Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: When is it OK to lie?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 19, 2007 09:31AM

Thoughts:

-I was continuing to think on this a bit. Folks have weird ideas about kids. I can't think of ANY kid that became an angry adult because they were 'lied to' about Santa Claus!....heh..heh....(maybe the Easter Bunny though....). Kids are NOT stupid....and know a good story when they realize one. They can ALSO take a bit of a joke/ribbing....if done with love. I don't PERMANENTLY hold a grudge for being taken on that Snipe hunt......LOL.

-Stories and fiction are fine. If love is your excuse...you can always lay the blame on ME! winking smiley Tell em Dave made you do it! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 19, 2007 01:02PM

my parents didn't do santa.
I went to Kindergarten and "found out" about santa--i.e. learned he exists!
oh, but then I came home and my father expalined how impossible is was for a man to fly around the world with gifts for all the children slip down chimeys etc.

Instead, like Dave was saying, my parents were and still are very playful and sarcastic (not rudely--comicly). It taught me to interpret people's intention and meaning in their words I think.

In terms of lying myself, and knowing that I will lie in the future...
I thought about what I said, and it doesn't make sense to expect to lie. That only sets the stage for it. I am open to the tabula rasa of what has not happened yet. I only can say what has happened in the past...but that is gone now too. So until a moment where I am lying, I can say that I am not a liar.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 19, 2007 03:18PM

I asked my hasband last night how he feels about the Santa lie. He had a different perspective than me because he was the oldest and didn't learn the truth until he was about 12. He wasn't upset when he found out the truth. He thought it was all in fun. It was late and we were laying in bed and he said Santa is not a lie. I said how so and he said he is like God, he is in all of us. That is how I feel about it too.

I do appreciate the offer to take the blame Dave. I will certainly keep that in mind. My husband and I were wondering if it was time to tell our 12 year old the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 03:20PM by pakd4fun.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: December 19, 2007 04:14PM

WHAT NO SANTA????

I have been blessed to have raised two sets of children. My first two who are 27 and 25 were raised to understand that santa was a lie the tooth fairy and easter bunney also. My intent was to teach my children to be honest by example and not to lie to them about these things.
I have a 14 yrold and a ten year old also. My ten year old believes in santa and the tooth fairy. Even though one should not lie but one should be creative and not squelch creative thought, especially with children.
Both sets of my children are honest and truthfull they understand that santa is not real. Santa was a real saint who gave gifts to children and the story grew throughout the years. The majic of christmass should not be lost. The spirit of giveing and shareing should not be forgotten. Santa is a symbol of this to me. That saint, so many years in the past gave to his neighbors and that spirit of giveing is renewed each winter. WE should cary on with that spirit throughout the year but december is the time to renew that thought.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 19, 2007 07:11PM

Though I do not have kids, as a young man I would say that growing up I actually quite enjoyed the Santa clause 'lie'. Although, thinking back on it, they presented it more as a myth or fable.

I was always thrilled by the idea of Santa, and I actually enjoyed the personal discovery that he didn't exist. It was like a big game, and when I discovered the 'truth' I won the game. smiling smiley

When I have kids I will present them with the idea of Santa, and explain that some believe he exists. - Weather or not they choose to support and live that idea is their choice.

People choose to believe in numerous lies everyday. -Ignorance is bliss!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 20, 2007 07:34AM

i don't like being mentally manipulated
i know someone who has gained over sixty pounds ( and it shows) and she keeps asking me

" Do I look fat?
Am I fat?
Do I look like I gained any weight?"

At first I just shrugged my shoulders and didn't answer her. Then, as she got more insistent, I finally had to be pointed and say " Look! You need to stop asking me those kinds of questions because they are manipulative."

She hasn't asked me those questions since.

If I said " NO", it would be obvious to BOTH of us that I was lying.

If I said "YES", it would make me look like mean and insensitive.

It was a no win situation and I wasn't about to fall for THAT game.

Sometimes the person who is asking the question can be more deceitful than the person answering them.

Lies go deeper than just words. Someone can be telling the "truth" but LYING through their TEETH due to their INTENT.

Here is a scenario:

Let's say person A is jealous about person B's (rawfood) diet because person A is a McDonald's burger scarfing, french fry guzzling, ice cream imbibing kind of a guy.

In order to make himself feel better, he will say "TRUTH"ful things about person B in gossip sessions about this or that about person B's personal affairs. Sure, it may be true that person B is

1) afraid of heights
2) was just dumped by his wife for an international bodybuilder (err.. just an example, heh)
3) went bankrupt due to his paying oodles of money to the "Club for Men" to
"rejuvenate" his bald spot in a vain attempt to get his wife back

Yes, person A could be telling the "TRUTH" but the GREATER truth is that Person A is just trying to prop up his OWN faltering ego by pointing to the imperfections of person B thus in essence, person A is

L
Y
I
N
G

not so much about the "details" about person B's life but the fact that he is covering up his own gaping insecurities by pointing to person B's weaknesses.

Is this not also a LIE?

Also, I think that telling a "LIE" is , in some cases, takes a LOT of INTEGRITY and is more honest than the "truth" itself.

For instance, let's say a woman meets a shifty looking man who has just revealed that he has gotten out of jail for violent acts as well as serial burglaries and is suffering from heroin addiction. He then asks her " Do you live in this area?"

If she says "No, I'm from out of town." Sure, a person can go " tsk tsk, she just LIED."

or, a person can question the INTENT of giving out INFORMATION

If instead, she thinks to herself " My momma told me never to lie." and tells the
ex convict " I live in the blue and white house down the block... the one with the green windmill on top of the roof next to the silver Honda."

I would say that her fear made her act BENEATH her integrity. To have integrity means to have courage to PROTECT oneself from harm. She had far more integrity ( in my opinion) by telling the ex convict that she lived " out of town" because in doing so, that would protect her home ( and her family, if she had any) from potential harm.

Of course, she could have just said " I'm not going to tell you."

In this case , she wouldn't have had to lie but if you are dealing with CERTAIN people, that could rouse their "curiosity" and put her in graver danger.

I've contemplated this issue quite a bit. I think that the ESSENCE of lie has more to do with intent than anything else.

Her intent in "lying" would have been
1) protection of self
2) protection of family

Her reason for telling the "truth" may have been

1) fear of "lying" because " my momma told me never ever to lie."
2) fear of "looking dishonest"

her telling the "truth" could make her end up a dead person

what IS a lie?

the better question is this:

What rights does a person have to privacy and protection?

In this day and age, privacy and protection is not something just GIVEN

it is something that must be given to oneself.

Those who don't understand this will give total strangers all and every bit of information about themselves and then wonder why they are in such a predicament.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2007 07:36AM by la_veronique.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: December 20, 2007 09:26AM

la_veronique wrote

''the better question is this:

What rights does a person have to privacy and protection?

In this day and age, privacy and protection is not something just GIVEN

it is something that must be given to oneself.

Those who don't understand this will give total strangers all and every bit of information about themselves and then wonder why they are in such a predicament.''

I totally agree la_veronique!

I you dont want people to know...
Dont tell them!!!!!
My motto, which my family says, will end up on my grave stone........!

In my experience, what some people dont actually know about you they will make up anyway!
WHATEVER,you do or dont tell, people still gossip, but if people are kept busy 'chewing you over', then they are temporarily leaving someone else alone and giving them a break!Ha!

Blessings
Lorretta

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: December 20, 2007 09:53AM

awww what you mean theres no Santa!!! awww please it can't be true there is too a Santa!!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 20, 2007 10:52AM

I find the Buddhist idea of "Right Speech" to be similar in some way to the Jewish prohibition against Loshon Hora.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

SELECTED HALACHOS OF LOSHON HORA

(Selected Laws of Slander or Evil Tongue)

From "Guard Your Tongue" ... by the Chofetz Chayim.

Loshon Hora (the evil tongue ... or slander) is considered among the Jewish people as one of the worst sins imaginable ... one almost tantamount to murder in that the good name, livelihood, reputation, etc. can all be destroyed by a single word, look, expression. Therefore, we have laws in great detail explaining all the ramifications of slander ... all its appearances and some ways of rectifying the results ... knowing that full restitution is not always possible ... the results are then left between the perpetrator, the victim, and G-d.

The laws might appear to be complicated ... but just give them some serious thought, and the many ramifications of law will become apparent ... and most interesting ... Jewish law truly is a sea of wisdom.

SPEAKING LOSHON HORA TO A GROUP OF PEOPLE

You are forbidden to relate loshon hora to a single individual or to a group. The larger the group that hears your loshon hora the graver your sin, since the victim will be degraded in the eyes of more people ... Furthermore, a larger number of people have sinned by hearing your loshon hora.

LOSHON HORA THAT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE

Many people mistakenly think that repeating well-known derogatory information is not considered loshon hora. Quite the contrary, it should be made clear that many halachic (legal) authorities do not differentiate between loshon hora that is well known from loshon hora that is not well known. However, there is a lenient opinion which holds that if someone speaks loshon hora in the presence of three of more people and they subsequently repeat this information, these people are not guilty of speaking loshon hora. The original speaker has of course sinned.

LOSHON HORA THAT THE SPEAKER WOULD RELATE EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF THE SUBJECT

If you feel that you would relate loshon hora even if the subject were present, it is still forbidden. Even if you have criticized the subject right to his face, you are still forbidden to repeat the derogatory information to others.

LOSHON HORA STATED IN THE PRESENCE OF THE SUBJECT

Speaking loshon hora about someone in his presence is very serious ... even if your sole intention in mentioning his faults is to criticize him constructively ... Corrective comments should be delivered privately. Offending someone publicly is loshon hora and constitutes a grave sin ... You may also be guilty of causing him humiliation and mortification.

GIVING PEOPLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

If at all feasible you should give people the benefit of the doubt. If you relate an incident, not giving the benefit of the doubt in circumstances which obligate you to do so, you would be guilty of speaking loshon hora, and thus failing to perform the commandment b'tzedek tishpot amisecho ... "Judge your neighbor with righteousness."

Continued at

[www.geocities.com]

For more information

[www.google.com]

Date: December 20, 2007 12:27PM

that is very interesting Lee
to put a spotlight on one's "tongue" and be guarded about how one speaks about others

it is true
that slander can take away a person's reputation, destroy relationships, ruin jobs, or even land them in jail

to say " I don't care about what people say about me" (especially if it is malicious and false) is interesting. I always wondered what that really meant. Does it mean that they are:

1) a trillionaire and don't care if they lose their job ( because they don't need it)?
2) have a spouse or significant other that automatically believes "their story" even if they have heard false slanderous gossip that their loved one is "cheating on them"
3) can "walk through walls" ( prison walls, that is... if they were falsely accused of a crime they did not commit)

Sure there are gradations and I am just pointing out the extremes in terms of slander but it really can have serious repurcussions.

It is amazing what one little lie can accomplish. Words are powerful beyond belief. In one fell swoop, words can have the power to

1) initiate eternal relationships ( think " i love you"winking smiley
2) destroy decades of marriage ( think " i hate you"winking smiley
3) bridge and heal years of sorrow and anger ( think 'I'm sorry"winking smiley

i'm glad that some religions have rules or at least profound observations concerning the ramifications of what one says

the united states ought to follow suit as far as what it chooses to display in the media/magazines etc.

so much slander, gossip etc in the news
when i am standing in line in certain stores , i literally have to make a concerted effort to NOT look at the zillions of LIES ( and gossip) that are emblazoned on the headlines of magazines

it is like a mental violation to be subjected to such disgusting drivel

and
also i'm thinking how sad that the gifts of potentially great journalists are reduced to drumming out such insignificant fluff. its like throwing talent down the drain as well as taking down the intelligence of the public down by several notches

if LOSHON HORA would be implemented in the american media, ... geez, i'm wondering, would we even HAVE a media? LOL smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2007 02:55PM

"to say " I don't care about what people say about me" (especially if it is malicious and false) is interesting. I always wondered what that really meant."

ver, do you not think that could be translated to say that one doesn't wish to argue with the reality of what someone else has said? the not caring is another way of not resisting what has occurred. though not caring is a bit more active than a simple not minding or not concerning. in fact, it is the opposite of caring, is it not? i suppose for me, i can't find the energy to actively oppose someone saying something about me. if it is said, then it's out there. caring about it one way or another won't change that and only serves to consume me.

"i'm wondering, would we even HAVE a media?" what would they report on then? ha, they would all have to find something a bit more worthwhile than the endless talk about britney spears and the like. heavens, the demise of society as we know it!

Date: December 20, 2007 03:08PM

I read to my son the story of how Santa Claus got his name. There is a book I borrowed from the library (can't remember the name) but it told the story of St. Nick back in the 1800's who was wealthy and tried to give his money to his needy neighbors. When the doors were locked he went down their chimneys. Until one day he was caught. His name was Nickolaus, but he became a saint for being so giving.

I told my son at 2 years old, that Santa wasn't real. His father was very angry with me for ruining the fun in Christmas. But now, my son at 8 years old ask's me every question and knows I won't lie to him.

Date: December 20, 2007 04:55PM

i don't get this, how is the "fun in christmas" ruined by that? and does that mean the fun is ruined for all children when they find out? ruined for adults? i don't think so. the fun in christmas was Never dependant on believing a fairy tale.

and your 8 y/o trusting you? now that's the point right there. if i never lie to him, he'll never think that i am. it's not enough to just not get caught lying, i think energetically it breeds a feeling of insecurity and distrust even if you don't get "caught". it's about intention and if your intention is honest that shines through.

david, i have been thinking about what you said about it not being a big, traumatic deal and i do think that this is often the case. but for me, when i found out it was a traumatic and life changing revelation. it doesn't take much to change the mind or the life of a small person, to have a big impact. it shook me up in a most unpleasant way and my sense of security was shot. this i clearly remember.

Date: December 20, 2007 06:21PM

coco:

<<ver, do you not think that could be translated to say that one doesn't wish to argue with the reality of what someone else has said? the not caring is another way of not resisting what has occurred. though not caring is a bit more active than a simple not minding or not concerning. in fact, it is the opposite of caring, is it not? i suppose for me, i can't find the energy to actively oppose someone saying something about me. if it is said, then it's out there. caring about it one way or another won't change that and only serves to consume me.>>

true, i understand that particular perspective and of course it is valid and has its merits. you are correct in stating that once something has been said, it can't really be retracted and it is a waste of time trying to "oppose" what someone says about you UNLESS ( and I was referring to extreme cases in my above post)

your LIFE depends on opposing what someone else has said about you. there are such things as capital punishment where people are electrocuted in chairs after having been falsely accused of a crime they did not commit due to slanderous "words". they BETTER make an effort to oppose what has been said otherwise they may end up on death row. unless... of course, they simply don't care.

if they wish to save their marriage , they BETTER make a concerted effort to communicate the TRUTH to their significant other and oppose the lies and slander otherwise their spouse may simply just walk out on them. one might say " well, if your spouse really loves you, they would believe you." however, one must CARE enough FIRST by stating one's point of view to oppose the slander in order to be believed and that does take "caring" .

if an employee has been falsley accused of stealing money at their workplace, they BETTER care about what has been said and take an active stance to oppose the slander otherwise they will lose their job.

i think there are TWO levels to this and i understand which level you are talking about. pretty much you are saying that if YOU know who YOU are, it really shouldn't matter what others say about you. yes, i agree and this is very much true HOWEVER... whether or not you "care" about what other people have said about you, if one doesn't take a stance to actively oppose it, one could potentially end up losing their

1) job
2) relationship
3) life

so... yeah, there really is much more at stake than someone making stabs at your hairdo ( like they do to Donald Trump ), or saying " geeeez. so and so really isn't such a nice person"

if someone didn't like my hair style or think i'm not such a nice person , it wouldn't really phase me ONE iota. It isn't my job to get my hair cut ( i prefer it to be long btw) to a certain style to appease someone's "taste" nor do I really care if people think I am a "nice" person.

but that isn't the type of "slander" i was talking about
the type of slander i was talking about ( which i enumerated prior) is pretty difficult to ignore and not take an active stance unless the person just simply doesn't care about their relationship, job or life

which is why i think that laws against slander is a sign that people understand the impact of a few spoken words and how one ought to be careful with what one says

which goes back to your original topic of "When is it OK to lie"?

my answer is : its okay for everyone to come up with their own conclusions

as for the santa thing: i am so HAPPY and grateful that i was able to believe in that LIE of santa... because it brought GREAT joy into my little ignorant heart LOL til i was about six years old. I'm not kidding... call me a materialistic little kid but i was almost BESIDES myself in excitement "believing" on the eve of christmas that reindeers were floating over the roof. Okay, so maybe i was more enchanted by the idea of flying deers than i was of santa but either way, i was SO entranced and it filled my spirit with a magic that was pretty incredible.

when a classmate of mine told me that santa didn't exist , i got confused but then immediately forgot about it and it never haunted me one bit

i am just grateful that i was able to experience that magic in my heart ( no matter how fanciful) for that short period of time ( age 4 to 6)

i couldn't conceptualize what santa or floating reindeers were prior to age 4 ( brain synapses weren't advance enough :-)

it is so interesting how people experience the same "revelation"

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: December 20, 2007 06:46PM

I was skeptical as a child but as an adult I am confident that he does exist.

[www.stormfax.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2007 06:58PM by Dulset.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 20, 2007 06:47PM

I believe my daughter feels the same way about Santa as you do, LaV. I love to see the twinkle in her eye when she talks about any aspect of it. I know her and I know she doesn't want me to tell her. I was never lucky enough to have that. By the time I knew about the fantasy I knew it was a lie.

Coco, It has occured to me that you may have been so upset about the Santa lie because your mother chronically lied to you. I remembered the exact moment I realized my mom was a liar and I could never trust her. I am not even a little bit worried that my children's trust in me and their dad witl be even a little bit compromised by Santa because of the relationship I know we have.

Date: December 21, 2007 02:50AM

i wrote a big long response and then my computer glitched out and lost it. poo. not meant to be said i suppose.

ver, i think we generally agree but may be getting mired in the semantics. caring = taking action towards positive repair rather than being overly concerned with what has already happened?
your examples caused me to think about what katie says about being grateful for everything, even a heart attack. i think it's a good state to strive towards. maybe not very practical in real every day life situations but... who's to say that man isn't on the path to his best life after his wife leaves him or he loses his job. not to say that one shouldn't strive towards goals, but enjoying the trip all the way no matter what. who knows, these are only thoughts. the rest is dire. it would take a very clear mind and steadfast intention to withstand it all with grace and good humour, that's for sure!

i got upset by something today. it took a bit of time to sort out what was really bothering me and why but i think i got it and i'm grateful for the opportunity to see things more clearly. it's still bugging me a bit but... i have time to think about it some more.

i really liked what many people here have had to say about santa and their early good memories of living and believing the fantasy. i appreciate reading that, it's put a smile on my face remembering vicariously through you.

pakd4fun, i wonder about what you said regarding my mother, the issues with her lying in general and the Big Christmas Lie. it wasn't until i was much older that i became conscious of her fibbing and that it felt heavy and wrong to me. before that i was either unaware of it or didn't know the difference. that brings me back though to my earlier thoughts about intention in your heart when you lie, how that translates energetically regardless of whether you get "caught" or not. not in relation to santa particularly, i'm sure her intention with that was purely fantastical and fun. i mean with the fibbing in general. maybe that did have an effect on me energetically when i was growing up, it left a negative residue and when i became aware of having been lied to myself it was highly distressing. tapped into those negative emotions that i had absorbed. when one lies i think it feels bad in the heart and that has to affect your vibe and thereby affect others around you.

it's interesting, so interesting to me now as a parent. makes me think about my vibrational energy and how it's affected by everything, how i am possibly passing that along to the children. much to think about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2007 02:52AM by coco.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: December 21, 2007 03:30AM

when I was a child I got into a lot of trouble at school for calling another student a liar for telling me Santa-Claus wasn't real. The teacher sent spanked me, then sent me to the principal's office who spanked me because I was still adamant in my defense of Santa-Claus.

When I got home, my mother had been called, who started admonishing me for arguing with other students, the teacher, and the principal. When I told her what the girl said, she sighed, and told me santa wasn't real. My response "So what about the tooth fairy and the easter bunny?" She dropped it all at once. My reaction "Is there anything else you've lied to me about?" I got slapped in the face and spanked.

Please tell me where the "fun of Christmas" is in all that, and what game that was the adults played? Who won? The girl who spilled the beans, the ones who punished me for standing up for my beliefs, who? It certainly wasn't me.

I'm a firm believer of not lying to your children. You don't know what difficulties you're setting them up for or how long it will take for them to get over it.

I'm always surprised at how simple we think children are in some areas but how complex we think they are in others.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: December 21, 2007 04:08AM

oh fud, i'm so sorry. especially about the slap in the face. as though finding out you've been lied to isn't slap in the face enough. your mom was probably feeling very defensive and guilty right then. not that that is an excuse, just the reason why she lashed out at you. yucky.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 21, 2007 07:43AM

I've always hated the "Santa" thing too and what I hate the most about the whole Santa fantasy is that it's used to bribe kids into being "good". "be good or you get coal in your stocking". It makes me cringe when I hear someone tell a kid that. Parents suck at parenting so use a fake story to make them be good for a month. It's along the same lines of why I also had such a hard time believing in the bible... "Be Good" according to these rules and you get rewarded with heaven! Blah. Fairy Tales.

It completely depends on what the lie is and the circumstances whether or not lying is OK. And where is the line drawn between lying or just keeping things about you private? In real life, I'm probably a compulsive liar just because it's nobody's business what I eat, do, think, feel or why I do the things that I do.. and because I don't want any crap or arguments about it. Like the other day I did a liver flush and was asked if I was "sick" and I said I ate icecream and my lactose intolerance kicked in..Rather than the truth which was that I drank 8oz of olive oil and grapefruit. If it were someone that was into this type of stuff, I wouldn't have lied.

The manipulation, scheming or planning that can go into some lies is worse than what the actual lie is. Even if it's not a major lie that would negatively effect anyone. When I've had to do this, more energy goes into making the lie work and get away with what I need to get away with.

Date: December 21, 2007 10:21AM

likeitornot

that is very profound
whether i like it or not

:-)

Date: December 21, 2007 12:16PM

oh i decided
i lLIKE it

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 21, 2007 03:02PM

lol I hope you didn't spend those 2hrs between your posts sitting here trying to decide if you liked it or not. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: December 21, 2007 09:29PM

coco,

I'm not looking for sympathy. Please forgive me if it looks that way. I felt it was a real experience worth illustrating my opinion of the matter.

I realize now, as an adult, what happened and why. I also now understand she was a young girl who was still learning the ins and outs of parenting while herself not fully grown.

I just can't stress enough how I agree, don't lie to the children and don't try to bribe them. They're capable of accepting the truth when it's presented from the get go.

Again, I apologize if it seems I'm looking for sympathy.

Glen F

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: December 21, 2007 10:01PM

glen, i didn't get that impression at all. your childhood self spoke out to me none-the-less and the mama in me responded. smiling smiley

Date: December 22, 2007 03:17PM

hey like it or not

you are funny :-)

it was actually 1 hour , 47 minutes and 15 seconds to be exact of FULL ON SITTING!! ( the ultimate meditation)

sitting and sitting trying to decide

do i

1) like it?
or

2) NOT

but

like i said

me LIKES ITTTTTT!!!!!

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: December 23, 2007 12:09AM

I like the perspective here: [www.naturalchild.org] , which states that, ultimately, the STORY of santa clause is not ruined by the fact that it isn't a true story. So, you could tell your children the story of santa clause, and they can enjoy the story, and you can act and play out the good parts of that story with them, and all without lying. The fact that I knew there weren't mermaids didn't ruin the story 'the little mermaid' for me when I was young, and didn't make it any less fun either. I remember as a child I enjoyed dressing up as santa and handing out the gifts to everyone, including myself, on christmas, but ultimately the deception of santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny did cost me a lot of confusion and feelings of emptiness while there could have been a perfectly harmonious, fun appreciation of these as stories (except for the tooth fairy, actually, which is hardly a story at all - just comfort the child when they loose their teeth.)

I also like this letter: [www.alice-miller.com] : "I don't think Christmas is very different for my children than for anyone else's. They still have gifts and a special meal, just without believing something that is not true. Some have accused my husband and me of 'robbing' our children of having a healthy fantasy and spoiling magical things for them by doing this. I think these parents unconsciously want their children to believe in Santa Claus so they can prime their little minds to accept other falsehoods as well. This would make it easier to keep the children from straying from the family's religion or other beliefs as well and possibly serve to help impair their independence when they grow up."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 12:21AM by dream earth.

Date: December 23, 2007 01:53AM

"these parents unconsciously want their children to believe in Santa Claus so they can prime their little minds to accept other falsehoods as well"

whoa, well there's a thought to ponder. very interesting. where do They get it from i wonder.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: December 24, 2007 10:11AM

i was told that Santa Claus did not exist and never believed in him. i think that was the right thing to do. The current Santa we know (jolly, fat Santa) is actually a creation of the Coca Cola company created to advertise their product. The original Santa Clause (Saint Nicholas) was depicted very differently from what I understand, although the myth about bringing the presents every Christmas I think is the same.

I think that the whole "believing in Santa" thing should not be encouraged. Lying should not be encouraged. I like the idea of teaching it as a myth because that is what it is really.

Date: December 24, 2007 11:08AM

when i was four , we heard a squeal

and as we looked up

it twas santa who had got stuck in our chimney

i hollered up " hey.. santa.. did u get me what i put on the list?"

santa said 'sorry veronique, i just came down to steal the milk and cookies"

i lit a fire

cuz i'm good like that smiling smiley

and me and my friends roasted some marshmallows all night

over the fireplace

the santa myth then disappeared in flames

and went out like ashes

never to reappear again

but i shore do miss him sometimes

it would be nice to have a jolly red faced man to buy me solar panels

do u think he would do it?

nahhh...

which is why i had to light that fire

cuz i just KNEW santa wouldn't get me the coveted solar panels when i grew up

i had to set it straight with him

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables