Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

we all have a eating disorder
Posted by: mykmyk ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:45AM

read this link!! It will make you laugh!!!!!

[redeye.chicagotribune.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: we all have a eating disorder
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:09AM

Will someone please come up with a name (i.e. clinical term) for those poor folks obsessed with calling others orthorexics.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:41AM

Hahahahahaha! LS, how about iudicophile? from the latin "to judge" and greek "to love/be attracted to".

bonus that it kinda sounds like "idiotic".

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2008 03:33AM

Oh please.
And the next thing you will see is a pill for it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2008 04:29AM

ahem, i gotta say, over the years the people on here chalking hair loss and loose teeth up to "detox" fit the bill. sorry peeps, just like anything else there are some who take this too far. in all things ~ balance ~

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 05:13AM

I agree with coco--but was that article saying *vegans* are orthorexic? Freaking ridiculous--just because someone can't imagine giving up an addiction (SAD food), doesn't mean those who *do* have some self-destructive disease. And they quote Michael "happy meat" Pollan, who thinks the country's health problem is too *much* focus on healthy eating. I know he's probably ultimately doing more good than bad, but to me he seems really naive (at best).

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:59AM

I don't think much of Pollan either. But a lot of omnivore types who consider themselves enviromentally saavy and aware and all that just love the guy.

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: March 21, 2008 12:20PM

that article is a bit over the top. what's wrong with being conscience of what your putting in your body!@!!
it's way better than shoveling who knows what in your mouth.
brooke

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 12:36PM

It's also saying that if you don't enjoy eating there's something wrong with you. If "enjoyment" is the indicator of "doing the right thing," then I wonder why people don't "enjoy" giving themselves insulin shots, or taking meds for heart disease with heavy side effects, etc.... cuz those are all effects of eating just whatever one "enjoys." Maybe that is insulinexia or pillphobia. Sounds like just more of the "If it feels good, do it!" instant gratification in everything theory to life.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 21, 2008 12:54PM

Totally ridiculous. Of course some people love Pollen - he justifies their way of eating and makes them feel better about something that most people innately know is not "the way." I see my family doing it all the time - justifying WHY they HAVE to eat meat. And, then when a professional backs it up, they think he/she is god. Interesting, but I agree with whoever said it - those are the people with disordered eating. Coming from someone who HAS struggled with an eating disorder for years, I believe that a lot of my food issues were triggered mostly by an overload of poor quality SAD foods growing up. (Think hamburger helper on a regular basis!! EWWWW)

Date: March 21, 2008 01:39PM

ohhhh it gets better check out this boy!!!!! he is F@&*ED UP!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 21, 2008 03:05PM

The article described orthorexics as obsessing for several hours a day about their food, and choose packaged "health" foods over whole foods. I don't think that this describes most of the people here, so I don't feel attacked or threatened by it. I do think it's odd that they focused on a seemingly well-balanced vegan to harrass with questions, but they probably just couldn't find someone who was truly food obsessed to interview.

BTW, that guy in the YouTube video mykmyk posted would have been a better candidate for the interview. His obsession does seem to have reached a point where it dominates his thought processes!

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: March 21, 2008 03:22PM

They should come up with a fancy name for people who don't care about their health.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 04:19PM

Oh I have a "friend" who thinks that I have some kind of eating disorder because I have given up dairy and processed stuff (like baked foods etc) She even tells my other friends that I am losing too much weight and I am doing something strange...

I don't know what to do about it, except I have ignored that. I have always been a vegetarian, just gave up milk products thats all. And swithced to 80% raw. I lost 20 lbs with that. So she thinks that I am eating nothing and making myself thin.

If I have to eat meat and cakes to prove that I don't have an eating disorder, then no way. Let me have my "eating disorder" and be happy with it.

A Iyer

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 21, 2008 04:58PM

I'm in the same situation as you anuiyer7...

A couple of weeks ago, i was talking to my friend about my new diet, and she just had that strange looking face (i find it very insulting) and she just said " why dont you eat normal food??!!!"..... haaaaaaaaa.... It would of been a bit cruel, but maybe i should of answered something like "well if you were eating like me, you wouldnt be as fat lady...!"

One thing i noticed, and that is really annoying, is that when you are "too" thin, people think you have an eating disorder... But on the other hand, if you are fat, you get critics too...

I think that being VERY thin is the ideal, even a couple of pounds of excess weight is harmfull...

Date: March 21, 2008 05:51PM

Yes I know their is more going on in that boy's ( youtube boy) head, then he is telling us. That is for damn sure!! If anything the raw food would have helped him?!?!?!?!!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 21, 2008 05:52PM

mykmyk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related

"do you find that as the quality of your food has increased, the quality of your life has diminished?" NO. QUITE THE OPPOSITE ACTUALLY.

"do you care more about the virtue of what you eat than the pleasure you receive from eating it?" NO I JUST RECOGNIZE THAT THE TWO DON'T HAVE TO BE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. AND I FIND THAT BEING CONSCIOUS OF THE "VIRTUE" OF WHAT I EAT DIRECTLY RESULTS IN RECEIVING MORE PLEASURE FROM ALL ASPECTS OF MY LIFE.

"do you feel an increased sense of self esteem when you eat healthy food" YES, BUT NOT IN THE WAY YOU THINK! "...and a feeling of superiority towards people who don't" WHEN I NOTICE THAT I AM JUDGING SOMEONE ELSE'S EATING, I BRING My ATTENTION BACK 100% TO MYSELF. SO THE TRUE ANSWER IS SOMETIMES, BUT I'M WORKING ON IT.

"do you sacrifice experiences you once enjoyed to eat the food you think is right" NO

"do you feel an intense sense of loathing when you stray from your diet?" NO

by the way, i don't think the YouTube guy is f'd up. he just has a serious eating disorder, and he's trying to get control of it. i salute him. its pretty common human behavior to see everyone else through the lens of your own experiene, thus his statement to the effect of "the majority of raw foodists, macrobiotic, vegans, and vegetarians have this disease to some degree". that's a BS statement in my opinion, but a common viewpoint of someone struggling with addiction, especially early on in recovery. i have a friend who is an alcoholic, and when she started recovery she was pretty sure everyone who raised a drink to their lips was an alcoholic "to some degree".

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 21, 2008 07:37PM

When people tell me I'm weird or that what I eat is weird I just smile and say thank you.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:16PM

I think that the youtube-boy has an emotional(family?) problem that he takes on food to help him.He splits himself to be save,because if he could say everything that he thinks ,like the orthorexia-side of him,he would feel guilt for being not polite,so he eats/not eat/and behaves polite(in a soft manner) because he can't say anything.
I think he would be happier he didn't have so much guilt.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: March 21, 2008 11:30PM

HAHAH
Ok ok this is what i got from that......
"making food a hoby is only ok if your not making healthy choices."
thats so funny.
I guess who ever wrote that forgot the fact that america is all about food these days.
When family comes in to town...you go out to eat,
on a date....you go out to eat.
with friends...you go out to eat.
one one street their are up to 20 choices of restaurants....food is entertainment to america these days.
I choose to only eat food that i prepair my self and that my body like...and i am the crazy one...thats funny!
seriously...

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: March 22, 2008 11:04PM

This is just more of the same nonsense touted in the video on that other thread.

"Celio Doyle said doctors don't diagnose orthorexia because it's not recognized as a medical disorder, and therefore, research about orthorexia is limited."

Of course doctors don't diagnose it as a medical disorder because...HELLO...it's not!! What next?

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: March 24, 2008 05:38PM

I would rather have an eating disorder ( be skinny) than have an eating disorder ( be fat) LOL!!!

I love you all.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: March 30, 2008 01:52PM

Iudicophile! haha - I know a lot of people who are iudicophiles.

I've read about the guy who came up with the term, orthorexia, and he was a food preparer at a commune/retreat type place. For every meal he had to come up with about 6 different meals to suit the slightly different requirements of the people there. It would be like having to prepare food for all the people on this board with all their different tastes!

[www.orthorexia.com]
My disillusionment began in the old days at the commune. As staff cook I was required to prepare several separate meals at once to satisfy the insistent and conflicting demands of our members. All communes attract idealists; ours attracted food idealists. On a daily basis I encountered the chaos of contradictory nutritional theories.

Our main entree was always vegetarian, but a vocal subgroup insisted we serve meat. Since many vegetarians would not eat from pots and pans contaminated by fleshly vibrations, the meat had to be cooked in a separate kitchen.

We cooks also had to satisfy the vegans, who eschewed all milk and egg products. The rights of the Hindu-influenced crowd couldn't be neglected either. They insisted we omit the onion-family foods which, they believed, provoked sexual desire.

For the raw-foodists we always laid out trays of sliced raw vegetables, but the macrobiotic adherents looked at these offerings with disgust. They would only eat cooked vegetables. Furthermore, they believed that only local, in-season vegetables should be eaten, which led to frequent and violent arguments about whether the commune should spend its money on lettuce in January.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2008 01:55PM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 30, 2008 04:49PM

I'd rather be healthy than skinny any day. I actually correct people when they call me "skinny" because I am thin but very muscular (which you probably can't tell with clothes on).

I also like to quiz people who think I'm "weird" about what they put in their bodies. If they want to bring it up, I'll talk about it. But I don't criticize their diets openly and so if they want to try to do it to me (no one has), then it's on. :0

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables