Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Birth Control Advice
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2010 02:48PM

Hello - I live a very clean lifestyle...I only eat well combined foods, eat raw all during the day,juice every day and eat cooked food at night. I am 30 years old and have never taken birth control but am considering it now. My friend who lives a similar lifestyle (though not as clean as I do) suggests I use nuvaring - her doctor said it was a low dose so it's not that bad for you. I'm feeling very resistant to taking birth control but feel it may be something I should look into. I would love advice from any like minds. Thank you so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Birth Control Advice
Date: July 14, 2010 03:03PM

Nuvaring is the same as taking the pill, it's artificial hormones that surely have an effect on the body that is not in balance and can't be healthy. Frankly, I would rather eat a ham and cheese sandwich than put that thing inside me, but that's just my personal opinion.

Condoms are still the best bet. If you really dislike that option a non-hormone IUD isn't too terrible. I'm going for tube tie myself but I already have as many children as I want in this lifetime grinning smiley.

I have a personal microscope that provides a fail-safe way to check your body salts (indicate not only when you are fertile but the 4 days leading up to ovulation, a time when you can get pregnant as sperm can live inside you for that long). There are several brands of that available, mine is called the ovu-trac.

Best of luck!

Date: July 15, 2010 05:02PM

That's how I feel about birth control :-( But I know that I probably won't use condoms sometimes and so I'm trying to be preventative and think ahead.

Thank you for those suggestions! I will look into them now.

Date: July 15, 2010 05:25PM

PLEASE use condoms every time my friend. There are so many catchy things out there that are devastating to good health and utterly preventable. Believe me, I know how tempting it can be but there is just no going back and un-infecting yourself.
I try to be as conscientious about what I put where as I am about what I put in my mouth winking smiley. Not always easy choices but worth it I think smiling smiley.

Posted by: reina80 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 03:16PM

I use natural family planning. I chart my cycles by taking my temperature every morning and use a diaphragm if we have sex during my fertile window. Its not as hard as remembering to take a pill and I don't have to worry about hormones. There are some great books and websites out there that will give information. Of course, I am married so I'm not worried about diseases so this only works for prevention of pregnancy - not prevention of disease. I agree with the others that prevention of disease is best handled with a condom. There are female condoms now too that are not so difficult and work just as well if used properly.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 18, 2010 03:55PM

I used to use a non hormone IUD for years with no problems at all. I reckon it's the best thing if you are in a steady, monogomous relationship.

For all other sexual encounters I echo Coco - for heavens sake use a condom EVERY time. It's not so bad -

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 01:42AM

actually, some of the new condoms, like the trojan ecstasy,feel the closest to au-natural as possible, with exception to this one super thin natural latex by I think it was crown? was so thin felt like nothing was there, yet when I did a stress test, trying to stretch it out like a rubber band, purposely trying to rip it, it took me almost 2 minutes of trying to rip it apart with my bare hands to actually destroy it... I heard non hormone IUD's can increase menstrual bleeding by like 20-50% and discomfort as well...no personal experience with that though,lol... other than that though, If I was a woman, Id probably try one out...better than using hormones...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 20, 2010 11:03AM

Curator - you are right. I think my periods were heavier and a bit more painful but it was the best option at the time. After about 10years though I decided that I just didn't want this foreign body inside me any more and had it removed.

Some guys are pretty amazing with condoms (and once being the recipient I didn't even notice them)

Date: August 20, 2010 03:12PM

The trouble with an IUD is that it leaves a small "string" hanging down from the cervical opening creating an entry to this otherwise sealed area. It's been dubbed a "highway for bacteria" and is suspected in many cases of pelvic inflammatory disease which can leave scarring that prevents fertilization in later years when one may choose to conceive. I didn't think those were good risks for me, plus I already had painful heavy periods at the time.

I have an ovutrac but since I'm thinking of having my tubes tied I might sell it. It was the best tool I ever found for tracking fertile times, it was absolutely fool proof compared to mucus and temp charting which is completely subject to physical and environmental changes. I can't recommend a saliva tracker more, it's really the best way to know for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 03:17PM by coco.

Date: August 20, 2010 03:40PM

I think once you have had children the cervix is never tightly closed so that 'highway ' thing is not an issue in my opinion. However I do think that having a foreign body lodged in the womb and strings through the cervix might not be the best idea. But it's what suits you best - different things suit different people. It did me well for quite a while. I don't fancy having my tubes tied though.

Coco what happens to the egg if the tubes are tied - do you re absorb it? Is that a good idea? Still messing a bit with nature don't you think?

Date: August 20, 2010 03:54PM

I've been researching it and not found any real contraindications. Some things did come up but they are so far fetched as to not be an issue so far as I am concerned. Ovum are microscopic, they are easily reabsorbed by the body. Also, fusing of the fallopian tubes can occur naturally without great health impact so it's not something outside of nature IMO.

The cervix is a sealed environment after childbirth. It self-seals with mucus that along with the highly acidic environment of the uterus prevents invasion by foreign matter. That little bit of string hanging out is not a good thing IMO. And the body's reacion to an object in the womb, that of heavier and more painful periods, is an indication of irritation to me. No such reactions to tubal ligation thankfully. But we shall see, you just never know. I only know for certain that I am finished breeding winking smiley.

Date: August 20, 2010 04:37PM

Well I know that for certain too. It's one of the few things in life I am certain about smiling smiley

I think you are probably right about all of that - glad it's behind me now.

Date: August 20, 2010 05:32PM

It's a big fat frikken drag the whole deal. Our options are surgery, hormones, chemical laden latex, invasive objects, more hormones, abortion, unwanted pregnancy or celibacy. None of those are particularly appealing. I don't understand why more men (those who don't want children and/or have no intention of being responsible for any they accidentally make) don't get vasectomies, it's utterly baffling. I hear from fellas who've had it done that while uncomfortable it certainly wasn't anything major. And it's is outpatient surgery! Barely even any incision site! Not so for me, I have to choose where I want them to cut me open. Yay.

Posted by: reina80 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 06:54PM

My husband has elected to have a vasectomy after we've had our last child (1 more) and I am very thankful for that...

Date: August 20, 2010 10:43PM

I think its a pretty viable option (vasectomy) but it is not devoid of possible serious side effects, and the only person Ive known to get one said he couldnt sit down for 3 days, also there is a higher chance of a vasectomy reversing itself,especially if you get the type that has less chance of permanently making you unable to have kids, which is like this plug they inject in to the tubes, and you dont know if its reversed until you have a baby on the way... Personally, If I find myself in such a situation as to where its an option, I will get the vasectomy, but use my microscope at least once a week to make sure nothing is getting out that shouldn't...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:18PM

I advocate the non-hormonal IUD... again. I have talked with my doctor and two friends of mine who are gyno's and they have all told me that the cervical opening flucates every month with your cycle, so the opening to your uterus, your cervix is never "sealed" so the "highway for bacteria" notion is really just serves to scare you, by that logic, the opening to your vagina would be like an on-ramp for bacteria, but obviously if you stick some bacteria laden thing up there, you are introducing bacteria into your body. IMO, also, sperm also serves to flush things out after sex.

Date: September 18, 2010 08:40PM

In my understanding the cervix only opens naturally to allow fluids to flow out, it's unlikely that bacteria present in the vagina would travel into the uterus against that flow. To force an opening into the cervix all the time, even when the body would have created a seal against entry seems like an invitation for trouble to me. I am sure doctors etc are schooled in promoting the use of the products they supply but there have been so many cases of PID following IUD use as to be a serious concern. What did those medical practitioners have to say about that?

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 20, 2010 05:03PM

Curator said,

"when I did a stress test, trying to stretch it out like a rubber band, purposely trying to rip it, it took me almost 2 minutes of trying to rip it apart with my bare hands to actually destroy it..."

That was exciting until you said 'with my bare hands'.

Date: September 20, 2010 11:35PM

Wha...? tf?

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: September 21, 2010 02:49PM

Trying to bring levity to the serious thread. Seemed like there was a joke in there someplace smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 22, 2010 07:30PM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying to bring levity to the serious thread.
> Seemed like there was a joke in there someplace smiling smiley

Um...wow...Okay, I guess you and I are just wired differently. Even the "two minutes spent ripping it apart" doesn't do anything for me. Anything ripped apart sounds painful and destructive...

Date: September 23, 2010 05:24PM

LOL, the condom was ripped apart, it wasnt being USED for its intended purpose, or anything similar, during this test,lol... just ripped apart with my bare hands to try and test how tough it is...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:05PM

I understood what you meant, Curator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables