Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Staying All Raw
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 17, 2008 06:16AM

Staying all raw is easy for me because I really like raw foods. Earlier tonight after eating a really good crisp apple I was thinking how easy the eating part of the raw food lifestyle is. I just love eating fresh raw foods. The hard part for me is getting past an occassional detox. Whats the easiest and/or hardest part of being all raw for you ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Staying All Raw
Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: March 17, 2008 10:13AM

The hardest thing for me is my attachment to my mother and the connection to the foods she has made. She has cancer and may die without a transplant. I am sicilian and they really don't understand raw vegetables. They like the fruit part but vegetables should be cooked. That and they don't believe that two big plates of salad and no meat can be a meal.The foods that I grew up eating makes me feel connected to my Mom.

The second most difficult thing for me is releasing my love of ethnic foods. That has been a process but most cuisines are being knocked out one by one. My relapses to cooked foods keep enlightening me to the way different foods make me feel. I just don't enjoy most things or rather the way they make me feel. I also find that the memory of those foods is much better than the reality of it. Say Thai from the same place that you used to eat just doesn't taste the same as the memory of when you ate it. The exception this is my Mom's food which always tastes good but doesn't always make me feel well.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 17, 2008 02:19PM

All cooked food (except for baked potatoes, but even some steamed things, now, too) are starting to taste literally dead, rotten, cheesy, and substanceless to me. It's interesting, because the memories of these things are so fond, but the reality is totally different. I used to work at a lot of different restaurants, so I, too, struggled with parting from many exotic flavors--but the few herbs I do miss, I can work into a fresh, raw dish--Thai or Indian curries, for example.

The SMELL is what gets me. First, I missed every bite of the taste of these foods, but now the taste and feelings are not so good (enough to keep me away). But the smell! If only my nose registered the smell as being the smell of something deleterious to my health... then I would be truly free.

Ha. Maybe next month I'll see more improvements. My nose seems to be a source of considerable mini-detox each morning, and it DOES seem to be getting more sensitive...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2008 02:48PM

The hardest part for me is that I LOVE starch!
And most all starch is cooked....bread,baked beans,pizza,pasta.
Those are what I miss most eating raw.
But I am sure the more raw I eat,the less those cravings will bother me.
Brian

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 17, 2008 03:06PM

Great thread, EZ rider.

I agree with carsick8 in that it's incredibly disheartening to find out how toxic our environment actually is. Some people may not understand this, but I grieve over what we've done to the planet. I'm not a tree-hugging, save the whales, advocate either. Just look at your situation, EZ rider, you're admirably, 100% raw and still go through occasional detox. That shouldn't have to be. You're doing all you can to care for your body and still have to suffer from other people's abuse. It's like non-smokers having to put up with second hand smoke.

I also agree with phantom, in that the smells still get to me. I'll be honest and say that I haven't quite gone raw yet. There were situations in my life that I had to get through first. I don't talk about them here because I already know what people will say, "Do what's best for YOU and work around the cooked food situations and commitments." I appreciate that and will definitely be living that once my commitments are done. But, until then, the smells are tough. I'm hoping to become immune to them after awhile.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 17, 2008 05:14PM

The hardest part for many....even ones that don't realize it....is really the SOCIAL aspect. Even long-term raw food people come up against it. Me personally, I have a sort of punk-rocker, mis-spent youth background....so being accomodating socially is important to show love to others...but has never been my major focus. As such, whipping out an apple (or just not eating) while friends and family eat pizza....has never been a sacrifice, temptation or problem for ME personally.

-At this point? The 'easiest point' is how easy and convenient it is for me to eat. I carry my food with me! No cooking involved! The only 'hard part', if there could be said to be one, involves going 'within' and identifying what YOU feel strongly about...and being honest about that....and the challenge of setting VERY SMALL and realistic goals. Even the masters must do the same things - you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 17, 2008 05:38PM

I just got to work and already I'm getting e-mails to come partake in irish "potatoes" for st. patricks day.

I can just tell people I'm eating green soup. (cucumber avacado and mint!)

-DaveK

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 17, 2008 06:57PM

David said,

The hardest part for many....even ones that don't realize it....is really the SOCIAL aspect. Even long-term raw food people come up against it. Me personally, I have a sort of punk-rocker, mis-spent youth background....so being accomodating socially is important to show love to others...but has never been my major focus. As such, whipping out an apple (or just not eating) while friends and family eat pizza....has never been a sacrifice, temptation or problem for ME personally.

First of all, I can't picture the punk-rocker background on you. LOL Not our David! Secondly, I feel exactly the way you do about showing love to others and accomodating others in a social setting. The social aspect of it that's difficult for me is not having someone to share the lifestyle with. I'm not talking about a wife, but even just a friend in the same city to get together with.

Itzdavey said,

I can just tell people I'm eating green soup. (cucumber avacado and mint!)

Oooh! Could I have that recipe, please? That sounds amazing!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 17, 2008 07:00PM

^ With a squeeze of lime!

Posted by: rawvnessa9 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 10:54PM

I grew up with delicious cooked foods all the time because my mom is a professional chef... and still is. Now, I've traded that lifestyle for better health and yet it is hard to sit at the table with my salad and fresh fruits while my family devours penne al fresco, pie, or chocolate bread pudding. Regardless, I am proud of my choice and feel so strong whenever I resist.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 18, 2008 01:46AM

hardest things for me are:
1. that i feel i put pressure on my overweight / unhealthy friends and make them feel intimidated by what i am eating (eg my raw salad vs their BBQ suasages and white bread) and also that I feel superior, I guess that's the best word, like my salad IS superior to their choice of food. This doesn't help friendships, both in the way I feel and the way they feel. Others think I'm weird, but I don't mind that so much.

2. when I'm tired / low, I think about coffee and chocolate.

3. I also get frustrated, having an awareness of environmental toxicity, that I can't make a perfectly healthy environment for myself.

4. I LOVE cooked food smells, but it doesn't really tempt me.

5. the cost and also the time being raw takes up

What do I love about being raw? I feel good. Actually I feel great. So does my husband which makes me so happy. I feel like I'm looking after my body for the first time in my life and looking after my family.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: March 18, 2008 02:20AM

What a great question.

I'm 100% and it's the easiest part for me as I love raw foods. I slipped up a few times in the past year, but now I don't require cooked food at all. I don't even really smell it anymore. However, I do smell fresh fruits and vegetables. Everything smells "alive". I finally got over the hump. Edit: Actually of course I still smell cooked food, what I meant to say is it doesn't have the same impact on me. Processes differently in my brain now I guess.

The hardest part at the moment is navigating living with a non-raw housemate who microwaves, boils and fries everything. The other aspect of this is I'm always asked what I'm eating and preparing when I'm in the kitchen. The reason it's hard is because the question is asked in judgement and with skepticism, not because my roommate wants to learn how to make a raw gourmet dish. I would be delighted to share otherwise, but it's really because I know she's intimidated by what I'm eating. Innately she knows there's something going on here. When I offer raw food to her she tastes little bites of it as if I dipped the food in poison. LOL. The irony. (see microwave comment above). The blessing in this situation is I can see how far I've come and it keeps me in check of what a lot of people still actually eat...food that doesn't even look like food to me anymore. I should thank her for this, but I do wish her good health too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 02:30AM by rawangel.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 19, 2008 04:27PM

The easiest part for me is the no cooking, minimal cleanup aspect of things. I backslid a little the other day and made some rice and beans and when I was cleaning up I started thinking about how much I hate cooking and having to scub and scrape pots and pans. When I'm done with my apple, I throw the core in my compost heap and I'm done, same with watermelon or a banana. I love having basically no garbage to throw away. Between recycling and composting my trash is zilch. Ok maybe that's a couple things I like about being raw.

The hardest things for me....cravings. I'm pregnant though, so I hope that will get easier once I have the baby. I started going raw about a month before I found out, so I was still in the transition period when I started wanting all kinds of crazy food. I'm keeping myself on a mostly vegan diet if not 100% raw though so I'm doing my best to stay healthy.

Date: March 19, 2008 04:46PM

Hey Itzdavey who do you tech support for? I didn't know there were any other techies on here.

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 19, 2008 05:37PM

hardest...

smell, social aspects.

and it used to be popcorn...but no more, i'm over that.

easiest

the light feeling.
of the body mind and spirit.

Date: March 19, 2008 06:04PM

Simple Living Wrote:

> Itzdavey said,
>
> I can just tell people I'm eating green soup.
> (cucumber avacado and mint!)
>
> Oooh! Could I have that recipe, please? That
> sounds amazing!

Oops, sorry for the delay. I keep missing threads.

It's just what it says basically. One cucumber, one avacado, and some mint. I just throw it all in my processor until it gets creamy. It's sooo refreshing.

When I first read the recipe it said that the mint was optional - uh uh! I'm putting bigger handfuls in each time I make it.

Date: March 19, 2008 06:06PM

brenna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Itzdavey who do you tech support for? I didn't
> know there were any other techies on here.

A company called computeraid. www.compaid.com

Great place to work. No a-holes! Been working there almost 6 years.

-DaveK

Date: March 20, 2008 04:22PM

Damn nothing in Arizona. I work for Go Daddy. Good money...but the environment is iffy. I think I'm just sick of working in a call center though.

Date: March 20, 2008 05:24PM

I'm very comfortable at my job (which can be dangerous). The main thing is that I like the people I work with. Most jobs have that "one person" that's in the office that you cant' stand. No matter where you go! But somehow I hit it lucky with this one.

Even though it's a call center, a helpdesk, which is a naturally hostile environment (becuase of the customers, not the employees) I stick it out in an effort to work on myself and my dealings with other people. I have no intention of climbing the ladder or whatever they call it these days. I've been offered higher paying jobs, but that usually just means more BS and less time for personal growth. So I'm good for now. smiling smiley

-DaveK

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 20, 2008 09:36PM

The hardest part with me is controlling my energy without cooked foods to soothe my stomach after consuming caffeinated beverages.

I'm not sure which is better - coffee or the energy drinks with less artificial stuff - but either way they give me what I can only describe as massive hunger pangs (or stomach irritation?) that are not soothed by raw foods.... and not having caffeine is not an option - even as a kid, with out caffeine I had a terrible time concentrating and as an adult it really effects my work performance to NOT have it.

It's a bit of a pickle for me right now. Not sure what to do about that knawing stomach feeling associated with caffeine, but can't get the energy to stay awake all night without it.

Suggestions appreciated!

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables