Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Long-Term Juice Fast
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 11, 2009 02:09AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Note to self: tomorrow I will make carrot juice. I
> will I will I will! ;-) I just haven't been in the
> mood for it lately.
Kwan....Carrot Juice is going to be the staple of my
Juice Fast. I plan to juice it twice tomorrow.
Yes, I'm back fasting with you. My family's Mother's Day party
has come and gone, and I survived it all. I don't bother talking
Raw or Fasting with them.
I added another Juicer to my Lineup....the Breville Citrus Press.
I juiced a 4-lb. bag of organic Valencia Oranges tonight, but
tomorrow will be juicing at 8am, Noon, and 4pm....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 11, 2009 03:54AM

Way to go, WY! I'm so glad you're back. Glad you survived the Mother's Day party.

I had a wonderful day. It was very busy and full, with musical events in both the afternoon and evening (the evening thing was a party, with lots of homemade food, but luckily I wasn't interested. I just played music and drank some honey lemonade. A couple people were interested in why I wasn't eating, but it was no big deal.

A citrus press sounds like something I should invest in soon. I do a lot of orange juice.

Oh--- I finally had my carrot juice today! It saved me. I was tired after playing for 2 hours at the pub, and after I took a nap, I had about 24 ounces of carrot juice with a little apple and lime thrown in, just before I headed out to the party. It did the trick! I wasn't hungry, and I felt really satisfied.

I looooooooooove juice fasting. (Can you tell?) It's always been my magic key. I'm starting to look like.... ME!... again! (The REAL me.) There is no gourmet food or tempting treat (raw or cooked) that can match the joy of seeing your divine essence manifest again as a result of fasting. Something very subtle happens-- it's beyond just 'looking younger' or 'feeling better.' For me it's this gateway to experiencing my grand Cosmic Being and feeling almost completely at one with the pulse of the spiritual universe.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 11, 2009 10:16PM

kwan Wrote:
> A citrus press sounds like something I should
> invest in soon. I do a lot of orange juice.
You'll Love the Breville Citrus Press.
I just started doing orange juice yesterday. Our local
Grove Store closed a few days ago for lack of fruit, and
I don't think the oranges will be in the food stores much
longer. I'm getting a nice organic Valencia....with very few
seeds and lots of juice. I'm going to miss them.

>
> I looooooooooove juice fasting. (Can you tell?)
> It's always been my magic key. I'm starting to
> look like.... ME!... again!
Me too!! I had a good day....

20 ounces of Carrot Juice
16 ounces of Celery-Mixed Greens Juice
32 ounces of Orange Juice.

I haven't felt the need to drink any Water...WY

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 12, 2009 05:24AM

Hi juicy gals, you are doing so awesome!!!

Im on day 36 today. A few days ago I drank some green juice and got a little nauseous from it. Since then I have a real hard time with the greens. Drinking loads of fruit and carrot juice though - my eyes are soooo clear. Oh, and my cellulite has almost disappeared! (I wasnt even going for that, but hey!) Total weight loss is a bit disappointing (15 pounds disappeared within 2 weeks and now stalling, but considering that I also TAPERED OFF MY THYROID MEDS --- YEEEEEEEYYYY!!!! --- its pretty good I guess.)

Maybe I am being overly hard on myself, but I am not very happy with how I am going about it... not enough exercise. Too much fruit. Too much carrot. Not nuff water. Barely any yoga... Wish I could do it more 'perfect'. I'm feeling quite foggy and sluggish lately, actually, and I am pretty sure its the fruit. Very aware that I keep 'medicating' myself still with food, just now its carrot juice... ARRRGH. Sorry for the RANT! On the upside I welcome increased awareness, positive mental and emotional changes, my skin has never been so clear and I enjoy clothes shopping again, hehe...

So glad you guys are out there!
Keep it juicy!

PS:
OMG - have you ever tried mango and spinach ---- its out of this world good!!!

Date: May 13, 2009 01:26AM

cocoa_nibs Wrote:
> Hi juicy gals, you are doing so awesome!!!
Hey, what about me??
Today I had 17 ounces of Carrot Juice and 38 ounces of Orange
Juice. I skipped the Celery-Greens Juice.
I'm called to do a 24-hour Water Fast, with bed rest, so I'll do
only water (and Dry) until 4pm tomorrow. I'll 'break' with Carrot
Juice.
Some of you have expressed concerns about the high Glycemic Index
of carrot juice (Bananas are higher). I'd say try it for yourself,
and see if you get a reaction. Norman Walker lived to age 99 drinking
up to a quart of carrot juice everyday.....WY

Date: May 13, 2009 03:15AM

Hey WY, for some reason I thought you were a girl!! Sorry bout that. Of course I meant to include you

Date: May 14, 2009 01:01AM

Hello.....is anyone still Juice Fasting?
After falling off the wagon on Mother's Day, I'm back in harness,
and into Day 4. I ended my 24-hour Water Fast at 4pm today with
Carrot Juice. I was surprised how easy it was to go 24.
I'm convinced, now more than ever, that Solid Food (and too much of
it) is the cause of all Man's Ills.....be it Cooked or Raw, or anything
in between.
I'm going for some Orange Juice now. Not the best time of the day (9pm),
but 5 hours after my last juice, I feel the need for something.
Happy Juicing to all....WY

Date: May 14, 2009 04:29AM

>I'm convinced, now more than ever, that Solid Food (and too much of
it) is the cause of all Man's Ills.....be it Cooked or Raw, or anything
in between.<

:-) Me too... because I believe we are meant to learn to primarily rely on the Light of Consciousness to sustain us. (And no, I don't mean that I believe we're not supposed to eat at all, only that we rely too much on food for sustenance.)

I've been having some interesting adventures lately--- falling off the wagon, realizing that it's OKAY, it's part of my learning experience--- and beginning to really start to understand about this totally OTHER type of energy that sustains me so beautifully, IF I will let it. I have to consciously draw it in, nurture it, feel gratitude for it, and remain attuned to it.

Happy, Ecstatic Juicing to you, too, WY, and everybody!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 14, 2009 03:33PM

Day 27 (!?!)--
Okay, yesterday was a bit of a washout again in terms of strictly juice fasting-- I did NOT do all juice-- but I'm just too stubborn to rewind to 'Day 1,' and it turned out to be a great day for learning important things I needed to know.

I had a smoothie and some other raw food, and later on I had some grapefruit juice. I realized the all-important truth that the energetic nourishment I take in is far more important than whether I juice or eat solid raw foods. I'm still very committed to a juice fast, despite my weird wanderings off the beaten path. ;-p But now I feel much more free to pursue this course, because I'm focused on not one, but two distinct sources of energy and sustenance-- one physical and the other non-local-- that compliment each other beautifully.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 14, 2009 04:38PM

kwan Wrote:
> I had a smoothie and some other raw food, and
> later on I had some grapefruit juice. I realized
> the all-important truth that the energetic
> nourishment I take in is far more important than
> whether I juice or eat solid raw foods.
I agree wholeheartedly!! I had a small smoothie at
3am this morning....couldn't sleep. It was very nutritious, and
I feel good that the option is there if I need it. I'm not going
to start over at Day 1 either. I consider myself on a Juice Fast,
into Day 5, and counting.
My Guidelines are...
1) 100% Raw
2) Vegan
3) Organic
4) Juices
5) Smoothies (on occasion)
6) No compromises
Kwan....I don't see how you do it...with so many responsibilities.
See you....WY

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:04PM

Good going folks.

I tried some carrot juicing, a deviation from my usual, drank over enough time, it felt fine.

Only in the interest of truth and health, do I share the following, especially here in this thread.

Glycemic index is one thing, but glycemic load is a more important factor. There are guar gums and pectins in for bananas for instance, so they have a relatively low glycemic load. The glycemic load of most fruits is low and a few is moderate.

A quote passed on from a raw food nutritionist:

"Juice fasting and feasting is dangerous. In truth, fasting is a biochemical process. One which does not occur on a juice fast, feast or smoothie feast. The only type of fast is a water fast, and it is something which should only be done under professional supervision.

Theres no science to support juicing. It is like alcohol to the liver, due to the lack of fibre. Our body doesnt recognise fructose in the absence of fibre, so it cannot use it as a sugar. It instead gets sent to the liver, where it cannot be detoxified or eliminated properly so gets stored as fat in the liver, and contributes to non-alcholic fatty liver disease and cirrhosis.

Juicing also over-stresses the pancreas and adrenal glands, and, creating an insulin emergency.

There is a reason nature provides whole foods with fibre."

That being said, I think when one is healing digestion, or just to get "extra in" if you can not make it yet, green juices and non-sweet veg juices are a-ok. Other juices are best buffered with fiber. Or kept short term, true gerson used them in healing, but who's to say he could not have achieved same results using whole foods. There was at least one member of GI2MR who did a long term juice feast, her liver enzymes were off the chart afterwords, and were not before. YMMV

Blessings and Health.
Do what works for you,

Date: May 14, 2009 08:10PM

>Kwan....I don't see how you do it...with so many responsibilities.
See you....WY<

Ahhhh, but the up side is that I don't have a 40-hour-a-week job like a lot of folks do, so I actually get quite a bit of time to relax and enjoy myself, and I even can get up kind of late most mornings if I want. ;-D

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 15, 2009 12:10AM

Ebhak....Very good points. You almost had me convinced. LOL.
I'm reminded of the old Zen Master who could take either side of an
argument....and Win!!
I'm enjoying Juice Fasting now. You carry around all that Fiber. As for me,
I like my small waist and flat stomach. My weight just dropped below 130
for my 5'-8" frame. I feel more Streamlined, rather than Sluggish.
Can we improve upon Nature?? Just because the fiber is there, do we have
to eat it?....WY

Date: May 15, 2009 12:37AM

Hi Ebhak,
I appreciate the concern. It's too bad we humans don't come with a manual of instructions for care and feeding; we get ourselves in a heap of trouble as we blunder around trying to figure it out. ;-o However, I'm really confident about juice fasting. It has such a positive effect on my health and energy levels that I have learned to trust it implicitly.

Today was fabulous. I had 3 delicious drinks: grapefruit juice (about 18 oz.), carrot/apple/ginger juice (about 32 oz.) and finally, about 30 oz. of orange/strawberry juice. (Oh man, was that good!) The pranic breathing stuff must be working, because I didn't feel the slightest twinge or hunger today.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: May 15, 2009 05:33AM

I must admit, I ran out of fruit and gave it a try, it felt good to me. However that is short term, and I am not going to be checking my levels of anything. Waiting for my omega 8006, I pre-ordered one. I will continue green and non-sweet juices, and try WG, as I have only had a single shot of it, but it tasted great, not enough to truly gauge. OG carrots are full of so much nutritional goodness, but they are full of tough fiber that I would not eat.

Fruit fiber and greens helps the system I believe (unless gut is highly compromised or sensitive from digestive disease still healing, in which case nix the green fiber but green juice should be fine). I have not seen science on absorption of nutrients that are embedded within the fiber or not, but if I can find a way to incorporate some carrot juice, such as blending with banana smoothie, or even adding in some tender greens, I may do so.

I went and ran an hour at the gym doing a carrot only day, felt great, then came back and recovered with more juice. I then ate 2 pineapples in a row, was hungry!

Date: May 15, 2009 01:57PM

Ebhak--
The 'science' of juicing is totally different from why we eat solid food. When you juice, you're deliberately giving your body a break from digestion. Juice is assimilated almost immediately into the bloodstream. Your body heals and detoxifies quicker, in part, because immense amounts of energy are freed up that would have gone into digesting your food.

When I was younger and more toxic, and had candida as well, I didn't handle carrot juice quite as well as I do now. Have to say, during the past couple of decades I've never noticed any blood sugar issues at all from carrot juice. When I was younger I had hypoglycemia, and I was very sensitive to sweet fruits, sweet juices, carrot juice... anything! My body has normalized and this isn't an issue for me anymore.

I think attitude and expectation are a large component too. I suspect that because of the mainstream press and medical bias in this country, many people are very fearful of fasting, and if they try it, having that fearful vantage point, the results can be less than satisfactory.

Good luck with your Omega 8006!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 15, 2009 05:03PM

Kwan.....I'm thinking about going Orange Juice Only for
a while. It would be more Cleansing....don't you think? Are you
using any Psyllium, or colon cleansers?
The Oranges I'm getting now are 'Uncle Matt's Organic' here in
FL. What are you getting in MA?....WY

Date: May 15, 2009 09:33PM

WY,
I'm glad I gave into my oj craving. Orange juice suits me, and one big serving a day works for me.

Just bought a bag of organic oranges at the co-op: Tres Rios brand, from Three Rivers, CA. Of course, by the time the California citrus gets to New England, it's not super-fresh anymore, but I do the best I can.

My grandmother used to live in Vero Beach, FL, and I'll never forget the taste of fresh squeezed orange juice from oranges right off the tree when we'd visit her.

Today so far I've had a smoothie of mango/banana/strawberries/barley green powder, and a 'Ginger Soother.' Time to make my ornage juice, and then in about an hour I'll have my carrot/apple ginger concoction and dry fast till morning.

Today I walked for an hour while Jonathan was at the gym in the steam and sauna. My intuition tells me to walk a lot and that it's not necessary for me to do aerobics or weight training at the momnent. Just soak up the sun (gorgeous day for it) and BREATHE in through my heart center all the light and prana from the Void that I can. I will probably take advantage of the steam and sauna once or twice a week too-- too nice to pass up.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 16, 2009 01:53AM

kwan Wrote:
> WY,
> I'm glad I gave into my oj craving. Orange juice
> suits me, and one big serving a day works for me.
I had OJ this morning and a Smoothie this afternoon.
Tomorrow I'm going to try for OJ twice. The problem I'm having
now is the Cleansing being too rapid....hence the Smoothie.

That was interesting about visiting your Grandmother, and the
fresh-squeezed Orange Juice right from the tree. I have a Grapefruit
and Tangerine trees here in central Florida. Come November I'll be
getting 'Fresh'.

> Today I walked for an hour while Jonathan was at
> the gym in the steam and sauna.
I saw your picture with Jonathan at your website. You're
a nice looking couple.
I've rigged-up a Sauna at my house...complete with Heaters. I got it
up to 105 degrees today, and had a couple of sessions of Perspiration.
I'm just 'dabbling' with it now, but plan to incorporate it into my
Cleansing Program. Tonya Zavasta's new book "Raw Food and Hot Yoga"
inspired me to do it.
We're 'Good' aren't we Kwan? Anyone else, just jump right in here with us....WY

Date: May 16, 2009 03:11AM

[[color=blue]>I saw your picture with Jonathan at your website. You're
a nice looking couple.<

:-) Thanks, WY!

>I've rigged-up a Sauna at my house...complete with Heaters. I got it
up to 105 degrees today, and had a couple of sessions of Perspiration.<

Awesome! There's nothing like it, is there? I love doing the steam and sauna. It's normalized my body's reaction to the cold-- I don't get chilled anymore!-- and it's wonderful for the skin.

>We're 'Good' aren't we Kwan?<

We're a fantastic team! I'm SO glad.[/color]

>Anyone else, just jump right in here with us...<
Absolutely! Join the 'party.' We're having too much fun to keep it all to ourselves.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 17, 2009 02:01AM

Kwan....I hope you're well. As for me, I feel like I'm
spending my Life in the Kitchen....juicing, drinking juice, and
cleaning up. I had Orange Juice (twice), and a Smoothie today.
However, I feel I need some time away from my juicers and blender,
yet still continue with Juice Fasting.
You mentioned Kombucha a while back. Do you recommend it?....WY

Date: May 17, 2009 04:19AM

Hi WY!
Had a gorgeous day. Got 8 pounds of Valencia oranges for $5, and 3 quarts of strawberries for $5 this afternoon. I love adding some strawberry to my OJ. Didn't have any carrot juice today, but there's always tomorrow.

Yes, I think Kombucha is pretty cool stuff-- not every day, but at certain times when I want a little something different, or when I feel like my Ph is a little acid. There are afternoons while I'm juice fasting when a Kombucha drink really hits the spot. I love the Synergy brand. My favorites are raspberry, strawberry and grape flavor.

Tomorrow will be day 30! Can't stop now; just hitting my stride.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 18, 2009 04:59AM

kwan Wrote:
> Hi WY!
> Had a gorgeous day. Got 8 pounds of Valencia
> oranges for $5, I'm moving to MA, it costs me $4.99
for a 4-lb. bag. They were $2.99, but the price went up.

and 3 quarts of strawberries for $5 this afternoon. It
costs me $4.49 for a one-pound container of Driscoll's (sp.?)

> Yes, I think Kombucha is pretty cool stuff-- not
> every day I bought 6 bottles Sunday in Tampa. I had a
bottle of Botanic No.7 a few hours ago. It's strong stuff. The
fermentation got me 'high'. I've come back down to Earth now.
I've resolved to be more strict with my Juice Fasting. We make our
own Rules, and I feel we're doing very well, but it'll soon be time
to raise-the-bar for me.
I want to be more aggressive with the cleansing....WY

Date: May 18, 2009 02:26PM

WY,

>It costs me $4.49 for a one-pound container of Driscoll's (sp.?)<

The ones I bought were Driscoll's! This only happens, though, at peak harvest times. The rest of the time, the prices are much higher. Like for instance, cantaloupes can be as high as $2.99 a piece, but at certain times (RARELY) I've gotten them as low as $.88/each when there's a huge crop.

The oranges were a great deal. I can't get them that cheap very often-- I was quite surprised. Usually they cost twice that. Also, they weren't organic. I'm guessing the price on your oranges will go down again soon. Also, think about this: yours are fresh! Ours are shipped from Florida or California, sometimes even Mexico. So sometimes they're not very juicy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: scottiethomas ()
Date: May 19, 2009 02:15AM

namaste,

my first day is over =)

7:30 am
i juiced what was left at home: a granny apple, strawberries, clover and radish sprouts.
quite good.

cycled to work, an organic health food store.
drank lots of water.

10:30 am
kombucha

1:15 pm
kale, spinach, gala apple, celery, ginger, broccoli, carrots.

4:00 pm
kombucha

8:00 pm
juiced the tiniest amount of: tomato, basil, green onion, sprouts with a touch of lemon (craving acid)

look forward to day two

blessings

Posted by: scottiethomas ()
Date: May 19, 2009 02:16AM

oops

1ounce wheat grass shot at 10:00am

Date: May 19, 2009 02:34AM

scottie t--
You had a sensational day! Well done.

I must confess I'm not in the mood to journal my juice menu tonight, but I'll get back to doing it again from time to time. Think I'll just 'mellow out' and go to bed a little early.

Have a great week everybody!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 19, 2009 03:13AM

kwan Wrote:
> I must confess I'm not in the mood to journal my
> juice menu tonight, but I'll get back to doing it
> again from time to time.
I'll do that too, Kwan....no need to post everyday.
I must confess that your posts right here at 'Long-Term Juice
Fast' have kept me Strong. I've just begun a 48-hour Water Fast
tonight. I plan to 'break' with Orange Juice. I'll post some
comments in a couple of days....WY

Date: May 19, 2009 06:42PM

>I must confess that your posts right here at 'Long-Term Juice
Fast' have kept me Strong.<

:-) Yours keep me going too, WY.

>I've just begun a 48-hour Water Fast
tonight.<

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, maybe for 3 days. Maybe I'll start tomorrow. I'd like to see if it's easier now for me to tough it out on day 3 of a water fast and keep going. (In the past, day 3 has been when I feel weak and a little nauseous, and I'd like to move beyond that.) However, since I'm pretty busy, I doubt I'll do more than 3 days.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 20, 2009 02:58AM

Hi there,
well, I just returned from my second trip and still going strong. Mom (who I had visited) got out an age old juicer for me and juiced up a STORM. I am on day 44 and tomorrow is my last day. I will break with fresh watermelon, green juices and smoothies.

I can definitely not deal with fruit juice only, or a lot of carrot juice and have personally heard from someone who messed up his blood sugar through too much fruit juice. FOr me, for sure I need greens!

I will make a post in the juicing section to chart numbers and results. Breaking the feast may be the harder part, if anyone has tipps I am all ears!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables