Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

oxalates? Is it possible to eat toomany greens?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2008 05:27AM

Hi rawfooders and others! I began reading about this kind of eating some time ago. I have read Eat to live, The China Study and many others. I had quite a bit of success this past summer eating huge salads. However I am 70 miles from a decent grocery store and I can no longer get quite the variety I had then. So my latest gambit is green smoothies. My question is should I be careful of what greens I am putting in my smoothies? Should I be careful of oxalates. I am not prone to kidney stones. However I had a painful episode 10 years ago. However I was eating lots of softserve ice cream, cheddar cheese and meat products. If I continue to abstain from the animal products does that offer me any protection from oxalates or am I worrying about something that really doesn't happen to rawfooders. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oxalates? Is it possible to eat toomany greens?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 01, 2008 06:34AM

I have never heard of anyone eating too many greens. If you are eating all raw foods, your body will tell you when you've eaten too many greens. If you reach this state, the greens will simply appear unappealing to you, and you will not be able to put them into your mouth or even want to consider eating them.

What help this mechanism work is to eat simply. If you are making a lot of green smoothies, perhaps this might mask this property of the foods. Or perhaps if your salads are loaded with salad dressing, the signal to quit eating might not be as powerful.

But in my experience, when I am saturated with greens, I quit desiring them until my body once again needs them.

Kidney stones and kidney problems in general have to do with eating too much protein.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 01, 2008 07:12AM

I agree with Bryan, that stones are created when one has too much protein which includes meats of course, but also dairy and too much calcium in relation to imbalance of minerals.

Eating greens, several lbs. a day is a good way to get a balance of minerals and proteins.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 01, 2008 07:59AM

normal walker said that u only have to worry about oxalic acids if you are cooking the greens

what are other people's view on this?

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: January 03, 2008 10:23AM

apple cider vinegar will take care of kidney stones.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 03, 2008 12:10PM

I agree with Bryan and the above posts. I think eating HUGE amounts of greens....will be self-regulating.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: January 03, 2008 06:37PM

The oxalic acid issue is one of the reasons why it is important to have variety in our greens and rotate through them.

See this article by Victoria Boutenko for more information [www.rawbc.org].

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2008 06:37PM by karennd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables