Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

^^^ i have dry cough that isn't going away ^^^ please help me out ^^^
Posted by: datesandfigs ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:03AM

i got sick about two weeks ago after eating i think seven mentos in one time...
i was waiting for the bus at night after work and had nothing to do...
it's also because i've been eating really poorly recently (i'm a raw foodist who has gone off the wagon too many times and who's dreaming of getting back on it permanately...)

first i got a sour throat and then later in the day i felt very weak
and then even though i was feeling this way i had to go out of town (15 hour ride) and during the ride i felt just awful... nauseous and i was burning red...
i didn't eat anything at this point of course... just drank water with lemon and honey.... i brought it from home

when i got there, because i needed to participate in a program i couldn't fast.. so i ate things i would never eat while being sick so that i could have a little more energy and not have such bad breath as i had while fasting... i stayed there for a few days and when i returned i went to work i couldn't fast again for the same reason... now after a week and a half of being sick i got fired (really sad about that but that's besides the point) .... i was now able to fast for the last 3 days, took senna tea (oh my god, i took 1 table spoon per cup of water.. that was so painful!!!), took hot baths, rested, but it's not helping!! i don't have that much mucous anymore, but i have a dry cough and it feels like i have something stuck in my thoat but i really don't..... ... what do i do? i have an interview scheduled for monday... i HAVE to get better.

help me! i'll do anything...

p.s. i didn't take any medications whatsoever sinc i was 3 years old and i always managed to get better really quickly.. actually i'm barely EVER sick... i guess i really damaged my body this time... i ate so much junk.... too much mixing... too much late eating... i never used to be like this...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 12:13AM by datesandfigs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ^^^ i have dry cough that isn't going away ^^^ please help me out ^^^
Posted by: datesandfigs ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:36AM

just an add:
i start coughing because my airway gets blocked and i can't breath... i feel like if i don't cough i will choke...

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:43AM

I don't have any magic answers, sometimes these things just take a lot more time to heal than we think they should! Suggestions that work for me are eating well, of course, sleeping as much as you can, drinking as much water, herbal tea, juice as you can, getting tons of vitamin C, ginger and garlic, and doing things that are nice and calming. Watching a movie, reading a book, taking a bath. However, once I am on the mend and I feel like I've been sitting around for ages getting out of shape I think its time just to get back in the game and I seem to get better quickly.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: December 07, 2007 03:56PM

I second what ksmanthey is saying. Everyone in my house had "the hack" for about 2 months. After about a month of lemon juice/raw honey (try it a little warm!), breathing hot steam in the shower, garlic, ginger, cayenne, etc. it seems to have subsided, but the whole time there was a lot of mucus coming out. Vigorous excercise will help too - for some reason light running makes my lungs really get going and to get productive coughs. If you're not much of a runner (I'm not!) just jog lightly - I walk from one phone pole to the next, then jog to the next, then walk, and so on. I hope that helps!

Angie

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:09PM

slippery elm tablets from the health food store soothe your throat too.
make a steambath with a bowl of hot water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil, drape a towel over your head over the bowl and breathe deeply for 5-15 minutes. simmer a pot of water with a few drops of eucaluptus or peppermint oil on the stove.
gargle with salt water and drink a lot a water, hold it in the back of your throat to wet it all, part of it stays dry sometimes when drinking, fold your tongue over and use it to feel around the back of your throat and you will see what i mean. part of it feels hot and sticky. water helps.

eat foods high in vit c like kiwi and red pepper.

you can make a tea of any of the following,

mullein
horehound
licorice root
coltsfoot

powdered ginger or ginger juice or finely grated ginger dissolved/soaked in a cup of hot water with a bit of lemon is terrific. some people add honey to this as a throat soother but honey is not considered vegan (just so you know, this may not matter to you).

good luck, feel better. plenty of rest, stay warm and cheerful. watch or read something funny because laughter is still the Best medicine.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:37PM

^ I have to agree with the Slippery Elm tablets, they really do wonders for the throat smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: December 08, 2007 06:24AM

if you're having breathing problems, like bronchitis, ephedra works really well for bronchitis and asthma. Part of the plant was banned by the government a few years back, then the ban was lifted, and I'm not sure where things stand now. But the other part of the plant was not banned, and it's in use for asthma and bronchitis.... my husband had bronchitis so bad he would cough until he passed out, literally. The ephedra really helped him.

We keep it for him to use, as he generally gets bronchitis every year.... or at least he used to before using the ephedra. Now he only uses it when sick, but it has been a blessing. We bought ours online.

KathyT

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 08, 2007 06:36AM

If you want to heal this, get into to bed and stay there, only drinking water, until your symptoms go away. Get as much rest and sleep as possible. Your body is more than capable of healing this if you provide the conditions for your body to heal itself.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 08, 2007 10:55AM

Agreed, rest, drink lots of water.. vitamin C rich juices

Let everything clear out of your system then when you are strong enough start fuelling on raw living fruits and veg

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: December 09, 2007 07:19AM

I haven't read the other posts in this thread. Sorr. Not much time but I do want to relate my own experiences with coughs.

One day, some years ago, I noticed that there's a certain kind of cough that just didn't go away. I'd cough and cough but it didn't seem to do any good. So I decided to stifle it. One or the other eye'd tear up, and would release some tears INSIDE. I wouldn't cry tears down my face, but the tears would flow inside my sinuses. I notice that my throat feels like it's cracking. Sometimes I notice my face feeling hot. Both the hot feeling on my face and the tear happen on only one side. I don't know why only one side and it's not always the same side.

I no longer stifle the cough. I breath into it, you might say. I concentrate on the feeling and relax as much as possible. It's not easy at all. Really takes some will to relax.

This whole thing lasts about 30 seconds I guess. Then I sometimes cough once or twice. This seems to work better for me than constantly coughing. As I say, I first did this some years ago. And I still do it. So I still am doing something wrong, I guess, in my life. I suppose this because I suppose if I weren't doing something "wrong" then I wouldn't have this annoying cough as often as I do. And now, with this cold that I've had for the longest time I've ever had a cold, I cough more often than usual.

Try this. I've told a few other people about this but so far as I know, nobody has ever tried it. I'm curious to see what someone else experiences.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables