Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

i have never tried these:
Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 06, 2007 01:04AM

durians

yoga

crafted raw foods: as in...raw stuff crafted to look like cooked stuff, like raw pizzas, tacos, chocolate cakes...etc...

out of all the above, i should probably start doing yoga,

one day i shall try a durian, although i dont know how, because i have never seen one at my local safeway/wholefoods/traderjoes.

hmmm...not too excited by crafted raw foods, but hey, i never tried them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i have never tried these:
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 06, 2007 01:52AM

Where do you live? Do you have any Asian markets nearby?

I love yoga!

When I eat so-called gourmet raw/vegan foods my belly doesn't like it. I do much better with simple meals.

Date: December 06, 2007 02:03AM

i live in the bay area, california, altho i dont get out much. i am still new here.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:09AM

i have never tried these

[en.wikipedia.org]

but i want to.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:33AM

Wow, Coco, that looks interesting. I've never heard of "miracle fruit" before. Have you seen them in stores anywhere?

Thanks for teaching me something new!

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:39AM

This raw diet is just so boring . . . not! I love finding new things to eat, I feel like an explorer! :-)

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:10AM

if you get to SF, try chinatown. then you'll start "doing durian" too.
I haven't had one for weeks, but yesterday I thought of them, and I swear to god I tasted it instantly in my whole head and throat (those of you who have had one know this engulfing feeling from them, yes?)

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: annex ()
Date: December 06, 2007 05:22AM

pineapple girl -

I live in the bay area and i see durian all the time. asian markets and some grocery stores.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 06, 2007 08:40PM

I have a miracle fruit bush in my yard...it's very trippy. After eating the miracle fruit you could eat the rind of a grapefruit and it would taste sweet. I'm not sure how it works. It's interesting, but more of a curiosity than a regular part of my diet.

Has anyone tried Mangostein? I found a small tree in a nearby valley and the fruit is so delicious.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 06, 2007 11:41PM

I want to try a miracle fruit too. I never heard of that.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 06, 2007 11:48PM

For durian in the Bay Area, try Ranch 99 or Lion Supermarket. In SF, there is Sunset Supermarket or the New May Wah.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:06AM

Or try Berkeley Bowl between Shattucka nd Adeline in Berkeley. Cheap organic fruit paradise! I was looking for cherimoya there yesterday, but they didnt have. Still bought a whole table full of fruity and green goodies. I will look for durian next time. Never had one. Anyone ever tried Mangosteen? They have freeze dried ones at Trader Joe's which are just amazing, but now I am looking for the real thing. Same thing for Rambutan.

cocoanibs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 12:10AM by cocoa_nibs.

Date: December 07, 2007 12:13AM

PS: Oh, and for crafted raw foods you could check out Cafe Gratitude. [www.cafegratitude.com] They have three locations in the Bay Area, SF, Berkeley and San Rafael. It was the place that first turned me on to raw, but i now find it too heavy (lots of flax, nuts and the like).

Date: December 07, 2007 12:42AM

wow, so many great responses!

thank you to everyone who replied with your input!

hmm...still not too interested in "crafted food" but trying it once might not be too bad.

i am just not a flax/raw nut/oil/date type raw person. i find nuts so hard to digest,

i like the more simple and easy to digest type of raw eating. like just mono fruit eating,

or lots of romaine, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

but still...crafted raw foods do sound fun for maybe a special night out,

and i did not know there was one so close, like San Rafael.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:29AM

ALIVEis another fancy gourmet raw restaurant in San Francisco. Haven't been there yet, but my raw friends love it when they go down to the City and it will be number one on my list when I go down next trip. I've been to Gratitude in the Mission several times and have enjoyed the experience.

I couldn't eat that way every day, but it sure is entertaining.

Date: December 07, 2007 01:32AM

quote: "I couldn't eat that way every day, but it sure is entertaining."

exactly...!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:53AM

ah maui~man, you are so blessed.

mangostein is one of my favourite exotic fruits. the taste is unreal, so good! have you noticed the the shape of the green 'button' mimics the shape of the segments inside? it's very neat.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 07, 2007 03:51PM

This makes me miss living in Southern California. Now I live in Spokane Wa where the price of a Cherimoya is $5! And no durian or asian markets with produce or nuthin!! Mauigreg - are you in Hawaii? I wonder if a Miracle Berry would grow here....

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 07, 2007 06:41PM

Yeah coco,

Mangostein is unreal...tasty and beautiful... hard to describe. I found the tree while I was hiking up a streambed and took a fruit and a leaf to try and identify it. A botanist friend took one look and just smiled and said "ooh let's eat!" I went back to the tree the next day.

Angie1, I live at about 2000ft elevation on Maui. It gets "chilly" at night, but never really below 40 degrees (even below 50 is rare). You may be able to grow the miracle fruit as a container plant and bring it inside on cold nights.

Posted by: oshinn ()
Date: December 07, 2007 11:20PM

i just like eating things in their simple forms, but that may be because i'm too lazy to prepare something complicated. smiling smiley

Posted by: D'vorah ()
Date: December 08, 2007 01:42AM

I love Mangosteen. I love everything about them. Not much chance of finding any here in Alaska, but I can always hope.

Deborah

Date: December 08, 2007 09:16PM

Ok, sounds like lots of Bay Area folks on this list... Anyone into getting together, doing a trip to the Bowl (or to Gratitude) together, I'd love to mee yall, hook up and share stories and a durian... I live in Vallejo.

you can email me offlist here, if you have a myspace account:
myspace.com/bassista

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables