Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New Raw Fooder Needs Advice!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2008 09:57AM

Hello!

I'm a new raw food convert and am overflowing with questions....

I've read a previous thread on chickpeas and how they need to be soaked and sprouted, but how are the chickpeas dried in the first place? is it safe to assume this is done naturally or at a low temperature?

Also, can anyone recommend a store in the UK (in London or online) from which i can get all the stuff that's not so easily available in the regular shops... i.e. butters, superfoods, equipment etc... i've been looking around online and they all seem to be similarly priced.
Has anyone bought an excalibur from America and had it posted to UK?

Thirdly, where can i get date paste in the UK!? i've seen it in so many recipes!
If i can't find it, how do i make it?

Please help!!

Becky xx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Raw Fooder Needs Advice!!
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 20, 2008 11:06AM

Hi Becky,

Raw food mail order:

Detox Your World: [www.detoxyourworld.com]

Fresh Network: [www.fresh-network.com]

Funky Raw: [www.funkyraw.com]

Sprouty Stuff: [www.livingfood.co.uk]

Also, for price comparison on other stuff like equipment etc, try searching on Google's product search engine: www.froogle.co.uk

There's a health food chain in the UK (albeit a very small one!) called Food For Thought, who sell sprouting stuff, raw chocolate, pink himalayan salt etc.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:04PM

Hi Becky,

Welcome!

About your dry chickpea question:

I haven't grown chickpeas myself, but I have grown a variety of dry beans. Generally, if the bean pods are left to develop on the plant the beans dry fully in the pods. After harvest they need only be sorted out from the pods and sticks to become the dry beans that will appear on grocery shelves. While I assume that chickpeas have a similar development pattern, I don't know this from experience.

Shazzie's site is also based in the U.K.: [www.detoxyourworld.com]
I haven't ordered from her because I'm in the U.S., so I can't say much about her prices and service, but she's worth considering. She carries both food products and equipment.

I haven't seen date paste in recipes, but wouldn't that just be mashed dates? They would get quite paste-y. (If using dry dates you'd have to soak them first.)

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:49PM

Hi Becky,
You don't need any of those things. You can eat the simple, fresh, raw food lifestyle as many of us do and all you need for that is natural whole raw foods, so you can save on all the recipe books and equipment by getting rid of them. Eating fresh raw eliminates packaged and processed stuff so you only need to shop at farms and grocery stores with a produce department. You don't need a dehydrator, here's a recent link to a thread on this forum discussing dehydrators:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
To eat simple, fresh, whole raw foods all you need is a knife to cut them before eating them with no storage or delay time. The fresher the raw food the better.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 20, 2008 04:12PM

Hi Becky - I live in england too. I completely agree with EZ Rider - don't go and spend a load of money on stuff that you may find you don't want once the novelty has worn off. Shazzies website is REALLY expensive but they have pretty much cornered the market so can charge what they like.

Just eat lovely fresh fruit and veg and go from there. don't get caught up in all the hype - marketing forces are as alive and well in the raw food world as well as mainstream consumerism.

Best of luck with it all

Date: April 20, 2008 08:14PM

Great, thanks raw noggin!! I've checked out a few of those already, but i'll check out that last one 'food for thought'.....

Thanks again!

Date: April 20, 2008 08:21PM

Frances,

Not too sure i have the time to grow my own pulses right now.... i was thinking about the chickpeas you can buy dry in the packets at the supermarket... the whole food ones... i've seen lots of people referring to eating raw, sprouted chickpeas and making homous etc... I wonder what they use....
And about the date paste, yeah, i can probably make that myself!

EZ Rider,
I know where you're coming from, but i'm a bit of a food lover!! I like my dried fruit and crackers and i was kinda thinking that a dehydrator would come in handy.... I'll check out the forum for that thread you mentioned though...

Flipperjan, thanks to you also for replying, i can't believe how many people use this forum!

xx

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 21, 2008 03:05AM

I just dig giant bags of chick peas out of the bulk bin, and sprout them. If they sprout, regardless of the drying process, there is obviously enough life left in the seed so that it's still living. =) Though the process of drying would be interesting to learn more about.

Soak your chickpeas for 8 hours, drain, and then rinse every 8 hours for about two days. When the tails are as long as the pea, they are perfect (but I like them with longer tails, too).

And, they make a lovely hummus. It's MUCH more full-bodied and flavorful than regular hummus--the cooked stuff tastes rotten, cheesy, and fluffy to me now in comparison. (My boyfriend says the raw stuff tastes "like earth."winking smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 21, 2008 07:16AM

hi phantom

that sounds interesting
what do u put in it to flavor it up?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 21, 2008 12:10PM

does sound good....re the drying of seeds:

"Harvesting of chickpeas can take place when the seed moisture is 18%. It may test dry after harvest, but it takes some time for the moisture in the large seed to equalize across the entire seed."
[www.primaryinfo.com]

..those of us who have grown pulses in our gardens have seen first hand how the plant naturally dries the seed within the pod when the seed reaches maturity, so that the seed will be stable through the winter or until the rains come, or whatever the local climate may call for..

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: April 21, 2008 01:26PM

I'm not phantom, but sprouted hummus is one of my favorite foods, so I'll jump in here and tell you what I put in mine: I grind 1/4 cup of sesame seeds, then process it with a cup of chickpea sprouts, 1T olive oil, 1-2T lemon juice, 1-2 cloves of garlic, salt and pepper to taste, 1t. cumin and if I'm feeling spicy, I'll add some cayenne and a little dried pepper blend that my honey grew, dried, ground and blended. Yum!
Sundancer

Date: April 21, 2008 08:27PM

Wow, thank you so much phantom, i like your logic... if they sprout then they obviously still have life in them!! Whoopeee, I LOVE CHICKPEAS!!

And thanks sundancer, that recipe for houmous sounds yummilicious!! But when you say 1T olive oil, does that mean tea spoon or table spoon?

Also, does anyone know how to make raw vegan chocolate cake, if there is such a thing, or can at least recommend a good raw cook book?

Thanks everyone!! Hope your monday wasn't all that bad!!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 21, 2008 09:34PM

Hi Becky

There are a few shops in London which sell amazing fresh dates, they are so soft and squidgy they can be very easily mashed up into a paste. Where in London are you?

Wholefoods Market on Kensigton High Street has a very small section devoted to raw foods - cacao butter, mesquite, lucuma and raw chocolate bars, but they are quite expensive, probably cheaper to buy on line. (Particularly if you go to Funky Raw as mentioned above, that's my online shop!)

For organic fruit and veg, my favourite shop is Earth Natural Foods, near Kentish Town tube, [www.earthnaturalfoods.co.uk] - they also sell a few raw chocolate bars.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:20PM

2 cups sprouted chickpeas
2 tbsp. tahini, or to taste (I'd like to experiment with soaked sesame seeds)
juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic
pinch of sea salt
Optional: water/olive oil to texture.
Sprinkling with fresh parsley is lovely as well. So is blending a sun dried red pepper.

Basically, all you really need is the chickpeas/tahini/garlic/lemon--just experiment with the values and your food processor. I make it differently every time, and it never ever disappoints! =)

Date: April 22, 2008 04:27PM

Thanks Rob....
I live near Canary Wharf, E14.... I've just got back from india so i'm on a tight budget at the moment, but the minute i can afford to buy everything organic, i'll be up to earth natural foods.... isn't there an organic farmers market in london, somewhere on a sunday?

Phantom, thanks for that recipe! I'm soaking my chickpeas as we speak!! Lol, xx

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 22, 2008 04:33PM

There are lots of farmers markets on Saturday and Sunday, the details of a lot of them are on the website: [www.lfm.org.uk]

For the fresh dates I don't know anywhere in that area, I go to TFC (Turkish Food Centre) in Lewisham, there is one in Dalston which I guess is fairly close to you [www.tfcsupermarkets.com] (The fresh dates I get are not organic but they are cheap!)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables