Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: coconut oil
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 13, 2008 07:45PM

I don't think Suvine told anyone what to believe or even has a negative attitude. She just said she believes in reality and not superstition. I like how it's all good and well for religious folk to say things such as "god bless" and other religious connotations, but when someone indicates a lack of belief in fictitious beings (oh, wow, what a CRAZY idea....), she is somehow negative and given the third-degree about actually expressing herself. You believe what you want to believe; that's fine, but don't be so taken aback when someone comes along and does things in a more rational and scientific way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 13, 2008 08:04PM

Utopian Life her original post had a bit more of a negative spin to it so I can understand stoner's response. If you look you will see that Suvine edited her post and removed the part where she stated that God is not real as a fact.

This world is big enough for all of us. I have my own thoughts and beliefs on life and such (which are actually similar to Suvine's as I too do not believe in a God) but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate or respect others beliefs.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 13, 2008 08:17PM

well, i hope stoner edits her post, too, then, since her post revealed a negative attitude w/ regard to non-religious folks and their supposed lack of "hope."

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 08:17PM

I don't believe in "God" per se... but the idea of a God living in the sun is beautiful imagery, I think. God in the sun with coconuts free and available to all! (Yes, I reallllly miss summer).

Stoner, I like your writing, so inspired! But I still hope Suvine will keep gracing us with her pictures of fruit salads smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2008 08:27PM

Utopian Life you only have a limited window to edit your post... I believe it is something like 5 to 10 minutes after you make the post! I found that one out a few weeks ago and I was like darn it!

Anyway both these ladies are clearly passionate about their beliefs and I think that its great! And I completely agree with rost that Suvine takes awesome food shots and she better not stop posting or I will lose my inspiration lol!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2008 08:57PM

"Wishing wont make anything in the body happen. Feeling good, does not mean your sickness goes away. Only things you do, like actions you take, ie food , exercise, etc."

i have many books on visualization and the power of the mind over matter. louise hay, jane roberts/seth, wayne dyer, deepak choprah, etc. has anyone seen the movie "the secret" or "what the bleep do we know"?
i have also read a few scientific studies of the brain that prove that it doesn't always know the difference between something that is happening and something that is only being imagined. the chemical reactions in the brain are exactly the same.
so, what we think has no affect on the body? i don't see how this can be true at all. but...

what you believe to be true is true for you. this IS the nature of personal reality. if you feel that your thoughts have no actually bearing on your earthly experiences, so shall it be for you.

and sorry folks, i must respectfully disagree. while i like pictures as much at the next person i find the big ones distracting to the discussion. the photo threads are a terrific place for those i think. i really like to focus on what is being said, that's what this place is about for me.

Date: February 13, 2008 09:13PM

coco - My husband and I loved The Secret smiling smiley I haven't had time to order Wayne Dyer's "Change Your Thoughts" book but its in my Amazon wishlist. Have you read it?

Anyway, you do bring up a good point about photos in signatures. I cut mine down in size a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 09:16PM by TheCoconutChronicles.

Date: February 13, 2008 09:32PM

I don't like the huge photos, either.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 13, 2008 09:57PM

I have known the secret since I was a kid. Seeing the movie totally kicked my beliefs/instincts into gear. It also taught my husband what I had clumsily been trying to teach him since we met. We are manifesting all kinds of happiness smiling smiley.

I loved Suvine's, Stoner's, and Greg's post's on this non-coconut oil part of the thread. I didn't think any of them were disrespectful.

Suvine,
To me you seem to be numbing yourself. I hope all is well.

Date: February 14, 2008 12:20AM

don't get me wrong, i generally LOVE people's pics but i do find them a distraction when they are large. it breaks the flow of the thread for me.

pakd4fun, i agree, i also like the off topic posts when they occur. it's stimulating to discuss ideas as the occur in an organic way. it's all good.

oh, i love coco nut too. as if you couldn't tell...

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 14, 2008 01:11AM

I'm on dialup and the pages with lots of big pics take forever to load, I usually skip them.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 14, 2008 04:38PM

I have a rational way of thinking, I do not mean to offend. But I think you meant to offend me. It's ok, I can take it. I like to speak my mind, the way I am.

You ask me why I have to tell people there is no god. there is no god, sorry. If I cant prove it I dont believe it. I do not follow what people tell me on faith, that is just me. I am a proud atheist, I like to share here.

You have a contradition in your post

1 you hate life, you hate people

2 you have hope

Well, I think as ayn rand would say, " Contradictions do not exist in nature, check your premises, one of them is wrong"

Hope that helps. Please do not be angry with me, I am a rationalist. Not an emotionalist.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 14, 2008 06:04PM

stoner,

My opinion is that saturated fats are not healthful for your body. Your body can create its own saturated fats from non-saturated ones, and in fact will eliminate the dietary saturated fats. These fats also tend to clog up the arteries because they are sticky.

The best fats come from whole foods, in their unprocessed states, like avocados, nuts and seeds. Coconut oil is processed, and stripped of its water, fiber, and the vitamins and minerals have been oxidized away.

Date: February 14, 2008 06:10PM

I wonder why, if they aren't healthful for you, they would be for others? I notice a great improvement in my skin tone when I ingest coconut oil. ? Hmm....I guess everyone is different!

Date: February 14, 2008 06:33PM

I am not sure about it as a food, I haven't eaten it much but decided to try it for a couple days coinciding with this thread. It seemed to have a laxative affect on me. I don't really need a laxative thoughsmiling smiley. I guess if I craved it I would assume I was stopped up and needed a cleanout. TMI? smiling smiley! That falls in line with my husbands binge on olive oil soup.

It has been fantastic for my skin used as a lotion. I have been looking for this kind of face cream my whole life. I have been using it as a lotion because of a thread I read a few weeks ago. I wonder if it will be good for stretch marks. It is so great for another reason too. I needed a food based lotion for my hands because I always have my hands in food. I wash them a lot and I need it most when I am in the kitchen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 06:34PM by pakd4fun.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 14, 2008 06:49PM

I for one refuse to edit a post.
I said what i felt and i wont take it back.
But i will agree that i was a bit harsh in my reaction to suvine.

You are intitled to your thoughts and i respect that you are confident in what you believe.

We are very differnt and believe in two completly differnt things.

Altough i understand your confidence i still cant understand why you would want to knock someone off that ladder?
do you tell kids their is no santa clause?
why not just let them believe?
Is it hurting you?

And you have me mistaken. i never said i hate life....i love my life and i love living. i love breathing.
I said i hate society. i.e.
i hate the fact that mccdonads is allowed to have so many restaurants when their food is so bad for kids,
I hate that so much money is given to cancer treatments and so many people are given kemo but never in the media do we see natural cures, or stories on the news of someone surviving cancer without the use of drugs.
It happens we just never hear about it because no one can make any money from it.
I hate this society in this way.

I said i have hope

i see no contradiction
Hope is the desire to trust.
Even if i did hate life i can still have hope in my heart because you always have your self. and i can trust my self. hope is something that lives deep inside of my heart.
their have been times that i have looked in the mirror and hated my self. still i had hope.

And to stay on topic/......i opened my first coconut last night and was amazed...i never even knew that their was a water inside of one. What do you do what the meat though?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Date: February 14, 2008 07:00PM

Stoner, if you "believe" in a god or whatever, and it is truly what you are compelled to believe and you have come to that conclusion, a message post on a board isn't really going to change that, is it? I mean, I'm an atheist, but I won't mention it unless it's part of a topic or someone else brings it up. Does my presence cause you concern? I especially don't like the double standard of people thinking it's perfectly acceptable to be pro-religious and make such posts, but a person stating that they are non-religious is a problem sometimes. I hope we don't have that here and people understand that they shouldn't feel threatened by our differences! All of us are great here!

(I could see why anti-religiousness and anti-atheism could be seen as bad, as this is completely negative and non-accepting. I am anti-religious when it comes to laws and imposition in my everyday life, but I am not anti-religious when it comes to others' personal choices.)

You know what's funny is I had one young coconut with about 1.5 cups of water and one with only a 1/2 cup. I got jipped! smiling smiley

Date: February 14, 2008 07:02PM

Oh, and why in the world would you want to lie to a child and tell them there's a Santa Claus in the first place? (That would delete the necessity of telling them later that you have lied and wouldn't call for any reaction, negative or positive. It's funny that we have traditions established in society wherein we lie, and you accept these things as somehow good, but McDonald's is bad...) Why?

Date: February 14, 2008 07:30PM

Utopian Life,

Perhaps the coconut oil replaced another oil you were previously ingesting that was less good for you.

Date: February 14, 2008 08:22PM

I don't think so - I've always only used flax, hemp, coconut, extra-virgin olive, avocado, rice bran.

Maybe it's that I am eating more fat and I wasn't getting enough before! That's quite possible.

Date: February 14, 2008 08:35PM

If it is feeling good to eat coconut oil, then your body is telling you that it is good for you. And should it stop feeling good for you, I am sure you will respond appropriately.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 14, 2008 08:46PM

LOL.

No I believe in life. Love, I am in a very amative mood today, if you know what I mean, Got a durian delivered to me on Valentine's day at work.

Food , love, hot men, work, success, money as a good thing, health, beauty, what is numbing about that?

Date: February 14, 2008 08:49PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think so - I've always only used flax,
> hemp, coconut, extra-virgin olive, avocado, rice
> bran.
>
> Maybe it's that I am eating more fat and I wasn't
> getting enough before! That's quite possible.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep this in mind. I do get the virgin organic, cold-pressed variety....hopefully that's better. Thanks. smiling smiley

Date: February 14, 2008 08:53PM

oh man, we had this santa discussion already.

i am going to eat some mandarins now. wish i had a coconut.

Date: February 14, 2008 10:36PM

Well, i don't think anyone should be discouraged from writing how they feel as long as they are not breaking some code of conduct. I don't think being an athiest is distracting from my ladder climb in the least.

Suvine, you seem more upbeat today. My numbing comment was related more to your tone than your message. Maybe it was just me. Sorry if I was out of line. I have to say my "non-numbing" list would be quite different from yours. More like: great husband and Kids, lots of animals, fresh air, Lots of nature out my door, music, free time and the health to make the most of all of it.

Happy Valentines day!!!!

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:47AM

I understand you offense stoner, I dont think you were too harsh. To bring up as important a debate as religion in the forum of advice about coconuts was inappropriate and unrelated (I mean yes she made a connection, but could have used a more neutral example). If you read her blog you will see that she is in a very negative space (which is suprising coming from a fruitarian). Dont worry about it. Geez, all you wanted to know was if its okay to eat all that oil! (which its probably not...in the long run) Hope your feelings arent hurt and you arent deterred from seeking advice here! =)

Date: February 15, 2008 04:41AM

making a definitive statement, ei "there is a god" or " there is no god" is extremely presumptuous. who do people think they are making proclamations like that? no one really knows ANYTHING about it, it's ALL just speculation and until someone can prove it either way they have zero ground to stand on claiming one thing or the other. people can say that THEY personally believe one way or the other but to try and present your opinion as fact is really self absorbed. no one's opinion is fact no matter how much they believe it and the rest of us are just as entitled to our own opinions about what is and what is not as any one else.
i don't hold with the preachy atheists any more than i do with the preachy preachers. get off it.

sorry if that's a little harsh but let's get real here. telling someone How It Is is just a bit too much.

Date: February 15, 2008 05:14AM

Here is a paraphrase of a line from "Even The Cowgirls Get the Blues":

Believe in anything, nothing is sacred. Believe in nothing, everything is sacred.

Another way to say this:

Don't take anyone's word for it. Have your own experience and find out for yourself.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:23AM

I googled "coconut oil", and i can only find good & positive articles on it...! I once laughed at people (especially my poor aunt...) who believed that coconut oil is good for the health,i did not believe because its full of saturated fats... But im starting to think that i was wrong, cause really, it seems full of potential!

*** question
Why is there huge price differences between different brnadds of coconut oil? I checked that out this week, and i was surprise to see that the cheapest jar costed 5$, and the more expensive one, 25$ !!! what the hell?? its the same thing in all of them! Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil....w-e-i-r-d.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:25AM

i forgot....

ive read that adding coconut oil to the diet, even if it makes more calories per day, helps in weight loss...

It is supposed to give alot of energy too

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables