Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you clean a mason jar?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: September 13, 2010 09:27PM

I've been using this mason jar for green smoothies for almost 3 years now and it has a brownish tint that doesn't scrub off. How do I get it back to a crystal clear state?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you clean a mason jar?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 13, 2010 09:42PM

Wow, well, they are designed for canning, so you could put it in a large stockpot filled with cold water, bring it slowly to a boil, and simmer it for as long as it takes to remove accumulated scum. And don't let it get to that point again, mind!

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: September 13, 2010 10:21PM

An isopropyl alcohol and salt mixture is one of the best glass cleaners for non-optical glass.

Pour in a small amount alcohol, add some salt, swish it around some. Then wipe with a rag or sponge. Scrub with a small brush if needed. Finally, clean as you normally would to remove the salt. Works great to remove film that detergents or glass cleaners leave behind. Great for vases, glass lights, glass dish ware, smoke and vapor ware, pretty much any glass so long as it is not optical.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 13, 2010 10:44PM

I use bleach sometimes for stains on plastic and I imagine that glass would also become clear with bleach. I realize that some people may not like to use bleach for environmental reasons, but I reserve it for removing stains that I can't seem to with other substances. I initially thought you meant reaching into the mason jar and I found a nifty sponge with a handle that works well in jars.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 13, 2010 11:06PM

Is this just a plain old mason jar? When not just throw it away & use a new one. They're cheap enough...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2010 11:19PM

By "throw away" I'm sure you mean recycle, right? winking smiley

We used to clean glass coffee carafes at the end of the night with a mixture of vinegar and salt followed by boiling hot water, took off all the scunge. When I have burned something to the bottom of a pot in the past boiling water with baking soda in it has lifted the scorch off, sure that would work with glass and mason jars are ok to boil. Leave to cool in the water though before touching.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 13, 2010 11:33PM

Yes coco, recycle it! winking smiley

It just seems like too much hassle & a waste of water/resources to put all that effort into cleaning up something that is so easily replaceable.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: September 25, 2010 05:26AM

Steel wool works great on glassware.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 25, 2010 07:18AM

juicerkatz

if it gets thrown out it ends up in a landfill

and as far as the myth goes where people think that recycling is the answer to everything, it isn't

there is a TREMENDOUS amount of resources and energy expended in the process of recycling

so, it is a good idea to clean it and re use if possible

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 25, 2010 07:40AM

Quite La V - the throwaway society is one of the biggest problems for the planet. Just think for a minute about all the energy and raw materials needed to make stuff - why throw something away when it is perfectly useable. This consumer driven world (well parts of the world - some people have no possessions but that's another topic!!!) is appalling.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 25, 2010 09:57AM

yea

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 25, 2010 02:14PM

Agree, flipperjan and la_veronique: glass, unless it's broken, can be used for forever, so it should not be thrown away or recycled if at all salvageable.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 28, 2010 05:16AM

I agree, no point in throwing it out...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables