Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
coconut oil
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 11, 2008 06:42PM

I bought some coconut oil last week for the first time and the entire bottle is almost gone!!! I consumed so much cocnut oil this week and i have no idea why.
I almost got like addicted to it (not really but thats what it felt like)
After i would eat a spoon full about 30-45 min laater i wanted to stretch and i just felt really differnt.
anyone know why?
I read that it was good for detoxing the liver and gallblader,,,,is this why i felt weird?
If it is processed then why is it some of the recipies?
is it raw?
Is it bad for me?
also i have lost about 4 lbs this week.....related?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut oil
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 11, 2008 07:32PM

You "felt" weird,

DO you have any solid proof that it did something different? Feelings are just not accurate tests for reality. Anybody can feel anything.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 11, 2008 07:54PM

I would have to respectfully disagree Suvine. I think feelings are the most accurate indicator of what is going on in our bodies. If stoner notices a different feeling after consuming coconut oil, that is an indicator that some sort of reaction is taking place, good or bad is up to us to interpret. Yes, anyone can feel anything and that is precisely why we need to develop an open communication with our bodies, because as individuals our feelings will sometimes contradict "empirical proof". Of course there is established "proof" that we can rely on, like "drinking bleach is bad for you"... probably no need to self-experiment on that one, but in regards to individual bodily reactions to natural foods, our feelings are the best guide in my opinion. Someone could provide me with all the proof in the world that a certain food was "good" for me, but if it made me feel awful I still wouldn't eat it.

Just my opinion,

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 07:55PM by MauiGreg.

Date: February 11, 2008 08:00PM

Oh yeah... and stoner, that seems like it could be an awful lot of saturated fat consumption. If you were on a relatively low fat diet before, that could be what made you feel weird, but it could have been some detox too. Try cutting it out for a few days and see how you feel. Then try using it in much smaller amounts and pay attention to how you feel.

good luck, Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: February 11, 2008 10:34PM

Did you change your diet other than that, or just start eating the oil? Meaning, was it replacing your other foods? If you were getting most of your calories from fat, that could lead to a spacey feeling and weight loss, as fat (if you dont consume any sugar with it) does not impact blood sugar. Low blood sugar can cause weight loss and spaciness.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 11, 2008 10:52PM

I bought some specifically raw coconut oil for my itchy itchy legs, and for every little bit I used on my body, I found myself eating spoonfuls at a time, and it was impossible to stop. I haven't bought another jar, just because I was getting an amount of sat fat out of this world.

It's so yummy, though. <3 It's also quite nutritious, despite the fat. You could be craving magnesium? I've switched to young coconuts, they have a fraction of the fat--and I still house them. I love them.

Coconuts!!!! <3 <3 <3

I get a very warm and happy feeling in my stomach when I eat them... like my body is saying, "Yes, yes, I need all of this!" I'll agree there is something of a coconut high.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 11, 2008 11:58PM

I can't imagine eating a spoonful of coconut oil. Blach!! I love in and on other foods though.

If a spoon of that is good to you I would suspect you are deficient in something that food contains.

My husband ate a soup about 6 months into our raw journey that was full of olive oil. He was devouring it like a mad man. It was too oily for us and we were all standing around kind of making fun of him. I don't want to get too graphic but that soup went right through him. Cleaned him out really good. I think his liver needed a detox. He has only wanted olive oil in small amounts since then. I guess he got what he needed from it.

Posted by: No5 ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:27AM

stoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is it raw?

Standard coconut oil is usually made from dried coconut. This drying process may involve high temperatures. Virgin coconut oil is usually made from fresh coconut and is more likely to be raw but you should always check with the manufacturer to be sure.

> Is it bad for me?

Coconut oil is high in saturated fat. The current mainstream nutritional advice is to reduce saturated fat and increase unsaturated omega 3 and omega 6 fat. But then there are other doctors who promote the opposite...

[raypeat.com]

I would recommend trying no fat, saturated fat, and unsaturated fat diets and observing your body. I personally get tired, break out, and have other issues when I consume significant quantities of unsaturated fat. I'm still experimenting to determine if no fat or saturated fat works better for me.

> also i have lost about 4 lbs this
> week.....related?

Coconut oil is purported to raise metabolism and improve thyroid function. I personally have noticed that my appetite increases when I include coconut oil in my diet.

Date: February 12, 2008 01:52AM

Thanks for the link to the article No5. I had been avoiding fresh coconut meat and oil for a little while because of my cholesterol, but I may rethink my strategy now.

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:17AM

I was completely in love with coconuts in the beginning of going raw. I consumed at least one young coconut a day for many, many months. My cholesterol went from unhealthy to extremely healthy after eating all of the coconuts (and my weight continued to go down)! I also went through phases of loving coconut oil (not plain on a spoon, though--never tried it that way). I was the same way...feeling like I couldn't get enough of the coconut--I felt physically excited with every case I purchased. I was actually giddy with excitement in the beginning--every fiber of my being knew I needed those coconuts.

Now, after more than a year, I still like coconuts, but it's not a love affair anymore. I don't get the physical excited feeling anymore, either. I know whatever I needed in the coconut I no longer need. I'm thankful for the time we spent together, however, and I'll always cherish it. :-P LOL

Love,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: February 12, 2008 03:34PM

Thanks for all the feed back.
yesterday i decided not to consume any and i did feel differnt. A couple times i wanted to have some..like a craving...but i stoped my self so i could see how i felt with out it.
Does peanutbutter and coconut oil contain any of the same things my body might be asking for?
Because before i went completly raw i had one of the same obsessions with peanutbutter, Spoonfull after spoonfull,
Although now looking back the peanutbutter made me feel like crap and the coconut oil did not have such a negitave effect.
just wondering!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 12, 2008 04:49PM

vitamin E?

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:01PM

suvine,

Why do you wear high heels?

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 05:02PM by EnlightenmentNow.

Date: February 12, 2008 05:14PM

Haha, stoner, maybe you and I are of similar composition! Before going totally raw, I used to eat raw peanut butter. I had my own personal jar and would just pack it down, I loved it. If people ever said anything about me being vegan or thin, my roommate would always yell, "DON'T WORRY! YOU SHOULD SEE HER EAT PEANUT BUTTER OUT OF THE JAR!!"

Then it was raw coconut butter (the oil with a bit of meat, gave it some more fiber)... It also did sit way better in my stomach than the peanut butter. I felt a little heavier after 5-6 tablespoons, but I never had any seriously ill feelings from the coconut butter. It was more of a mental concern with the crazy amounts of fat I was getting.

Young coconuts, meat and water, work the same kind of magic for me. You should really really try some, if you can! =)

Date: February 12, 2008 06:09PM

Phantom
i know what you mean. its like i feel FULL and not in a "i ate to much" kind of way but in a "im satisfied" feeling.
.....this is great...i love that the fact that someone else experances the same things i do.
Its almost like the way "convetional" food eaters say "yah that fried chicken gavve me indigestion too" hahaha
anyways,,,
I did buy a young ty coconut the other day.
But to be honest with you i have no idea what to do with it.
i know that if i cut the top then their is a milk inside. but thats about it.
How do you eat one?

Date: February 12, 2008 06:22PM

Hi Stoner,

Here is a video that shows how to open a coconut ,but this one is a better video if you're starting with a thai coconut from the store.

And the liquid inside is actually just coconut water... coconut milk is made from blending the water with the coconut meat and straining out the pulp. Depending on the maturity of the coconut, the meat inside could be a thin gelatinous layer when young (I call it spoon meat because you can eat it with a spoon)... or it could be up to a 1/2 inch thick, solid white meat when older. I always break the shell into several pieces and then separate it from the shell with a butter knife. Definitely use something dull because there is a big chance that it could slip as the meat dislodges from the shell. i love eating it right out of the shell... you could make noodles with it by slicing it really thin too. i also like to squeeze some lime juice over it and let it sit for an hour or so...great snack!

Have fun.

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 06:34PM by MauiGreg.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:25PM

Hey everyone,
I am a new raw fooder...I had a question about coconuts...first off, since I am not in a tropical place where they grow I had never considered to include them in my diet. Now, I am reading so much about them in the raw food recipes that I am thinking of shopping for some. What do I buy? Dried, shredded,milked?
thanks for any help with this.
Sunflowergirl

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: February 12, 2008 08:11PM

I add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil into my smoothies, I can't stand eating it by itself.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 12, 2008 08:42PM

Awesome i am going to go home and open my coconut.
So its ok to eat the brown hairy ones>?
i thought just the young ty ones were good.

Posted by: Leesah ()
Date: February 12, 2008 08:49PM

I have a book at home called "The Coconut Miracle." It was a gift and I've only skimmed through it. I do know that it says you will lose weight when eating lots of coconut juice/oil (despite the fact its loaded in saturated fat). It provided some "scientific" reason, but I can't remember what it was. When I get home, I can try to find the book and see what it says specifically.

Date: February 12, 2008 08:54PM

yeah stoner, the brown ones are more mature and will have a firmer meat inside, but still really tasty!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Date: February 12, 2008 09:01PM

pakd4fun, that story was hillarious! gross but still funny. i think that is exactly why your hubby was craving that oily soup. sometimes cravings are a great way to get just what you didn't know that you needed.

i couldn't imagine eating a whole spoonful of that stuff though, ugh. a teeny little taste is enough for me, my jar has been in the fridge for months!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:26PM

i like to open up a date, slather a little coco butter on the inside, stuff an almond in there, close it up, and consume. dessert!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:31PM

My mom "feels" god told her he lives in the sun. Feelings are not accurate tests for reality. I can give you many examples. God is a superstition, a "wish" he is not real. Wishing wont make it so. Wishing wont make anything in the body happen. Feeling good, does not mean your sickness goes away. Only things you do, like actions you take, ie food , exercise, etc..Only cause and effect. Only actions will do anything, that is the best advice I ever learned, something to ponder myself.

I used to be an " emotionalist" I saw the world through my emotions. Now I try to be a rationalist. What a difference. I see everything differently. I only trust facts and I never believe in something someone tells me to believe in on faith alone. If I can't prove it myself, I dont accept it as a belief. or see proof.

You would be surprised, the world says this or society says that and everyone doesnt question nothing,

Anyways, I took coconut oil a long time ago, tons of it, at the tree of life that is what we used alot. I never felt any changes, it is just a food. not a magic potion. Like olive oil. There are tons of books that say anything about anything but I never see any proof, just testimonials.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 01:39PM by suvine.

Date: February 13, 2008 02:45PM

I think it's important to both trust your intuition, and make educated decisions. There is always conflict when people try to label man as one or the other--rational, spiritual, religious, scientific, etc--when we are all wholes, greater than the sum or our parts.

I remember reading about a priest who died trying to walk on water. But I've also read about plenty of cancer patients whose positive attitudes were totally what pulled them through. =)

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 13, 2008 03:05PM

I agree that we are whole beings, capable of so much more than emotions versus observation. We are living a partial life if we rely on only one aspect of the wonder that we are while experiencing the world around us. It's like tasting foods--we don't rely on just one part of the tongue to taste the flavors. It would be a dull eating experience if we only tasted foods with the tip of our tongue. We can experience so much more flavor by allowing all areas of our tongue to enjoy our food. ;-)

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO

Date: February 13, 2008 04:55PM

yup, using all my gifts and senses here too. they are all a part of who we are, why choose one over the other when you can be integrated and whole?

Date: February 13, 2008 04:57PM

Suvine
I feel sorry for you.
where is your hope. Feelings are an amazing gift that we all have inside of us.
I think living in reality sucks. i hate society and all its rules. so i choose to live in hope and think positive and only do things that make me "feel" good,
Suvine why do you find it nessacary to tell us that their is no god and that we sould not believe in things?
Thats like looking up at someone who is on the top of a ladder and saying "your going to fall"
If you choose to not believe in anything and if you choose to have no hope i would rather you keep it to your self and let up keep climbing the ladder to see where it takes us. the last thing we need in this world is people going around with negitive attitudes,
I would like to spread encouragement and peace and love.
And just wondering............how do YOU know their is no god? And who are YOU to present this as a fact? can you prove it?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Date: February 13, 2008 05:56PM

...stoner, you are wise beyond your years!

I would add to the emotion/spirituality vs rationalism debate:

Who is the final arbiter of what constitutes a "fact". Facts are just an agreed upon illusion. You can do experiments that "prove" that light is a particle, and you can do experiments that "prove" that light is a wave. These are both "facts" that can be proven experimentally... are they both right? are they both wrong? How can something be both a particle and a wave at the same time? It comes down to the will of the observer. If you do the experiment to prove light is a particle, that is what you will prove and the same holds true if your intent is to prove light is a wave. We create what we observe... change the way you look at things and the things you look at will change. And if we are creators of all that we observe, in my opinion, that makes all of us Gods and Goddesses...cool!
So I ask, is there any way to definitively "prove" anything? If not, then we are all left in the mystery; which as coco says in her signature... is "the real trick to life."

Oh yeah... I love coconuts and all that they provide...and that's a fact (for now).

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Date: February 13, 2008 06:57PM

Yes i will say this is all true. But what about the things that are on the inside. the things that no one can even prove exist. THese are the things i am talking about.
Feelings
thoughts
emotion
We get to choose every day how we want to live on the inside.
I choose for my feelings to be worthy my thoughts to be positive and my emotion to be present.
We can not prove how a person feels.
Only that person can translate into words the emotion that is going on inside of them.
Yes it is all a mystery...life in it self i will agree, but their is no mystery that in my heart, in my soul, in my very being.....hope is present.
And even in the roughest times of my life (and their have been many) I still hold on to this hope and i still believe in what i feel.
I believe that i am living proof that feelings, thoughts, and emotion are realy powerfull in the way we live our lives,

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables