Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Happy Winter Solstice, folks! smiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:08PM

I am going to a meditation tonight at a temple smiling smiley

(Hey! Maybe for some in the other hemisphere it's the SUMMER solstice?! In any case, happyhappyjoyjoysmiling smiley)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Happy Winter Solstice, folks! smiling smiley
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:58PM

Happy Happy! Return of the sun! Yay!

Date: December 21, 2011 09:15PM

I am looking forward to more and more Sun! smiling smiley

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 21, 2011 09:52PM

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes!

Yule (Wiccan; Druidic)

In Wicca, Yule is observed as one of eight solar holidays, or Sabbat. In most Wiccan groups or covens, Yule marks the rebirth of the Great God in the form of the solstice sun. Although the name Yule may have been appropriated from Germanic and Norse paganism, elements of the celebration are of modern origin.

The root of the celebration is the northern Eurasian Indo-European celebration of the birth of Lugh or Odin. It was a time of great fires and festivities. Saint Patrick seemed to not be concerned that Irish Druidism and Christianity were mirrors of each other. The Sun was central to the Celtic religion because all life and existence relies on it, and the pursuit of the setting and rising sun were of great interest.

Perchta ritual (Germania, Alps)
Main article: Pre-Christian Alpine traditions

Early Germans (c.500–1000) considered the Norse goddess, Hertha or Bertha to be the goddess of light, domesticity and the home. They baked yeast cakes shaped like shoes, which were called Hertha's slippers, and filled with gifts. "During the Winter Solstice houses were decked with fir and evergreens to welcome her coming. When the family and serfs were gathered to dine, a great altar of flat stones was erected and here a fire of fir boughs was lain. Hertha descended through the smoke, guiding those who were wise in saga lore to foretell the fortunes of those persons at the feast".[28] There are also darker versions of Perchta which terrorize children along with Krampus. Many cities had practices of dramatizing the gods as characters roaming the streets. These traditions have continued in the rural regions of the Alps, and various similar traditions, such as Wren day, survived in the Celtic nations until recently. This is commonly used in Holland.

R
Rozhanitsa Feast (12th century Eastern Slavic Russian)

In 12th century Russia, the eastern Slavs worshiped the winter mother goddess, Rozhnitsa, offering bloodless sacrifices like honey, bread and cheese. Bright colored winter embroideries depicting the antlered goddess were made to honor the Feast of Rozhanitsa in late December. And white, deer-shaped cookies were given as lucky gifts. Some Russian women continued the observation of these traditions into the 20th century.[29]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Feasting all night around the bonfire, waiting the rising of the sun.

Date: December 21, 2011 10:41PM

Cute little video about all the celebrations that happen right about now...
[ca.news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:54PM

YES! First, a time to reflect on the dark things in our lives, and know that the cycle comes around, and the light comes again!!!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: December 22, 2011 03:30AM

Happy celebration of the light !!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:05PM

Happy Solstice right back at everyone! It's tentatively sunny here this morning--the Sun seems to know smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:57PM

Yay,days are getting longer already!
Hoping for no snow,and spring right around the corner.
vinny

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 23, 2011 03:59AM

Happy winter.

Date: December 25, 2011 12:23PM

I personally honor the new and full moon. Not into the kraft.

Date: December 26, 2011 07:00PM

rawalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally honor the new and full moon. Not into
> the kraft.

"Kraft?" Not into mac-n-cheeze? winking smiley No seriously, how is honoring the New/Full Moon any less Pagan? I am not a practioner of it myself but it is still the solstice, whether you honor it or not! Shortest day, yada yada...

Date: December 26, 2011 09:38PM

i don't know, having fun brand whoring? I personally look for quality.

Date: December 27, 2011 06:14PM

rawalice Wrote:
> i don't know, having fun brand whoring? I
> personally look for quality.

Okay, dear. I don't think you really are trying to communicate here so I wish you a belated Happy Boxing Day! winking smiley

Date: December 28, 2011 08:41AM

I remember Boxing Day in Jamaica. Lots of people got to go to what beach was left open to the public. Honestly, those guys and women prolly woulda liked to have worked instead. What does Boxing day stand for? I forget.

Date: December 28, 2011 01:16PM

The day after Xmas stores "box up" everything that hasn't sold. Of course they'd like to box up and store less so sales are very good to encourage people to take it all off their hands. Everywhere in the world that celebrates Christmas has a "boxing" day, whether they call it that or not. We just happen to use the clever title winking smiley.

Date: December 28, 2011 04:34PM

It's also the day one traditionally boxes up leftovers from Christmas Day and takes them to one's outer relatives one hasn't seen yet. It's a "visiting" day for Christmas.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 28, 2011 04:52PM

its original intention from what I understand in merry ol' england was that you boxed up the things you didnt want anymore and leftover foods ..and left them out for the poor to collect and get new things

it was like the orginal freecycle lol ...

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 28, 2011 05:11PM

I was thinking of collecting yard sale books to leave out too.

Date: December 28, 2011 05:57PM

I used to think Boxing Day had to do with BOXING the sport! I never think of boxing as a verb. Usually we say "wrapping things up," not boxing. But from the description, it sounds like it's morphed into yet another commercial excuse? Sweetness Day is the worst.

Date: December 28, 2011 06:38PM

We don't have that in Canada so when a BF from across the river brought me a present on "Sweetest Day" he had to tell me what it was for and then explain it to me, lol. I really didn't get it, I was like "Like Valentine's Day but in October?" Ha.

Date: December 28, 2011 08:08PM

Ugh, I meant SWEETEST Day. Amazing that people do it, given that we ALREADY HAVE Valentine's but I suppose I wouldn't mind someone giving me a giftwinking smiley

Date: December 28, 2011 08:23PM

I thought it was weird. I don't really like those obligatory gift giving holidays so much as spontaneous "hey, I saw this and thought you'd like it" occasions. That might be because I'm so anti-stuff collecting though, when I get a gift I feel like I've been burdened with the responsibility for a thing. Someone told me recently that I shouldn't try to curtail the spirit of giving in others by telling them not to give me things tongue sticking out smiley. I couldn't agree with that though, I'd rather think of it as redirecting their giving spirit by asking them to make a charitable donation instead of spending money at a store for some random thing I don't want or need. I really, really have enough stuff in my life.

Date: December 28, 2011 08:38PM

Yeah, "Secretary's Day," originally the day the boss would benevolently refrain from pinching the secretary's bum, I guess smiling smiley Secretaries, ahem, Administrative Assistants, should be respected every day, and the singling out of them for a card holiday cheapens the profession, and any other made-up card holiday object, IMO.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 29, 2011 05:31PM

I agree with Tamukha. And as far as I am concerned, every day is Christmas! But the winter solstice comes once a year and so does the summer sun standing still and all of the in between times, once each year on one side and the other. Every moment is to be honored, in Love and Gratefulness.

Date: December 30, 2011 02:24AM

rawalice Wrote:
> I was thinking of collecting yard sale books to
> leave out too.

children's books

Date: December 30, 2011 02:26AM

rawalice Wrote:
> I remember Boxing Day in Jamaica. Lots of people
> got to go to what beach was left open to the
> public. Honestly, those guys and women prolly
> woulda liked to have worked instead. What does
> Boxing day stand for? I forget.

(the postal workers i meant)

Date: December 30, 2011 02:29AM

December 26th: In the olden days, the well-to-do persons in society would erect a box in Church and Civic Centres and the day after Christmas, they would place donations in the form ofgifts and money in this box.

The contents of the box were then given to the plantation workers and the less privileged members of society. Hence, the name “Boxing” Day. Although the meaning may have changed a bit, the day is still wildly celebrated in Jamaica, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many other members of the commonwealth.

[www.my-island-jamaica.com]

Date: December 30, 2011 02:51AM

We were are the thrift store yesterday and there were PILES of brand new things on the shelves. I assumed them to be rejected gifts people had donated straight after receiving them. We didn't purchase any of them ourselves but they were all gone today when we went by to make a donation of our own.

Date: December 30, 2011 06:29AM

Doom means having to get involved in pollotics. Quack quack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables