Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Fruit is the Enemy
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 01, 2008 11:32PM

I like that, that makes alot of sense No5

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:30AM

Whatever happened to just listening to your body and it's individual needs? At the present moment I'm only wanting greens and vegetable juices and an occasional avocado. I'm desiring no sweet or bitter fruits whatsoever. However, 2 weeks ago I was eating 3-6 red apples, 4 oranges, lots of kiwi and plenty of bananas daily. I've also been fasting for long stretches during the past year which has really tuned me into my body. I mean WOW. My physical and emotional bodies change with each season and sometimes weekly. Whatever is healing in my body is what my body tends to signal to me to eat. I've learned to get really in tune with this cycle. I believe adopting a pattern of eating only certain foods or excluding a certain food based on something that was read or following someone else's belief system is dangerous and is not honoring the information that is inherent in all of us. Certainly our bodies are anatomically the same for the most part, but they are also very different. What works well for one body (food, exercise routine, lifestyle choice) would be disastrous healthwise for another. And vice versa. It is the body that knows what is best for it to run at maximum efficiency and to achieve optimal health. We just have to learn to listen to it. Just my opinion.

Edit: The sheer irony of my signature photo makes me smile. I added it 2 weeks ago during my fruit cycle. :-D Time to update it to Kale. lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 01:34AM by rawangel.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:06AM

No5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fruit isn't the enemy. Stimulation isn't the
> enemy. Fruit and stimulation are doing exactly
> what they are supposed to do. We're the enemy.
> We're the ones who misuse things that do exactly
> what they are supposed to do.

brilliant!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:23AM

Those oranges are making me drool.

Fruit is actually good for us.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 02, 2008 04:04AM

I think the nights I do house tons of fruit and I find myself sleepless--well, at least 50% of my intake is tropical, to note--it's SUB SUB SUB zero here in Canada, I live in a tiny little apartment building. I can't go outside and walk. I can't go for a swim. I can't do all the things my body wants and needs to do, despite the very bitter fact I FINALLY have the resources to do it, and need to do these things to grow.

I'm doing what I can within my climate and financial situation, of course, but it is frustrating at times.

And the enemy is NOT the fruit in that case. I feel like a caged animal. I'd have to say the enemy is our rotting society. We're meant to be free.

*ehm*

It is also true that cleansing and detoxing to the ultimate levels takes quite a bit of time, depending on past histories. As the body moves through cycles, it makes sense that we want different things at different times. It could be years before we're all clean, stable, and active enough to say what the perfect proportions of things really are--all we can have is faith that our body will tell us.

Coming off antibiotics, I ate greens by the pound because I needed to alkalize--then I lost all desire for them COMPLETELY. I tried to have some greens in my diet again tonight, because I know I haven't been eating them, but my body, after a small bowl of rapini, told me, "No. No need." I literally felt like I would rather pass the meal than ingest any more greens.

Then I gobbled up a cantaloupe and felt great. >8)

Right now, however, it's bean sprouts that I feel like I can't get enough of... Who knows what the future holds?!?!?!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2008 04:13AM

do you like rapini raw? i am craving it but steamed. raw is just, not so much...

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: March 02, 2008 04:16AM

I found uncooked rapini to be tolerable if I included a very small amount in a green smoothie.

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: March 02, 2008 04:25AM

I steamed it for <1 minute. The stuff on the bottom was warm, the leaves were kind of flappy, but the greens on top didn't even cook. This was my first rapini adventure since I went raw, and I felt kind of strange about killing it. tongue sticking out smiley

The way I flipped the pan into my bowl, I got to eat all of the semi-steamed stuff first, and worked my way to the raw.

I used to be APPALLED by the taste of raw rapini. Now, I could eat more of it steamed, and I definitely like how the bitterness comes out when it's cooked... but it's just as yummy raw, too. The raw stuff, however, is a LOT more filling. Not even half a bowl of raw, and I was *stuffed.*

Posted by: star thistle ()
Date: March 02, 2008 07:09AM

If you're diabetic or have high blood sugar and want to lower it, you just can't eat high glycemic fruit all day. Just wanted to mention that.
So do what your body needs.

Date: March 02, 2008 03:38PM

I don't believe that anyone ever became diabetic from eating too much fruit. Or got worse from eating too much fruit. Fruit has fiber that slows down the uptake of sugar in the blood, converts to short-chain fatty acids that keep the blood "clean" and it also contains many anti-glycation, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant substances that protect from diabetes-related damages.

Fruit juice might be a different story.

The type II diabetics (and pre-diabetics) that I know eat fiberless, unprocesed garbage and rarely a vegetable or fruit, for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 03:44PM by arugula.

Posted by: star thistle ()
Date: March 02, 2008 08:26PM

of course I'm talking about people who have come from a SAD diet and have a pre-existing condition. *maybe* once they're cleared that up they could do lots more fruit, I don't know. If I eat more than a few bananas at a time, I do get the "sugar rush" feeling, so all fruit would be out of the question at this poin t in time-just saying, because nobody brought this aspect up. I can do a good amount of berries, though, because they don't have as much sugar, I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 08:39PM by star thistle.

Date: March 02, 2008 08:53PM

arugula Wrote:
> The type II diabetics (and pre-diabetics) that I
> know eat fiberless, unprocesed garbage and rarely
> a vegetable or fruit, for that matter.

i have two type II diabetics in my office, and they both eschew fruit. but i notice that whenever the chocolate or the donuts get passed around, they allow themselves that "occasional treat". also diet sodas by the gallon. yikes!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:20PM

I'm having a blast with a HUGE green juice in the morning,a huge salad and seaweed for lunch and some fruit in between.That's it.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:37PM

I'm not diabetic and I don't want to be. Here's my rough sketch basic format for eating that I feel gives me a helping hand with that. I am not strict with this format because where my body signals lead I always follow.

+) Fruits eaten as whole foods including avocados (I eat lots of whole fruit)
+) Veggies eaten as whole foods and juiced
+) Blend veggies and/or greens with a veggie juice base
+) Eat salads whole (hemp seed oil as dressing when used)
+) Eat seeds and occasionally I may pour hemp seed oil over them
+) Blend seeds into smoothies or juice or water
+) Blend young coconut juice & pulp

Everyone needs to develop their own raw food style. This is mine, please feel free to use any of it you want to. smiling smiley
I have found that lots of experimenting keeps it fun, interesting, and results in beneficial tweaking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 09:49PM by EZ rider.

Date: March 02, 2008 11:57PM

I eat mostly fruit

fruit smoothie in the morning (400 calories, with flax)
big vegetable salad (400 calories, includes walnuts and a bit of EVOO as well as nonsweet fruit)
fruit salad in the evening (400 calories)

+ other stuff as needed.

I vary the vegetable salad the most. Today I blended celery and carrot for my dressing.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 03, 2008 12:11AM

arugula Wrote:
> I vary the vegetable salad the most. Today I
> blended celery and carrot for my dressing.

That sounds interesting. I am going to try that. Thanks. smiling smiley

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: March 03, 2008 01:16PM

coco... that was hilarious...

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: March 03, 2008 01:53PM

Instead of arguing over whos diet is best, can't we just say, listen to your body and if it's not working for you then change it?

I am so tired of reading about how "bad" fruit is, yet 75% of my diet is fruit and I have never felt or looked better.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Date: March 03, 2008 02:15PM

right phil. who am i to say what the best diet is for YOU, and vice versa. i'm not living in your body. i don't know how you feel, and i don't know what level of health you are at in comparison to 1 year ago, or anything like that. for all i know, there could be a person for whom the perfect diet is all cheetos. if they are thriving on that, go for it!

when i first went raw, i was talking to my brother, who is a very fit and healthy looking guy. i had lost a lot of weight pretty rapidly, but still looked nowhere near as fit as he does. he talked to me for 10 minutes about how it is okay if he has a cheeseburger a few times a month if he goes out to a restaurant, since he eats really healthy at home. i didn't say anything to him, just kept nodding. and he just kept going ON with his monologue. when he finished i said, "i think that's great, and i'm happy for you if you're happy with it. you look like you're thriving to me." he burst out laughing and said "geez, I guess I'm not too happy with it since I feel the need to justify it to you!" we had a good laugh over it. not everyone is as self aware. point is don't advocate that your diet is the best diet for everyone else. if you are an example of good health, people will be interested in what you are doing. or not. there's no need to bash anyone elses diet, or say "those people who are feeling themselves to be so healthy are actually secretly sick/setting themselves up for poor health, they just don't know it yet." what a bunch of BS.

(also BS imho: fruit causes cancer or allows it to flourish. its laughable!)

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 03, 2008 02:40PM

I find that when I eat a predominantly Fruit Diet, it makes the Greens less palatable. In fact, it's difficult for me to drink Wheatgrass Juice in the mornings when I have eaten fruit the previous day.
I'm taking a position, right or wrong, to Alkalinize my Body. I think Greens do a better job of that than Fruit. I'd like to hear from someone who is 'balancing' their body with mostly Greens, with minimum Fruit.
I've just begun a Juice Diet (wheatgrass, carrot, and celery) and am feeling very good about it.....WY

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 03, 2008 02:50PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> I'm taking a position, right or wrong, to
> Alkalinize my Body. I think Greens do a better job
> of that than Fruit. I'd like to hear from someone
> who is 'balancing' their body with mostly Greens,
> with minimum Fruit.

I think I eat a pretty balanced diet, high fruit but also high greens, mostly wild greens picked just before I eat them. I also eat some soaked seeds, veg and raw chocolate and I eat a very small amount of non-vegan food. I've been eating this way for nearly 6 years and I feel wonderful on it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: March 03, 2008 11:58PM

You have a nice blog, Rob, the graphics and layout are very clean and the writing is also great.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: March 04, 2008 12:32AM

Witarian, the jim carry thing was funny, although gross, he is funny/crazy!!!! janice

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: March 04, 2008 12:36PM

:-)) Yes..
I have a laugh almost every time i see it (which is rare),
You know, I've done it at one point, and am well aware of how some people perceive "juice drinking "nuts",people" :-)

1 Laugh a day is the bare minimum recommended by any doctor to maintain / regain health,.. :-)
Cheers!

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Date: March 04, 2008 03:32PM

Wheatgrass Yogi, interesting, about fruit making greens less palatable. Since I've gone to around 80% fruit/day, I just lost my taste for greens completely. At first, it may have been because I was on a huge green binge before, but it's been months since, and I still just don't have a taste for them. Like, I would probably throw them up if I tried to eat enough to sustain me, that's how powerful of a "NO" my stomach gives me at the moment.

Watery lettuces, like iceberg and romaine, are also okay. But the DARK and LEAFY stuff (arguably where the minerals are? heheh), mmmmmnope. Maybe it's the oxalic acid that bothers me?

But I am thriving on fruit, and I'm perfectly happy to stay there at the moment! =)

More power to anyone who thrives, especially on things pulled from the ground or from a tree!

Date: March 04, 2008 05:05PM

Thanks Funky Rob and Phantom for your input. I find that after 3 days of Alkaline Juices I'm practicing Pranayama without trying. It's a 'clean' feeling......WY

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 04, 2008 05:43PM

arugula Wrote:
> You have a nice blog, Rob, the graphics and layout
> are very clean and the writing is also great.

Thanks arugula. Make it worthwhile when people appreciate what I do.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: March 04, 2008 07:29PM

I love fruit, why would anybody say it is evil, you would die without fruit. I never heard of a green leafarian who only eats green leaves, cows do that.

Date: March 04, 2008 08:28PM

suvine Wrote:
> I love fruit, why would anybody say it is evil

Sorry Suvine, you're the last person I'd want to offend.
I'm looking for the Best Way for me....that's all.....WY

Date: March 04, 2008 09:11PM

Consider the diet of only green leaves.

20 heads of romaine
6 cups of spinach
6 cups of kale

calories: 2370 (of which you'd absorb maybe 70%, if that, even).
protein: 172 g
fats: 41 g
carb: 458 g
includes 275 g of fiber (you'd be on the toilet ALL day long when you weren't chewing ALL THE REST OF THE DAY long and your tummy would be continuously bloated, all day and all night).

vitamin A: 806,000 IU (this is way too much)
iron: 133 g (also way way too much)
copper: 7.4 g (about 8x what RDA suggests)
omega6:3 ratio would be about 1:2.5, which way too low, should not be less than 1:1.

It can't be done: we weren't meant to eat that many greens.

One head of lettuce and 3 cups each of spinach and kale is about as high as anyone should go IMO. Might be too high for some people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 09:14PM by arugula.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables