Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Oy vey...Why all this conflicting info about Vita Mixes?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 12, 2010 12:32AM

I have been planning to get a Vita Mix and I just read somewhere that it didn't do that great a job on green smoothies. Now if this is anywhere near true, I will stick with my Hamilton Beach! For those who have a Vita Mix, can you please convince me that this is totally untrue and that a Vita Mix is virtually essential?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oy vey...Why all this conflicting info about Vita Mixes?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 12, 2010 01:19AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .......For
> those who have a Vita Mix, can you please convince
> me that this is totally untrue and that a Vita Mix
> is virtually essential?
I can't speak for everyone, but my Vita-Prep 3 (made
by Vita-Mix) just blended a Green Smoothie that was delicious. I
think I'll have another one tomorrow.....WY

Date: May 12, 2010 01:45AM

Have you ever owned a 5200? I am looking to get that model and I would like honest feedback on that machine! I swear, sometimes I wonder if some of you are embedded salespeople!

Date: May 12, 2010 03:05AM

banana who Wrote:
> Have you ever owned a 5200? I am looking to get
> that model and I would like honest feedback on
> that machine!
I owned the Vita-Mix 5000, which had the same power as the
5200. The power was adequate, but my Vita-Prep 3 has extra power, and
has me spoiled now.
Hopefully we'll hear from some 5200 owners. I understand the new 5200
motors are manufactured in Sweden. Here are some FAQ from Vita-Mix.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.....WY

[www.vitamix.com]

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:57AM

get this one:

[www.jlhufford.com]

or this:

[www.jlhufford.com]

don't bother with 5200.

Date: May 12, 2010 07:32AM

banana who Wrote:
> didn't do that great a job
> on green smoothies.

you need to be more specific than that. what exactly was the problem ?

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:29PM

No one would be wasting their money on the Vitamix if it weren't the most amazing blender. You positively want the 5000 series with the variable knob, not just the high and low and definitely not digital. The latest ones have the BPA-free container and it's just a better container overall (I upgraded to it). As for something more expensive than that, it's really unnecessary unless you're a chef using it a million times a day. Otherwise the basic blender with just the 1 container is enough and should last you for years.

I personally try to own as little as possible and spend little as well. However, I will buy excellent quality items when it makes more sense to in terms of making life easier, not having to buy another product for awhile, etc. I attribute the Vitamix for allowing me to keep raw easy and enjoyable. It's doubtful the process would have been as smooth without it. It's really the only appliance I would say I have to own.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:43PM

heres my opinion. the fact that vita-mix acts better than everything is the lie. when you side by side compare vita-mix to blendtec the blendtec is CLEARLY more powerful. now, I have a vita mix and use it daily. but i miss the perfection and overpowered capability of the blendtec. it is best noticed in smoothies with blackberry or strawberry seeds. vitamix doesn't get em. blendtec does. hamilton beach, definitely not gonna have anything on the vitamix. vitamix is the base blender everybody should have. or a better one. if they sell it at walmart, it aint a real blender. but if i was gonna choose again, i'd go with the blendtec, and get the after market plunger.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:44PM

I was able to try out the Blendtec and while there were some occasions I liked it, mainly I didn't. There were many annoying things about it. I was dying for my Vitamix back and doubt I will ever switch permanently. My tech friend feels the Blendtec's computerized board is flimsy and feels the vitamix is more a sturdy, longer-lasting choice. He's used both of them. I don't know anyone with the blendtec long-term so it's hard to judge about that. However I have come across many who've had a Vitamix 20, 30 yrs or more and it still works great.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 12, 2010 06:14PM

Banana who, you might consider disregarding the advertised horsepower ratings which for US made Vita Mix and Blendtec are based on oddly conceived US terminology like "peak horsepower" which is often abbreviated to simply "horsepower" which is inaccurate. The wattage gives a better indication of power. Better still the experiences of those above. One of these days I'll have to get me one.

Date: May 12, 2010 09:11PM

Neurosport: I don't own one; I was just reading someone's comment that it doesn't do a good job with the green smoothies. Well, if that's the case, then fuggedaboutit. I'll do fine on my own with this cheapo!

Date: May 12, 2010 11:23PM

i think between 5200 and HP3A the HP3A blends better but 5200 is a better blender - makes sense ?

HP3A blends better because it has a bigger motor and bigger blade but 5200 is a better blender because it lasts 3 times as long.

too many people have both so if they went with the big blendtec carafe they've spent ~ $900 total. for that same money you can just get a Blending Station Advance which has most of the advantages of blendtec:

* 15 amp 3+ HP motor ( this is actually stronger than Blendtec which only has 13 amps )
* single wide blade for a powerful vortex / whirlpool
* smooth sides easy to clean carafe which is about the same size as Blendtec's 96 oz carafe but called 48 oz because it is only marked to about the middle
* 34 presets assignable to 6 preset buttons ( compared to 30 presets assignable to 4 buttons on blendtec )
* High Contrast VFL 2-Line display ( compared to dim single line display on Blendtec )
* high and low pulse buttons ( compared to just high pulse on Blendtec )
* you can pour from 3 sides and the pouring is EXCELLENT from the front ( Advance container ) - it is fast and it NEVER drips.

It also has most of the advantages of vitamix:

* replaceable blade assembly
* long lasting blade assembly double sealed bearings ( Advance Container )
* easy to replace coupling protects motor and blade assembly from overload.
* speed adjustable in 1% increments from 7% to 100% ( it changes slowly at first when you press up or down but then begins to change more quickly - it really works quite well )
* the lid is very snug and well designed
* you can't use a tamper in stock configuration. however if you remove the sound abatement cover and swap the rubber centering pad you can use your standard vitamix container with a tamper on it if you feel so inclined.

it also has unique advantages that neither Blendtec nor 5200 have:

* the platform is made from unbreakable cast aluminum
* the body is made from thick plastic ( MUCH stronger than 5200 )
* the cooling system is advanced - it is designed similar to a car engine's intake and exhaust systems, not just a bunch of holes like on cheaper produts - it both contains the noise and cools the motor better
* there is a sound abatement cover which reduces noise by about half
* the sound is quieter and deeper with all of the unpleasant high pitch components filtered out

the only disadvantages i can think of so far are:

* very hard to take with you on the plane ( i checked it in all by itself in original box packaging and even then homeland security opened the box up and inspected it )

* my particular unit vibrates the whole building when placed on the counter ( don't know if the little guys also do this )

i already posted these pics:

[www.box.net]

i'll take better ones eventually ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 11:28PM by neurosport.

Date: May 12, 2010 11:56PM

just to be clear - blending station advance will take the widest array of containers of any blender

it will take all of these:

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

as well as all of these blades:

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

[www.jlhufford.com]

even though sometimes it says not designed to work with blah blah blah i did some research and it will work just fine - they are simply fussing because the presets on the machine are not timed for different container sizes. because the blending station has most power and most torque of any vitamix product you can't burn it out with any vitamix container - but you could burn out a 5200 with an XP container for example.

Date: May 13, 2010 01:04AM

Neurosport.....Will the Advance Blade 15990 and the XP Blade 15590 fit the Vita-Mix 48 oz. container (picture 3)?
I'm presently using that container with my Vita-Prep 3, and would like to experiment with different blades....WY

Posted by: shazz150 ()
Date: May 13, 2010 01:13AM

I have made smoothies daily for the past 9 months on my vitamix 5200 and honestly, I have always had delicious SMOOTHies......very delicious, no lumps or bumps. I usually blend a variety of greens and fruits including kale, celery, spinach, romaine, field greens, dandelions, pineapple, apple, mango, bananas,oranges, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and the list goes on. I think that the first time I used frozen raspberries and blackberries, I felt some residual seeds but after that I blended them first with a little water before adding the rest and that was the end of that.
I don't get on the blendtec vs vitamix train....I'm sure they both work well, just with different features.
I would highly recommend the 5200 to anyone! Since making smoothies for my friends who are not even raw, two went on to buy their own and tell me often how much they love the vitamix.

Just think about how many people rave about their vitamix.....I can assure you I don't get a penny for giving my opinion. It just does a fantastic job at pulverizing everything I put in it. I don't think you'll regret buying one.....if you can, get it through costco and they'll take it back no questions asked.(I don't work for Costco by the way).

Hope somehow this helps...........good luck!!
Shazz

Date: May 13, 2010 03:01AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Neurosport.....Will the Advance Blade 15990 and
> the XP Blade 15590 fit the Vita-Mix 48 oz.
> container (picture 3)?
> I'm presently using that container with my
> Vita-Prep 3, and would like to experiment with
> different blades....WY

no, sorry bro.

advance blade only works with advance container and vice versa.
xp blade only works with xp container and vice versa.

advance is basically the updated version of XP container. the improvements from XP container seem to be:

* better bearings
* BPA free construction
* special pouring tip ( which is quite nice )

if you used one of those wide containers on your vita-prep 3 you should be careful not to blend anything thick or high capacity because even though you have 3hp it is still not designed for the wide blade. your blender may be designed for higher RPM and lower torque - i could not get a confirmation on that because Vita-Mix people are not THAT tech-savvy to be able to answer questions like this.

in either case the bottom of the advance container has a feature to prevent it from being placed on the vita-prep 3 ( to protect the motor ) however by swapping the rubber centering pad for an XP centering pad it will fit ( i was told, have not tried ).

maybe you can take your motor base to a local Jamba Juice and try to fit one of their XP containers on it smiling smiley

A WORD OF WARNING ON ADVANCE CONTAINER:

it takes about 6 oz of water to fill it up to the blade level and it won't really begin to blend until you have some water touching the blade. you shouldn't realistically expect to be able to make a shake with less than about 6 oz of water in it with this container. once it gets traction with the food so to speak and is on its way it gets done quick and even.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2010 03:12AM by neurosport.

Date: May 13, 2010 03:17AM

neurosport Wrote:
> advance blade only works with advance container
> and vice versa.
> xp blade only works with xp container and vice
> versa.
Thanks for your good information. You should be working in
the Tech Dept. of Vita-Mix Corp.
I'll just stay with what I have.....Vita-Prep 3 with 48 oz. Carafe. It's
been doing a fine job for my use of it....making Green Smoothies.....WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:18AM

i love the passion in the juicing forum smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:13AM

Sorry folks - Through the years I have had three Vitamix - one I bought - two were given to me - very disappointed and while the units are stuck away in the barn I make no attempt to repair them yet again... And what was I doing with the machine that made it break? Homemade goatsmilk ice cream! Using the recipes in the vitamix book. The repair each time was $60 - times 3 - cheaper to buy less expensive and replace!

Date: May 24, 2010 07:05AM

Priscaw Wrote:
> Sorry folks - Through the years I have had three
> Vitamix - one I bought - two were given to me -
> very disappointed and while the units are stuck
> away in the barn I make no attempt to repair them
> yet again... And what was I doing with the machine
> that made it break? Homemade goatsmilk ice cream!
> Using the recipes in the vitamix book. The repair
> each time was $60 - times 3 - cheaper to buy less
> expensive and replace!

did you actually break it every time doing the same thing ? mind sharing that recipe ?

Date: May 24, 2010 07:16PM

Thanks Shazz! Just one more request: could you BUY me a 5200? LOL

Date: May 26, 2010 01:50AM

Hi all, so so sorry in advance for the long post - I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules smiling smiley

I am new here, to forums in general, and to blending (I've never owned a blender of any kind). However, being that I am very committed to my new vegan lifestyle (after being vegetarian for 12 years) I know I need to get the best blender out there if I am to be successful on this journey. Which leads me here. So yesterday While researching the Vitamix 5200 and Blendtec Totalblend on the internet, I noticed that there was a Blendtec demo going on at a Costco about 30 minutes away which I excitedly went to. The demo guy was really nice, the samples were intriguing and good, he didn't bash the other model and patiently answered all of my questions (although I took it all with a grain of salt because I'm sure he wanted to make the sale as well as be helpful).

I ended up buying the blender...not because I thought I've got to have this one, but only because they are not in stock at Costco's near my home and I learned that there would soon be a Vitamix roadshow at a Costco only 10 minutes away (so I will be able to return it and get the other if that seem like the best way to go). My decision will basically come down to better bang for my buck. After watching countless youtube videos, and reading various reviews I have decided that I probably cannot go wrong "performance wise" with either blender (and being a novice, I probably couldn't tell anyway). Budgetary concerns plus my being new to blending and raw foods dictates that I cannot go any higher than these models. Plus, I'm a single woman with no kids and will be making only single serving stuff - thus I don't think I need anything more heavy duty than this right now. My only real concern now is future costs.

AS IT STANDS:

- I will need to pay a difference of about 20 dollars more if I decide to exchange the total blend for the Vitamix at Costco. That is not including the extra $144 (per website) to get the dry blade carafe since I do plan to grind various grains and such. Despite the extra cost, I am still considering the Vitamix because I have read a lot about the carafes on the Blendtec needing to be replaced every 1-2 years or so. However, it also seems that when you buy a new carafe from Blendtec, it has a three year warranty, which if all goes well or not well however you look at it, it will fail within the three year warranty and be replaced for free? Because I'm smart enough to know there are probably all types of limitations on that, I am wondering if anyone has had the problem with the bearings in the blade assembly failing during the warranty period on the carafe and had the carafe replaced with no or minimal hassle.

- I was able to get the larger carafe with the 4 inch blade for the same price; lets just say I'm an excellent negotiator via my great legal education ;o), so I don't mind purchasing another as a back up if the three year warranty mentioned above holds true.

- The warranty I have on the blendtec base is also 7 years (benefits of buying at Costco). However thereafter, I am wondering about the cost I would face if my base failed for some reason. I see on the Vitamix website that it will be between $95-145 to repair, but I do not see this info on Blendtec's website. Has anyone had issues with their base and had to pay for repair - how much did it cost? I am just guessing that it'll be higher because it's a "smart blender" yada yada yada.

- As I have not yet used the Blendtec nor the Vitamix, I am still wondering which of the two blenders are easier to operate...I'm not a total idiot when it comes to appliances and will definitely read the manuals to either one I choose, but I must admit that besides being a complete novice, I am a little impatient (I'm working on it). The turning of knobs and such on the VitaMix seems a bit complicated and I'm wondering whether there is an art or science to blending in the VitaMix (i.e., do I need a timer in front of me to know when to increase the speed, is there some type of math equations, etc.)?

- While I absolutely love the design of the Blendtec (fits in well with my more modern kitchen, fits under my cabinets, and it seems easier to just push a button), I equally like all that VitaMix offers, if only there longer history of great long lasting products - so aesthetics will not sway me one way or the other since that seems to be a big plus for a lot who go with Blendtec.

So sorry again for the long post, just hoping someone will have answers or comments to those few concerns I pointed out.

Thanks

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: May 29, 2010 07:10PM

I got my Vitamix in 1993. I changed the container on it, to the newer see-through (it was the original stainless with the spigot), and I've had to replace the brass widget twice (before I changed containers).

Sturdy, powerful, reliable machine. Made ice cream in it many times before I turned vegan!

However, I have recently converted to Blentec. Why? the Blentec fits on the counter, under the cabinet, with the container on it. Also, the container on the Blentec is BPA free (the new VM might be, too). The Whole Juice cycle does the speed variation for me, and makes perfect smoothies.

The only downside, is the container is smaller. On the upside, the container is smaller! Yes, that's a good and bad. Good, is I'm making more realistic quantities of smoothie at a time. Bad, as ... um, can't think of a bad, yet.

It cleans up easier. Why, I don't know. But it does.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 30, 2010 05:41AM

I have just been given a brand new vita mix 5200, ya sur you betcha it be the best. My smoothies have never been more smooth. The stinging nettles are lushous. I am able to return the real old antique vitamix to the company for a hundred to boot. yea. I am loveing this and really feeling very spoiled.
life is so good.

Date: May 30, 2010 09:41PM

Enjoy, Pampam! Sounds like fun.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 31, 2010 07:20AM

dang pam pam

i wannna friend who gives me brand new vitamixes LOLsmiling smiley

good for you for enjoying it

enjoyS!

Date: June 01, 2010 12:53PM

hey ... can anyone tell me what

"oy...vey" means?

banana-o-rama who wrote that on the subject line

i think it sounds cute
i get what it means just by reading it

but i kind of wanna know where that term comes from

sounds like norwegian or something like that

oy...vey?

yeah... like i saw it on the boards a few other times ( maybe one other time)

and it looked cute

Date: June 01, 2010 12:53PM

it kind of sounds like

" hey... whatt?!"

Date: June 01, 2010 10:49PM

It's Yiddish. It's like an exclamation of exasperation (okay, I just copied that term from some online dictionary) and means: "oh woe!" Gotta love Yiddish words: schmuck, schlep, kvetch...

Date: June 06, 2010 11:39PM

as I remember the recipe - 2 ice cube trays of frozen milk - your choice
12 oz. liquid milk, 2/3 cup sugar (ouch), fruit of choice. As we had a large herd of gairy goats we made ice cream quite a bit in those days. Still have a large herd of dairy goats but make raw milk cheeses instead. As good as the ice cream was I prefer the cheese - mayby being raised in "America's Dairyland" has something to do with it. LOL

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables