Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating fruit all day, and vegetables in the evening?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:26PM

Is it better to eat fruits all day, and then have some vegatables/nuts/sprouts for super?

I dont know if what im saying is related to the 80/10/10 diet or natural hygiene...I'm a bit confused, and i don't know much about these diets anyway...
I just want opinions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating fruit all day, and vegetables in the evening?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:34PM

I know a lot of people do it that way. The theory is that fruit is good for cleansing, and greens are good for building. If you clean first, then build up this seems like a good plan. I frequently include greens in my breakfast, though, when I have green smoothies. Overall, I do tend to glut on fruit early in the day, though.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:15PM

Fruit during the day and Greens in the afternoon-evening is a good plan. I've always had trouble 'shifting gears'. Fruit is more addictive......WY

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:15PM

Most prefer or have better luck this way, but it is up to the person when it comes down to it. Whatever helps you progress. If you are just starting your chances of continuing are better this way I think :O)

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:34PM

Why put the body into a perpetual state of cleansing with fruit all days.
I prefer to eat in the morning after an all night dry fast.
I prefer green juices and greens in the morning and not eat in the afternoon or eat just fruits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 05:35PM by madinah.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 20, 2008 09:08PM

My experience/opinion is to eat the heaviest and most fibrous foods that require the most intensive digestion (fats and fibrous vegetables) when you are most active. For most, this would be between 11 am - 6 pm. Eating the same amounts, but lighter foods during break-fast and later in the day before bed. Just one take.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 20, 2008 09:46PM

ok...So ...

When i go to school i'm always hundry, and if i have lunch there, well it has to be hearty, cause i'm sure to be hungry an hour later... So i could start the day with fruits, eat a big salad for lunch, and eat more fruits for the rest of the day?

Date: March 20, 2008 11:08PM

Ofcourse you can. Try it and see how it works for ya. There is no set rules, just some general guidelines people follow. You have to choose the way that fits where you are at in your so-called journey. Keep it simple and don't over complicate it :O)

Date: March 20, 2008 11:24PM

well that is good news... I tought that i had too eat alot more vegetables than fruits in my "raw jounrey" but i'm glad i can eat more fruits...

Im presently reading fit for life, buy Harvey Diamond, he recommands to eat fruit until noon, and then stop eating at 8pm.
But he also says that fruit dont go in the stomach to be digested, they pass directly through the digestive system, and then the intestines takes all whats good from them... True?

Date: March 20, 2008 11:33PM

Umm... most fruit doesn't require a lot of breaking down and passes through your stomach pretty quickly, but it does go through there. One of the reasons we all have such long, twisty intestines is to give a lot of opportunity to grab useful nutrients (and even bacteria) through the intestine wall. This is true for fruit, and other foods as well. The cleaner your intestinal tract is, the better this can be accomplished.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: March 20, 2008 11:49PM

I don't know about anyone else but just the thought of veggies and sprouts on an empty stomach kinda makes me feel queasy. Might just be a matter of getting used to though like most things I guess.

I've enjoyed a plant-based diet going on 20 years now, which for me has tended to pretty consistently involve fruit in the mornings, more fruit midday with some form of nut and/or seeds (milk, butter or as is), then vegetables, sprouts, grains (not cooked) for dinner. If I just eat fruit all day long with no substantive protein or fat I feel tired and lightheaded...no matter how much or what kind of fruit I eat. But that's just me. I'm also pretty active and do bikram yoga most mornings (which is intense for those of you familiar), so my motor tends to run high.

When I don't try to over-run what my body's telling me with all the sundry views and methods out there everything seems to flow better. Like many of the wise people on this board have said, there really are no do's or don'ts. Just common sense, an open mind, and the willingness to explore until you find what works for you.

My two cents, for what they're worth.

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Date: March 20, 2008 11:51PM

Ok Mira, I need a spell check I see :O)

I don't think Harvey is a raw foodist either, take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt anyhow. Only you can decide. Besides, think of how many books and opinions there are out there. Even among the Raw Food Gurus. They can't be all right or wrong. Take a piece of everyone maybe?? One person will tell you too many fruits are bad, the next will tell you nothing but fruit and it goes on and on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 11:55PM by tanawana.

Date: March 21, 2008 12:20AM

frances
yes of course, fruit passes trough the tummy!! haha i wasnt very clear, sorry... He meant that they were mostly digested in the mouth (by saliva) and they really dont stay for a long time in the stomach...

Tanawana

Yes, i have learned that people oriented in natural/well being stuff, tend to have VERY different opinions...

I think i will try to eat fruit all day, but still have my green salad with sprouts for lunch, or else i cant concentrate well...

Oh! I keep forgeting to ask this... I sometimes put fruits in my salads (oranges, apples, mangos...) Is that a bad idea? Since they pass so fast through the system? I also put about 15 kinds of vegatables when i make my salads, is that way too much? Should i limit myself to 3-4 kinds only?

Date: March 21, 2008 12:48AM

You'll probably get a lot of different theories about food combining when it comes to making really complex salads. I'm not one of those with strong sensitivity to food combining principles (so far), so I'm not the one to set out the guidelines. I would say that if you are comfortable with it there's no reason not to pile a green salad with all kinds of fruits and veggies. I love fruits in my salad. The only veggies I omit are for reasons of texture. I hate biting into a hard carrot or broccoli in my salad. Sometimes I grate the carrots and enjoy it a lot more, but that's more effort. Stricter rules might be worth trying, especially if you have digestive distress, but aren't necessarily necessary!

I was pretty sure you understood that fruit did pass through the stomach, but your question struck me oddly. In my non-expert way I think of the stomach as the place where hard and complex foods are disassembled into manageable pieces. Fruit generally doesn't require this step, though several have tough peels which require some deconstruction (apples, cucumbers).

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:02AM

Mira: At first, you may not notice any problems with all sorts of food combining. You might NEVER. But for some, simplifying one's intake CAN result in better digestion, assimilation and elimination. That's a good deal of tions goin on. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 21, 2008 01:25AM

well i've noticed that i'm alot more sensitive than before, last week, i ate something that wasnt raw, and my tummy started making these awful noises and then i had... lets say a liquid number 2... But i usually feel ok even if i put everything i have in my salad... I need to get used to all of this tough, so i may change my mind on these complex salads later on... For the moment, i enjoy them alot.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:44AM

I eat mostly fruit during the first two meals. Breakfast and lunch and snacks are almost always fruit. I have started drinking green smoothies for breakfast. Other than that it is all sweet delicious fruit for me.

Dinner is usually vegetables - I eat a small cooked dinner so I eat some rice, steamed and spicy vegetables or soups etc., If I am still hungry after two hours or so, I eat another fruit.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:52AM

i don't think combining fruit with your veggies is a good idea. However, I think a variety or fruit and veggies is a good idea.

Date: March 21, 2008 11:23PM

maybe not... but its so good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables