Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Greens vs. Fruit
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: December 29, 2007 02:57PM

On a daily basis I have been eating fruit all day (sweet fruit) banannas,apples,grapes etc and for dinner a big green salad with an avacado topped with diced organic tomatoes. And during the day Ive felt pretty good but not 100% so I reversed things and began eating just greens during the day with a small amount of fruit and MAJOR difference!! I am bouncing off the walls now and sleeping less as well! I get up before my alarm goes off now and this didnt happen before I usually would hit the snooze a couple times, now I just fly out of bed! During the day I eat spinach,romaine,lettuce,herb mix,baby spring mix,kale,and just maybe a bananna or 2, before I was eating about 6 or 8 banannas a day and 3 or 4 apples and handfulls of grapes but now its more greens and less fruit and I still have the big salad for dinner and this has seriously made a difference in my energy levels so it appears I need more greens and also I CRAVE them now. I just eat them with nothing on them no salad dressing just plain and I could never do that when i was on the SAD diet if I was to eat a salad which was rare for me then I had to goop it with ranch or thousand island bacon bits seeds etc to eat it but now I love it just plain! So for me its more greens and less fruit, dont get me wrong I love fruit but Im really liking the greens now.
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greens vs. Fruit
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: December 29, 2007 03:02PM

I found the same thing happened to me when I emphasized greens...but yet I crave fruits eventually. makes me want to experiment...

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 29, 2007 05:15PM

As you progress things change, things may eventually be the opposite you feel now in 2 years as a greens ratio to fruit. Seasons will effect these desires also as well as quality of fruit, etc., etc. All part of the interesting journey :O)

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 29, 2007 05:17PM

I don't think anyone can eat a mostly greens diet for more than a short period of time. If they say it's mostly greens, it's either

-extremely low in calories, which means they would lose weight or starve to death if they kept it up indefinitely
-extremely high in fat

If I need 1500 calories a day and I get most (51%) of my calories from greens, this comes out to be *at least* 7 heads (6.2 kg or over 13 lbs) of romaine per day or equivalent. That's impossible to keep up, not to mention very expensive.

Fruit based diets are more tractable, based on our physiology. But that is not to say modern cultivars with excessive fructose are the best choices for fruit.

Edited to add: I don't think anyone really needs to pursue more than 3 lbs of greens per day. 1 lb for a small person and 2 lbs for a large person ought to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2007 05:21PM by arugula.

Posted by: claire ()
Date: December 29, 2007 06:46PM

After reading all the great threads on this forum I am starting to re-introduce fruit after several weeks of veg only (type 1 diabetic experimenting with the best way to control blood sugar!). Had some banana for breakfast this morning - tasted really good but I'm still nervous about getting too much fruit sugar..I feel safer with veg.

Went to a raw food cafe for the first time today...Vita Organic in London. Wow! Had a gorgeous plate of salad for £5 and couldn't even finish it, had to get it boxed up to take away. Then went straight to the bookshop to buy a raw food recipe book.

Can't wait to use up all the cooked stuff in my cupboards so I can go totally raw!

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2008

Claire

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: December 29, 2007 09:54PM

I still eat fruit, just way more greens,I was eating quite a bit of fruit before during the day but I also have a physically demanding job so I need the energy, but i found i did better eating more greens and less fruits, I am getting the book "Green For Life" by Victoria Boutenko. And as far as calories...I dont care about calories and i never count them or anything like that i just eat till full and thats it. I used to eat till I was bloated and in pain but now just when full then I stop. Personally I could care less about calories, ever see a bear out there counting calories or a gorilla, a chimp? for real? to me its all about getting full on healthy greens and or fruit or both, not gorging and being a pig when eating, and Im not saying any of this to offend anyone its just my "opinion" and thats all, and preferabally one thing at a time like mono meals, I read somewhere on another forum where it said" You dont see a bear grabbing a couple of salmon then proceeding to run into the woods to grab some twiggs & berries to make a sandwich now do you?" Its true, one thing at a time and that cracks me up everytime I think about it!!
Rob

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 29, 2007 11:49PM

>i did better eating more greens and less fruits,

It doesn't matter if you think calories don't matter. They still exist. You were still getting *way* more energy from your fruits than greens. The calorie is a unit of energy.

When people *say* they eat more greens than fruit, what they really mean is that they have increased their green intake compared to previous. That's most likely an increase of a couple of percent compared to previous and still not a very significant contributor to the overall diet, except for certain micronutrients.

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: December 30, 2007 08:30AM

Thanks roadrunner... always good to learn of other peoples experiences.. I've definately noticed that when I eat loads of fruit and not enough greens I start feeling... depleted ( for want of a better word ). Sorta washed out.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 30, 2007 10:49AM

I mainly eat all fruits, I have greens maybe once a week. I feel a lot better, more enery, vibrant etc eating fruit.

Saying that I am juicing atm..so its weird to be having a few heads of celery and greens juiced per day..seems to give different feeling to eating the greens.. just a thought..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables