Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

First time for Durian
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 29, 2007 10:20AM

Aloha everyone,

After months of reading about Durian in this forum, I finally found some and tried it tonight. I enjoyed it, but the whole experience was pretty surreal. I had to meet the produce manager behind the store because they wouldn't allow Durian inside due to the smell...probably should have put it in the back of the truck for the ride home, two days later I can still smell it. The odd thing was that even though it smelled up my place for a few days, as soon as I pulled it open and tasted it, i couldn't smell it any more. I thought it tasted pretty good and I want to try some more, but I wonder about the quality since I have nothing to compare it to. Can anyone tell from the picture if it was ripe enough? Any hints on how to pick a good one?

Thanks and Aloha, Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time for Durian
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 29, 2007 11:46AM

the rind looks kind of green. I don't know much about this...but the last time I went to chinatown for one, the guy opened it for me with his hands! He just spit it down each section with his thumbs. It seems this could only be done with a ripe one. It was also the best I've had. Didn't make me naseous when I had the second haf the following day.

Is that mangosteen in the photo too?
were they good? I tried some once and was repulsed.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 29, 2007 01:45PM

I got some freeze dried durian for the first time and gotta say, it's not for me.

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 29, 2007 03:00PM

freeze dried? most of the pleasure is in the wet creamy texture.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: December 29, 2007 07:44PM

Hi Shaina,

At the instruction of the local produce guru, I let the Durian sit(outside) in a paper bag for a few days until it developed a small crack. Apparently that's when it's ripe. I probably could have separated it by hand, but the spikes were pretty sharp. I was able to insert a butter knife into the crack and gave it a small twist and it popped open. The rest of it pulled apart easily. I did expect it to be more of a wet creamy texture like you describe, but it was more paste-like and a little fiberous. I still enjoyed it, but I think I need to try some more.

And yes, that is Mangosteen also in the picture, which is one of my all-time favorites. I can't imagine them being repulsive to anyone, so you may have gotten an over ripe one. I have had some that were too ripe and sometimes they get a weird yellowish slimey-fiberous part that is not very tastey. In the picture below you can see a tiny bit of the yellow stuff at the very top of the open Mangosteen. The rest tastes incredible though. I would give it another try.

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 29, 2007 09:37PM

shaine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> freeze dried? most of the pleasure is in the wet
> creamy texture.

Apparently soaking it takes it back to how it was before - will try this, but wasn't overly keen on the taste to be honest.

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: December 30, 2007 03:04AM

Your durian definitely looks pretty dry and rather pale - I've had one like that before, and it wasn't the best. You may just have to try again. Was this a local durian? I've been really wanting to find one lately myself.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 30, 2007 04:00AM

Bravo for taking the first plunge! My first few experiences with the King were not at all enjoyable so it sounds like you're off to a better start than I was. Now durian is one of my faves. Eventually you may start to experience the "durian high". Ripe durian is nice and creamy in texture (not chewy) and sweet, although some Thai folks enjoy underripe durian.

How available is durian in Hawaii?

I love that freeze-dried stuff. But it's dangerous to have a bag of it cuz I'll eat the whole thing. It reminds me of some kind of candy I used to eat. I've never tried soaking it....that sounds kinda weird but now that I've heard of it I'll probably have to give it a go next time.

Love,
Uma

Date: December 30, 2007 09:59PM

Hi Dream Earth and Uma,

Yes this was a local Durian. I hear that they grow on the Hana side of the island which is the most lush and tropical part of Maui. This was the first time that I've seen it available in my health food store, but I just found out that there is a guy at the local swap meet that has them much cheaper along with lots of other cool fruit...I hear they make him set up his table off in a corner somewhere because of the odor.
I will definitely try it again. Uma, where do you get the freeze-dried stuff? Is it at a health-food store or an Asian market? I've never seen it, but then again, I've never really looked either.

Does anyone have any hints on how to choose a good one? Anything to look for?

I'll post my thoughts on my second attempt.

Thanks and Aloha, Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2007 10:00PM by MauiGreg.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 31, 2007 04:02AM

I found the freeze-dried stuff at an Asian market in Seattle. They also have it on this website but with shipping it's pretty expensive (I did it once).

I don't know a lot about choosing the perfect ripe durian because most of my experience is with frozen durian which is pretty much tree-ripened and then frozen immediately. With fresh I know that green outside is less ripe and tan/brown is more ripe. Also one trick I learned at a Thai market: if you want to check to see if a fresh durian is ripe yet, cut a small triangle out of one of the pods but leave enough attached so you can flip it open and close it again if necessary. Then stick your finger inside and poke. If it's soft and creamy then you can open the durian but if it's still hard, you can re-close the flap and the durian will continue to ripen. Neato. There's also criteria like certain sounds made when you tap the pod (to indicate how full/ripe the pod is) but I don't have enough savy with those skills yet.

Love,
Uma

Date: January 02, 2008 07:29PM

Thanks Uma, I'll try some of the asian markets here and I'm going to the swap meet this weekend to pick up some more fresh ones. I'll try the finger poking method too.

Thanks again and happy new year.

Aloha nui loa, Greg

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: January 07, 2008 09:39PM

I FINALLY GOT ONE!

I didn't really like it but at least I can say I tried a little of it. It was scary. Hahaha.

Posted by: rawbryan ()
Date: January 08, 2008 02:27AM

Hmmm that is small durian! I have seen a lot and they are usually a lot bigger...that is the first small one so not sure how ripe it is? Usually bigger = riper. Also I noticed you use plastic cutting board, I try to recommend wood because when you cut on plastic small chips of plastic will get into your food which you eat!

I try to use Bamboo Cutting boards, they use good grade glue too, and they are pretty cheap while being Eco/Green...smiling smiley

Bryan Au
[www.RawInTen.com]

Re: First time for Durian (bamboo cutting boards)
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2008 10:23PM

Forgive me for being off-topic, but I found the term "bamboo cutting boards" through a google alert notification. As an 'aging' (experienced) woodworker specializing in wood cutting boards (among other things), I feel compelled to respond to bamboo products being green. Or safe for that matter.

I spent some time researching the matter and discovered that:

-Bamboo products are constructed with formaldehyde binders, or the "glue" that holds them together. Most are provided courtesy of the same folks that sold us lead-tainted children's toys and plastic-tainted pet food.

-As Asian market share increases for bamboo products, ecosystems are destroyed to make way for more plantings. Commercial bamboo horticulture involves an intensive use of various chemicals.

I can't argue about them being cheap, but safety and environmental friendliness appear to be marketing myths. A link detailing my research and experience with bamboo is imbedded in the URL below

Lee Chesson
[www.leechesson.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables