Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
IUD"s
Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 03, 2008 10:45PM

Hi everyone

I have just general questions for any of you who have IUD's.

I got a paraguard 3 weeks ago. I have never had a pregnancy. I am still experiencing mild to severe cramping but I never know when.

What do you do for cramps?

Are there any juices that might be heplfull?

Anything preventative?

I ate a lot of pineapple the first week I had it, which helped with the inflamation (I hope) but the pain is so debitating and I am very tired taking advil (which the doctor recommended) it helps but I feel like it's destroying my liver. I am using heat to deal with the pain; the cramping is suppposed to lessen in a few months. I really want to keep this IUD so any experiences or suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IUD"s
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2008 11:41PM

yikes. sorry, no advice here.

Date: August 26, 2008 05:03PM

I should have titled this as a cramping question. I think this is the first time I have posted here and not recieved any helpfull responses; weird huh?!

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, I have found a tea that helps a lot. It is Traditional Medicines' "Female Toner". It has the cramp bark in it and helps a lot but you have to consume a few cups a day. I figure this is way better than taking advil every few hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2008 05:04PM by meganbubbs.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:55PM

Has the IUD improved over the years? I'm in my 40's and I just remember the really negative things that could impact a woman and the risks always seemed way too high for me. Honestly, they scare the bejeezus out of me. Anything that is producing that much pain in your body cannot be good in my opinion. Your body seems to be rejecting it. I hope you find relief and answers.

I recommend the following book that is a really good resource. Have you heard of it?

Taking Charge of your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Health by Toni Weschler

Date: August 26, 2008 06:18PM

The IUD, from all the research I have done, has definately improved in the past 20 years. Like all contaception controll there are risks, of course. I think it is a extrememly individual choice, I personally think putting synthetic hormones into my body in way more damaging than the IUD. It is also normal I think for my body to want to regect it, I would be concerned if it didn't. I think it is all about weighing the costs and benefits. For me, being 24 I do not want to become pregnant anytime soon, the IUD lasts up to ten years, I can have it removed anytime. Fertility is restored immediately. It is non-hormonal, it is as effective as having tubal ligation! I think the pain is a big issue, but I think 6 months of heavy cramping is less painfull in the long run then having a pregnancy or an abortion. It was a difficult decision to get this IUD but I think it is the best choice for ME, As time goes by I can feel my womb coming to terms with the stess I have put on it, and I feel like it can take one for the team so to speak, as an organ to keep the organism (me) happy and healthy in the bigger picture.

I will check out that book from the library, thanks for the recommendation.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: August 29, 2008 07:57AM

i have the paraguard, megan, and my cramping was quite noticeable for the first 4-5 months, pretty mild for a few months after that, and then not at all. i've had mine for five years, and no issues. i know it aint popular among the all natural set, but my best friend had two kids with "taking charge of your fertility"... she says she knows exactly what where she went wrong each time! ha!

Date: August 29, 2008 01:26PM

even though i considered it, the string that sticks out from the cervix is the thing that made it a no for me. it changes a totally sealed environment into something that is vulnerable to invaders. i've heard it referred to as a "highway for bacteria".

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 30, 2008 12:53AM

i'm laughing at the taking charge of your fertility thing....

so true-
i didn't plan on my son- but i sure knew he could happen.
i DID intend on trying for my daughter, but we missed the chance, i slacked off for one day in the cycle and there she was. (but the benefit was i knew i was pregnant the very day i got pregnant. i just had to wait five weeks to test positive.)

so FAM is great for those of us who say "oops, another life to love"
but i'd take in one off my doorstep as well.
any accidents- drop on my doorstep.

peace-

Date: September 03, 2008 03:43PM

I haven't read the book yet, but yeah, I feel like this is how I am taking charge of my fertility. I have been tracking my cycle for years doing the whole temp. thing but was always so nervous about that because like we all know, anything could happen. If I ever got preggers I know I would keep it; this way I can be completely prepared before I bring anybody into this world, and so can my partner, no suprises. It is such a weight off my shoulders to know that I won't have to stress about that. My best friend got pregnant twice in two months when she was on the pill! I know I couldn't go through what she went through but I share the same sentiment as Mama Cass- leave any accidents on my doorstep.
Ahhh, just because I got this IUD does not mean I don't want a baby! I do, but I don't want to rush into anything.
Coco, you are the only person I know to talk about this highway for bacteria thing, I know your fears are founded, but where did you get your info? I almost laughed when I read your post because it makes me wonder what kind of things you would want to put up there that would be full of bacteria in the first place, but I know you were being sincere. I have lots of respect for all you women, and I hope when I do get to be a mother I have as much fun as all of you do.

Date: September 03, 2008 03:58PM

actually, the doctor in the women's clinic said it to me when we were discussing the pros and cons of different types of birth control. the opening of the cervix is totally sealed to keep out foreign invaders and the vagina is a hot place that is constantly excreting fluids to flush away anything unwanted that may be in there. these conditions change during ovulation and sex of course, to facilitate insemination, but the vagjayjay works hard to keep itself clean because there is bacteria Everywhere and it loves a warm, moist place to breed itself in. i think interfering with those conditions by douching or having an iud is an invitation for infection and some uti's go undetected until they have done irreversable damage that can include causing infertility. sure, it's a long shot with an iud but if you really want children at some time (and i did) it's worth weighing the risks.

Date: September 03, 2008 04:17PM

Yes, now that you have jogged my memory I do remember talking to my health care provider about this. What she explained to me was that because of the strigs that protrude from the cervix, I actucally saw them my last visit (I recommend this for all women, next time you have the speculum in, ask for a mirror, it is very interesting to look at your own cervix) it can make it easier for any std/bacteria to reach your uterus and if not treated can make you infertile. Pretty serious. So I remember having this dilema, and it weighs out like this; I have only partner, he has only one partner, we are only having sex with eachother, we both have a clean bill of health, have had all our STD testing, I am negative for hpv, so it is most likely that he is too. I think this puts us in the lowest risk category for any harm.
What about women who have had lots of kids and their cervixs' after being dilated so many times just simply do not go back to the same postion as pre-dliation? Are they at the same risk because it is not totally sealed or do you think it is the strings that are the problem?
And can I ask I personal question Coco? Did you deliver you babies vaginally or through c-section?

Date: September 04, 2008 12:32AM

both babies delivered at home unassisted (that means no doctor or midwife and the second baby all on my own)
the cervix can grow in size a bit after pregnancy but it seals up just the same at the opening.
it can be bacteria as well as an std that can gain entry via that string though so it doesn't matter about your partner, a uti can still happen. the doc i talked to told me that many of them go undetected so treatment in never prescribed. that scared me a bit too much to go for it.
i have no idea what i am going to do in future, i think two babies are enough!

Date: September 04, 2008 02:50AM

Wow Coco, thats pretty awesome, congrats to you.

So I still have some questions,
A UTI, Urinary tract infection? That doesn't make sense because that is completely seperate from the vagina. Bacteria travels up the urethra into the bladder and if it's really bad can go into your kidneys. Have you ever had a UTI? I have and it was the most painfull thing I have ever experienced in my life. I know that it would't go undetected in my body. Prevention, not treatment is the best way to deal with UTIs. And how sealed is the cervix really? menstural blood still has to pass through that opening every month and thats happens without dilation.

Date: September 04, 2008 12:11PM

sorry, i've' got the mama brain in and subbed the uti for an infection that i can't remember the name of. d'oh. it's one that can leave scarring on the ovaries and i am drawing a complete blank as to the name.

Date: September 06, 2008 12:05AM

mama brain-

i get that so much.

my favorite part of the FAM method is the fact that you check your cervix- you get familiar with a part of your body that you can't normally see. i want to see mine sometime. i don't do temp. but i guess i can now that i'm starting to sleep more. it's crazy, when your body is thinking about ovulating, your cervix moves up, like a sunflower, and gets soft and slightly more open.

i think if i had used FAM before my first child, i would have been much more confident in my body. i was unaware and kinda scared about these things. now, i talk to women about it (my own mother thinks i'm nutters) and tell them about fluids, and checking cervical position and temps, and most of them say "Nope, i'd rather let someone else check it out or make the decisions for me than get near those things" and i have to go 'HUH?!'
someone else can professionally check your AHEM, and you won't get to know your own? so i just think everyone should read it to be familiar with their bodies in a very real way.

peace-

Date: September 06, 2008 01:30AM

people are so freaky weird like that, i don't get it. it's like having a really gorgeous little room in your house that you reserve for guests but just refuse to go into yourself. wtf? it's that attitude that has stripped women of their birthing power and left them totally vulnerable to the medical establishment. crazy stuff that.

there is a mama on another site i visit who is expecting and her partner is all weirded out about her breastfeeding the baby, like he's jealous or grossed out or something whacked like that. anyhow, she's considering Not breastfeeding so he doesn't get uncomfortable (OMG!). i suggested that she nurse her man a little bit so that he can check it out and feel connected to her that way, see what all the fuss is about and on some deep level reconnect with the comfort, pleasure and nuturing that he must have felt as a baby (even if he was only bottle fed in arms). you know, to feel that loving, safe warm mama place and to want that for his little one. you know what? SHE was too weirded out by that to even consider it!
i can't get over how disconnected people are from their physical selves. no wonder there is so much tragic illness in this culture. geez.

Date: September 06, 2008 07:07PM

Coco-
you're a rock star!

i love it.

weirded out about breastfeeding? that always gets to me. i'm lucky b/c my man has three younger siblings, all breastfed until at least two years. so he never even thought twice. the female body is amazing, i mean, we have these amazing places and part, beautiful and very functional, and for a 'sexually liberated' culture, there are a lot of weird inhibitions.

i like your nursing thing, get him familiar, comfortable, and have some fun. does he avoid her breasts just b/c she's pregnant? or does he not normally suckle a bit? odd habits. i mean, we wouldn't just play around like that or anything ;}.

self-awareness, not faith in a system of professionals, is becoming a lost art. people have asked me to TEACH them how to interact and understand their bodies and children like i do mine. um, i think the problem is right there. but then again, they then think i have extremely weird suggestions sometimes that they simply disregard. the whole is lost. like this talk among women- lost. i'm so glad it's here.

peace-

Date: September 06, 2008 07:58PM

oh me too, so glad is here and in other pockets of like-mindedness.

i don't know if he avoids her breasts, probably not (he sounds like a big baby). betcha that's the problem, he wants them all to himself.
he might be one of those freaky guys who won't touch her while she's preggo though. can you imagine? gah, grounds for divorce right there in my book!

Date: September 10, 2008 12:53AM

sad smiley no emoticons here-
because i want that one that is one rolling around cackling like a mad hatter.

but i'll just do it again.

omg.

too funny.

my husband's paternal grandmother told my mother-in-law that she could never get the sex thing, except when pregnant. suddenly she then liked it. but only when pregnant. she was pregnant 6 times.
she liked being pregnant a lot.

me too.

Date: September 10, 2008 01:14AM

PPPFFFTTT!!!

you know, that's when i really like it too.
that also happens to have been two of the totally celibate periods of my life sad smiley
tragic that. what a total waste.

Date: September 16, 2008 12:06AM

yeah-
that's tough.

we decided pregnancy is awesome b/c you are pregnant. it's very sexy and fun, and the one time you are guaranteed to not get pregnant. very liberating winking smiley.

i also love fat pregnancy curves.

not a total waste- i did see that cutest face in the universe (what sweet eyes and lovely teeth) but i do send sympathy your way. like getting older, pregnancy has only improved sex. such a blessing.

i can't wait until i'm 80 or 90. mwwahahaha.

Date: September 16, 2008 02:24AM

ok, not a total waste winking smiley
she is just the cutest thing i've ever seen after all. lately she has been poking me in the belly button and then lifting up her shirt to poke her own self in the bb. so hysterically funny and cute.

but wait, this is the birth Control thread! gotta stop making with the cute baby stories in here...

Date: September 17, 2008 04:50PM

Hah, Hah,

yeah, cute baby stories make me want to have a baby, not the opposite!

Date: September 30, 2008 06:30PM

PID pelvic inflamatory disease. that's what the thing i was talking about is called. it just came to me.

Date: October 12, 2008 04:47PM

hey coco
I finally did the research for PID. same idea with bacteria traveling through the cervix, most dangerous if you have a std at time of insertion of the IUD, but women should be tested and treated before hand. So PID risk is raised slightly at time of insertion but goes back down afterwords. Risk is higher if you are 25 or younger because the cervix is not "fully matured". PID is hard to diagnose because the symptoms are slight like cramping and discharge that many women may overlook, but the damage can render someone infertile.

So, all and all:
scary? yes!
I am worried? Not more worried about it more than anything else right now, you can get PID without having an IUD, one case of chlamydia or ghonorhea could have the same affect.

Posted by: westiemom ()
Date: October 22, 2008 09:22PM

Just to throw this out there - IUD's do increase your risk of having a future tubal pregnancy.

I had an IUD after my second child and had it removed after a year because my body just wasn't happy with it - horrible cramps, excessive bleeding, etc. I did get pregnant again - it wasn't planned and it was a tubal pregnancy.

The tubal pregnancy caused me to have several surgeries ending with a total hysterectomy at age 29 because of the damage done.

Not trying to scare you, just something to keep in mind.

Date: March 01, 2009 01:12AM

The tip at the top of this strand really helped me. I got a ParaGuard a few days ago, and I was pretty miserable for the first few days. The "Female Toner" tea with Cramp Bark in it made me feel much better. I drank cup after cup of the tea, but it was worth it. If I were to do this again, I would drink the tea all day before the insertion as well.
I just hope this can help someone else out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 01:16AM by sunnydeb.

Date: March 01, 2009 04:10AM

Sunnydeb,

I'm glad the tea helped you. I've had my paraguard since july and still drink 1 or more cups a day and find that it does help with my cycle and cramping. Good Luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 04:12AM by meganbubbs.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: March 09, 2009 06:03PM

Since the discussion on this thread included natural methods I want to mention "The Ovulation Method." This method has been proven 98-99 percent effective at preventing pregnancy. No temp taking, no internal exams. It involves checking cervical mucous as it appears at the opening of the vagina. This can be used for women with irregular cycles and those who were recently pregnant and and want to have sex before their first menstrual cycle. The website has detailed info and illustrations to give you a good idea of what this about. www.familyplanning.net

How are you feeling now?

Date: March 12, 2009 05:05PM

it's nowhere near fool proof though. your mucus can be affected by sickness, activity level, arousal, just to name a few. and you can spontaniously ovulate at any time too. i recommend that sort of fertility planning to those who wouldn't mind conceiving.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables