Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bipolar/Manic-Depression
Posted by: ahlam ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:48AM

I was diagnosed bipolar more than a year ago, and have been 100% raw for 2 mos. I told my shrink that I might have to adjust my meds b/c of how I'm eating, but I don't think she understood why (she thought it was b/c my weight was decreasing-which doesn't effect lamictal). That is the only medication I haven't given up yet-because I can't afford to spend another $12k on gumball machines (it was an expensive diagnosis.) Anyway, my question is:
Has anyone here been diagnosed bipolar, and how has being 100% raw changed the way you deal with you illness?

~Amelia
"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what
you're going to do now and do it."
– William C. Durant

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bipolar/Manic-Depression
Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: March 04, 2008 04:00AM

My perspective:

Depression serves a very effective role, evolutionarily speaking. Google "evolutionary benefit depression" or something like that....and read for a while.

Mania....is basicaly having so much energy that you are bursting at the seams. The fairly lame "civilized" world is threatened by this....

....so what happens....."let's medicate and lock those people away."

Well,....maybe we can do better.

Trust me, you can transcend all the evolutionary, genetic and learned "patterns" and be healthier than ever without the meds.

Raw food can definitely help.

Suggestions:
Lots of EPA omega-3's
Good, regular cardio exercise
meditate to know your deepest self.

..........Love and do as you will.

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Date: March 04, 2008 04:24AM

Thanks, Paul. I read a lot of self-help books, do yoga, and consistently work toward self-improvement. Luckily I tend to stay (when unmedicated) in the 'hypomanic' phase, which is just a leeetle bit more happy than 'normal'. That's all well and good, until I have 4 gi-normous gumball machines filling my garage, and am trying to quit my well-paying job on the spot to open my coffee shop (that I haven't finished the bus. plan for or gotten the space, etc...) And the 'downs' are excruciatingly miserable. I'm getting there, though, and I am positive that being a rawfoodist is helping-and will help me-immensely.

~Amelia
– William C. Durant

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 04, 2008 06:48AM

Hi

Do NOT mess around with your meds.

Raw food is awesome but it is NOT a cure all.
Even if it was it wouldn't happen overnight.

Yes, do all the natural therapies, but closely
monitor yourself and do NOT mess around with your meds.

Just my 2 sense!!

Posted by: cpak ()
Date: March 04, 2008 11:31AM

I have been diagnosed with an illness similar to bipolar. I take Abilify (15 mg) a day. I've been raw for almost 4 weeks now with some failures due to some cravings for meat. I live with SAD eaters, and it's hard for me to follow the raw diet sometimes. But I am going to stick to my plan, and continue eating raw. In terms of your question, how has eating raw changed my life? Well, my thoughts are clearer than never, I am working on my concentration levels (I am not able to concentrate at high levels yet,) I'm able to work out 1.5 hours a day now because I have more energy than ever, and can study for my license exam. When I'm on the SAD or eat meat, I feel so sluggish and lazy I don't want to even open the books to study.

I have gained about 30 lbs from my medications due to not being able to feel satisfied when I eat so I have eaten a lot of fatning foods when I was on SAD and other medications. Abilify worked wonders for me as I don't have that dilemma anymore. I haven't seen noticeable changes on my weight from 144 lbs from eating raw, but I used to weight 110 lbs and wish to get back to the shape I was in. I hope that eventually I will lose all the weight I've gained.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:40PM

Not manic depression, but I have been diagnosed with depression and have taken quite a few different medications for it. I've always hated taking the meds and I'll be honest, when I went raw I went off them and I feel really good about it.
Not saying you should do it, but it's worked for me. I had some real issues with food though, I medicated myself with food in a really bad way.
When I stopped doing that I started feeling a lot better. As I've lost weight and started exercising I've mentally felt much better. I feel balanced and happy in a way I don't remember feeling even as a child. I'm not saying raw food is a cure all, but it has definitely changed my mental state for the better.

Date: March 04, 2008 04:07PM

ahlam,

If you are not incredibly well anchored in your truest, deepest self (beingness, essence, "the now", pure consciousness, awareness, etc.),....then....yes...you may need the meds to keep you stable for a while until you get there.

I was on lithium for over a decade....then I saw (heard, actually) EXACTLY what I needed to put the puzzle together, so to speak. I listened to The Power of Now....and then...

...I quit my job as Vice President of The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (see www.DBSAlliance.org) to give myself the necessary space for growth....and then I....

.....sequestered myself (as much as possible, while staying in the interactive world, if you know what I mean) and meditated my ass off. (my ass didn't actually fall off)....

.....meditated and meditated and just sat and did everything I could to be well. Everything bubbles up,...re-aligns,...sorts.....

...the universe within & without shifts....but I kept going deeper.

Now I am who I have always been,....but consciously and at every level. It is not "easy"....in the sense that you cannot take a pill for it.

It is probably the equivalent of learning to dance or compete in an ironman triathlon when you have never even learned to walk. Yes, it takes commitment, dedication, focus, diligence, and all the determination that you have learned through the process of staying somewhat sane in this insane world....but you can do it. From a certain perspective, you could even say that you are designed to do it.

My website has my phone number and email at the bottom, as well as several hours of audio support. Feel free to call or email anytime. I am a master now....but no more than you or anyone.....who goes deep within.

Just know that you can do it. There are many like me who would be honored to help. Never listen to anyone other than yourself...unless they are clearly acting out of love. You are awesome.....don't be afraid to be as good as you are.

Love,
Paul

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 04, 2008 04:13PM

I'm sure I was undiagnosed bipolar for a long time--raw foods, for me, balanced my energy and perspective enough for a complete healing. I had totally bottomed out before switching to raw foods, and all I thought was, "Well, it's supposed to fix your immune system and alleviate depression." The first two weeks I felt like I was just waiting for something; then I had this weird feeling like something was "digging" inside my head--like something was going on that I couldn't consciously access, but I felt this gnawing, clawing, digging, SOMETHING happening behind the scenes; then I had a night with my boyfriend where I realized that he loved and accepted me completely, and the positive environment combined with all the positive things I was putting into my body... it just all came together. I realized that life and love were interconnected some way, and that I was alive, worthy of love, and that I could love myself... and it clicked. I haven't looked back.

I never had to deal with the medication aspect, however. The best I can think to do would be to switch to a doctor that supports you and your goals--especially if that includes decreasing medication.

I guess I never went to a doctor because I don't believe genetics are the cause of depression (you can argue all you want, I'm aware of the cases). It ran in my family, sure, but the feelings I struggled with my whole life stemmed from my mother's neglect. Yes, she was depressed, but it was the resulting environment I was subject to that built the foundation of all the negative thought-patterns in my head. This has just been my experience. And the only doctor I needed to cure myself was myself. =)

Best of luck! Just try to focus on the "living" aspect of live foods... it's a great place to start! Everyone is entitled to love and happiness.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 04, 2008 04:57PM

EnlightenmentNow,

I couldn't be happier for you and your passion for what you believe in. No sarcasm, at all. I'm sincerely happy for you.

But I don't think you understand how the lingo you use comes across to someone who is not even close to thinking in that way. I'm not discounting your experiences in the least, but someone on medication and struggling can't just read posts like you're writing and 1) understand them, 2) grasp them or 3) adopt them. They're not in a position to be able to do that. It's like trying to feed a baby bird steak and eggs instead of what it requires at the moment.

To be honest, I think your information is irresponsible at best.

Date: March 04, 2008 05:57PM

Simple Living,

I totally see your point and it is certainly true. That is why I say that anyone is welcome to call me (I have unlimited minutes on Verizon) or visit me (N. Topsail, N.C.) and I will do everything and anything to help them.

Of course it is that way,....but I have walked the path many many times and can take you by the hand and help you find your way.

The question is,....would you rather believe that it is not possible or talk to someone who's transcended it all?

I have been to the valley....and beyond that bottom. There are no lows beyond which I have not been. In a way I wish that were not true, but in a way, I needed to go there to know myself truly.

The oneness of all of us is very important, as is the uniqueness. Please do not discount your own ability to shift and shift quickly....or the value of a Truly Helping Hand.

I apologize for getting anyone too excited or believing too much in themselves too fast,.....but these are certainly not the worst mistakes you can make...so long as you are working towards being 100% yourself.

I would recommend to anyone that they listen to all the caveats, warnings and suggestions of The Power of Now (by Eckhart Tolle) as well as Help Along the Way (by me, on my website below)....before drinking 10 Red Bulls and goind on a wild spending spree....

....but take a deep breathe and know yourself as the breathing, the air, the space and be. Ahhhhh.

Love,
Paul

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: March 04, 2008 07:32PM

There is nothing wrong with you. ANybody can be diagnsed wuith that, all you need is a rough time with moods swings which everyone has had and it means nothing

Date: March 04, 2008 07:56PM

EnlightenmentNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simple Living,
>
> I totally see your point and it is certainly true.
> That is why I say that anyone is welcome to call
> me (I have unlimited minutes on Verizon) or visit
> me (N. Topsail, N.C.) and I will do everything and
> anything to help them.
>
> Of course it is that way,....but I have walked the
> path many many times and can take you by the hand
> and help you find your way.
>
> The question is,....would you rather believe that
> it is not possible or talk to someone who's
> transcended it all?
>
> I have been to the valley....and beyond that
> bottom. There are no lows beyond which I have not
> been. In a way I wish that were not true, but in
> a way, I needed to go there to know myself truly.
>
> The oneness of all of us is very important, as is
> the uniqueness. Please do not discount your own
> ability to shift and shift quickly....or the value
> of a Truly Helping Hand.
>
> I apologize for getting anyone too excited or
> believing too much in themselves too fast,.....but
> these are certainly not the worst mistakes you can
> make...so long as you are working towards being
> 100% yourself.
>
> I would recommend to anyone that they listen to
> all the caveats, warnings and suggestions of The
> Power of Now (by Eckhart Tolle) as well as Help
> Along the Way (by me, on my website
> below)....before drinking 10 Red Bulls and goind
> on a wild spending spree....
>
> ....but take a deep breathe and know yourself as
> the breathing, the air, the space and be.
> Ahhhhh.
>
> Love,
> Paul

Paul,

I see where you're coming from. I can even tell that you have wonderful intentions. What's missing from your post is a bit of caution. People who are on medication, as you well know, get very, very tired of being on it. We don't know the people who post here well enough to encourage them in one way or another in regards to their medication. All it takes is for one person to place too much of their hope/trust in someone's post and start making decisions about altering their medication without supervision.

I know this because I dated a woman who was bi-polar and manic depressive. I didn't know this until she got tired of taking her medication and a "friend" of hers carelessly and casually said, "Then why take it? You're fine. You just need to relax." That's irresponsible because she did just that... and it was dangerous. It was utter hell for me and end with her running off with no one knowing where she went.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that, in many cases, there are MUCH better alternatives to medicines, but, unless you have experience with that specific person's medical history, you should be very careful how you advise them. Even if they take your advice, they may not do it the way you're recommending and will go off on their own tangent. I can't imagine that you would want to be responsible for that.

And, ahlam, none of my post is directed at you personally. Not in the least. I am speaking in general. I think it's great that you're researching ways to reduce and eliminate your prescriptions! Just please be sure to do it safely and under your doctor's supervision. If the doctor isn't cooperating, find another doctor.

Date: March 04, 2008 08:26PM

I will mention that when I went off my meds I weaned myself off and my doctor was totally aware that I was doing it. I really didn't think about mentioning that until Simple Living posted about responsibility. Sometimes I'm a little spacey that way. But yeah..it would be irresponsible for me not to mention that.

Date: March 04, 2008 10:18PM

Simple Living,

Part of simple living is not worrying so much. This is not a doctor's office blog, nor is this big brother watching over you and telling you what to do.....

...this is a site of friends who share their unique experiences with vegan raw and the expanded scope of where that reaches (which can be pretty darn broad).

But, if someone starts trying to shut down discussion with excessive caution, worry, angst, or over-editing,....the conversation can quickly become worthless (see some political discussions for examples of that).

If you and I and everyone wrote every warning before saying anything affirmative.....noone would ever get to the affirmative statemntes. Have a little faith in people. I have plenty of wise caution on my audio on my site.

Please do not be oppressive and stepping into my space with your "telling me what is appropriate",.... because, ultimately....you do not know, and if you think you do,....please look at that and know yourself as the looking and not as the false-knowing.

Love,
Paul

Date: March 05, 2008 02:49AM

Paul,

Thank you so much for your inspired advice. I have no intention of being irresponsible, and plan to wean myself off my meds WITH the supervision of my physician. I am intelligent, and read about bi-polar before being diagnosed. It was like a light went on, and everything I had done or been thru (put myself thru) made sense. I am on track with the things you are talking about...am very much about the 'one-ness' and suffering is the path to enlightenment (we'll talk).

Suvine,

Trust me when I say EVERYONE is not as impulsive and wreckless as someone with bipolar disorder. I don't necessarily regret it, because it's made me who I am...which is someone with a very 'sparkling personality', when I'm not down in the dumps (even then, I typically have a sharp wit-as long as I can get out of bed). I'm glad you've apparently never had to deal with it, or with anyone who has; otherwise, you would know that it's not something 'everyone' could be diagnosed with.

Phantom,

I can appreciate you not wanting to see a physician. I was desperate, and have a 10 year old daughter whom I needed to be able to care for-so I really had no choice. I was being wreckless and self-destructive, and a single parent. She deserves better, and the meds have helped. I'm so happy for you that you got better without them!
Side note: I just finished a 2 day coconut water fast, and read your post about yours. How did it go? I feel I finished too soon (probably b/c it was my first time), but will work my way up to a longer fast.

Simple Living,

I really appreciate you looking out for me. I know there are many people with BD who quit taking their meds for numerous reasons, and it is important to be cautious because we can be a very impulsive bunch. I still have some of that impulsiveness, but so far it's served me well (while on meds). It took me several months to research and work my way toward 100% raw. One day I decided to stop eating meat. After 4 mos. vegetarian (w/some seafood), I decided I would just take the plunge on new year's day (a few days prior-I'm not the resolution type, just seemed as good a time as any). I did the fast on a whim as well. All good things! I have $pent a bit on things for raw food (dehydrator and some smaller gadgets along w/several books), but I consider that $ well spent. I promise to proceed w/caution and will not alter my meds w/o supervision :-)

Brenna,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is good to know others have done it. I had been mis-diagnosed w/depression, and the meds would spin me into mania...I quit once cold turkey w/o supervision, and I'll just suffice it to say that it was pretty ugly; not my most fun roller-coaster ride. That's the main reason I won't do anything like that again w/o a professional!

cpak,

I feel your pain, and if you want to chat just let me know. Since we're both new at this, I'm sure we could learn a lot together-especially from these amazing seasoned raw fooders! (pun intended)

mrdc,

I always appreciate an extra $.02 :-) See above to know that your advice is well heeded!

~Amelia
– William C. Durant

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:16AM

Enlightenmentnow wrote:
"You are awesome.....don't be afraid to be as good as you are."

Beautiful, and so, so true. This is such a powerful statement and Ahlem I hope that you will post this up in your house. Even on your gumball machines! I think that there are times - diagnosis/medication or not, that we can all use this affirmation as a reminder of just how powerful we are. Just know that you DO have support out here, that you aren't alone, and that you can do anything you set your mind to. I hope you continue to post about your situation. Thanks for sharing.
Veggie

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:22AM

does anyone have mental illness other than the aformentioned

did raw make you this way

have you been able to beat it

if raw is the reason, have you any ideas, clues

please dont mention much here, but a reply would be nice

then we could talk via email

are you ok

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:38AM

> "You are awesome.....don't be afraid to be as good
> as you are."

that reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, by marianne williamson. nelson mandela used this quote in his inaugural address.

" Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be - brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so small that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in us, it’s in everyone. As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Date: March 05, 2008 01:20PM

Thanks,Paul! That's an amazing quote. I 'collect' quotes (from websites, books, automatic emails,etc.), but I've never heard that one. It's very much where I am right now with my coffee shop (which will serve raw foods, juices, smoothies, etc. as well). It's finally on the verge of happening, and I am PETRIFIED...to the point of paralyzing inaction! The reason I want to open the shop is because there isn't anything out there like it, and I don't want to HAVE to work. I want to live abundantly (not extravagently) and simply...does that make sense? I want to be able to home-school my child, travel, take care of my family and close friends, have the time AND means to do what I want when I want, or to do NOTHING when I want. Your quote re-lit the fire in me, and I'll keep you posted :-)
Don't worry, simple-living. I'm reading "The 10 things you need to know before you quit your job" right now, so I won't leave my stable income until I know the shop can sustain us and grow.

~Amelia
– William C. Durant

Date: March 05, 2008 11:47PM

I have started taking abilify (first 20 mg, but due to extreme restlessness, now 15 mg and starting tomorrow, 10mg), and prozac (15 mg) and have found that the days I choose to eat more raw foods I feel more alive. Concentration improves, yet the meds still interfere with that.
I have not been diagnosed with bipolar/manic-depression, but the medication I have been prescribed is what bipolar is treated with. Hopefully as I include more raw food in my diet, the need for the medication will diminish.
How likely do you think that is?

Date: March 06, 2008 01:02AM

That's what I was trying to find out, and also what I'm hoping for. Trust me when I say this, though...DON'T change your meds w/out professional supervision! I did that a couple of times when I was "diagnosed w/depression" (which happens quite often b/c who goes to the doctor when they feel super-great and have so much energy they're up in the middle of the night scrubbing the baseboards with a toothbrush? Well, I do now, because I know that's a sign of many more dumball [not a typo] machines to come...)
Anyway, one day I just had to do the 100% raw because otherwise it was too easy to NOT be raw more often than not. "Oh, I'll just have a little (fill in the blank), and do better tomorrow."
I have a lot more energy and focus on raw than I EVER did on caffeine. Try not to just focus on the end result...enjoy your journey :-)

~Amelia
– William C. Durant

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 06, 2008 01:51AM

> How likely do you think that is?

in my experience, the relentless pursuit of health on all fronts: mental, physical, and spiritual, makes it VERY likely.

in 2005 i was diagnosed with severe depression, and because there is a strong family history of bipolar in my family i was also treated with similar drugs... i am grateful for that experience because it quickly dug me out of the hole and allowed me to stabilize enough to pursue health. i read everything i could, and everything i read said: regardless of whether you think its just genetics or not, you can't just take the drugs, if you want to improve you have to do the work (therapy). therapy led me to 12-step (al-anon) led me to transpersonal encounter group work led me to the work of byron katie (www.thework.com). i found that exercise helped too. at each stopping point in my journey, i had HUGE revelations about myself, my past, my patterns, and the nature of the mind itself. as i got better and better, i also experienced what i consider catacalysmic spiritual unfoldings.

while i only stayed on medication for one year, i realized when i let go of it that my new "medication" was to keep exercising, keep doing my emotional work, and keep building my awareness of my connection to God. i had to be as diligent about doing those things as i was about taking that pill every day. then i found raw foods, and that, in combination with all the other stuff, has allowed me to achieve a level of emotional health and wellbeing that i never thought possible. i used to fear depression, and also fear that it might mean i was bipolar. now i am confident that depression is in my past. i can't get depressed. and if i did, i feel like i have developed a big enough toolbox to quickly get out.

i offer all of this in the hopes that it will be of some use to you. and i wish you lots of blessings on your journey. i have come to view my own illness as an incredible blessing in my life. it prompted me to pursue so many wonderful things -- including raw foods.

Date: March 06, 2008 01:54AM

Right, I talked to my docter before changing the dose lol.
It is a goal to run on entirely raw food, and it's taking some adjusting to the new ways of preparation and ingredients, but I hope for health. :-)
Today I made my first raw pie, a strange mix:
Crust:
soaked and blended raw peanuts, cashews and hazelnuts, and a banana.
Filling:
diced apples

I had the crust sitting out in the sun today for 6 hours, and now I have the whole pie sitting in the freezer. I just decided to throw some ingredients in a blender and see how it turned out. Time will tell whether or not this apple pie was worth the try.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 06, 2008 06:49AM

Before I started eating raw I did not realize how much of a fog I was in. I usually tend towards being very depressed. when I was eating raw foods I started to feel and a fog was lifted from me. I did not know just what to do with the feelings I was haveing. It was like an awakening. Just from the time in November and now I have not been eating all raw. I am experianceing that fog once again and I am haveing some difficulty with memory. This time though I know and understand just what to do to change. I need to eat raw foods in order to not feel depressed and to lift that brain fog. In the past my Dr. has given me different anti depressants to take. Some of them made me feel better but over all they really did not help as much as changing my diet. I am convinced that we are what we eat and our foods directly affect our moods. I am on the road to being all raw once again.

Date: March 06, 2008 03:45PM

Pampam I feel the same way. When I eat raw I feel so much happier. I don't know if it's a weight thing(before raw I was pretty overweight and am on my way down now) or if the food really affects our moods, but I know I feel happier. I feel that same fog that you're talking about when I eat regular food, especially on the few occasions when I have slipped and eaten meat(hey I am a recent vegetarian).

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 06, 2008 04:57PM

all this type of eating is fairly new to me. At first I thought the happy feeling was due to loseing some weight but now I am certain it is because of the foods I eat. I feel lighter when eating raw foods as well. I just can't wait till the watermellens start comeing back. I miss the watermellens.

Date: March 06, 2008 05:19PM

Me too! I'm dying for some good watermelon and canteloupe right now. I can't wait for summer to get here.

Date: March 06, 2008 05:43PM

I had half an organic cantaloupe for breakfast this morning. It was soooo juicy and full of flavor! Okay, I'm done rubbing it in. LOL

Date: March 06, 2008 05:46PM

I had one too, but it just didn't taste very good. It wasn't sweet.

Date: March 06, 2008 06:39PM

Cantaloupes are one of my favorite melons. I love that they are so fragrant and sweet. I try and eat at least half a cantaloupe a day. Usually with breakfast:

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables