Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beets!
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: April 26, 2008 09:08PM

OK, I bought beets for the first time ever last night. Um, now what? I've never had them in anything.

I mostly got them because I saw them in a few juicer recipes. However, the things are pretty big - not just the bulby part but the stalk as well. So is that whole part edible/juicable?

First I think I will try this:
5 Carrots
1 Apple
1/2 Beet

Since I"ve never had beets before. Just wondering if I should just use half a bulb or maybe throw the leaves in there too.

-DaveK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beets!
Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: April 26, 2008 09:14PM

beets add a great earthiness to juice. you may want to start small to see how your body reacts to the juice. and don't be afraid to use the tops...delicious..
one more thing don't be worried if you noticed red coloring in your poo because it happens when you consume beets.
i'm sure more peeps will chime in on this one.
i use the whole beet, skin and all.
good luck

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 26, 2008 09:16PM

The greens are edible as they are. The larger they are, the tougher they'll be, so you may want to shred them finely into a salad if they're large. If they're smaller, you can probably enjoy them whole. If you're juicing, they're all good. Stalks, if too large, are probably not worth the trouble unless you are juicing. The bulbs themselves I would recommend either juicing or blending. They can be good when chopped finely, but they'll dye most of your salad red. They're good in borcht-type soups, though I don't have any particular favorite recipes,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2008 09:21PM by frances.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 26, 2008 09:22PM

I love to juice beets with its green top. I also use beets on my salad.
Beets are excelent for cleanning your liver.

Date: April 26, 2008 11:29PM

Thanks everyone. Think I will stick with my 1/2 beet plan for now, then use the rest later.

-DaveK

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 27, 2008 12:14AM

That juice recipe you have is great. Add a little ginger and it is our fav.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 27, 2008 12:33AM

The entire beet plant is edible, the top, stalk and bulb. I like carrot/beet juice and apple/beet juice. Jay Kordich, the juiceman cautions not to use more then one large beet per person at a meal.

Date: April 27, 2008 01:05AM

pakd4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That juice recipe you have is great. Add a little
> ginger and it is our fav.

Consider it done. I've been adding ginger to everything!

I am drinking celery, green apple and ginger right now. Think that's gonna be my evening cocktail for awhile. smiling smiley

-DaveK

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:10AM

our Guinea pigs love the leftover beets, especially the leaves.

Guinea pigs are the perfect raw vegan companion. There are ones in shelters looking for good homes too smiling smiley!

Celery, green apple and ginger sounds fantastic, and I bet it is pretty too. I will be trying that soon. It sounds like a better summer treat than beets and carrots. It is getting really hot here too.

Date: April 27, 2008 01:12AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The entire beet plant is edible, the top, stalk
> and bulb. I like carrot/beet juice and apple/beet
> juice. Jay Kordich, the juiceman cautions not to
> use more then one large beet per person at a meal.

I found this online, is this hyperbole?

Never drink beet juice by itself. Beet juice should always be mixed with other vegetables and/or apple juice. Pure beet juice (from the bulb or greens) can temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you break out in hives, increase your heart rate, cause chills or a fever.

From [www.juicingbook.com]

Not that I was going to TRY drinking it alone, but yikes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2008 01:12AM by Itzdavey.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 27, 2008 02:02AM

I don't know if thats a hyperbole or not but I never wanted to find out so I took Jay's advise. In moderation the beet is a great food. Enjoy.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 27, 2008 02:51AM

I shred beets, dehydrate them, grind them in a food processor/coffee grinder and then add them to my brewers yeast. They go great on popcorn and okra.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2008 03:17AM

nearly every time i have beets i forget about the pink tinged pee until later on when i've just had mini heart failure from thinking that i'm peeing blood! it's ridiculous, you'd think i'd get used to having pink pee, i eat enough beets! but every time, there i am freaking out in the bathroom for a minute until i remember *forehead smacking moment*. silly me.

Posted by: gold rush ()
Date: April 27, 2008 04:13AM

I believe it about the vocal chords...I was eating beets cut up into sticks for awhile. I'd get this strange dry/sore throat that wasn't really either dry or sore--perhaps the beginning of said paralysis.

how about shredding beets to add to a carrot salad (raisins, carrots, pinch sea salt, citrus juice)?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 27, 2008 07:28AM

yes lovely - I shred beets (beetroot over here), carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash and mix it all together. It's really lovely

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 27, 2008 05:12PM

My local co-op sells fresh juices, and I've purchased 12 oz beet juices from them a couple of times and had no trouble drinking the entire thing on an empty stomach. (I never buy juices from the co-op unless I arrive with an empty stomach - I can make them cheaper at home.)

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:22PM

Beet colored poo or pink pee?

On page 70 of Victoria Boutenko's book "Green for Life" she suggests a test to see if one has Hypochlorhydria (not enough hydrochloric acid in one's stomach) might be to drink a quarter cup of beet juice and then watch to see if it changes the color of one's stool or urine "even slightly to the color of a beet".

Without enough stomach acid its likely that a person can't digest and assimilate the available nutrients out of even the best diet.

The remedy she suggests to correct Hypochlorhydria is daily green leafy smoothies to help heal the walls of the stomach that should be producing the acid.

Date: April 28, 2008 01:31PM

I would think the redness of beets would affect anybody, regardless of their digestive system. Though I guess a quarter cup isn't that much.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:52PM

hmm, i'll try with a 1/4 cup and see what happens, i do usually have much more than that. i know i have low hyclr acid already, it's tough for my body to absorb protein and iron. goes along with the O-neg blood type, my sister is exactly the same. i eat lots of greens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables