Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buried Splinter Problem
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 07, 2010 08:47PM

I have a little annoyance that's starting to hurt a bit, so I have to do something about it. I got a tiny splinter or thorn or something in the side of my finger a month or so ago and it was so small I couldn't see it, so I didn't do anything about it. But now the area is red and a bit swollen and hurts, so what do I do? Do I have to get a needle and dig it out or is there a less painful way? I don't even know if I could find it.

We should have an Ask The Doctor Forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buried Splinter Problem
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 07, 2010 10:42PM

"Do I have to get a needle and dig it out or is there a less painful way? I don't even know if I could find it."

--- Note --- this is not medical advice ---

lol...Well, that is what I always do & it works out fine for me. Problem is, the longer it has a chance for skin to grow over it, the more difficult the extraction can be, especially since you mentioned that you may not be able to find it.

Actually I usually use a straight edge razor blade to work at it. Cleaned/sterilized well. If I dig at it & rinse the area, I can usually see the brown dot, which is the splinter.

I will also use Calcium Bentonite Clay (Living Clay Co.) which has a strong drawing power to it. If it is not that deep, it could possibly draw it out.

And then there is the dr....

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 08, 2010 01:44AM

I'm always getting into thorns. Once in a while one will get deeply imbedded or forgotten and skin over. Wetting the skin then probing gently with the eye-end of a needle might help to zero in on it, feeling carefully to try to pinpoint the spot where it is painful to the touch as opposed to merely very tender, then picking slowly to pierce the skin layers. There should be fluid around the source of irritation, a telltale sign you're in the right spot. You know the drill.

The clay or bandaging with aloe vera overnight might help bring it out too, and maybe less painfully.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 08, 2010 02:26PM

Agree with the previous advice. That it's irritated is a sign that it wants removing. Clay or a drawing salve(warning: many formulas contain tallow) could help. Speedy healing!

Date: November 08, 2010 03:08PM

I have a good idea - I'm going to scrub the area with a piece of steel wool to get to the bottom layer, and then try to find it. I know that salt would work to break it down -- I use it on poison ivy, and it works great - but I'm trying to avoid salt right now. I just have to get my courage up today.

Date: November 09, 2010 03:14AM

You could "freeze" the area first; Hold an ice cube on the area for as long as you can stand it. That will help lesson the pain as you go looking for the splinter.

Date: November 13, 2010 12:34PM

KidRaw,

Do you have an update on this situation? Just wondering how you made out with the self "surgery..."

Date: November 13, 2010 04:12PM

Thanks for asking, juicerkatz smiling smiley

I tried the steel wool and my finger turned gray from it, and then I went to work with the needle in different places and picked away, but never really found anything after trying about three spots. So I ended up with some cuts and now I'm waiting for them to heal, because now I think the sliver or whatever it is may be underneath where I was picking, because that feels worse now. It's just very annoying, but I learned my lesson and in the future I won't just leave it be when it happens.

I did get sidetracked and started thinking maybe it was Morgellens and then was looking that up online and got into articles about scabbies, and that was pretty depressing, so this is nothing compared to that.

Date: November 13, 2010 08:31PM

It could very well just work itself out...my wife had one of these several years ago, we had it x-rayed (gasp!) and the dr. said we could wait on it to possibly go away on its' own or have surgery to remove it.

We waited for a couple of months & it eventually disappeared, never returned. Her's was near a joint in her finger - very painful when she used it, but she managed to work through the pain.

Date: November 14, 2010 07:19PM

That is encouraging! Thanks for telling me that there's hope - it feels better already.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 19, 2010 10:01PM

I would use Iodine on it, as it will keep infection at bay and may help to release the thorn or sliver.

Peroxide also helps.

Soaking it in warm soapy water helps too.

A thin needle that you can (sterilize with a lighted match on the end of it) get under the sliver and get it to come to the surface. Pull out one end with a tweezers.

Love,
Prism

Date: November 20, 2010 02:34AM

Thanks, Prism! I had totally forgotten about peroxide and iodine. I had stopped sterilizing needles years ago - too lazy. Right now, it's healing from where I picked about three spots and the finger doesn't seem so swelled up, more localized, so I'll see if it gets all better soon.

BTW, with your essential oils - I hope you don't take this wrong, but I would caution you to be careful with the fumes. From my experience - if I put oils on my skin or just leave a bottle opened nearby for a period of time, it makes me feel dizzy (like vertigo) and light-headed and weak and weird. They're very potent.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:06PM

KidRaw,

Do you use a carrier oil for the volatile ones? It's a good idea. I second the iodine idea; don't know why this isn't a staple of first aid kits anymore . . .

Date: November 21, 2010 01:55PM

No, I don't use a carrier oil. I just have loads of bottles of essential oils from over the years. I love to smell them, but I have a problem with oils. Eating oils or even putting them on my skin (any oils, lotions, gels, creams, etc.) gives me terrible headaches. And then I have MCS - multiple chemical sensitivities. But I didn't realize even smelling essential oils would cause such a bad reaction. I had an open bottle of "Invigorating" oil (so that was probably in a carrier oil) on my desk and I was so sick for the past two weeks before I realized the oil was the reason. Thanks for asking.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 21, 2010 09:17PM

Multiple chemical sensitivities are a result of adrenal gland dysfunction.

Prism gave some good suggestions.

Date: November 22, 2010 07:13PM

I'll have to check out the adrenal gland dysfunction thing. I think there's a test for that at this health food store I go to that gives screenings. I wonder if the chemicals messed up the adrenals or the adrenals make a person sensitive to chemicals.

Date: December 03, 2010 05:46PM

The finger healed and it's okay now, no sign of a splinter or swelling. So thanks for all the support in my time of need, you guys smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 12, 2010 08:07PM

I make sure to use only pure therapeutic grade essential oils. I make my own combos. If you are not positive about what what is going into an essential oil product dont' use it..many are combos of synthetic materials.

Some essential oils are to be cautioned about using though as you said. I use grapeseed oil or almond oil as my carrier oil for my perfumes and massage oils.

I've made soaps, lotions, butters, perfumes, massage oils all with using essential oils, natural teas, leaves, and seeds, etc. It's fun and beneficial.

There is tons of info. on the subject and it's worth to get a couple good books on aromatherapy and soap making.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables