Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What to eat salsa with?
Posted by: kiki_day ()
Date: April 13, 2008 04:32PM

I can use avocado/gaucamole on a lot of things but salsa I'm having difficulty with. I love the combination of chips and salsa but I don't have a dehydrator to make the raw recipes for chips (i.e. sweet potato chips). I've tried eating salsa with slices of jacima or cucumbers and it isn't nearly as satisfying and I just end up frustrated. Any suggestions are welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to eat salsa with?
Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 13, 2008 04:52PM

It won't help with the crunch factor like a chip does but I like to use salsa as a salad dressing.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:02PM

i like to pour salsa over a fruit salad of mango and avocado chunks!

or just eat it out of a 1/2 avocado.

i don't do the dehydrator thing either, but i make sweet potato "chips" just by thin slicing sweet potatoes. at first i was lightly salting them (ha!) but now i don't. surprisingly tasty!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:10PM

veggie sticks! cucumber and radish slices, broccoli and cauliflower florets, celery (keep it wide so the curve is like a spoon).
use baby romaine leaves as a wrap shell and fill with veg, sprouts, etc and salsa. NUM!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:16PM

The answer to the question of memories of SAD foods like "chips" for me has been to open the door to fresh raw foods and enjoy the raw food eating choices available there. The ability to embrace the raw food lifestyle and find pleasure and health in my raw food eating is the foundation upon my being able to sustain the lifestyle over time. So far the delicious taste of the raw foods has enabled me to move through that door to the raw food lifestyle enjoying everyday of the journey. I suspect that some of the people who are not able to stay with this lifestyle are not able to transition away from SAD foods and find pleasure and health in the raw food lifestyle. One thing that has helped me tremendously in my raw journey is that I have experienced an awaking of my senses including my sense of taste that has allowed me to enjoy the taste of the raw foods more and more as my taste buds have become more sensitive and alive. The taste of my raw food meals gives me great pleasure and I am more then satisfied without "chips" and find my fresh raw food eating experience to be everything that I need it to be.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:58PM

PS, Harmony with the raw foods and the way they effect the way I feel has been the way I have found to open the door to all fresh raw eating. I don't try to look back to cooked foods but rather get in touch with the harmony I feel with the raw foods and the experience of living the lifestyle.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 13, 2008 07:34PM

Everything Coco said, DITTO here.

Before going raw/vegan, I often times would just scarf down salsa straight out of the jar or plastic container. Now when I make my own, I sometimes don't have enough to worry about how to eat it. I love the stuff and have a problem eating as I make it. YUM!

I love this food.

Every now and then I will get an urge for some "raw" flax crackers but not enough to justify the expense of a dehydrator. They have 'em at some health food stores. I don't *need* them though.

smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:15AM

A spoon!

I had the same quandary. Back in the day, I'd just load TONS of salsa/guac onto yummy brown rice chips... but then I realized... it was just the dip I was after, anyway!

Carrots, cucumber slices, and celery work. I like to go straight for the kill, though. >8)

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:27AM

Ok, here's another possiblity:

Mix the salsa with some almond cream and you have -- tada! -- southwestern ranch dressing!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 14, 2008 03:02AM

Any great salsa recipes out there?
I just made some this weekend, and was a bit disappointed that it didn't come out as good as usual. In fact, I used about 11 tomatoes (very ripe romas), cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, and onion. I ended up putting in salt and pepper, along with a tsp of sugar. EEEEK. It was still all raw, but I have been trying to avoid the salt and sugar altogether. (I was serving it at a party though) Any other tips? I should have used mango - how would that have tasted with all the other ingred though?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 14, 2008 05:36AM

Salsa works great as a sauce or dressing on a veggie pasta. I use a spiroli with english cucumbers as a pasta. Or I use the shredding disc on my 14 cup Cuisinart to make a quick pasta with cucumbers or celery.

Posted by: hemp0la ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:13PM

Mmm, I love salsa on salads, and I love to dip 'low-flavour' veggies in it, like celery and cucumber.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables