Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to Live 100 Years-Plus (From Paul Nison new book, "The Formula for Health"winking smiley
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:56PM

How to Live 100 Years-Plus (From Paul's new book, "The Formula for Health"winking smiley

One of my greatest inspirations is Luigi Cornaro, an Italian nobleman and playwright who lived between 1464 and 1566. Cornaro lived the charmed life of his class, and got away with eating rich food until age 35, when he grew ill. His physician advised him to modify his diet, to eat and drink minimal amounts of food and wine, and to concentrate on those that were easiest to digest. He came to realize that no one could know his body better than he could, and eventually he decided to take responsibility for his own health. He observed that overeating clearly was the cause of the long-term health problems of the people around him. He decided to cut back on his food intake.

Luigi had begun to live what he called the "temperate, moderate or simple life,” which he wrote about in his 1558 book, Trattato de la vita sobria, or “Treatise on the Simple Life.” He ate only 12 ounces a day of solid foods, divided into two meals, with 14 ounces of light wine, also divided into two servings. Within a few months on his new diet, Luigi’s health improved remarkably. Shortly after his new life of wisdom, clarity and health, he married, had a daughter and eventually 11 healthy grandchildren, the joy of his advanced years.

Luigi believed in consuming the best-quality and most easily digestible foods in small amounts. (This is exactly what The Health Formula prescribes.) He enjoyed excellent health on this minimal regimen for 45 years. He ate a little meat (all cattle were free-range and grass-fed in those days) but only in very small portions on special occasions; he would eat one egg yolk, vegetable soup, coarse, unrefined bread, salads, small quantities of locally grown fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables and slightly fermented wine. (It’s important to understand that, in those days, wine was not bottled as it is today but was kept in barrels; and since it was drunk in the same year the grapes were harvested, it contained only a fraction of today’s high alcohol percentages.) Neither fish nor chicken agreed with Luigi, so he avoided them.

At age 85, even though he was happy and satisfied with the way he was eating, his “well-meaning” relatives were not: They implored him to eat more. Finally, to stop their incessant badgering and to appease them, he increased the amount of his food from 12 to 14 ounces and his wine from 14 to 16 ounces. There were dire consequences: Within 12 days, he developed a high fever.

He knew exactly what had caused him to become ill–too much food–so he once again restricted his calorie intake. After three days of smaller meals, his health returned.

At age 95, Luigi Cornaro had all his faculties intact: His judgment, memory, and joyful spirit were undiminished, and he continued a healthy life on small quantities of food and drink. He retained all his senses, no memory loss–even his eyesight and hearing had grown keener with the years. In his 90’s, he studied singing and horseback riding, and, to the end of his days, led an active life.

Until his death, he continued to try to persuade his friends and family of the healthfulness of small meals, and as a perfect guarantee of physical, mental and emotional happiness.

It’s important to note that all food was of higher-quality in mid-sixteenth century Europe than today’s commercial fare. It was entirely organic, and there were no packaged foods, no processed foods, and no supplements. None of the plants native to the Americas–coffee, cacao, tobacco, cane sugar, corn, peanuts, potatoes, tomatoes–had yet been imported, so it wasn’t until the 19th century that many wealthy Europeans had become addicted to the first four. There were no distilled beverages, no sodas, no processed candies, no white flour or white rice. Natural herbal remedies were the medications most people relied on; there were no petroleum products, no plastics, no factory farming. The world was still truly green, not commercially and environmentally challenged.

*If you liked this article, more information about the harmful causes of overeating is covered in Paul's new book "The Formula for Health. If you are interested in purchasing the book, please go to www.rawlife.com by clicking here .

More about these e-newsletters...

Welcome to a new issue of the The Raw Life Health Newsletter, brought to you by Raw Food Promoter Paul Nison (www.paulnison.com) and Raw Life Inc. In these newsletters, you’ll find information about health and nutrition.

This newsletter is for everyone interested in achieving the highest quality health from a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual standpoint. We believe the highest quality food should be raw, ripe, fresh, live and organic, however we also believe health is more than just diet.

We do not exclude anyone who does not fully agree with our message. We want to help support anyone interested in improving the quality of their life. Whatever path you may chose we want you to know we are here to support you and welcome your suggestions and comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Live 100 Years-Plus (From Paul Nison new book, "The Formula for Health"winking smiley
Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 19, 2008 12:48AM

Sorry but that "Luigi age story" sounds like the usual Norman Walker/Paul Bragg age stories. If you look at Wikipedia, his birth year/age at death appears to be all over the ballpark. And sometimes he's called "Alvise".

Re: How to Live 100 Years-Plus (From Paul Nison new book, "The Formula for Health"winking smiley
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 19, 2008 05:54AM

Luigi Cornaro must have been an unusual man. He only got into trouble
when he listened to other people about the amount of food he should be
eating. I find it interesting that he lived so long (was it 103?) eating
foods most of us would call unfit.....like bread, meat, and wine. It
was strictly the amount he ate that improved his Health and increased
his Life.......WY

Posted by: khale ()
Date: January 19, 2008 02:07PM

KFCA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry but that "Luigi age story" sounds like the
> usual Norman Walker/Paul Bragg age stories. If
> you look at Wikipedia, his birth year/age at death
> appears to be all over the ballpark. And
> sometimes he's called "Alvise".

Sorry, but, so what?

So he lived to be 98 instead of 103 - who cares?

It seems intuitive that eating less would assist in living better and longer - and that's what we all want, right? to live better and longer?

I enjoyed this excerpt from Mr. Nisons' new book. I may just check it out...

khale

Date: January 19, 2008 08:27PM

On the other hand, maybe he only lived to 82, or even 62? Sounds like a "nobody really knows" situation...so why report it as "fact"??

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 20, 2008 07:58AM

I don't understand the intent of the story myself. It seems to me to be a 'story' told as fiction and not fact, and I don't care if he ate like a bird, he still ate the things we don't want to include in our raw plant based diets.

What is the "Health Formula" anyway? And since when are self promoting posts to sell books allowed on here? I thought that was a no no? I'm just wondering..that's all.

Love,
Prism

Date: January 20, 2008 03:54PM

Maybe CR (Calorie Restriction) should be a part of everyones Diet, regardless of what is eaten. I find myself being a bit overweight now eating very nutritious Green Smoothies. It's strictly a Volume Issue......WY

Date: January 21, 2008 12:01PM

KFCA wrote:

"On the other hand, maybe he only lived to 82, or even 62? Sounds like a "nobody really knows" situation...so why report it as "fact"??"

I see what you mean. If longevity is the topic then perhaps how long the dude actually lived is relevant. But from my perspective exactly how long a person lives is never relevant because its not duplicable or controllable. If you or I ate exactly the way this man ate we still could not guarantee that we would live as long as he did, whether 62 or 102....see what I mean?

The quality of life and health is more relevant to me than the timespan because that can be duplicated. We are all enough alike that what is good for one will usually benefit another. How long a person lives is an individual matter - something no one has any control over. Why get hung up there?

Date: January 21, 2008 05:08PM

Yes, no guarantees.

My husband left an hour ago for Lake Tahoe, CA & down-hill skiing. He'll be 80 (that's 8-0) on May 30 of this year (which means he'll be able to ski free at even more resorts).

And he eats everything, including meat twice a day.

Don't know what that "proves" though...

Date: January 21, 2008 11:44PM

KFCA wrote:

"My husband left an hour ago for Lake Tahoe, CA & down-hill skiing. He'll be 80 (that's 8-0) on May 30 of this year (which means he'll be able to ski free at even more resorts).

And he eats everything, including meat twice a day.

Don't know what that "proves" though..."

It proves that he's a very fortunate man ; )

khale

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 22, 2008 01:35AM

Sometimes I feel that calorie restriction is just another name for "eating when really hungry".

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: January 22, 2008 01:43AM

rawgosia Wrote:
> Sometimes I feel that calorie restriction is just
> another name for "eating when really hungry".

I have a new way of eating. I feel my stomach and if it's Flat, I eat, if there's a 'Bulge', I don't......WY

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 22, 2008 03:57AM

I like that. I have been noticing lately that if I eat when my tummy is already bulging, it doesn't feel so good but if I wait till it flattens out to eat again, I feel much better. Doesn't build up/get backed up nearly as much.

I agree that volume has a lot to do with it. I don't even know if it's just calorie restriction because I could still hurt myself overeating on lettuce all day! (Yes, I've done that and Yes, I'm weird.)

Love,
Uma

Date: January 22, 2008 04:42AM

uma Wrote:
> I agree that volume has a lot to do with it. I
> don't even know if it's just calorie restriction
> because I could still hurt myself overeating on
> lettuce all day! (Yes, I've done that and Yes, I'm
> weird.)

That's not so Weird. The Healthiest person I
know eats Lettuce all day long (along with a very healthy
Raw Diet). She also exercises twice a day......WY

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 22, 2008 04:49AM

"I have a new way of eating. I feel my stomach and if it's Flat, I eat, if there's a 'Bulge', I don't......WY"

Lol!!! I should try this neat trick. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 22, 2008 05:31AM

I guess what I meant was weird, was managing to hurt myself with lettuce!
Love,
Uma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables