Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

weight training questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 07, 2008 10:37PM

Hi all, I'm new to raw food (today is my 8th day). I am a serious weight trainer, spend a lot of time in the gym but need help and direction. Although I have been eating all raw, I'm still taking some supplements(creatine, glucosamine, and glutamine). The problem(at least one of them) is that I'm completely exhausted before I finish training. I'm still learning about what to eat and how much and would eventually like to get off the supp's. Any advice to help with diet since training requires more food, more protein, carbs etc... I need to "fix" this exhaustion and would like to quit the supp's eventually so any help would be appreciated- advice or direction. Thanks a bunch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight training questions
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 07, 2008 11:03PM

Hi Davino,

There was a guy who used to post here a lot, who is a raw fitness guru (in my opinion anyway). He's a pretty amazing guy and has his own website dedicated to raw fitness. I know he posts videos on youtube too. This is the link [www.fruitarianfitness.com]

good luck and welcome to raw.

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 07, 2008 11:21PM

check out:
richard blackman [www.fruitarianfitness.com]
charley abel [charliesgym.info]
storm talifero & shannon oliver [www.thegardendiet.com]
robbie hazeley [www.raw.veganbodybuilding.org]
mike mahler (vegan, tho not raw, but some good info...) [www.mikemahler.com]
dr. douglass graham [www.foodnsport.com]
hempseed protein!

good luck!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: February 08, 2008 01:41AM

fruitarianfitness is certainly an inspiration, but he won't tell you what to eat to help with weight training. When you ask him twice, you might not get what you're looking for. But his site is motivating, and proof that it can be done.

my experience is that I am stronger and have more muscle mass than ever (I've been working out regularly w/weights for 6 or 7 years. Just in the past year, I can actually see clear improvement. I'm a faster runner now too! I don't worry too much about protein. I use hemp seed powder sometimes.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 08, 2008 04:00AM

thanks for the tips so far everyone, I'm already jumping on your suggestions. Have a great day tomorrow.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 08, 2008 10:56PM

Earlier this year when I was back in the gym after a long hiatus, I was eating like now but also adding two protein shakes (about 600 kcal) of rice protein powder (about 60 g total protein added) and fruit--most of these kcals were from fruit before my two daily 45 minute workout sessions at 630AM and 3PM.

I found that when I dropped these shakes and my afternoon workout session I lost a lot of energy and muscle mass. But I was also experiencing some personal setbacks.

I haven't replaced those kcals yet with more fruit/nuts/etc. and still haven't gained that energy and muscle back. I am only doing about 1/2 hr in the gym these days. But neither have I overcome my personal setbacks.

Soon!

The gist of it is that if you are expending more energy, you need to eat more. I could not sustain my work when I ate less.

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: February 09, 2008 12:23AM

check brendan frazier's "thrive" series. he is a serious athlete(iron man, 50km runner, etc). he gives great information in his book about diet and exercise.
although he is not completely raw he is a long time vegan. check it out.
hope this helps.
b.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables