun for a long period of time, the skin may swell up and remain abnormal for up to several days.

You can read the whole article at [www.gillesarbour.com]

Posted by: RawsomeButterfly ()
Date: November 18, 2007 12:24AM

Nik, wheatgrass juice is highly detoxifying. You can soak your finger in that, or take some moist pulp and wrap it around your finger as a poultice.

BTW, I ate buckwheat greens for eight months every single day and had no undesired reaction to it, but everyone is different.

Date: November 18, 2007 05:22PM

I don't eat buckwheat at all. The hulls or the greens.

Anyways, the hand shaking thing I believe is due to either the things the person was touching, the chemicals and fragrances in their hand soap and lotion, perfumes they add to their hands, or maybe a chemistry reaction. That's why it only happens with some people and not others. Either way, I am grossed out by the extremely unsanitary and bizarre stupid American custom. It's more sanitary to kiss each other. It's not like my hand gets inflamed or anything extreme. When I say I am sensitive, I mean that I very sensitive to noticing very subtle sensations, things that most people are probably just oblivious to. When I walk by people wearing a cloud of noxious perfume or musk, I am sensitive enough to notice the subtle taste and coating in my mouth from breathing it in, or the slight dizziness I feel. It's not like it knocks me out. I guess my awareness is just very sensitive, like a sensitive detection instrument.

Thanks RawsomeButterfly, my finger is fine now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 05:28PM by nik.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 18, 2007 06:04PM

I don't stress over these kinds of things anymore. I am getting used to being around bad bugs and stuff.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

We are basically just hotels for bacteria. There are ten times as many bacterial cells in our bodies as human cells.

Pathogens are everywhere and our bodies are designed to fight them off. The adaptive immune system is a finely-tuned miracle, and in most people it works well when we treat our bodies well.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 18, 2007 06:10PM

Oh nik, I have extreme sensitivity to chemical scent, too and it's terrible to live with! I can feel the chemicals in my sinuses and on my face immediately. I splash with water and clean my nose, as soon as possible afterward.

Anyway I've been doing much better since going raw. Coffee and chocolate made it many times worse. Doing cleanses helps enormously and I have planned several more.

People think sensitive people are crazy - I would have thought so too, when I was healthy! So unfair, I think now, to assume such things.

Why do you say you're a hypochondriac? I don't believe that exists, I think it's the medical profession brushing aside what they don't know and can't help with surgery or drugs.

Hope you get better with raw, etc. I believe that my probs are the result of overtaxed, unhealthy organs and that I will be almost as good as new in another year or so. I can actually go into drug stores or Walmart now without feeling horrible for hours afterward. It's only been a few months since that was impossible for me.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 18, 2007 06:23PM

nik Wrote:

"Either way, I am grossed out by the extremely unsanitary and bizarre stupid American custom.." (shaking hands)

nik

Shaking hands is not an American custom, per se, although I suppose Americans do shake hands a lot!!..

Which is strange, as the original settlers to the Americas predominantly came from Europe; where I believe the custom of shaking hands originated..

The custom of shaking hands originated when two warriors from different tribes, towns, countries, etc. met, supposedly in peace..

To prove to one another that they were friendly & meant each other no harm (not always the case!!), the clasping of one another's right forearms became an accepted practise..

Since most people then were & still are right-handed, it was the right forearm (later the right hand) that was grasped..

When two warriors were holding onto each others forearms; if one of them had bad intentions as to killing the other, then the likeliehood would be that both would die..

Since both warriors would be in a heightened state of alert, both would be prepared for trouble & willing to strike his opponent if betrayed..

This eventually evolved into shaking hands..

At what point the habit (and it is a habit) of shaking hands evolved into a form of greeting, I do not know..

My guess would be during the Industrial Revolution, from the late Nineteenth Century to the early Twentieth Century..

It was during that period time that the rule of law began to truly civilize Europe & North America, lessening the need for everyone about their daily activities to go armed..

Since it had been a habit for centuries for men to greet one another this way; & as going about armed & fighting constantly gave way to peaceful commerce, the shaking of hands became an everyday way for men to greet one another..

It's still considered de rigeur in American & European business circles to shake hands when greeting one anothers' business rivals..

As far as women are concerned, in my personal experience, most do not seem to be all that comfortable with shaking hands..

I guess this is to be expected, since women in the past had been mostly precluded from battle (where the custom originated); & until recently been precluded from business..

If you don't feel comfortable shaking hands, then don't do it..Politely tell the person that you don't shake hands..You can always come up with a reason if they ask why..

Sorry for hijacking your thread somewhat, but I thought you should know that Americans didn't start the whole business of shaking hands..

Bruce

P.S.

I too am sensitive to the smells of virtually all fragrances..

Heavily perfumed women & men with a lot of cologne on force me to leave their presence..

As I become more & more raw the sensitivity seems to be lessening..

I symphathise completly with your not wanting to touch others hands considering your sensitivities..

Good luck & be well!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 06:34PM by baltochef.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: November 18, 2007 10:44PM

aquadecoco and baltochef,

I am also sensitive to scents. Or should we say 'scentsitive' ;-) ?

Google 'toxic' and 'perfume' and you'll come up with reams of material on virtually all the scents used, they are mostly carcinogenic, very toxic. Once again our tax dollars at work for big business, letting the FDA and corporations put one over on the public. The manufacturers put the product in our hand creams, shampoos, laundry and dish detergent, etc., and then by law must dispose of the same exact material as toxic waste! Very similar to the way they treat the mercury in 'silver' fillings.

I too hottail it outta here when there's someone wearing heavy perfume, Mostly I just can't stand the stuff and find it awfully distracting. It smells like bug spray. Every once in a while I'll have a really big allergic reaction to something someone is wearing - sneezing, feeling dizzy, dry mouth, etc. It's nasty stuff.

I especially hate it when someone wearing perfume or smelly hand cream touches me, or even worse, hugs me. I get slimed, it gets all over my clothes and skin -- YECHCHCH!!! More than once I've had to come home in middle of the day, strip and shower to get the stuff off me.

I think it should be outlawed.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 19, 2007 07:11AM

Yes, I feel I've been contaminated too... slimed! - that's funny! It smells for hours or days afterward.

I am wondering when people will bring class action suits against the manufacturers of such products, since they cause or exacerbate many health problems.

I feel pity for people who look so proud of their new perfume - they don't realize they just got suckered into purchasing a product which contains very cheap ingredients, though millions were spent to get them to buy that product ... why would anyone be proud of that?

These factory-produced "perfumes" are nothing like the perfumes made decades ago, from botanical sources, which were expensive due to their labour-intensive production. Now they're expensive due to advertising costs.

Someone showed me a youtube of Paula Abdul testing chemical scents to put in her "signature fragrance" and by the end of the testing, she had changed from a somewhat business-like person into a giddy, unfocused person. It affects neural activity!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 21, 2007 12:39AM

I love shaking hands. I've always liked men's hands.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 21, 2007 01:14AM

You go girl!!..

Bruce

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: November 22, 2007 09:31PM

I had to stick my hand down the toilet the other night.. I have OCD..that freaked me out.. so yes I understand that "burning all up your arm sensation".. I think perhaps its more mental thant actual physical.. ((or perhaps it was scrubbing my hands like mad afterwards..))

you wont catch me shaking anyones hand...

but I will happily eat muddy carrots smiling smiley ..or romp through the rubbish if I have to!--obsession with cleaning/everything being clean is something we have to let go of..especially on raw.. gradual to get rid of that worry..water is enough to clean us.. our food and our clothes..what more do we need?!

rambling..lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables