Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting with Colitis
Posted by: oneSource ()
Date: December 12, 2007 06:22PM

I've read conflicting advice on fasting and juice fasting for people with ulcerative colitis. Does anyone know if juice fasting is too cleansing is considered 'too harsh' for a tender colon?
Thanks . . .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting with Colitis
Date: December 12, 2007 06:33PM

OH and I should mention that I am on various pharmaceuticals at the moment and not sure how those would react with fasting.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 12, 2007 06:50PM

Good place to ask is here:
[www.livingnutrition.com]

David Klein is good for those questions

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 12, 2007 11:14PM

Opinion:

-Slowly transition to YOUR goal of fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. Eat simply...and live your passionate dreams. You may find....as time goes on...that you don't want poor foods....and may consider lessening or eliminating medications....in consultation with your health professional.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: December 15, 2007 12:53AM

I just finished reading a free ebook from soilandhealth on this very subject, so I thought you might be interested:
Triumph Over Disease By Fasting And Natural Diet by Dr. Jack Goldstein (DPM)
[soilandhealth.org]
"A personal testamonial in the vein of a true-confession story, only this story is not of love and betrayal, but of a young man who, through receiving much conventional medical treatment for ulcerative colitis, had been so damaged by the medicos that he approached death. In the nick of time he discovered natural hygiene, fasted for over 40 days and began to recover health and enjoyment of life. Gruesome in its detailed description of the disease and shocking in its recounting of the brutal and constitution-destroying treatments he received, interesting in the detailed inner-experience of a long-time water faster. Downloads as a PDF of 633 kb."
Enjoy!

Date: December 26, 2007 09:03PM

Thanks for the comments.
I was able to go off the meds for a year via juice fasting and eating 80 - 90% raw ... unfortunately I had a bad flare recently and am back on the meds (probably due to poor eating habits as well as stress), though I am committed to getting myself healthy as naturally as possible.
Harmony, I requested a copy of that book and looking forward to reading it. Sometimes I just get resigned and doubtful about what is the 'right' thing to do, so it's good to read inspirational stories of other people.
I think my gut is healed enough that juice/fasting should be fine now, actually beneficial. I did a fast and sweat on Friday for the Solstice and felt better than I have in a while!

if you are interested, please check out my blog at: [alethafaye.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 27, 2007 07:48AM

oneSourse,

I battled ulcerative colitis for ten years and have been very fortunate to find a cure. When my doctor told me I had to stay on Salofalk for the rest of my life I decided it was time to start experimenting and not just with food. Although, I believe colitis is totally diet related...fruits in huge amounts always triggered bouts of colitis for me. Two weeks of Japanese oranges at x-mas or two weeks of eating plums right off the tree in August would always set off a bout of colitis for two years or more. My cure....I drank a teaspoon of 80% medical grade DMSO once a day...completely healed in two weeks and off all meds.

If you want to read the story you can just Google...'ulcerative colitis DMSO' and you will come to my website on the first page. If you don't want to read the whole DMSO article just hit the 'cached' word before you come to the site and it will take you right to where I talk about colitis and DMSO.

Hope this helps
Brent

Re: Fasting with Colitis answer from Paul Nison
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: December 27, 2007 02:36PM

Hello,
It is a good idea to fast but not with fruit juice. Only green vegetable juice. I have been healed of Colitis and wrote a book about it and teach at Hippocrates Health Inst. and all over the world. I have written 7 books about the raw food diet. See www.paulnison.com and read my story. You can download my book "Healing IBD" from my site www.rawlife.com

I councel anyone with Colitis for free if you want to give me a call 561-337-9299 I will be happy to help you.

Paul Nison

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 27, 2007 02:46PM

Colitis isnt IBD

But.. anyway

I would recommend reading up David Kleins book, that is a good help

I have found complete healing from crohns via 80-10-10, so thankful for it.

You have to find the right pattern for you, but I would say take it slow, anything fast may elongate your flare.

Eat simply and go slow

Wishing you all good health for the future.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 27, 2007 09:36PM

There is so many thoughts and methods... Put your hands togheter and search inside, there is something your body wants to tell you.

What is it?

What is what it want to tell you?

How does it feel?

Does it hurt?

Feel like a ball?

Just feel, and do that for a couple of months.

I had myself alot of pain with my Morbus Chrons (a relative to Colitis) and found happyness with David Kleins method and now EM-1 (effecive microorganism) to implant the bacteria I lost with medication, food etc.

What does your gut tell you?

Date: December 27, 2007 09:51PM

Wow. I am overwhelmed with the responses and support. Thank you so much guys, you have given me much to work with and look over. yay!

Have read David Klein's book though i thought it heavy on fruits which didn't really work for me, though I agree with some of the principals of natural hygeine. Def agree with doing the green juices - those work best for me esp. to calm down that sweet tooth and ground me.
Brent - I will look that up, I have never heard of DMSO.
Paul - I have read one of your books also. Your story is one of those that kept me inspired and afloat through the difficult times - and I'm so happy/surprised to see your response here!! Thank you for your generous offer!
Healthybun - I appreciate the wisdom in your words . . .

I feel really blessed to be surrounded by you all.
Thank you!! *oxoxox*

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 27, 2007 10:06PM

hi onesource

you may also wish to try probiotics ( like Primal Defense or other forms)

i think the guy that came up with Primal Defense also had colitis ( if i'm not mistaken) and got rid of it and he got inspired to create the probiotic formula for it which is for maintaining healthy intestinal flora

that could be key

i ran into goldstein's story a long time ago ( believe it was on the internet)

fasting is known for its "repairing" abilities
all the energy that would be used to digest is mobilized to repair

so that right there is something to look into
i would say that green juice is best
it has chlorophyll which is better than fruit juice ( esp. if you have colitis)

well, good luck

don't give up

Date: December 28, 2007 02:26AM

Hi,
Contact me and I'll be happy to help you. I help people all the time and want to help you so please email me paul@Rawlife.com
yes, IBD is colitis, and too much fruit is bad for every one.
Love to you all
Paul Nison

Date: December 28, 2007 02:40PM

My experience with Primal Defence: Not working.

Tho' I can rekommend EM-1 for a probiotic and prebiotic.

Love!

Date: December 28, 2007 04:37PM

RE: probiotics--> I use MetaGenics UltraFlora DF (dairy free) at it is really awesome. It definitely helps. UFDF has the highest concentration of live organisms you can get, but you have to go thru a supplier i.e. a naturopathic dr or someone (I'm not sure if you can order online).

Date: December 28, 2007 09:17PM

Go to www.rawlife.com See Dr. Bisci's high power pro botics. They are the best!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 29, 2007 01:49AM

I don't know why we have to think about going overboard with things, and I have seen lately that one is cautioned to make sure to take a probiotics that have at least "8 billion+" count.

If you eat a little fermented vegetable daily, or take a smaller amount of a prebiotic or probiotic and keep that up for at least 1-2 months, one should not need to continually take it, just on occasion after you've planted the good bacteria in your gut..it will multiply on it's own given a friendly environment.

Just something about when some people talk about certain ones, like Primal Defense..I've read where it made them kind of ill, queasy, etc. You know what they say about too much of a good thing. I'm not saying it's going to make anyone ill, or that you shouldn't take it, but have you seen the price on that stuff! Come on folks, you don't need to spend that much on a good probiotic, imo.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 29, 2007 08:01AM

Anyone heard about a probitoic with a trillion active bacterias for each ml?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables