Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Detoxing
Posted by: cpak ()
Date: March 17, 2008 10:21PM

I have been trying to eat raw food as much as I can for over a month now. I feel great, but am not sure if I'm detoxing. What are the symptoms and signs of detox?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2008 10:23PM by cpak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detoxing
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 18, 2008 01:49AM

there are a lot of signs / syptoms. Too many for me to write. Perhaps the most common are headaches, tiredness, mucous, cold / flu, negative thoughts / emotions & mouth ulcers.
I have been raw for 3.5 months and I've only experienced very mild detox symptoms so far: 2 headaches and a bit of mucous down the back of my nose. None of these lasted long or were very severe.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 18, 2008 02:14AM

EZ Rider on this forum recently posted a great article on just this subject in answer to another thread. here it is...

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an interesting article titled "The Healing
> Crisis":
>
> [www.falconblanco.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 18, 2008 08:31AM

Call me a cranky old curmudgeon but when I see the word "detox" I think not enough calories.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 18, 2008 12:30PM

The above posts are certainly correct. Symptoms can be physical, emotional, or ups and downs in energy. Even your muscles and joints can react...as can major elimination sources like the skin (acne) or bowels (diarhea). And as pointed out, make sure that you are staying full, eating enough calories, and eating a wide variety of fresh, raw plant foods. Make sure to change and transition at a pace that is right for YOU. If you start slow...you can always speed up if things are TOO easy! LOL.

-Power and success to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawvnessa9 ()
Date: March 18, 2008 05:07PM

so a cold or flu is a typical detox symptom?

i havent been sick for a year but now that I have started this I feel like I am coming down with something.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 18, 2008 06:03PM

arugula Wrote:
> Call me a cranky old curmudgeon but when I see the
> word "detox" I think not enough calories.

I have to say I find your skepticism healthy and refereshing. Too many people attempting to live healthier lives tend to buy into what they hear a bit too quickly sometimes.

I have done fasts and cleanses and such, and I know they are beneficial for me, and I know there is an initial phase of discomfort (headaches, etc). But I have never liked the word "detox" much and I can barely keep restrain my eyes from rolling when people speak of "toxins" and how such and such is "toxic."

I don't think the general idea is wrong - we eat bad stuff, we get rid of bad stuff. I just find the word "toxic" to be a bit dramatic, or hyperbole. Maybe "impurities" or something would be better.

I saw a youtube the other day where this raw food woman was talking about soaking almonds becuase the brown stuff on the outside was "toxic." Again, my eyes rolled uncontrollably...

-DaveK

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 18, 2008 06:28PM

Again, my eyes rolled uncontrollably...

You should see someone about that. You could be detoxing. winking smiley

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 18, 2008 06:33PM

Simple Living Wrote:
> Again, my eyes rolled uncontrollably...
>
> You should see someone about that. You could be
> detoxing. winking smiley

LOL!

Touche.

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: March 18, 2008 10:33PM

hey Rawvanessa,

I have been trying to muster energy to post for 3 days. This is my 10th day raw and I have the worst flu/cold I have ever had in my life! I am really wondering if it is also a cold - that is to say, is your system going through so much during 'detox' that it can't fight these nasty viruses or what not. If this is detox, wow...I have not been sick in years, so it's frustrating and perplexing. Plus, I have no appetite. Wondering if I should get a little miso soup in me,to slow this down, I just have to get to work tomorrow, and as it is I can barely walk across the room. Glad to know I am not the only one who has whatever we have!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 19, 2008 02:08AM

Here's a link to an article by David Klein called Detoxification.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 02:21AM

arugula Wrote:
> Call me a cranky old curmudgeon but when I see the
> word "detox" I think not enough calories.
That's the method of a Detox. You can only cleanse
so much on a regular Raw Food Diet. To get really Pure, you have
to 'shock' your system.......WY

Date: March 19, 2008 07:53PM

Grayzie Wrote:
> I have been raw for 3.5 months and I've only
> experienced very mild detox symptoms so far: 2
> headaches and a bit of mucous down the back of my
> nose. None of these lasted long or were very
> severe.

speaking of detox, how's your homeopathic cleanse going, grayzie??

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 20, 2008 03:59PM

I think for me detox means your body reacting to abuse!!!

I have had a really bad week with eating. I have eaten a ton of cooked, junk, processed, you name it I've eaten it.

Then yesterday I told myself "enough" and had a lovely 100% raw day. Lots and lots of fruit and salads to say sorry to my poor body. Felt so good.

Today, I feel like death. blocked up nose, sore throat, headache, aching limbs..only got out of bed because I had to get presents for my Dad's birthday. Now, that I am sure is my body chucking out all those awful toxins from the past few days. (I wish it had chosen another day to do it, though, had booked leave off work for today and planned lots of nice things what a waste of a day off GRRRRR...)

One day, I'm going to STAY raw and stop putting myself through this smiling smiley

Date: March 20, 2008 07:06PM

hey Claire,

I am sorry you feel so cruddy now. And the beating up on ourselves never helps, does it? You know, I have tried at various times for over 3 yrs to go totally raw and am starting to look at those time I "failed" as invaluable lessons. Sounds cheesy but it's true. One thing I did this time, that really helped me was I made two sheets of paper for the fridge/cabinets (I live with someone who eats meat and processed foods) - kind of the pain and pleasure theory - on one side I wrote : If you eat cooked/processed, this is what you get, and then I listed every phrase, word, brainstorm I could think of while I was feeling crappy. Then on the other piece of paper, I put: If you eat raw/living, this is what you will be, and put amazing words, empowering phrases etc. I also took a used business card, taped paper over each side and put the pain and pleasure trigger words on each side. I keep it in my wallet now smiling smiley

Don't know if that would help you but thought I'd mention it. And after RE-toxing sooooo many times, too, those experiences have become invaluable. Good luck!!!!!

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 20, 2008 08:08PM

Hi RawKitty

That was kind of you to post, thank you smiling smiley

I also live with a SAD eater, so the fridge idea is a good one.

while I've been ill today I've used the opportunity to read my brand new 80/10/10 book and WOW it's good. I feel inspired again and have had another 100% raw day.

I think you're right about all these experiences teaching us for the future.

Thanks

Claire

Date: March 20, 2008 09:08PM

that's great Claire you got another Raw Day in. I love reading my raw books again for inspiration too. have a restful rest of the day!

Date: March 20, 2008 10:58PM

a day at home resting and learning and actively helping your body rid itself of toxic goo sounds like a BEAUTIFUL day to me. there is important work being done and you are doing it! good on ya!

i always try to view my slip ups from the 10 year lens... looking back at myself ten years from now, from the perspective of a 48 year old experienced rawfoodist. all these little stumbling blocks seem like minor gaffes at worst, and important learning experiences at best. RK is right, and good for you for being gentle with yourself, as that is one of the KEY things that i have learned in this process. when i beat myself up, i struggle. when i treat myself kindly, everything comes easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables