Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicing vs smoothies
Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: March 27, 2008 01:34AM

Why would one choose to juice veggies or fruit instead of just blending the veggies or fruit into a smoothie?

What are the benefits of each?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicing vs smoothies
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:56AM

i'm a blender not a juicer only because i have a blender not a juicer.

dc

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 27, 2008 08:09AM

juices give your digestive system a rest. on the other hand, smoothies give you fiber, important for digestion. i think juices are more cleansing, and smoothies are more stabilizing.

i sort of instinctually feel like if i was trying to heal my body of cancer or something like that, i would juice A LOT (if not solely). but for everyday life the smoothies suit me better. but i don't really know, i'm like mrdc, i only have a blender (and a manual citrus juicer).

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 27, 2008 08:27AM

I just prefer juices - especially after hard physical effort like a run. they seem really restorative then.

Getting enough fibre isn't a problem on this diet I find.

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:09PM

I also prefer juices.

I used to love fruit smoothies, but funnily enough since getting into raw I haven't wanted any...weird! Maybe green smoothies put me off - I hate them.

Haven't used my blender for ages....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:16PM

I have been juicing alot less lately.
The juicer I have leaves a fair amount of pulp,and I hate just throwing that away.
I love smoothies made of fruit in a blender.I dont blend veggies though.I like mine as whole pieces you can pick up and eat.(Using forks and spoons alot less these days too!)
smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:07PM

When I first went raw, it was hard to digest even medium salads daily and so I got a juicer and I juiced daily for at least a year. Then my digestion perked up and functioned better I could eat huge salads with no problems and now I love green smoothies..which took me sometime to finally try one. Now I do them daily!

I plan on using my juicer more often though for fresh green juices during the summer. I make green juice on occasion but not like I used to because I do the green smoothies. I do use an electric citrus juicer for grapefruit, lemon, and orange juice though.

I love also fruit juices from my juicer but I hate wasting anything and so I would rather eat the fruit now then juice it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:13PM

Search the archives, there's a question on this at least every few weeks.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:38PM

I appreciate both my juicer and my blender. I just love fresh made carrot juice and apple J too. I also like what my VM does to make a SMOOTH smoothie like the young coconut juice & pulp smoothie. I also like eating whole foods especially fruits. Its all good. smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 27, 2008 07:22PM

I have to say, I like whole foods the best. Even if I make a delicious smoothie, I always feel like I'm missing that little special something about all the foods involved, if they're just kind of mashed together in a giant glass.

I do enjoy hand-squeezing my own orange juice with one of those $5 circle things from the grocery store... and having it with lots of lip-smacking pulp. <3

Bananas + coconut water make an awesome base for ANY smoothie. =)

Date: March 27, 2008 08:49PM

Ok...so variety is key : )
I think I would only juice certain things like carrots..b/c as a whole food, (i found out the hard way!) they are hard for me to digest!

Thanks!

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 27, 2008 09:48PM

I prefer not to juice my oranges. They are the perfect for smoothies after removing the outer skin

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 27, 2008 10:17PM

I have a green smoothie or veggie juice every morning,depend on the day.If I'm late for work I'll have the smoothie and later the juice,or if I have time in the morning I prefer to have the juice.For me both are delicious and indispensable,crucial,I have to have them.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 28, 2008 12:50PM

Because the same things blended do NOT taste the same juiced. I can get more variety with juicing because I like the taste better rather than the thick, texture pile of slop that would come out in the blender.

I also like the juice buzz and the idea of getting the nutrients absorbed instantly.

And also supposedly for the things you can't buy organic, question how "organic" they are but you want anyway...Juicing doesn't put pesticides or chemicals into the juice because it's stuck to the outside/pulp that the juicing removes.

Date: March 28, 2008 02:43PM

Like It Or Not...I just learned some good things from you! : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables