Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Survival Measures
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: August 10, 2013 02:38PM

For Emergencies in case the power goes off -

I'm not into generators - they make a lot of noise and use gas or propane or something, so that turns me off. I'll just take my chances on dressing real warm and using the gas fireplace. Maybe get one of those things that you can burn stuff in, although the smell would make me sick.

Make a root cellar to store fruits and vegetables.

Get a hand pump put on the well. Keep lots of jars of water on hand.

Buy food for survival --

Seeds and containers to make sprouts

Dried fruits and vegetables

Nuts, Seeds, nut/seed butters.

Packaged raw prepared food - those bars and crackers, macaroons, cookies, all the raw packaged food.

Fermented vegetables.

Natural vitamins and supplements.

Superfoods,(especially spirulina, chlorella, etc.) dried powders, herbs.

Learn to identify your local wild edibles - foraging.

Also, have your bike in working order.

Get money out of the bank - During Hurricane Sandy, people had trouble because the ATM's didn't work.

Have a full tank of gas in your car.

Go to the Survival Sites and Forums because there is probably tons of other stuff that you absolutely need sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Survival Measures
Posted by: HH ()
Date: August 10, 2013 02:52PM

I have a massive supply of lighters for personal use and barter.

Date: August 10, 2013 05:00PM

That's a great idea! Think of the perfect product that's essential for survival. But only for the short term, because most people figure the power will be back on soon, so something like seeds that take a while to grow wouldn't work. Buy a lot of them - something that's cheap to buy, but you could sell it or trade it at a premium, something that you could use yourself later if you don't sell them, and something that doesn't go 'bad' - and take advantage of the emergency situation. Maybe toilet paper smiling smiley

Date: August 10, 2013 05:48PM

Batteries, condoms, shoe-laces, triple antibiotic ointment, and band-aids. Also, for those who will simply be looking for food and not trying to stay on a diet, I recommend fishing line and hooks, both of which are in my go bag. Sorry for the non-vegan reference, but we're talking survival here. Bait should be reasonably easy to find. Camu powder for vitamin C. [www.amazon.com] Two decent knives. I've been using these for years. The pocket clip is a great feature and have never lost one using it: [www.amazon.com] A handy sharpening steel: [www.amazon.com] A multi-tool. I recommend Leatherman. [www.amazon.com] Some kind of machete. This is unfortunately not a full tang machete, but the price is right and it's durable. I keep it and everything I've mentioned here in my go bag: [www.amazon.com]

I have one of these too: [www.amazon.com]

Oh and clay to help detox and for nutrients, especially if things go nuke-ya-ler: [www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 05:53PM by HH.

Date: August 10, 2013 08:18PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meh. I may not make it. I can't prepare.

I know what you mean - I'm feeling overwhelmed just looking at those tools eye rolling smiley

Date: August 10, 2013 09:17PM

People have different approaches and different situations. For example, I live in an urban area and there's no way I'm staying in it if something happens. Too many psychos under normal conditions. My objective will be to get to the farm I work on that's an hour car drive away, but I seriously doubt that I'll be able to drive. There are woods there and I'll likely have no conventional shelter, electric, or running water. Humping all that happy vegan homemaker crap would be ludicrous. Everything I mentioned can fit into one pack with some MRE type foods, dry clothes, seeds, etc. My partner wouldn't even need to carry a pack. I can bungee our tent and bags to the outside of mine. That's the best I can do for a plan in my MY situation. A situation that is shared by many. My go bag sits in a closet ready to, well, go. It will help me to get things I need through barter. It will also help me to get food, clean water, and to build things like small boats that will get us across the very large rivers in this area. There's nothing else I can do.

-Growing sprouts requires a clean, running water source. Not everone has a well. Most don't.
-Fermented foods require refrigeration. Refrigeration requires electric.
-Money? What good will money be? You need things like supplies for barter.

Other things that are actually useful: rope and/or something like hemp twine, a hammer, nails, spade, flashlight of course, I have a baggie filled with about 50 of these little gems that are useful and perfect for trade [www.amazon.com], and on and on...For me the key is to get it all into one pack which I've done.

So what are you going to do when you're stuck in your house and droves of hungry and irrational incompetents start pounding your door down?

Date: August 10, 2013 09:21PM

By the way, I take no offense at the eye roll, but it is too bad that we can't have a helpful discussion about this without it being reduced to that. Sorry if you're upset that I questioned the credibility of that person on the radio show, but there are so many scam artists who profit from fear-mongering it's ridiculous. If their vocabulary regularly includes the word "ain't," it probably means that they don't have the savvy to reach the lofty heights that they claim. What it does mean is that they're probably sitting in a trailer somewhere living on cheap wine and heavy delusions.

Date: August 11, 2013 01:34AM

No, I don't take offense at all - except that's the first time I've ever used the eyeroll because I never knew how to do it before and I looked it up special to use here. I was commiserating with Storm because I do tend to get lazy if something looks like it might be too much of an effort, or if I figure I can't do it.

It's impressive that you have all that survival gear organized; if you can make it to the farm, you'll be all set because you can grow all your food.

I can do the food and water and some other supplies, but when it comes to tools and weapons, I'm useless, so I think I'll get my husband a couple of those items for Christmas - if we're still around then - and he'll be the one to take care of those who come to steal our stuff.

That woman sounded pretty rough, but she supposedly worked at NASA I'm about half-way through the thing, but I think I'll switch over to the Marshall guy coast-to-coast video from May of this year.

I don't have any fear this time around, but I may get in some more supplies, like batteries, seeds, because I've gotten past the Planet X thing and I'm thinking we may be having a superstorm because of the magnetic pole flip, or at least some bad hurricane this fall, especially because I just saw this article on the MSN homepage --

"Are We Due for More & Worse Hurricanes?

The world is getting warmer & that could mean dire consequences. See how hurricanes develop from tropical depressions & how damaging they can be."

[local.msn.com]

10 States at Risk for Hurricanes

"The 2013 hurricane season is expected to be a wild one. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting up to 11 hurricanes — higher than the average six — with three to six of those developing into major, Category 3 or higher storms. If you live in one of these hurricane-prone states, consider this your warning."

[local.msn.com]

Last year we lost power for ten days because of Hurricane Sandy, so I figure it could be even longer with a superstorm, so that's what I mean by having your tank full of gas and have money out, because it won't be a SHTF situation, just very inconvenient.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 11, 2013 09:42PM

hmmm... very interesting thread
with ideas very worth considering
especially when nomadism must be analyzed
instead of sedentarianism ( farming)
and what that entails exactly
to shift from static to constantly moving
and what sources of supply are most amenable to that way of life
imminent changes mirror the punctuated changes that occurred throughout epochs
drastic changes in weather = certain species becoming extinct
and that is just the beginning
weather is definitely a key player
but certainly not the only player
not by a far stretch

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: August 13, 2013 12:09AM

For Emergencies in case the power goes off - Kid wrote?

My power has been off on my land for over 20 years, Did I miss my emergencies
You all gonna die if the trucks stop rolling I know milk toast when I see it!

Date: August 13, 2013 02:39AM

Oh yeah? So how do you use the internet?

riverhousebill Wrote:
> For Emergencies in case the power goes off - Kid
> wrote?
>
> My power has been off on my land for over 20
> years, Did I miss my emergencies
> You all gonna die if the trucks stop rolling I
> know milk toast when I see it!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2013 02:55PM

I have a pretty good emergency kit. I'm always amazed at peope who drive and don't have one thing in their car in case of an emergency. Like Nada.
I've got photocpies of all our ID and important documents, phone numbers etc in my kit. I'm looking for a treadle sewing machine or even a hand crank machine so I can sew without electricity. Hand stitching takes too long for projects like clothes and housewares.
We've lived as a family without heat, water, bathroom etc. A well with a bucket, an outhouse and a wood stove. We did have electricity for lights but it would have been easy to use lanterns and candles. Just gotta stock up on oil and learn how to make wicks and collect wax. Learning how to make soap is a good skill too.
Good luck being veg in a true power out, I mean for a long time. Your gonna at least need animal co-workers winking smiley.

Date: August 13, 2013 03:01PM

Oh yeah good call I'd keep hard copies of all your important IDs and documents. I'd also scan them onto a flash drive.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2013 03:04PM

How would you get them off the flash drive though? LOL. I try to keep hard copies of everything important. You gotta be willing to lose a lot of data, makes me really think about what's important... All those photos, ack.

Date: August 14, 2013 11:34PM

Coincidence or what! My power has been off for two days so far, so I guess I was foreseeing the future in this post.

OK, not the power, but the internet is down at my house for two days so far and no end in sight. They said maybe Friday morning it'll be back, but it could be 6 days. I'm at a coffee shop - bought some gluten-free cookies for my husband so I can use their wifi. Still, it's a huge drag, but I learned some things. I don't get more stuff done if I'm not going online all the time; instead I feel even more scattered and unorganized than usual. When I go online a lot and take breaks, I'm very organized and know exactly what I have to do, when I have to do it and I get it done. And it's amazing how must faster the time seems to go by when I'm not able go to online. A half hour is gone in a flash.

I guess this is what it's like for coco, when she has to go to the library to use the internet. They're wasting tons of money building a new huge $8 Million library in my little town of 6,000, when the old one only has about six people in it at any one time unless they have a kiddie event, and I was mad about that waste of money, but now I figure if they have a lot more computer than the three and there's wifi, I'm now glad they're building it.

Date: August 15, 2013 04:03AM

It's pretty amazing that you're getting a new library. I thought that most were lined up for the wrecking ball with no plans for a replacement.

Date: August 15, 2013 08:21PM

Well, like I said - the whole project makes us mad, because there wasn't a need for such a huge expensive one; One half as big would have sufficed. They planned to build it knowing the whole first floor would be empty and they didn't know what they were doing to do with it. Then they had to have another half a million dollars for furniture and equipment, then tons more money for a lot of books to fill it up, and then they raised our taxes. Now they think they'll use the first floor as a tourist center, even though nobody ever comes to our dinky little redneck town. Waste of taxpayers money. But if it's got a lot of computers and wifi access, I'll change my tune.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: August 15, 2013 08:55PM

HH Wrote:
> Oh yeah? So how do you use the internet?
>
> riverhousebill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
I hope this is not shocking HH but we in our rual area of garberville Have two internet cafes Treats or Emerald Traiangle. Oh yeah Oh Yeh Oh Yeah Na Na
Also even internet shills have friends and i have one who lets me use her computer anytime I want even thought I may be a shill or govt agent watcnting You and rose and Kidraw, just never know.
riverhouseshill commie from mars!

PS 80 percent of our county is off grid !

> Kid
> > wrote?
> >
> > My power has been off on my land for over 20
> > years, Did I miss my emergencies
> > You all gonna die if the trucks stop rolling I
> > know milk toast when I see it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 09:05PM by riverhousebill.

Date: August 15, 2013 09:39PM

rhb, I grew up dirt poor and sometimes living in houses with no running water and an outhouse and busting my a** doing farm work, so I can do it if I have to - I just don't want to.

Date: August 16, 2013 12:59PM

Can I come live with you? I'm sick of this "civilized" @#$%&.

riverhousebill Wrote:
> HH Wrote:
> -----
> > Oh yeah? So how do you use the internet?
> >
> > riverhousebill Wrote:
> >
>
> I hope this is not shocking HH but we in our
> rual area of garberville Have two internet cafes
> Treats or Emerald Traiangle. Oh yeah Oh Yeh Oh
> Yeah Na Na
> Also even internet shills have friends and i have
> one who lets me use her computer anytime I want
> even thought I may be a shill or govt agent
> watcnting You and rose and Kidraw, just never
> know.
> riverhouseshill commie from mars!
>
> PS 80 percent of our county is off grid !
>
>
> > Kid
> > > wrote?
> > >
> > > My power has been off on my land for over 20
> > > years, Did I miss my emergencies
> > > You all gonna die if the trucks stop rolling
> I
> > > know milk toast when I see it!

Date: August 16, 2013 03:12PM

Well, you and your significant other should move to VA. Although there are tons of Libs here - because it's a university town - they're into the organic farming, local produce, etc.,lots of farms and wineries, Whole Foods and two other HFS's nearby. And the weather's beautiful.

Date: August 17, 2013 12:05AM

Is land cheap?

Date: August 17, 2013 12:45AM

It depends. There's land, and then there's land... I see two acres at the foot of the mountains for $55,000. Mostly it's about $50,000 an acre around here if you buy a few acres, give or take, for a few choice locations, but then there's other land that's cheaper. There's 8 acres for $125,000, but not such great views. I see 28 acres for $280,000. This other one sounds beautiful -

Gently Rolling, Secluded Lot

7.72 acres
Water, Woods
Remarks
Rare River Front property only 15 minutes to town. Mature hardwood forest with an elevated building site overlooking the River. Walking trail down to the river.

$270,000

(Beautiful photos of a small creek or river.)

Date: August 17, 2013 01:45AM

Needless to say, my internet is back on today, thank goodness!

Date: August 17, 2013 01:47AM

Is that you!?!

Date: August 17, 2013 01:47AM

Yup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 01:56AM by KidRaw.

Date: August 17, 2013 02:04AM

You took it down! Well you definitely look like a raw foodist and super cool. Maybe I'll post my pic some time but I don't know with all the hostility I've gotten around here going back something like 3 years.

Date: August 17, 2013 02:11AM

I'm just glad I don't have a chicken neck smiling smiley Plus I think eating 100% raw takes years off your face. A lot of the hostility has left the board; I hope all the political talk didn't drive them away sad smiley

Date: August 17, 2013 02:15AM

What's good on Netflix? Me and my daughter are going to watch something, but we finished with Call the Midwife. We've watched Miss Marple, Rosemary & Thyme (that was good), Vera was good, Foyle's War was good, Agatha Christie, the old movies, old westerns. I don't like violent complicated modern movies. Is there something called Mr. Sefridge or something like that? We love BBC mini-series, but saw all the old ones.

OK, just looked it up - it's Mr. Selfridge. I guess we'll try it.

[fficial&client=firefox-a" rel="nofollow" >www.google.com]

I can't find Mr. Selfridge on Netflix. Oh, yeah, we watched Land Girls - that was good, too. And we started Inspector Lewis, but I can't always follow it - often it's hard to understand what the Brits are saying with their accent - like in Call the Midwife.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 02:23AM by KidRaw.

Date: August 17, 2013 02:52AM

Sounds like you've seen them all. My head is still spinning from my House of Cards marathon. Why don't you display an email address since we had PM powers taken away?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables